• This topic is locked This topic is locked
116 replies to this topic

#101 Ries

Ries

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:53 PM

What haste rating is needed for getting extra ticks from healing Rain? As goblin, and without being a goblin? Tryed to find some info about it, without luck.

#102 grishaan

grishaan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

This information can be found in the catclysm resto thread: http://elitistjerks....p4/#post1832020

Healing Rain:
5 ticks: 0 rating, 0% haste
6 ticks: 610 rating, 4,76% haste
7 ticks: 3050 rating, 23,81% haste
8 ticks: 5489 rating, 42,86% haste

(values if you have Wrath of air totem + amound of haste mentioned)
As a Goblin just subtract 128 haste rating or 1% haste.

#103 Corny22385

Corny22385

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

Did something change? I thought the goblin racial only improved hard casts?

#104 grishaan

grishaan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:39 AM

No, it affects every aspect of spells as casttime, time between ticks and so on. It's quite straightforward equal to 1% haste.

#105 ChocoboMog123

ChocoboMog123

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'm an officer in my guild and have very little knowledge of Shaman. The Ele in my guild is drastically underperforming, despite having plenty of gear available to him (only has 3 blues, but one is a 333 weapon). After reading through the guide here, twice, I took a detailed look into his logs. From what I can see, he's got a terrible uptime on Flame Shock and he's losing LvB crits because of it. But, it's hard for me to see if he's using Earth Shock appropriately (as much as possible, with 7-8 stacks), and that he's using UE appropriately. His casts seem close enough together for our standards, so I don't think latency is a major issue.

My questions are:
What would be major reasons for loss in DPS, from the above? From some quick napkin math, the lost LvB crits were worth about 500 DPS, the lost uptime on Flame Shock was worth, at best, 50 DPS. but this guy is below the main tank if there's seemingly any movement at all - so where was that damage lost?

Are the above conceptions about Ele correct? (I don't want to misconstrue anything to the Shaman in question.)

Is there any time when it's better to use Earth Shock than keeping up Flame Shock? For example, if you've just cast LvB, Flame Shock has 3 seconds left, Shock is off CD, and you have 9 stacks of Lightning Shield - what do you do?

Between an instant LvB or UE, on the move, which should be chosen? I'm guessing LvB. But, what if you need to move for two GCD's?

Here's our WoL, if anyone cares to dig through it: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

#106 Divis0R

Divis0R

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

@ChocoboMog123: I checked your last log, and yes, seems he is a bit underperforming. A few reasons:
- No glyph of Flame Shock. It extends the duration from 18 to 27 seconds. Means less applications, higher uptime, more dps on Lava Burst due to more crits.
- Way too many Chain Lightnings. Chain Lightning should not be used unless it can hit at least 2 targets. Otherwise, it's a dps loss, regardless of the lower cast time.
- Too many Unleash Flame. Unleash Flame should be used while moving. Period. If you are super aware and can track easily all procs and their durations and manage to detect a time when your trinkets proc and you have EM and UE off cd, and over 6 charges of LS, it's worth to do a EM -> UE -> LvB sequence for increased effect, and make sure you can drop an Earth Shock with as many LS charges as possible before the procs drop. But otherwise, UE is not worth the GCD cost.

Also, regarding your question, FS is always a priority over ES. If glyphed, it returns the highest damage per time spent casting from all the Elemental Shaman spells. And about the other question, insta-LvB or UE on the move, the answer is UE, clearly. EM should be saved for "stand-and-shoot" moments, when you can use it's full benefit. If you need to move for 2 GCD's, it's UE + FS, even if you clip half of FS duration. If it's more than half duration, then refresh Searing Totem, use ES, if you can hit something that won't be knocked back or if you have it glyphed, use Thunderstorm. There are options.

#107 Corny22385

Corny22385

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

In general the best thing an elemental shaman can do to increase his dps is to know the fight well enough to rarely need to move or use things like Goblin jump at good times to avoid extra movement. 100% uptime on FS is important, because each tick can proc a new lava burst cooldown reset which is much more than 50dps. Unless your warlock is demo, your shaman needs 100% uptime on totemic wrath with searing totem or fire elemental. When he does drop a fire elemental, try to do so when int or spellpower procs or volcanic potions are active as it will increase its dps for the totem's full duration. As divisor stated, FS glyph would help a lot, do not use chain lightning on a single target, earthshock between 6-9 stacks, and do not use UE unless you have to move.

I armoried him and found several things not min/maxed that will improve his dps. He is using the wrong meta gem, he needs "burning" which is Int plus 3% extra crit damage. He is using 2 orange gems in red sockets which is bad, as well as going for a 10 crit bonus in his boots instead of using a red gem to gain 40 int. While his shoulders are still blue, shoulder enchants are still a fairly cheap major upgrade. The new 50 int wrist enchant is pricy, but is still much better than 50 haste. He is not using a single piece of tier 11 and both set bonuses are good, so he needs to get them. Resto gloves or shoulders are the usual offset pieces of choice, but some guilds that are just starting hardmodes use the 372 helm from halfus as an offpiece.

I do not know how much volcano decks are on your server, but it is 2nd bis even with heroic trinkets from what I've read, so it would be a very good investment to use that with the mirror that he has. He is using the stamina leg enchant instead of the spirit one which is just a waste of a lot of spirit / hit. He will have to redo his hit reforging again, but it is a really big gain. Finally, it is super expensive, but power torrent on his weapon would be a big upgrade too when he gets a weapon worth putting it on.

Other than those things, he seems to understand what to reforge and that hit cap is important so he seems to have a general idea how to fix them.

#108 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

This is all fine general advice, but remember this isn't a help desk. We discuss and refine our understanding of class mechanics and best practices, and expect readers to learn and apply that information for themselves.

#109 ehakam

ehakam

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Why is everyone suggesting not to use Chain Lightning on a single target? From my own logs and calculations, the unglyphed CL has higher DPET than the non 4-piece t10 LB, and just barely better than the 4-piece t10 LB. Quick napkin math will show that crit, haste and mastery affect the two exactly the same, and the execution time for CL is 3/4 that of LB. The coefficients for LB is 71.4%, and CL is 57.1% (3/4 of 71.4% is 53.6%, and if you include 4pt10 is 56.4%), so it scales slightly better.

The only reason I have for not using it on every cooldown is that the mana cost is too intensive. However, because of the lower cast time, I have found it's useful to stick it in your rotation when LvB has less than 1s or so on it's cooldown, such that you can minimize the time that your LvB is on cooldown.

#110 Corny22385

Corny22385

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

From what I've read, CL takes your crit percent and mastery chance to overload and divides it by your maximum number of jumps. So unglyphed would be 1/3 and glyphed would be 1/5. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is why I do not use it on one mob.

#111 Skye McCloud

Skye McCloud

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

What is the spell coefficient for Searing Flames. We know that Searing Totem gets 16.67% of the shaman's spell power per tick, or 400.08% over the entire totem, but how much is Searing Flames getting of that?

#112 Krutsik

Krutsik

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

The coefficient is excactly the same. Searing flames does damage equal to the damage of a searing bolt over 15 seconds.

#113 cvs79

cvs79

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

Isnt spell hit important anymore for enhancement shamans? The current rawr build doenst optimize for it. It suggests reforging my gear to 1660 hit instead of hitting the spell hit cap.

#114 Timetodance

Timetodance

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:22 AM

Short Answer: Spell Hit is important for Enhancement Shaman.

Long Answer: Rawr's optimizer calculates what the best combination of gear is from the options you give it. Now putting you just under the spell hit cap (1660 rating is 16.2% hit, 0.8% under 17%) and increasing your agility/mastery/etc may result in giving you a higher dps score.
Now, if you don't like it doing that for what is possibly a very minimal dps gain, in the Optimizer there is an option to provide extra restrictions. One of these restrictions is making sure it keeps you at the spell hit cap ("% Chance to Miss (Spell)").

#115 Venaliter

Venaliter

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'm in search of a couple good Power Auras scripts/Add-ons to notify me when Tidal Waves is up (preferably surrounded by some kind of blue aura) and a notification to notify me when Water Shield is down ( a warning of some sort)

Does anyone have something like this set up, or do you use another add-on? Do you find it worthwhile to track these at a glance? Is there some other aura (Such as Lightning Shield) you track actively ?

#116 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

The best way to get the Power Auras addon to do what you want it to is to play around with it. Try some options and see what they do. If you're using someone else's aura set, it will be customized for that person's preferences, not yours. But with that said, one way to learn how things work is to start with an existing aura and play around with modifying it. Here are some that might help get you started:

While these are hunter auras, they do a good job of showcasing the basic features of the addon. There's even a how-to video.

These auras can help an elemental shaman manage the way that procs affect the spell priority. They're more advanced, and use conditional logic.

This post (it's also linked in my signature) includes the auras I use for tracking water, earth, and lightning shields.

#117 Derfal

Derfal

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

HealBot displays the shields on each toon in the party / raid - your shields and other shamans shields, however it can't notify you if someone overwrites your shield. Totem Timers has will display the shields (plural) that you currently have active and the number of charges left. I can't comment on Grid as I've not used it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users