400 replies to this topic

#21 Phrequency-

Phrequency-

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:06 AM

Onyxia & Nefarian:

You can feint to reduce the damage of Onyxia's tail swipe.

#22 Yurifel

Yurifel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

Al'Akir:

- Acid Rain damage not reduced by Feint

Cho'gall:

- Unleashed Shadows is reduced by Feint. Doesn't seem possible to feint more than 2 hits per Shadow's Orders phase.

#23 Kryptyx

Kryptyx

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

On Magmaw you can Vanish the larva if one latches on you, which causes it to despawn, thus stopping damage to you. However it will still spawn an add when the debuff expires. So its a good idea to do it off to the side.

#24 Cixel

Cixel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:04 AM

Tron council:
Smoke bomb doesn't appear to prevent being fixated by the adds during poison protocol on Toxitron.

#25 Rakush

Rakush

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Both myself and the resto druid assigned to heal me didn't seem to take fall damage(she would pop into cat).

CoW 25:

Posted Image

Less falling damage than I expected to see, but falling damage nonetheless.

#26 Ends

Ends

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

You can solo mitigate meteor by running out of raid and cloaking at the end of the debuff (right before the meteor lands).

Ascendant Council:

You can ignore the grounded debuff with a cloak timed at the end of Thundershock, and Quake can be feinted.

as a side note the adds do not "disappear" the other 2 are on a platform above where Ignacious and Felduious are this is likely why redirect works.

#27 Guest_Akotirous_*

Guest_Akotirous_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

* Magmaw
Time to first slamdown is 2 minutes, so if you use vendetta right at the pull, perhaps even when running in, you will have it up for the entire double damage phase, at least the first time.

I'm not sure if this is beneficial, since I wonder if the dmg boost provided by the boss mechanic and vedetta stacks additively or mutiplicatively.
In other words if it stacks additively we will have 220% dmg bonus, and if it stacks multiplicatively we gain a 240% bonus.
If it stacks additively it would not prove beneficial to use it when the head is exposed for two reasons; the first being the fact that the head is not exposed for the entire vendetta duration, and secondly you have to "waste" vendetta time on stacking poisons, getting rupture going and so on in the beginning and in the "exposed head"-phase.
If it stacks multiplicatively it should prove beneficial to use it the way tumblebeer described.

#28 Zulkeir

Zulkeir

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

I'm not sure if this is beneficial, since I wonder if the dmg boost provided by the boss mechanic and vedetta stacks additively or mutiplicatively.
In other words if it stacks additively we will have 220% dmg bonus, and if it stacks multiplicatively we gain a 240% bonus.
If it stacks additively it would not prove beneficial to use it when the head is exposed for two reasons; the first being the fact that the head is not exposed for the entire vendetta duration, and secondly you have to "waste" vendetta time on stacking poisons, getting rupture going and so on in the beginning and in the "exposed head"-phase.
If it stacks multiplicatively it should prove beneficial to use it the way tumblebeer described.

If they stack additively there is no difference than if you were using vendetta on CD. While it may be more beneficial for procs to be up, the beginning of the fight is actually a good time to Vendetta, as many procs will be up. I also find it difficult to believe that they would stack additively as the damage bonus to magmaw is not a bonus to your damage, but rather a bonus to damage taken by the boss. As in, its not two buffs being placed on you. Further testing would be required to verify, but I feel pretty confident that because Vendetta increases your damage, and the Point of vulnerability is a debuff to the boss, they would not stack additively.

#29 Syncness

Syncness

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

Feint works on Halfus to reduce damage on flame breath.

[e] clarity

#30 Naganuina

Naganuina

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:51 AM

Al'Akir wasn't disarm-able tonight

#31 Belegûr

Belegûr

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

This has been announced in the 27/12 Hotfixes:

Dungeons & Raids
Throne of the Four Winds

* It is no longer possible to disarm Al'Akir.

Source.

#32 Istarian

Istarian

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

Be wary using Killing Spree on the Exposed head phase. Make sure you time it so it goes off well before he transitions back to the first phase. If you use Killing Spree on the Exposed head as it transitions so that ticks still remain, it WILL teleport you into the lava and unfortunately end your life with no chance of return! Quite embarrassing if you're one of the two worm riders.

#33 n0point

n0point

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Don't think that has been mentioned yet but Lightning Rod(Lightning Rod - Spell - World of Warcraft) can be cloaked on Al'akir phase 3.

#34 Raconzor

Raconzor

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

I'm wondering about what mechanic(s) of Al'Akir are making assassination rogues the clear leaders on this fight (and this fight only, of the current raiding tier). Thoughts? Why would we be favored over unholy DKs and survival hunters?

#35 Feist-Mok

Feist-Mok

Doesn't look like a Presbyterian.

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

I'm wondering about what mechanic(s) of Al'Akir are making assassination rogues the clear leaders on this fight (and this fight only, of the current raiding tier). Thoughts? Why would we be favored over unholy DKs and survival hunters?

We're much more likely to get a substantial chunk of execute time during a period in which the boss has a +50, 60, or even 70 or 80 percent damage taken debuff, because we have a execute that starts at 35% HP.

At this point, for most raids, he's not hitting 20% until such buffs have fallen off.

You're still up for First Degree Slaughter of English Spelling, so sit the fuck down, defendant.

#36 Zulkeir

Zulkeir

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

Looking at WoL rankings, while there are a fair number (haha, half) of Assassination rogues at the top, they are by no means dominating over Survival Hunters or Unholy DK's; however from a mechanic standpoint, I would venture a guess that cloaking the wind burst and not getting knocked back would have a high value on DPS, and the ability to mitigate a large amount of damage through feint and cloaking Acid Rain stacks means that Rogues need to spend less of their time healing themselves (as healing appears to be intensive on this fight) and can spend more time appropriately DPSing. It also seems to be a boss fight with mechanics that favor a high amount of time on target for damage, so long as you pay attention.

EDIT: Feist responded as I was making my post, and I have to agree; Having an execute phase that matches with the damage bonus from killing the static would severely boost Assassination DPS. This would be even more favorable if your guild allowed those classes with execute phases to remain on the boss, which is not far fetched, especially as some guilds in ICC were intentionally making fights harder to boost players into rankings (kiting slimes through raid on Rotface for cleave damage) just for guild recognition. Considering rogue ramp-up time on new targets, it would probably be favorable to allow the rogue to stay on the boss during this phase, not that I have any bias in this matter.

#37 Crevan

Crevan

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

Did anyone have trouble with Killing Spree not putting you directly behind Al'Akir when it's over? On several attempts today I've used the skill while standing at his back, and ended up about 30-40 degrees clockwise from the original position. I didn't notice the boss turning while KS was up, though I don't dismiss this possibility. I did, however, notice a similar issue on some trash in BoT. It's quite annoying, since I could end up frying people with chain lightning.

#38 Istarian

Istarian

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

Be wary of using Killing Spree during the exposed head phase. If you use it too late, it will teleport you with him, and drop you into the lava (Is it safe to use at any other time?).

I made the post warning of this and yes, it IS safe to use at other times, it will put you right next to the spike. The ability is safe to use so long as he is not about to transition (and if there are no adds near your Killing Spree path).

Also I was noticing the same ~30º offset Crevan did on Al'Akir.

#39 Crevan

Crevan

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:09 AM

I made the post warning of this and yes, it IS safe to use at other times, it will put you right next to the spike. The ability is safe to use so long as he is not about to transition (and if there are no adds near your Killing Spree path).

Also I was noticing the same ~30º offset Crevan did on Al'Akir.

Now that you mentioned Magmaw, I realised that what I've seen on Al'Akir is similar to the mechanic that prevents you from dropping into the lava - after KS is over, I end up somewhere between our melee dps group and the tank. Perhaps, this mechanic was only intended for Magmaw, but is unintentionally working on other bosses as well?

#40 Ireath

Ireath

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

Doing Al'Akir just now, and the Wind Bursts seem to be changed. Cloak can not be used to avoid the knock back.

After a few tries it actually worked cloaking it. Seems a bit inconsistent for me. Will try to get a few more goes at it to pin it down.

Edit: I was a bit quick about this. Last 5 tries or so I've had no problems at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users