• This topic is locked This topic is locked
348 replies to this topic

#341 zinnin

zinnin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

A little trick which is pretty easy to use and I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere : for those of you using MWC as only a mastery pull trinket, you can use its serverlag component to equip a static mastery trinket and meta before the buff disappears so you should be able to gain 458 mastery with Fire of the Deep (for instance).

You can do this with a full set of gear, not just another trinket.

Edit: Or do you mean in the same slot?

#342 Meegosh

Meegosh

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

In the same slot of course, the point being to get 2158 mastery out of that trinket slot instead of only 1700.

#343 Bâphomet

Bâphomet

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

In the same slot of course, the point being to get 2158 mastery out of that trinket slot instead of only 1700.

I don't mean to sound dense, but could you go into a little more detail here? If I activate the MWC but then equip another trinket in its slot, I lose the buff from MWC.

#344 zinnin

zinnin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

I don't mean to sound dense, but could you go into a little more detail here? If I activate the MWC but then equip another trinket in its slot, I lose the buff from MWC.

Lets say you have one equipset with moonwell chalice, and another with a passive mastery trinket in the same slot. You can macro:

/equipset passivetrinket
/cast metamorphosis

and 90% of the time it will add MWC (1700 mastery) and the passive mastery bonus of another trinket say, fire of the deep (458 mastery) for a bonus of 2158 mastery instead of 1700 for the one trinket slot.

The point of it is that you don't lose the on use benefit for about ~1s after switching trinkets, so you gain the benefit of two trinkets.

In my testing of that macro it never got rid of the 1700 from MWC, and only sometime didn't add the 458 mastery, so nothing to lose.

#345 Meegosh

Meegosh

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

/equipset passivetrinket
/cast metamorphosis

Just be careful, you probably want to equip your combat set right after metamorphosis and that would not be possible if you equipset just before , the macro would look like (if you have MWC in slot 13) :

/equip passivetrinket
/cast Metamorphosis
/equipset combatset
etc

#346 Josh Yaxley

Josh Yaxley

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

In a bit more detail:

2. Gear swapping*

This is a very useful Demonology only trick that can really buff your first Metamorphosis. Because this is also your most important Metamorphosis (where all your procs line up and when you'll most likely have hero), this trick actually works out as about a 1.5k or more dps increase.

2.1 How Metamorphosis works

First off, it is useful to understand how Metamorphosis and your mastery work. Metamorphosis is essentially a buff that increases your damage by x % for 36 seconds (glyphed). This "x" is determined by your mastery (more mastery, more Metamorphosis damage). However, the Metamorphosis buff doesn't scale dynamically with your mastery, meaning that whatever x % damage increase you have from mastery when you first hit Metamorphosis, you will keep for 36 seconds regardless of if your mastery changes in this time. This, as you can see, leaves room for exploitation.

2.2 Making a mastery set

The idea is to make a full set of gear with as much mastery as possible. No other stat matters here, so you can use strength/agility/spirit items and mastery gems/enchants. You can probably squeeze between 3000-4000 mastery with a set like this. This is the set you need to be wearing before the encounter.

2.3 The macro

Then you make sure your tanks are doing a countdown pull, and just before they pull (similar to pre-potting) you activate Metamorphosis (with a ridiculous amount of mastery) and switch to your proper Demonology gear set. Easy.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to stick it all into one macro, so you don't have to press several buttons. This is what it should look something like:

/cast metamorphosis
/equipset Demonology
/use Volcanic Potion
/cast Demon Soul

2.4 Finer details

One small thing I would like to mention here is your choice of trinkets in your mastery gear set. It is very beneficial to have a Moonwell Chalice (from the Firelands daily quest hub), as this will give you an extra 1700 mastery for your first Metamorphosis. If you are using this, make sure that you activate it before you use your macro, as there is a slight delay in the buff and if you have it as part of your macro, you won't benefit from the 1700 mastery.

Another important thing to consider about trinkets when gear swapping is the internal cooldown of each trinket. In short, if you want to use a trinket in your main set that has an internal cooldown (for me, this is Insignia of the Corrupted Mind), then it needs to be in the same trinket slot in both your mastery gear set and your demonology gear set. Otherwise there will be a long delay before you can make use of its proc.

If one of your mastery gear set trinkets is Moonwell Chalice (which it should be), then the trinket you want in the corresponding trinket slot in your demonology gear set is either Will of Unbinding (because it has no internal cooldown, so there is no delay before you can make use of it) or Cunning of the Cruel (for similar reasons).

You can essentially start any fight with this trick, making it a valuable one to use.

From my guide: Warlock Tips and Tricks and Specific Encounter Guides [4.3]

#347 Meegosh

Meegosh

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

In a bit more detail:

From my guide: Warlock Tips and Tricks and Specific Encounter Guides [4.3]

Be careful, I'm not at all trying to explain the mastery gear swap which has been around for quite some time now, just a little trick with MWC that zinnin explained further.

#348 Josh Yaxley

Josh Yaxley

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Ah I see, this is interesting.

So you could have a mastery set of gear with MWC, pop MWC, switch MWC to fire of the deep quickly, pop Metamorphosis and switch to your normal demo gear?

Does the chance that you "lose" the MWC buff increase if you have a better connection? (noticed you mentioned it relies on the server lag)

#349 zinnin

zinnin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Ah I see, this is interesting.

So you could have a mastery set of gear with MWC, pop MWC, switch MWC to fire of the deep quickly, pop Metamorphosis and switch to your normal demo gear?

Does the chance that you "lose" the MWC buff increase if you have a better connection? (noticed you mentioned it relies on the server lag)

I have done quite a few tests so far and I never didn't get the mastery from MWC, only a few times I didn't get the mastery from the passive trinket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users