• This topic is locked This topic is locked
355 replies to this topic

#1 Narcosleepy

Narcosleepy

It's not you. Really. I hate everyone.

• ♦ Administrators
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. Post here IF:
  • Your question requires a simple, brief answer.
  • Your question does NOT belong in one of our existing threads.
  • Your question is unlikely to spark sufficient discussion to warrant being its own thread.

Please note ALL forum rules still apply. For that reason, this is NOT the thread for:
  • Begging for hand-holding
  • Asking a question that could be answered by reading another thread
  • Inventing new and interesting ways to violate the civil rights of ellipses
  • Whining
  • Violating any of our forum rules, with which you should be familiar before posting anywhere. Especially here.

If this signature offends you please complain to the management.

#2 R00k!3

R00k!3

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:47 PM

What do you guys use Camouflage for?

I was thinking about possible situations where I might use it, however so far the only thing that it seems to be great for are gathering quests.

Any ideas?

#3 ceelion22

ceelion22

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

I was thinking about possible situations where I might use it, however so far the only thing that it seems to be great for are gathering quests.

Any ideas?

pre-pull trapping. I think it'll be more accurate than the launcher for pulls with larger groups.

#4 R00k!3

R00k!3

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:57 AM

Won't the mobs detect you when you come to close or am I missing something? I got uncovered by several Level 85 mobs by now.

#5 homer115

homer115

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

Should i be spamming cobra shot? it hits harder then steady shot. im survival spec. or should i be using cobra shot when i need the 6 extra seconds to SrS? does CoS increase the serpent sting damage even if its like 19 seconds left?

#6 Nyth_

Nyth_

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

Any ideas?

There are a couple of uses for it. It's not a huge skill tho.

Limiting to PvE there are 2 solid uses for it, both working of the fact you reduce aggro radius enormously:

1. Positioning. You can get around easy, get in a good position. This can be nice for some boss fights, or when you need to trap some trash.

2. Questing. Go do the dailies at Tol Barad for example, you can use camouflage to just run past most of the fast respawning mobs to the places you want to go.
For example yesterday I had to steal some fish from the docks. I just popped camo, ran through the town to the docks and started fighting there, skipping roughly 5 minutes worth of clearing trash.

As for mob detection: It might be specific to individual mobs, but I found that camouflage gives you nearly the same low detection range as stealth. Most 85 mobs only detect me when I truely stand right in front or right on top of them.

Should i be spamming cobra shot? it hits harder then steady shot. im survival spec. or should i be using cobra shot when i need the 6 extra seconds to SrS? does CoS increase the serpent sting damage even if its like 19 seconds left?

You should be spamming Cobra Shot. For survival (and BM for that matter) it is much better than steady shot in virtually every way. (Same focus gain, same cast time, extends serpent sting so you don't have to reapply it, does more damage because it ignores armor, and it works with SV mastery).

MM is the only one that currently uses steady shot as they have talents to improve that.

Cobra Shot adds 6 seconds every time it lands, up to a maximum of 21 seconds i believe. In practice it comes down to the fact your serpent sting will never need a refresh, as you fire your cobra more than once per 6 seconds.

#7 pichuca

pichuca

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

There are a couple of uses for it. It's not a huge skill tho.

Limiting to PvE there are 2 solid uses for it, both working of the fact you reduce aggro radius enormously:

1. Positioning. You can get around easy, get in a good position. This can be nice for some boss fights, or when you need to trap some trash.

2. Questing. Go do the dailies at Tol Barad for example, you can use camouflage to just run past most of the fast respawning mobs to the places you want to go.
For example yesterday I had to steal some fish from the docks. I just popped camo, ran through the town to the docks and started fighting there, skipping roughly 5 minutes worth of clearing trash.

As for mob detection: It might be specific to individual mobs, but I found that camouflage gives you nearly the same low detection range as stealth. Most 85 mobs only detect me when I truely stand right in front or right on top of them.

You should be spamming Cobra Shot. For survival (and BM for that matter) it is much better than steady shot in virtually every way. (Same focus gain, same cast time, extends serpent sting so you don't have to reapply it, does more damage because it ignores armor, and it works with SV mastery).

MM is the only one that currently uses steady shot as they have talents to improve that.

Cobra Shot adds 6 seconds every time it lands, up to a maximum of 21 seconds i believe. In practice it comes down to the fact your serpent sting will never need a refresh, as you fire your cobra more than once per 6 seconds.

In fact, it would be possible to spam cobra shot during the first 20% of the fight (Due to Careful Aim) ignoring Arcane shot at all, at a certain level of mastery and haste or while under the effect of a haste CD (Berserking, Rapid Fire, BL/Heroism), as it actually hits harder (At least on the few heroic dungeons I ran, need to confirm this via Femaledwarf or live raid testing, but some early logs show Cobra hitting harder than Arcane) and has a higher Crit chance due to Careful aim. Even it would be worth ignoring arcane shot during Rapid Fire/Bloodlust, despite being at 100 focus. At this point I´m wondering.. Does Kill command trigger Global CD? if not it would be a the focus dump during those phases.

#8 Nooska

Nooska

King Hippo

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:07 AM

Yes, Kill Command is on the GCD, it is an actual attack now and not a buff to the pets next attack.

#9 jarlelin

jarlelin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

Does the talent Point of No Escape (6% crit in frost trap) actually work on bosses or mobs that are immune to slowing effects? (assuming you can get the trap to deploy)

#10 Nooska

Nooska

King Hippo

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Does the talent Point of No Escape (6% crit in frost trap) actually work on bosses or mobs that are immune to slowing effects? (assuming you can get the trap to deploy)

Point of No Escape
Increases the ranged critical strike chance of all of your attacks on targets affected by your Ice Trap and Freezing Trap by 3/6%.

I am uncertain as to whether we have specific data yet, but reading the talent as quoted above, the answer seems to be no. The operative word here is that it increases th chance on targets that are affected - if a mob is immune, it isn't affected by the effect it is immune to.

#11 Vreil

Vreil

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

is there a pet that gives the buff to increase exp,srs and cos? thinking about wind serpent here or is elemental and magical 2 very different types of dmg?
Bite the Pillow kid. It's going in dry

#12 homer115

homer115

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

Since kill command is now on GCD. Should i be using acrane shot as focus dump ?

#13 justarb

justarb

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:50 AM

Hopefully a simple question about reforging - What is the stat priority for BM Hunters when it comes to reforging? I understand that Mastery is our worst stat, but if there's no mastery I can reforge, what next?

#14 Parmesan Jenkins

Parmesan Jenkins

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

Is there any knowledge on Serpent Spread? I was wondering mostly if having 2/2 would boost ISrS, or if I should drop the point for 3/3 One with Nature

#15 Nyth_

Nyth_

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

Since kill command is now on GCD. Should i be using acrane shot as focus dump ?

Arcane is indeed your focus dump. The idea is to fill the room between your "main abilities" (Kill Command for BM) with cobra shots, and if your focus gets too high you use arcane shot to dump some. It usually comes down to a judgemental call from the hunter when he uses what shot.

anyone know waht is gonna be the top spec at 85?im guessing MM

Survival is currently top contender at 85. The other specs actually hardly come close.

Is there any knowledge on Serpent Spread? I was wondering mostly if having 2/2 would boost ISrS, or if I should drop the point for 3/3 One with Nature

It doesn't. Improved Serpent Sting will always take 30% of the full 15 second duration, despite how many ranks you have in Serpent Spread.
That is the reason why quite frankly any more than 1 point in Serpent Spread is borderline useless.

#16 ov3rl0rd

ov3rl0rd

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

Is mastery rating rounding down, like 18.01 and 18.99 mastery means 18% elemental damage (for survival)?

#17 Polnedra

Polnedra

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

At the moment my shot priority for survival looks a little like this:
Black Arrow > Serpent Sting (Only Once per target) > Explosive > Cobra > Arcane (When getting close to 100 focus)

Is there anything people have found works better? and also when you get TNT Procs, Do you have for explosive shot to tick before firing it again, or do you break it up with a free arcane? ES - AS - ES?

Thanks for the help :)

#18 Desaan

Desaan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:49 AM

At the moment my shot priority for survival looks a little like this:
Black Arrow > Serpent Sting (Only Once per target) > Explosive > Cobra > Arcane (When getting close to 100 focus)

Is there anything people have found works better? and also when you get TNT Procs, Do you have for explosive shot to tick before firing it again, or do you break it up with a free arcane? ES - AS - ES?

Thanks for the help :)

You should always SS your target first, 2/2 Noxious Sting increases your damage on said target by 10% whilst active.

I've been using this spec with some success Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft and generally my rotation goes something like this - Serpent Sting > BA > ES > Steady Shot > Steady Shot> Cobra Shot. Usually by that point a single target is almost dead at least on heroic by which point Kill Shot takes priority. In the case of TNT procs I continue my normal rotation to some degree by at least keeping up the Steady Shot talent haste buff and throwing in the Explosive shots before the first and after the last Steady Shots using AS to dump focus.

It's a judgement call mostly depending on thrill of the hunt procs and how much focus your sitting on but even using Arcane Shot as a dump can still net you a reduced shot cost but that doesn't happen too often, just stick with the rotation and keep an eye on your focus and don't mash ES on TNT proc's. Takes some practice but you get into a groove after a while.

#19 Ardeaf

Ardeaf

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:56 AM

I've been using this spec with some success Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft and generally my rotation goes something like this - Serpent Sting > BA > ES > Steady Shot > Steady Shot> Cobra Shot. Usually by that point a single target is almost dead at least on heroic by which point Kill Shot takes priority. In the case of TNT procs I continue my normal rotation to some degree by at least keeping up the Steady Shot talent haste buff and throwing in the Explosive shots before the first and after the last Steady Shots using AS to dump focus.

Why use steady shot at all as survival?

#20 Desaan

Desaan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:06 AM

Why use steady shot at all as survival?

As with most of the current spec's I'm finding auto shot to be one of my top 3 damage sources and what's not to like about an extra 15% haste for 8 seconds with the Steady Shot talent? I usually roll with a warrior in my group for heroics so I'm seeing very little difference between my Steady and Cobra shot damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users