• This topic is locked This topic is locked
255 replies to this topic

#21 Ujai

Ujai

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

HC mode tip: at last boss in Throne of Tides HC, chain-casting Arcane Blast stacks in a weird way with the buff in the thrid phase, resulting in 1,5 million damage crits and redicolous dps.

#22 Terribad

Terribad

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

On the Ascendant council fight, frost mages should park their water elemental right on top of the fire boss and the rest of melee. From that position, the water elemental will always get any damage buff that gets cast on a melee (whether it be fire or ice debuff). From their you will want to setup your UI to show which buff your pet has and have him attacking the correct boss with the buff.
When I started doing this I gained about 5,000 dps during that phase and a half a million damage from my water elemental alone.
This also works with Warlocks Imps and presumably and melee pet you could just have sit on the melee boss unless he get the ice damage debuff.

Also on the ascendant council, do not use Mirror images at the pull. Take it easy on dps and regulate your threat for the first 10 seconds of the fight. I have found that mirror images is absolutely NEEDED for phase 3 when the monstrosity comes out, and it is great to have for when phase 2 starts as all your cooldowns should be up and you can start burning without threat issues.

#23 Bowchikabow

Bowchikabow

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

Post removed due to hotfix applied January 4th. Refer to post #27 on page 2 for more information.
"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

#24 Kaster

Kaster

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

Also on Halfus when he starts doing the stuns we had paladins and mages taking turns ice blocking/similar, cancelling it right after he casts third stun and then interrupt the shadow nova, this greatly increases raid dps and reduces healing needed.

Actually it's even more simple than that if you have mages. In our 25m the two mages ( 2 to have one as backup) blink out of the stun and counterspell and the mages can get every interrupt that needs to happen. And if need be one can solo it just fine if you do well and your hit capped.

#25 Silverwind

Silverwind

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

For Fire Mages: If you want to provide 100% 3-Stack uptime of Dark Intend for the Warlock, use FFB as your main nuke on single-target fights. Fireball spec seems to only provide ~50% buff uptime from my recent logs.

Also note, that it might only be worth switching nukes when you're being buffed by an Affliction Warlock.

#26 Ushtarador

Ushtarador

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

Ascendant Council Phase 3: When the boss grabs you into his bubble, the healers can let you die. This will proc cauterize, the bubble will end and you can iceblock. Just make sure you dont survive the bubble with low health, as cauterize won't protect you from fall damage.

#27 Strasner

Strasner

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

I'm not sure if this counts as "common sense", however. During the Atramedes encounter, if you find your sound bar too high, you can cast iceblock and it will not only reset your sound....it will also remove the sound bar from your ui (during which you don't gain "invisible" sound) for the duration of iceblock.

This no longer works according to the latest round of hotfixes.

It is no longer possible to use immunities to reset a player's sound bar while fighting Atramedes.

#28 Phosphori

Phosphori

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

I'm a nub posting here, but here are a couple things I've found to be useful:

In general, I play fire kind of like arcane. Burn till I can make use of my evo and mana gem cds, then weave in scorches to make sure I have enough mana to burn after 40% (or timed to be low to evocate again, depending on the fight length).

On maloriak, I found that a well timed combustion basically allows me to solo off all the adds and burst for over 80k dps. Hard cast a pyro when hes about to jump back @ the green phase, load a living bomb, force an impact proc by throwing a blast wave on the whelps, combustion and fireblast maloriak, then flame strike spam, doing another impact dot spread if pyroblast! procs to refresh it. Comes in handy if you get whelps on halfus too.

On valiona and theralion, you keep living bomb on the flying drake for more damage. if you wanna get even fancier, you can keep pyroblast ticking on both as well, tho this will drain your mana faster if you're forced to hard cast pyro frequently to do so on 2 targets.

On omnitron, spell steal arcanitron's buff after he bubbles. Set focus and spell steal tar=focus macros come in handy here.
After their special-bubble-effect expires, I think it's safe to DoT them back up again too (don't quote me on it, gonna check tonight)

Also, on omnitron, try to get a green cloud between you and any oozes that are focusing you in order to benefit from the 50% inc dmg taken debuff.

In throne, a well timed blink can save you from getting shoved off the platform. If you do get knocked off, It will also stop your momentum if you're being thrown in the wrong direction by the winds, resetting it based on your current location and throwing you towards the nearest platform
(this is best used if you get knocked off towards the middle platform al'akir sits upon. If you get lifted up and placed on the middle platform, you will then be thrown out of the zone if you don't blink half way.)

#29 Narcosleepy

Narcosleepy

It's not you. Really. I hate everyone.

• ♦ Administrators
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:03 AM

Hey guys guess what? Icebock and blink can save you from things that might kill you. Don't tell too many folks we don't want the secret to get out. Seriously stop posting silly stuff like this.
If this signature offends you please complain to the management.

#30 brolynn

brolynn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

Not so much a tip as a warning but this caught me by surprise: clicking a lightwell interrupts channeled casts. While this seems stupid since you are allowed to click during stuns or normal casts for the time being don't think to yourself 'uh oh, almost dead! Evocate to heal... Oh! a lightwell!'

#31 Seronemo

Seronemo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:45 AM

Hello mage fellows :D

Some tricks I found out while raiding the last weeks:

I dont know if this is unknown so far, but on Omnitron defense system, when Toxitron's shield is up, u can spam scorch to deal 10k extra damage every cast without even taking damage.

On the Conclave of Wind, if you're at the wind mob (I don't know his name anymore), u can cast scorch while you're whirling around in his cyclone, if you turn your camera fast enough.. This needs a bit of training, but after a few tries it works pretty well.

Another tricky thing I found on the Manaflask forums:
If u still got ur T10 Set, u can equip it and right before you enter combat, pop your Mirror Images, switch back to your normal gear and go drink 2-3 secs to regen Mana up. You'll then have around 25 secs of 18% extra damage. This is very effective if you combine it with the double-pot trick. (Especially on Wyrmbreaker, where Bloodlust is used in the beginning of the fight this can be a kickass of dps increase).

hf at trying out

#32 detached

detached

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

On the Ascendant council fight, frost mages should park their water elemental right on top of the fire boss and the rest of melee. From that position, the water elemental will always get any damage buff that gets cast on a melee (whether it be fire or ice debuff). From their you will want to setup your UI to show which buff your pet has and have him attacking the correct boss with the buff.
When I started doing this I gained about 5,000 dps during that phase and a half a million damage from my water elemental alone.
This also works with Warlocks Imps and presumably and melee pet you could just have sit on the melee boss unless he get the ice damage debuff.

Also on the ascendant council, do not use Mirror images at the pull. Take it easy on dps and regulate your threat for the first 10 seconds of the fight. I have found that mirror images is absolutely NEEDED for phase 3 when the monstrosity comes out, and it is great to have for when phase 2 starts as all your cooldowns should be up and you can start burning without threat issues.

The mirror images also benefit from the "Burning Soul and Heart of Ice" buffs. If you can manage to get it on them, it will obviously be a massive dps boost.

At the conclave of wind you can avoid a bit of running after a platform transition with a slowfall /cancelaura slowfall macro. But don't mess that up. Failing to remove the slowfall buff in time, will result in you overshooting the platform by a lot and can result in your death. Of course you also can buff someone else slowfall and kill them on purpose if you're into that.

*unconfirmed* The mirror images might be a possible target for the sleet storm and could be used to reduce its damage.

#33 Leifo

Leifo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

On the Conclave of Wind, if you're at the wind mob (I don't know his name anymore), u can cast scorch while you're whirling around in his cyclone, if you turn your camera fast enough.. This needs a bit of training, but after a few tries it works pretty well.

Hmmmm... actually, I found that during Rohash's "Hurricane" ultimate ability, all spells with any casting time are interrupted midcast rather than pushed back, regardless of my orientation while spinning.

As a fire mage, I could only really use Living Bomb and Combustion... I had no luck with Fireblast (but perhaps if it were talented to increase its range...) I had good success with getting DoTs set up for a Combustion immediately beforehand and popping it during the Hurricane, so I recommend that. Put your Slow Fall on once you've done everything you can, and you can resume Scorch spam et al as you descend.

#34 Tyrian

Tyrian

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

I'm sure some of us have seen logs like this by now: Impact Combustion Peaks at 800 000 DPS

Not looking at his average DPS, but the Impact Combustion DPS: peaking at 800 000 at the start. I'm interested to know, with the gimmick conditions this fight entails, tips/tricks people are using to leverage these absolutely monster Impact Combustions. But first, we should be mindful of the raid format and strategy used:

Most 25 man guilds seem to be releasing 4 Drakes initially (3 drakes + whelps). A subset of 25 guilds are releasing all 5 right away. Guilds releasing all 5 simultaneously are better positioned for that monster Combustion - that's a guild strat issue which might be beyond your control. However, with that in mind, we can still talk about ways to leverage Impact Combustion for the way your particular guild does the fight. I think we can safely assume most guilds are trying to group the initial released items together for incidental damage (Thus Impact Combustion should be spread to everything).

First of note might be using specifically for this fight - which ordinarily might be swapped out for other fights (in favour of Bell + Volcano). Timing your Impact Combustion to coincide with this item proc should be one way to dramatically increase the AOE dps of your Combustion.

I found myself hardcasting Pyroblasts on the pull - with the rule of thumb being I wouldnt use Impact Combustion until I saw a ~100k Pyroblast crit. (We release 4 Drakes at once). However by doing this, and with a Volcanic Pot used, my initial Impact Combustion 'only' peaked at 350 000 dps. This is miniscule compared to what's possible, as other logs are showing.

How are you going about leveraging your Impact Combustions on Halfus 25 Heroic? Is there anything (gear, rotation, timing etc) you do differently - specifically for this fight to leverage it?

This fight is Fire Mage AOE heaven. It's a fun opportunity to scheme to leverage class mechanics, to the point where they become obscenely powerful. Situational? Yes. But we can still look for ways to make the most of it while it lasts.

#35 Anubisblack

Anubisblack

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

How are you going about leveraging your Impact Combustions on Halfus 25 Heroic? Is there anything (gear, rotation, timing etc) you do differently - specifically for this fight to leverage it?

The short answer is "No. There isn't anything that you should do differently in this fight than any other to see these numbers."

You should be using the T10 bug on every fight (equip 4pcT10, cast MI, change gear back) for 18% increased damage. That, coupled with the Flame Cap that you should be using with your prepot at the start and Halfus' vulnerability makes it almost trivial to reach those "astronomical" numbers considering all your procs should be up at the start as well. The only factor playing a role is RNG. In the log you linked we can see the lack of Ignite munching before the Combustion that makes the difference. That mage has 28k Ignite when he pops Combustion, so he might have not even waited for Pyro or LB, seeing how his Combustion ticks are around 30k as well.

So the only "trick" is to stay on Halfus with all those buffs up and hope that the RNG gods will be kind and a Fireball crit won't suddenly drop your Ignite from 30k to 12k for example.

#36 cnumartyr

cnumartyr

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

This fight is Fire Mage AOE heaven. It's a fun opportunity to scheme to leverage class mechanics, to the point where they become obscenely powerful. Situational? Yes. But we can still look for ways to make the most of it while it lasts.

I'm not doing 25s anymore, but my 10 man parse is still ~15k ahead of anyone else.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Really the only thing you can do is hope for that big Ignite and Lust + Combustion + Impact to get those extra ticks. After that I just stayed on Halfus the entire time and Blast Waved on Cooldown to cleave big Ignites off of him. Other than that I calculated my Haste and Combustion cut offs a few times and ended up reforging for a bit more Haste to get over a plateau under lust.

Personally I didn't MI off the bat for the 18% and instead chose to pop MI later after using Combustion (though I could have invis'd and may try that this time).

#37 Ring0

Ring0

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:49 AM

While the size of your Combustion is largely dependant on your raid's approach to Halfus, you do have some degree of control over how to maximize the damage it can do in any given strategy:

The first debate posed forward, and one that will significantly reduce the randomness of your ignites, is usage of Fireball or Scorch in the seconds building up to the usage of Combustion:

* Use of Fireball will give you a slightly larger ignite, whilst opening yourself to the risk of having your ignite fall off.
* Scorch will still yield a large ignite, with a higher chance of pulling off a great combustion, at the expense of not achieving your theoretical best Combustion.

Although neither approach will give you a certainty of getting the Combustion of your dreams, based on the cast time & travel time of Fireball compared to that of Ignite the argument leans towards Ignite being used as the filler nuke. However, one is always free to 'take the risk' with Fireball in the hopes of achieving a higher damage output, bearing in mind that there will be an inherent higher risk of losing your ignite.

Again there is still a chance of simply having a lack of crits with Scorch, just that there is less of a chance of it within the given time window compared to Fireball due to the lack of a travel time and shorter base cast on Scorch.

Delaying Flame Orb usage until after Combustion has set sail should also yield better results.

I hadn't seen of hard-casting pyroblasts, other than the single pre-pull. I'm surprised this didn't yield satisfactory results as it is more likely to satisfy two out of the three Combustion requirements (and the two RNG-based ones at that). A quick log browse from the top parses show both Ignite and Fireball fillers before the Combustion. Could this be elaborated on? It seems counter-intuitive that our hardest-hitting spell isn't yielding superior results to the two alternatives given the circumstances.

I also agree with Tyrian that mastery stacking will yield excellent results. Assuming a four drakes released at the start approach the same can be argued for haste effects on pull, to allow for more Scorch/Fireball while building up the ignite. These are slightly harder to control and outside of your direct control, both falling under the category of preparing outside of combat. Also included are the obvious consumable/buff stacking associated with any min/maxing: T10 set bonus, volcanic potion, flame cap, dark intent. Are there any other pre-fight improvements to be added? During ICC the Might of Malygos buff from Dragonblight could be obtained to achieve extreme numbers during Blood Queen, and would not disappear after zone-in. This could possibly be added as it will still be effective, if it has not been fixed. Fel-Infused buff from Desolace has also been mentioned.

Lastly, once the Combustion is away your most effective approach should be to Blast wave, and use Impact procs every time they come up to spread your damage increased DoTs on the drakes. This cleave damage should yield superior results than single target damage on Heroic given a four drake strategy, as well as contributing to bringing Halfus himself down. Do not delay Impact spreading for a Hot Streak to proc, as just the ignite itself ticking away on all targets will make it worthwhile. Flamestrike wouldn't benefit from the increased damage on Halfus, and as such wouldn't be worth using compared to the above other than to 'force' Impact procs once a large ignite is reached if one isn't up already. The same can be argued for Blast Wave. Speccing into Improved Fire Blast would be worthwhile as well, to get more chances of a crit Fire Blast out of the GCD you are using anyway.

#38 duloth

duloth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

During the Atramedes encounter we used this mechanic:

As soon as he goes into the air phase and targets the first victim a mage will bang the gong and wait to be targeted by moving into the opening of the corridor with the "bell" which get destroyed after the initial animation (to be even more clear, the place where he lands before the pull).

When he targets the mage, you can gain several second by blinking on the bottom of the corridor, and using Iceblock/Invisibility (according to the cooldowns) to have him target a new one.

At this point you gained enough time to avoid wasting more gongs and the added bonus is that you usually end up with a nearly clean room.

#39 Prozz

Prozz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

apparently mage tier 10 4 piece bonus still works even if you remove your t10s. made a really simple spreadsheet.

first column, im in my regular lvl 85 gear. spammed ice lance 10x; those are the damages

second column, added 18% (a+a*.18)

third column, ice lance damages with t10 4pc. what i did was equipped 4 pieces of t10, cast mirror image, put on my regular lvl 85 gear, then spammed ice lance.

Posted Image
last two rows are crits

obviously, we can't swap gear during combat, so consider this a sort of pre-pull ritual. let me know what you guys think.

#40 DeathDefier

DeathDefier

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

I heard about this a couple weeks ago and have been doing it on most bosses since. Basically you make sure you get a countdown on every pull and do it around 4 or 3 seconds, switch gear, pre-pot and then get a tick of water or pre-cast pyroblast (depends on whether gaining the extra mana back will matter or not). It really helps make your combustion very large in the beginning of fights when stacked with other procs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users