• This topic is locked This topic is locked
178 replies to this topic

#161 Elge

Elge

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

Flameorb drops to the ground but still hits Al'Akir. I cannot confirm if Fire Power hits him or not.

#162 fateswarm

fateswarm

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

Which encounters, if any, favor mage and raid-wide use of defensive abilities, such as spell armors, magical damage reduction potions or defensive trinkets in exchange of DPS?

#163 Tyrian

Tyrian

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2376 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

Be mindful that whether you're talking about 10 or 25 is a factor to consider, but some obvious examples that come to mind:

- Some guilds consider mandatory for Heroic Nefarian on all raid members. Other guilds just require tanks to use it.
- Same as above can be said for Heroic Al'akir, varying between guild preferences
- Rogues entering the Twilight Realm often use on Heroic Twin Dragons.

There is some excellent information in the Cataclysm Combat Ratings thread, which will help you decide whether Mage Armor (via the extra resistance) and/or Prismatic Elixir 'is worth it' for other specific cases. The best answer will vary greatly between guilds and be related to an individual guild strengths, raid format in question, raid composition etc

http://elitistjerks....l_85_cataclysm/

#164 wizzadora

wizzadora

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

I'm a little confused about the following; I've tried searching through the resources to find an answer but to no avail,

Whilst on my charcter stats page Iin-game my hit rating reads 16.14%, even though i have reforged heavily for +hit. However, on the character stats page on the Armory and Rawr it reads 18.93%, I'd just like to know why Rawr and Armory display this rating higher than in game and which source provides my true hit rating, should i still aim for 17% in-game or rely on the Rawr/Armory values to judge my reforging?

Cheers

#165 Lariel

Lariel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

The 16.14% hit chance you mention is for melee attacks (1939 hit rating / 120.109 hit rating per percent). Make sure you check the right section on your character pane. :)

For spell hit, you only need 102.45 hit rating for 1%, so the cap for us mages is at 1741.58 hit rating, which equals 17% hit.

#166 Emeraldu

Emeraldu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

Hello

Simple question: I need a better macro for selecting Poison Bombs during the Omnitron Defense fight (heroic mode), can you guys help me ?

For the moment i'm using this fail macro:

/showtooltip
/target Poison Bomb
/cast Arcane Blast

Its fail bacause when i spam arcane blast, it (sometimes) targets the dead poison bombs also.

#167 Lariel

Lariel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

If you use the [nodead] conditional, at least it won't target any dead bombs anymore. I personally find targeting macros limiting though. You might want to kill a different Poison Bomb than it targets first for example.

But anyways, here you go:

/showtooltip
/target [nodead] Poison Bomb
/cast Arcane Blast

Should work the way you want it to.

EDIT: Yes, as Wilburre wrote below, it doesn't work properly, my bad, sorry about that.

#168 wilburre

wilburre

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

If you use the [nodead] conditional, at least it won't target any dead bombs anymore. I personally find targeting macros limiting though. You might want to kill a different Poison Bomb than it targets first for example.

I'm quite certain the "nodead" conditional isn't compatible with the /target command.

#169 Zhenek

Zhenek

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Is it normal that I cant spread dots off magmaw head to parasites which are under the head? (I have to doublespread dots off the head and off the construct that is usually tanked near the head)

#170 Shaitans

Shaitans

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

I have also noticed some funky dot spreading on magmaw. Sometimes, I will impact him and the dots won't spread to the add tanked nearby and yet there are times when I impact the adds and the dots will spread to magmaw, even though the placement of the add has not changed. I can only imagine that it has something to do with the larger hit box for magmaw compared to his adds (i.e. his box would overlap theirs and be in range for impact, but not necessarily vice versa),

#171 Ushtarador

Ushtarador

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

From my experience I would say that Magmaw's hitbox doesn't change when his head is exposed. At least it surely isn't the whole length of his body when he spikes himself. If the splash range of impact is calculated from the center of the hitbox, it would also explain the behavior Shaitan mentioned.

#172 Kolenzo

Kolenzo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

Using absolute corruption strat on cho'gall, do people find it's better dps to skip living bomb and/or flame orb in order to avoid ignite munching, despite their higher DPET? Obviously LB won't be an issue post-patch, but we hope to have it down before then.

#173 Ilyawen

Ilyawen

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

My simple question concerns Nefarian heroic: What is the general opinion on Combustion during that fight? Is it better to hold it off until one gets Dominion? Hold it off until one gets 150 Stacks of it even? Its obviously quite a gambit, and I've experienced a number of attempts where I see not a a single Dominion for all of Phase 1, meaning I essentially waste at least one application of Combustion. Then again, when the stars align, it seems as if it might be the single most powerful GCD in the entire fight. Do I shoot for that, or do I go with regular-use-Combustion?

#174 Zephyrin

Zephyrin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

Is there any effect of Mirror Images on damage shared between a group of targets (e.g. Nezir's ultimate ability, Chimareon's Caustic Slime, etc.) ? Do they also take damage and thereby reduce the damage taken by other players ?

#175 Ushtarador

Ushtarador

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

My simple question concerns Nefarian heroic: What is the general opinion on Combustion during that fight? Is it better to hold it off until one gets Dominion? Hold it off until one gets 150 Stacks of it even? Its obviously quite a gambit, and I've experienced a number of attempts where I see not a a single Dominion for all of Phase 1, meaning I essentially waste at least one application of Combustion. Then again, when the stars align, it seems as if it might be the single most powerful GCD in the entire fight. Do I shoot for that, or do I go with regular-use-Combustion?

In P1 I usually burn one right at the beginning, when I most likely get a high ignite due to simultaneous trinket-proccs and such. As you say, it happens too often that you don't get Dominion in the following 2 minutes.
For all following cooldowns, I wait for 150 stacks (and once during P2 of course). The 150 stacks usually result in a combustion about three times higher than my normal one, which should easily outweigh the damage lost to waiting.

#176 Toda Party

Toda Party

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:52 AM

Quick question regarding temporary intellect buffs, such as from Lightweave Embroidery and DMC:Volcano...

If you already have a LB or other DOT ticking prior to getting the buff, do the DOTs instantly benefit from the +int proc(s), or do you have to refresh the DOTs before they can benefit from the +int proc(s)?

Similarly, if the +int proc was about to expire in 1 second and I slap on a DOT, when the +int buff fades will the DOT tick for the +int when the DOT was applied, or what the real-time int/sp is?

Thanks

#177 Malcophant

Malcophant

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Quick question regarding temporary intellect buffs, such as from Lightweave Embroidery and DMC:Volcano...

If you already have a LB or other DOT ticking prior to getting the buff, do the DOTs instantly benefit from the +int proc(s), or do you have to refresh the DOTs before they can benefit from the +int proc(s)?

Similarly, if the +int proc was about to expire in 1 second and I slap on a DOT, when the +int buff fades will the DOT tick for the +int when the DOT was applied, or what the real-time int/sp is?

Thanks

DoTs spellpower value is only updated when recast, it will not update on the fly. The only exception that I know of is flame orb, which updates with all spellpower changes. Basically, you want to refresh dots right at the end of a damage/spellpower buff, since it will retain the increased damage/spellpower for the full duration.

#178 Rudlow

Rudlow

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

Hello, so I need to kite adds on Nefarian encounter (still normal) and Ive made myself a frost spec for that. It is like normal pve frost, except I used 2/2 on Improved Cone of Cold. So first night I kinda had some problems grouping adds up and sometimes healers pulled aggro from me. So that was kinda messy as I want to group them up first and then use my cooldowns like frost nova or freeze. So could someone more expierenced on adds kitting give me some useful tips? I saw some videos on youtube, but its random every time (the spawns), so could you tell me what to do? What rotation of freezing spells to use? Or what direction to kite? Also does an add kiter need some more heals? Or a bit more focus from a raid healer? Or it shouldnt take any extra damage (from adds)? Thank you in advance, Rudlow.

#179 Thusly

Thusly

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:06 AM

Hello, so I need to kite adds on Nefarian encounter (still normal) and Ive made myself a frost spec for that. It is like normal pve frost, except I used 2/2 on Improved Cone of Cold. So first night I kinda had some problems grouping adds up and sometimes healers pulled aggro from me. So that was kinda messy as I want to group them up first and then use my cooldowns like frost nova or freeze. So could someone more expierenced on adds kitting give me some useful tips? I saw some videos on youtube, but its random every time (the spawns), so could you tell me what to do? What rotation of freezing spells to use? Or what direction to kite? Also does an add kiter need some more heals? Or a bit more focus from a raid healer? Or it shouldnt take any extra damage (from adds)? Thank you in advance, Rudlow.

I absolutely need more attention from the raid healer when I'm doing skeleton kiting. The spawns aren't totally random, they always follow a counter-clockwise pattern around the room after the first location is chosen. Here's how I do it (10 normal):

Put your pet on passive to make sure it stays in range and make good use of ice barrier throughout. First, throw a frostfire orb at Onyxia. This will generate FoF procs as you gather the skels, giving some extra threat just in case. Hit the first skeleton with a frostbolt-ice lance and move to your left to get ready for the next. Repeat, repeat, repeat. A bit after the fifth skeleton, Onyxia's first lightning discharge will occur. I've found that you're much better off taking a couple of hits from the adds than being hit by the discharge, so freeze the adds closest to you with a cone and move inwards a bit. At this point you should agro (or have already agro'd) the final skeleton and everything should be heading towards you. Don't be afraid to take a few melee hits in order to tighten the group up, but don't die (obviously). From here, WE freeze, cone when that drops, frost nova, cone, WE freeze (probably down to the last two), possibly a final cone after this to keep the last skeleton where the rest died. If your raid has similar dps to mine, nefarian will hit 90% and his first electrocute shortly after this.

Talent-wise I have full permafrost and improved cone. When I was first learning the fight, I also used shattered barrier, but it rarely went off when I wanted and is even potentially harmful when you reach phase 3. You may also find improved blink and the blink glyph helpful while learning, but I don't think they're essential.

In my opinion, the most crucial moment (and where I died the most learning the fight) is Onyxia's first lightning discharge. It comes right when frostbolt has worn off the first couple of skeletons and they're bearing down from all sides. Your instinct might tell you to keep running away from them towards the outside; Don't do this. The discharge is too much damage for your healers. Snare whatever you can (I recommend a cone, so that your longer cooldowns are still ready) and move inwards.

Does this seem reasonable or is there a cleaner way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users