• This topic is locked This topic is locked
355 replies to this topic

#41 Excalin

Excalin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

I'm not sure this is the correct spot to ask, but does anyone have any tips or suggestions, macros etc, to help with this auto-targeting/auto-shot issue? I've had my fill of pulling non aggressive trash in Lost City or breaking CC after my targeted mob dies mid cast of a cobra shot or a auto shot (for example) fires off. I do try to watch the health of the mob, and also try to make a conscious effort to combat this problem, but it's (and I'm) not perfect. I've twice now been booted from randoms due to this and it's quite frustrating.

There is a setting that stops the auto attack when you select a new mob under combat I believe that would help to reduce this issue a bit

#42 McGarnicle

McGarnicle

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

There is a setting that stops the auto attack when you select a new mob under combat I believe that would help to reduce this issue a bit

I should have mentioned that I do have the "Stop Auto Attack" option checked. The problem is, that if the targeted mob dies mid cast you auto target the next closest mob and your cast continues, or an auto shot fires off. I can for the most part control a cobra shot when a mob dies mid cast, but many times an auto shot still fires off. This is very troublesome when it breaks CC.

#43 proxx

proxx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

The problem seems to be that for a lot of hunter shots, if you press it right as the mob dies, instead of going "no target selected" like pretty much every other class, it automatically targets the nearest available mob (in much the same manner as tab targeting), and hits them.
The simple answer is to just stop using abilities when the mob is about to die if theres another pack within range. Its possible you'll get one less shot per mob every now and then, but its not actually effecting group sucess negatively. The other option is to be ready to mash the hell out of FD the second you realise its happened. I can usually feign and reset the pack before aggro chains onto the group in this situation.

#44 Xaraphyne

Xaraphyne

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

If you have your options set to stop auto attack when switching targets, and you only hit the ability once after the mob you were attacking dies, it does do the "no target selected" error and you don't attack. It'll select a new target, but won't use the ability or be auto attacking. If you're mid-cast when a mob dies, it doesn't just switch to another target either, it'll give you an error and stop. However, if you hit an ability more than once after a mob dies, and most of us are spamming whatever we want to hit next, it will go off, and if it doesn't have a cast time, your Auto Shot will be triggered instantly as well.

I believe this change came around sometime in BC... Before that, I don't believe it would just find a target for you if you were spamming an ability without a target selected. I've resorted to stopping spamming when a mob's about to die, and being quick to feign as well (but what hunter isn't!).

#45 Sahg

Sahg

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:42 AM

I have run into an issue where aspect changing "munches" GCDs or parts of GCDs when used in macros. The macro /cast !AotH /cast ES (which you should use on all fights where you might go into fox so it's one keypress when casting ES on the move (try doing elemental council without one)) seems to produce this bug when mashed when ES is off cooldown rather than closing in on getting off CD. Naturally it occurs most often when LnL procs and you use ES -> cobra -> ES. I have caught it on fraps and I can reproduce it consistently when mashing the button, it does however not happen when not mashing aka single pressing.

Can anyone please try this out and see if they can reproduce it? I know not mashing buttons is an easy fix but it's a hard habit to shake...

#46 Excalin

Excalin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

I believe this change came around sometime in BC... Before that, I don't believe it would just find a target for you if you were spamming an ability without a target selected. I've resorted to stopping spamming when a mob's about to die, and being quick to feign as well (but what hunter isn't!).

I remember the days before the change cursing that I couldnt tab a mob in range cause I was to far away....now I curse firing at mobs I dont want to cause auto target is to clumsy....maybe for trash I need an assist tank macro that stop when he has no target...doh he changed targets again *shrugs*....maybe stopmacro command in general would keep it from happening. In theory I would hope it would make you mannually tab or click the target before it tries to shoot?

This is the kind of macro I made to camp my spirit beast so it would only go off if the mob popped and was targeted. The macro would still trigger the ability if I manually targeted another mob, but the macro wouldn't cause another mob other then the target listed to be targeted by hitting the button.

#47 footloop

footloop

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

I wouldn't use an unconditional assist macro, then you're relying on the tank's targeting not to screw up. If you really want to get rid of auto-targeting then you could probably macro "/cast [exists, harm] spell" for the abilities you tend to spam.

#48 PLorix

PLorix

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

hi. I have a question about mastery.

I have: 1604 mastery rating (+8.95 mastery). (8.00+8.95=16.95 Mastery). When I read the text it says "Increases all elemental damage you deal by 16%. Each point of Mastery increases elemental damage by an additional 1.0%."

so my question is. Does it increase my damage for 16.95% or 16%?

#49 Cranch

Cranch

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

I wouldn't use an unconditional assist macro, then you're relying on the tank's targeting not to screw up. If you really want to get rid of auto-targeting then you could probably macro "/cast [exists, harm] spell" for the abilities you tend to spam.

That won't fix the autoshot going off, though, correct?

#50 Ysbadaddin

Ysbadaddin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

Similar to shots hitting another mob when your target dies, has anyone had this happen with their pet? I've been using my fox (Ashtail) and sometimes after a mob dies he runs off in a random direction and aggroes something, or even attacks it. I kept him on passive after he did it in an instance last night, although the mob he attacked had not attacked me.

#51 Bullshot

Bullshot

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:37 AM

Similar to shots hitting another mob when your target dies, has anyone had this happen with their pet? I've been using my fox (Ashtail) and sometimes after a mob dies he runs off in a random direction and aggroes something, or even attacks it. I kept him on passive after he did it in an instance last night, although the mob he attacked had not attacked me.

Foxes are killing critters at the moment, so it could be that it went to kill one and proximity-aggro'd something else.

#52 TrevvyTrev

TrevvyTrev

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

Foxes are killing critters at the moment, so it could be that it went to kill one and proximity-aggro'd something else.

And just to add to this, the reason foxes are killing critters is because tailspin is an aoe debuff that puts the critters on their threat list, and because critters don't attack, they flee. This seems like a new issue because now pets have AoE debuffs that do zero damage, whereas pre-revamp the pets would have just instantly killed critters with the damage from whatever their AoE family ability was.

Bears will do this also, with demoralizing roar. Some critters will get the debuff and high-tail it somewhere, so when the bear is done attacking its real target it runs in a seemingly random direction but really it is just chasing a frightened critter.

#53 Lokrick

Lokrick

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

I should have mentioned that I do have the "Stop Auto Attack" option checked. The problem is, that if the targeted mob dies mid cast you auto target the next closest mob and your cast continues, or an auto shot fires off. I can for the most part control a cobra shot when a mob dies mid cast, but many times an auto shot still fires off. This is very troublesome when it breaks CC.

The other techniques I use to mitigate this are:
  • Stand far back so that additional groups are out of range.
  • Position so that my frontal cone does not include additional groups.
  • When KS is available on a target, spam the two KS (which won't retarget to targets >20%), and deliberately switch targets. Most mobs won't survive to get another pair of KS, so I'd rather get the careful aim buff on the next target.
These are certainly situational (and the merchants and camels vortex are a pain), but where they apply they help a lot, and part of good technique is to make these situations happen. Make sure that your KS macro doesn't include /startattack of /use !auto shot, since that will change targets and start shooting. I will try the "/use [exists,nodead,harm]" suggestion earlier to enable spamming of AS in the <20% case without risk of retargeting.

#54 Pyria

Pyria

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:59 PM

A quick question about clipping Explosive Shot during Lock and Load: Is it impossible to clip an ES if you cast anything with a GCD in between? I'm thinking that since ES lasts two seconds and the ES GCD plus another GCD is also two seconds it should therefore be safe to cast, say, ES -> BA -> ES -> SrS -> ES as fast as humanly possible. I'd just appreciate some peace of mind when I actually do this because I find it hard to tell whether I'm clipping in these situations.

#55 Tikiman49

Tikiman49

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

Your logic is correct, except for the fact that you have to account for travel time. Thus, if you spam these abilities in a fight where you and the boss are completely stationary, you're fine. However, in a 0 latency situation, if the boss move towards you at all, you end up clipping the last tick of Explosive Shot. Best way is to just wait a slight beat before casting it after your filler shot during a LnL proc.

#56 Zhunt

Zhunt

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hi folks,

I have a few questions for which I did not find any answer yet by searching a bit in several forums.
Since the 4.0.x, I were not able to set the following helps to ease my DPS rotation:

- no way to be able to update my old macro sending my pet while placing the mark on the target...
/pet attack or /launch pet attack or /cast pet attack... ??? no way to use it in a macro. I am presently obliged to set a short cut to the pet attack button bar ... This macro is very helpful to change target during the combat.

- I have not been able to set power aura in order to watch the cooldown of my kill command either by setting the surveillance of the "availability" of the action or the associated cooldown

- Is it possible to set a macro to stop the cobra shot to be able to interrupt the target casting
a /stopcasting in my macro do not stop my cobra shot...

If someone could help me for this specific points or one of these; you are welcome.
It is my first post in this forum thus I hope I am not too much out of subject since it is much more questions about add-on or macro.

thanks for this forum anyhow.
Z

#57 Xaraphyne

Xaraphyne

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

1) The macro line you'll want is just /petattack. IE:

/petattack
/cast Hunter's Mark

2) It may be that your Power Auras is having difficulties. I had to reload my UI every time I created a new aura recently for them to start showing/triggering properly. The 'action usable' option should work with Kill Command.

3) Try two lines of /stopcasting. It's the only way I've seen it work since BC. I have the following macro that works to interrupt Steady/Cobra and cast Feign Death:

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/stopcasting
/cast Feign Death

#58 lillbrorsan

lillbrorsan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

What are your thoughts of Goblin and their racials for Hunter DPS?

Which one of Orc, Troll and Goblin gives the best racials for increasing your DPS?

#59 Gada

Gada

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

What are your thoughts of Goblin and their racials for Hunter DPS?

Which one of Orc, Troll and Goblin gives the best racials for increasing your DPS?

Orc > Goblin > Troll in that order regardless of weapon type.

#60 Ferretmonger

Ferretmonger

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Concerning secondary stat balancing: has anyone perhaps come up with a ratio or some target values one should be aiming for in order to have an optimal set up when looking at Crit/Haste/Mastery (once Hit Rating is capped of course)?

My reasoning behind a ratio or certain target values is as follows:
Taking MM as an example, we've seen that technically Mastery is the "best" and Haste the "worst" secondary stat when looking at increasing DPS. However, crippling one's Haste in order to boost Mastery and/or Crit severely lengthens the cast time of one's Steady Shots which in turn affects one's Focus regeneration and increases the likelihood of the cast being interrupted during a boss fight, ergo affecting both Focus regen and DPS. So my thinking in the case of MM is that one should aim for a certain amount of Haste in order to keep Steady Shot at a reasonable cast time which should help DPS overall.
Thoughts?

And just to add to this, the reason foxes are killing critters is because tailspin is an aoe debuff that puts the critters on their threat list, and because critters don't attack, they flee. This seems like a new issue because now pets have AoE debuffs that do zero damage, whereas pre-revamp the pets would have just instantly killed critters with the damage from whatever their AoE family ability was.

Bears will do this also, with demoralizing roar. Some critters will get the debuff and high-tail it somewhere, so when the bear is done attacking its real target it runs in a seemingly random direction but really it is just chasing a frightened critter.

This explanation makes perfect sense with any "debuff" pet but I've had my wolf ("buff" pet) perform the very same "run at a tangent and aggro an extra pack" as well on more than one occasion for no apparent reason; he definitely wasn't feared I made sure of that. Not saying you're incorrect, but would love to find an explanation behind my wolf's behaviour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users