• This topic is locked This topic is locked
178 replies to this topic

#1 Vykromond

Vykromond

the staleness of Max's dumps

• Moderators
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. If your question applies to one of the existing thread topics, please post it there instead; if you expect to generate significant additional discussion, create a new thread. If, however, you have a simple question that only requires a simple answer and don't see a better place to post it, this is your thread.

Note, however, that all forum rules still apply. You should still verify via search that the answer isn't already covered on the forum. Asking people to make specific gear or spec decisions for you is still against the rules. Proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling are important even in short posts. This thread is for simple questions- not stupid ones.

#2 MaddHawk

MaddHawk

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:31 AM

Stat prioritization, do I have it right?

Arcane:
Hit (till cap)
Intellect
Haste
Mastery
Crit

Fire:
Hit (till cap)
Intellect
Crit
Haste
Mastery

Frost:
Hit (till cap)
Intellect
Haste
Crit
Mastery
[58:Death]: [Death] has earned the achievement [An Honorable Kill]!
[80:Kyrielle]: Death has begun his assualt!!
[70:Medeoan]: Death has begun to stalk the alliance!!
[58:Death]: **** YEA!!!

#3 Celebrin

Celebrin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

Generally, Intellect is our best stat, which goes even above Hit.
For Frost, one might view Crit like a stat which has a cap. When below 33,34% raid-buffed, Crit is much better than Haste and Mastery (which are very close to each other), but should fall below after that number. I have not compiled any gear profiles yet, but, judging by Nathyiel's post in the Frost Cataclysm Discussion thread, the desired amount of Crit may be obtained somewhere in 359-372 average iLevel gear.
For Arcane, Haste and Mastery are very close. At some point, Mastery gains the upper hand (for explanation, you may refer to this post by Logix: http://elitistjerks....p4/#post1780080 ). It is confirmed by Lhivera's SimulationCraft Output results, which show Haste above Mastery for 346 and 359 iLevel profiles, but the reverse for 372 iLevel profile.
For a more solidly grounded view (I am by no means pretending to be a theorycrafter), you may want to refer to a general compilation on information about mages by Vontre (http://elitistjerks....lysmic_changes/ ) and Lhivera's [awesome] SimulationCraft output results: Index of /misc/sc403/mage

#4 Qabian

Qabian

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:22 PM

Expected usefulness of Mirror Image cooldowns aside from temporary threat removal, and any connection between the MI glyph and associated mastery, or is the glyph simply aesthetic?

#5 emmjay12

emmjay12

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

Let me rephrase since my original was already answered.

How are stats weighted in terms of reforging? What should I look to lower and raise for best DPS output?

#6 Beska

Beska

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

Let me rephrase since my original was already answered.

How are stats weighted in terms of reforging? What should I look to lower and raise for best DPS output?

For Fire:

Mastery -> Hit
Haste -> Hit

Basically the same as stat prioritisation, really.

#7 Wilderness81

Wilderness81

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

I'd say that Leatherworking and Jewelcrafting would be the best two professions. Alot of the new encounters in Cataclysm involves alot of moving and add handling, which may result in you not making full use of the procc profession enchants, like tailoring. Engineering on the other hand is controlable, but you might not see it usefull to use it as soon as it gets off cooldown, thus not making full use of it.

A consistant +211 Intellect (130 + 81) sounds like the optimal choice, since RNG can be a bitch sometimes. ;)

This is a misconception that I see fairly regularly regarding procs and movement - that movement is worse for procs because you may waste some or all of the proc during your movement phase. However, its actually the complete opposite of that. If a static enchant and a proc are roughly equal dps-wise on a patchwerk fight then movement makes the proc better. The reason behind this is that any proc is going to have a longer CD than the proc bonus, which means that it is more likely for the movement to take place while the proc is on CD and thus you will have more relative uptime of the proc during your casting periods. That makes the value of the proc rise. If you have to move for 5-10 seconds a minute and you have a proc that gives you +int for 15 seconds with a 60 second CD then its much more likely to fall in the CD phase than you are to waste the bonus. Obviously RNG can come into play on individual fights but in the long run the proc will outperform the static enchant on movement fights when they were equal on patchwerk.

#8 Nuevohuevo

Nuevohuevo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Have any other mages noticed that their mirror images are aggroing mobs that are not supposed to be involved in 5 man boss encounters? I ask because in my five man dungeon group we run two mages and on fights like Beauty in H-BRC Runty will not engage in the fight until one of the two mages throws up their mirror images. Same with the last boss in this instance, if we do not clear all the trash "near" the boss, as soon as images go up BAM, a pack of trash from 100 yards away comes into the fray. In raid encounters, we experienced the same in 10m Bastion, we would pull one set of the orb mage trash into the hall before their spawn points, cast images to absorb some of the nasty channeled spells and BOOM, the pack from across engaged as well. This is my first time posting here in a long time so if I've stepped on any toes I sincerely apologize because I really appreciate the knowledge this community has discovered.

#9 ripcurlksm

ripcurlksm

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Have any other mages noticed that their mirror images are aggroing mobs that are not supposed to be involved in 5 man boss encounters?

yes, several times, and i've learned the hard way.

#10 Zaldinar

Zaldinar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

For those experiencing issues with MI grabbing things that aren't expected, are you popping MI before combat starts, as it starts, after it starts? Are the MIs attacking these things, or are they just running straight at you? Are the things that are attacking you monsters that have been in combat with you or other things before?
To truly model the game, we first must research it.
http://zaldinar.wordpress.com/
Proven TheoryCrafting Stuff, chain casting in a PTR near you soon.

#11 Guest_Alinth_*

Guest_Alinth_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:12 AM

Racials for Raiding

I've been looking for some up to date info on how all the different Horde Racials are for raiding now with Orcs and Goblins now an option for mages?

What ive found so far was:
Horde:
Goblin > Troll > Orc > Belf > Others

Alliance:
Worgen > Gnome > Human > Others

Ive searched through the mage forums, but the only info ive found so far seems quite old and not sure if its still 100% up to date, or whether these original orders accounted for things like a Trolls 5% dmg to beasts, Orc pet dmg bonus, etc

#12 Toonie

Toonie

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

For those experiencing issues with MI grabbing things that aren't expected, are you popping MI before combat starts, as it starts, after it starts? Are the MIs attacking these things, or are they just running straight at you? Are the things that are attacking you monsters that have been in combat with you or other things before?

I've once had it happen in Stonecore Heroic on the 3rd boss. Whenever I used my images at any point during the fight, they simply turn around and go attack one of the trashpacks behind us to the left. And it's not even the closest pack, it's the 2nd one, while the one right behind me stays right where it should be. We had been in combat with them earlier during that run when a lost Sentry called them in and got us to wipe (but I didn't use my images at that point).
I've not used my images on that boss since that because I didn't want to risk it again, so can't tell for sure if it was related to the earlier wipe.

#13 Juravieal

Juravieal

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

I've once had it happen in Stonecore Heroic on the 3rd boss. Whenever I used my images at any point during the fight, they simply turn around and go attack one of the trashpacks behind us to the left. And it's not even the closest pack, it's the 2nd one, while the one right behind me stays right where it should be. We had been in combat with them earlier during that run when a lost Sentry called them in and got us to wipe (but I didn't use my images at that point).
I've not used my images on that boss since that because I didn't want to risk it again, so can't tell for sure if it was related to the earlier wipe.

We are having the same issue, and this boss was the first time we've had it actually cause wipes. Ever since we've pulled all the trash around all bosses to ensure it doesnt happen again. It doesnt matter at what point in the fight you pop images, they just randomly seem to shoot at whatever they want. I typically never pop them until after LB and critical mass are up on the mob, and have had them still pull the trash on multiple occasions.

#14 Uld

Uld

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

Hi,

My question is about spell power buff like trinket ones.
Let's say I have a +1000 spell power buff runing for 10 seconds. When is the buff valid for a spell ?
-When I start casting the spell ?
-When I finish casting the spell ?
-When the spell hits the target ?

Example :
1 ==> 10 seconds buff, I start casting a 2.3 seconds cast fireball at 8 seconds => Is this fireball buffed (cast started before the end of buff) or not (cast finished after the end of buff) ?

2 ==> 10 seconds buff, I start casting a 2.3 seconds cast fireball at 7 seconds and fireball travel time to target is 1 second. Is this fireball buffed (cast finished before the buff) or not (hits the target after the end of buff) ?

#15 LiquidHAL

LiquidHAL

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Haste values are calculated on cast start, damage values are calculated on cast completion.

#16 thunderstung

thunderstung

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

Has anyone done testing to see if the Goblin racial Rocket Barrage is affected by Fire Specialization? Since Rocket Barrage is on the GCD I suspect it's never worth casting in place of Scorch; is there math on this? Alternatively can someone give me guidance on how to setup a decent test?

#17 triumphet

triumphet

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

I have had this happen on both stonecore heroic, and heroic grim batol. In stonecore on the second to last boss when we pulled the boss and were in combat, both waiting 15 or more seconds and popping it as soon as combat started, mirror aggroed the mobs closest to us which were at least 100 yards off. We had never engaged these mobs at anytime. The first time it happened, recount showed my mirrors attacked these mobs, afterwards I watched and they never directly engaged the mobs but the mobs would come straight for me.

In grim batol we were on general, the first boss. We had engaged these mobs previously in an accidental aggro and wiped. They were all the way across the bridge, my mirrors would turn and run all the way back to the mobs to engage.

#18 Light4

Light4

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

In Grim Batol on first boss, my MI aggroed the mobs on the other side of that rift (next to the bridge, the pack you normally skip). We had aggroed them before once during trash pulls, though.
One thing I have noticed: Odd things only happen when you pop MI before doing any damage on the boss. If you launch a quick IL or FrB and pop MI afterwards, everything is perfectly fine.

#19 Guest_AlexN_*

Guest_AlexN_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

I had a 'simple question' regarding frost PvE.

I respecced to this yesterday and did some dummy training. 1 thing that's not clear to me is if I should interrupt the frostbolt I'm casting when FoF procs. I know that during FoF I should be casting a DF or BF-FFB or even Icelance, but I'm not sure if I should finish the frostbolt that's currently being cast. The reason I ask is because before I can see the FoF proccing, the frostbolt usually is already halfway on being cast. Interrupting this 'feels' like I'm losing out on some dps.

Thanks in advance.

#20 takolin

takolin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

Never ever stop casting unless you need to

*Interrupt a spell
*Move out of the fire
*Stop because the boss/mob will cast a lockout ability (think the flame jets on Ingis or the big guys during the Marrowgar trash).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users