• Please log in to reply
1110 replies to this topic

#41 Blancomeow

Blancomeow

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

I'm relatively new here and enjoy the cache of knowledge that seems to be on this board. I read your guide cover to cover and it was very informative.

Might I make one suggestion for your ToT macros. By adding the last line I have listed below your current target will change back to your previous target once ToT has been cast. I find this helpful when fighting during a multi-mob encounter as it saves me time clicking. Again just a suggestion and thanks for your hard work on the guide.

/target <insert name of target to be ToT>
/cast Tricks of the Trade
/targetlasttarget

#42 Killme888

Killme888

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

I think you're all underestimating how good imp recup is with the state of healing and mana of healers. For example on Nefarion, you can self sustain yourself through all the damage in both p1 & p3. It is so valuable to healers when they don't have to watch over you before every lightning machine.

#43 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

@Blancomeow
Why would you manually click your target for TotT? Just use the [@playername] macro mentioned in the guide and you won't have to.

Or use the 'supermacro' (which is mentioned in the Assassination guide but not here?):
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][@target,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead][@targettarget,help,nodead]Tricks of the Trade

You could replace targettarget with playername or even insert it before there for added functionality.

@Killme888
We haven't done the fight on 25 man yet, but I assume Feint works there as well. On 10 man, you'll take only 50k from Lightning Machine when Feint is up, and as your health pool isn't really bigger in 25, the ability shouldn't hit any harder, so I don't really see the benefit of Imp Recup here. Taking off 10% of Nefarian should take long enough for the healers to top you up again before the next Lightning Machine hits.

Stopped Playing

#44 Istarian

Istarian

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

I'm relatively new here and enjoy the cache of knowledge that seems to be on this board. I read your guide cover to cover and it was very informative.

Might I make one suggestion for your ToT macros. By adding the last line I have listed below your current target will change back to your previous target once ToT has been cast. I find this helpful when fighting during a multi-mob encounter as it saves me time clicking. Again just a suggestion and thanks for your hard work on the guide.

/target <insert name of target to be ToT>
/cast Tricks of the Trade
/targetlasttarget

A more elegant way of making this macro is to do

/cast [@<name>] Tricks of the Trade

This will cast tricks without changing your target at all.
For example, my G button is my multipurpose button that has five different tricks targets.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:ctrl,nomod:alt] Noggenfogger Elixir; [mod:ctrl,mod:alt,@Ebbon] [mod:shift,@Seeani] [mod:alt,@Radagust] [nomod,@Ashkev,exists,nodead] [nomod,@Arcen,exists,nodead] [] Tricks of the Trade

Each of the three modifiers sends the spell to Ebbon, Seeani, or Radagust, our three tanks. If the button is pressed without modifiers in a raid where either Ashkev or Arcen exist (two melee dps), it will first send the spell to Ashkev if he is alive, then to Arcen if he is not. If the button is pressed outside of a raid (a heroic, for example) where neither Ashkev nor Arcen exist, it will cast the spell normally, to allow clicking or pressing, in my case, G then F (to assist to the tank), or an F2-5 key for a specific player in the group. Needless to say the first line for Noggenfogger is just my choice, but you may use the ctrl modifier for whatever else you may please (another tricks target if you like).

#45 priapus

priapus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

Do you think Quickening over Ruthlessness is a viable option? It would be nice to move fast in both specs (at least out of stealth.) How much of an increase is 2/3 Ruthlessness? I imagine it'd be better than dropping 3/3 Relentless Strikes to 1/3. It would also be nice not to have to use the boot chant, and Quickening is double the speed increase of the chant anyway, right? Obviously, this is a waste on a tank and spank but the fights that matter rarely are.

Also, is there a good addon for Bandit's Guile?

#46 fadedtimes

fadedtimes

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

You can use power auras or any other buff tracker for bandit's guile.

Shallow Insight for the first proc
Moderate Insight for the second
and Deep Insight for the final
~
My concern is they know.

#47 Aldriana

Aldriana

Mike Tyson

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Do you think Quickening over Ruthlessness is a viable option? It would be nice to move fast in both specs (at least out of stealth.) How much of an increase is 2/3 Ruthlessness? I imagine it'd be better than dropping 3/3 Relentless Strikes to 1/3. It would also be nice not to have to use the boot chant, and Quickening is double the speed increase of the chant anyway, right? Obviously, this is a waste on a tank and spank but the fights that matter rarely are.

Ruthlessness is definitely the better choice to drop than Relentless Strikes, but even it is a couple hundred DPS. In general run speed is valuable relative to a boot enchant but fairly week relative to actual DPS talents. So if you really need it for survivability (defiles on LK, perhaps) or you're doing a lot of *very* movement heavy fights, it can make sense... but usually it doesn't.

#48 PikaPika1006

PikaPika1006

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:41 AM

You can use power auras or any other buff tracker for bandit's guile.

Shallow Insight for the first proc
Moderate Insight for the second
and Deep Insight for the final

It's not necessarily what phase I'm in that I'd want to track, but how many SS/RSs I was into the next phase. Not sure if there's any way to do that with Power Auras.

#49 fierydemise

fierydemise

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:55 AM

It's not necessarily what phase I'm in that I'd want to track, but how many SS/RSs I was into the next phase. Not sure if there's any way to do that with Power Auras.

I'm no expert when it comes to addon programming but it seems to me that you could track number of attacks to next level by counting buff refreshes. 4-# of refreshes at current level buff, it'd probably require some kind of special addon but that seems to be the easiest way to track it.

#50 Borok Boldhew

Borok Boldhew

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

Legs | 190 AP / 55 Crit | (From Leatherworking)

Why would I pay 20 Blackened Dragonscales for this when I can pay just 2 for the Dragonbone Leg Reinforcements that has the exact same stats?

Dragonbone Leg Reinforcements - Spell - World of Warcraft

#51 Blancomeow

Blancomeow

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

@Blancomeow
Why would you manually click your target for TotT? Just use the [@playername] macro mentioned in the guide and you won't have to.

Or use the 'supermacro' (which is mentioned in the Assassination guide but not here?):
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][@target,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead][@targettarget,help,nodead]Tricks of the Trade

You could replace targettarget with playername or even insert it before there for added functionality.

@Killme888
We haven't done the fight on 25 man yet, but I assume Feint works there as well. On 10 man, you'll take only 50k from Lightning Machine when Feint is up, and as your health pool isn't really bigger in 25, the ability shouldn't hit any harder, so I don't really see the benefit of Imp Recup here. Taking off 10% of Nefarian should take long enough for the healers to top you up again before the next Lightning Machine hits.

forgive my ignorance of the way /cast [@<player's name>] Tricks of the Trade works my assumption was it targeted the mob much like /target player's name. I will take my 50 lashings and use this from now on.

#52 Aldriana

Aldriana

Mike Tyson

• Moderators
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Why would I pay 20 Blackened Dragonscales for this when I can pay just 2 for the Dragonbone Leg Reinforcements that has the exact same stats?

Dragonbone Leg Reinforcements - Spell - World of Warcraft

If you're a leatherworker, you shouldn't. But many people aren't leatherworkers and thus don't have that option.

#53 Borok Boldhew

Borok Boldhew

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

If you're a leatherworker, you shouldn't. But many people aren't leatherworkers and thus don't have that option.

Oh, I did not realize the Dragonbone was LW only. Thank you.

Professions

Leatherworking
Currently the strongest profession for a Combat rogue, leatherworking replaces the 65 haste to bracers enchant with Draconic Embossment - Agility. The strength of this enchant is mostly because base stats (Agility) are much stronger then secondary stats (haste, crit, hit, mastery, etc).

Then maybe an edit could be made to include something like "and LWs benefit from a reduced cost in mats for Dragonbone over Dragonscale which both have the same stats."

#54 Wowslayer

Wowslayer

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

Generally speaking, a monetary gain/savings of a profession (or enchants/gems for that matter) are not included with these guides because they are completely variable on the person, and have no direct effect on your ability to play/perform well with the class. The only exception to this rule is if something is extremely hard/expensive to get right off the bat, and I believe the only example of that this expansion is Landslide so far. If the author is feeling up to adding that in, then by all means he can, but this is just an explanation as to why it wasn't included in the first place.

#55 Fogkin

Fogkin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

Until the meta gems are fixed, what would the optimal meta be for us to use right now? I currently just tossed in the mastery/run speed meta for the time being

#56 Theownt

Theownt

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

Currently the best Meta is , which with a 480 Haste buff for 6 seconds on a presumed 45 second ICD, effectively equates to 64 Haste. This Meta gem is far and away the best choice for Combat, and beats any 54 Mastery Meta by about 3 EP for Mutilate.

#57 Syzwick

Syzwick

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

Currently the best Meta is , which with a 480 Haste buff for 6 seconds on a presumed 45 second ICD, effectively equates to 64 Haste. This Meta gem is far and away the best choice for Combat, and beats any 54 Mastery Meta by about 3 EP for Mutilate.

Thing is I have never in any fight got 10% uptime on this buff. It's uptime is in range from 6 to 9.5%. I don't know the proc mechanics, but 10% just isn't enough to beat 54 passive mastery.

This is just an observation regarding it being BiS for assassination.

EDIT: Could be my bad luck though...:)

#58 Dimirus

Dimirus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

So i've just got enough gear for heroics and i've been trying to get my stats lookin good for raiding soon, but i was curious as to how much haste i should be shooting for as a combat rogue? im a bit over the special hit cap, 2 points over the expertise cap, so i figured i'd want some haste right about now but i'm sitting at 1082 haste. Tried to ctrl+F but didn't see anything. I could be blind =x

#59 coolcreep

coolcreep

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

So i've just got enough gear for heroics and i've been trying to get my stats lookin good for raiding soon, but i was curious as to how much haste i should be shooting for as a combat rogue? im a bit over the special hit cap, 2 points over the expertise cap, so i figured i'd want some haste right about now but i'm sitting at 1082 haste. Tried to ctrl+F but didn't see anything. I could be blind =x

Haste is not like hit or expertise in that there is no set number at which it becomes less useful. If you're exp capped, then haste is the best stat for you to be reforging into, though agility is still far and away your best stat. The more haste the better, essentially.

I should note that it is hypothetically possible to get so much haste that you cannot spend your energy fast enough, at which point haste would be almost useless, but that point is impossible to reach at the moment, and most likely will be for a long, long time.

#60 Bane|Elune

Bane|Elune

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Speaking of Haste, is there anything out there that shows in number of say Sinister Strike's gained per minute/hour depending on your level of Haste? The different in 200 Haste is visually hard to see in terms of Energy regen, but it would be handy to see how it truly affects you as your Haste increases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users