• This topic is locked This topic is locked
255 replies to this topic

#41 Diabhalta

Diabhalta

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

I have been playing around with 4pcT10 -> MI -> Gearswap pre-pull to leverage the quad-core buff and was curious what others are doing to fill the mana pool drop this creates. It leaves me with a deficit of 15k mana and my thoughts are either:

a) Ignore it and just burn to evocate point as normal
B) Pop a mana gem
c) Try and get a few ticks of food in (concern here is need to pop MI quite early and they're at least 2/3rds brain dead and will pull something)

I'm leaning towards (B) but would love to hear what others are doing.

#42 Malcophant

Malcophant

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

I have been playing around with 4pcT10 -> MI -> Gearswap pre-pull to leverage the quad-core buff and was curious what others are doing to fill the mana pool drop this creates. It leaves me with a deficit of 15k mana and my thoughts are either:

a) Ignore it and just burn to evocate point as normal
B) Pop a mana gem
c) Try and get a few ticks of food in (concern here is need to pop MI quite early and they're at least 2/3rds brain dead and will pull something)

I'm leaning towards (B) but would love to hear what others are doing.

When I do use it, I use option c). The key (in my experience) is to keybind both your your main gear set to something easy to hit, as well as your water and mirrors. It takes about 3-4 seconds to get to full mana after re-equipping your gear, so (assuming you countdown the pull) it shouldn't be too hard to be max or close to max mana on the pull.

#43 Hibbo

Hibbo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

With the last changes from PTR Fireball mana cost changed to 9% base mana you can consider option a) and B) both as very valuable and cast the Mirror Images at about 3 seconds pre-pull.

#44 Wizeowel

Wizeowel

old and slow

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

Let's stop with the speculation about the best pull technique with 2T10. Either sim it or show some logs or I'll be handing out infractions instead of warnings.

#45 Dankz

Dankz

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

Mirror images seem to bug out the Nefarian encounter when precasted before the pull. It happened to me 3 times in a row. The images themselves didn't start casting, but the boss aggro'd and the encounter started.

#46 thunderstung

thunderstung

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

How are you going about leveraging your Impact Combustions on Halfus 25 Heroic? Is there anything (gear, rotation, timing etc) you do differently - specifically for this fight to leverage it?

I'm not sure if anyone is actually doing this, but if you really want a high WoL parse you could consider getting the Fel-Infused buff from Thunder Axe Fortress in Desolace before pull. 25% crit and 5% health regen for 1 minute. I'm not certain if this is hot fixed or not, but some guildies said they did it for regular Cho'gall and it worked. (This would have been 3 weeks ago.)

#47 babibele

babibele

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

They used anti-magic bubble, CD from priests and Iceblock to stay alive. You should see the Ensidia's video of Cho'gall where a mage is using this.

#48 Plea

Plea

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:47 PM

You must be referring to spamming instant pyroblasts at Cho'gall, and let me state what's obvious to many people:

You can get absolute corruption at Cho'gall intentionally, allowing you to spam instant pyroblasts, at the expense of all healing taken. Only unavoidable damage is Cho'galls aoe at shadow powered state, which is shadow damage and is mitigated through resists. You may use several tricks to keep you alive; power word: shield, hand of sacrifice, anti magic zone, resist trinket from tol barad, cauterize to iceblock, etc.

Mage armor is ideal for additional resist, and you need the mana regen anyway. Best time to get full corruption is probably right after the first adherent.

#49 Brandox

Brandox

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

More of a warning, than tricks. On Heroic Ascendant Council, if you are targeted by the Frost Beacon and have Mirror Images up either previously or after the orb has spawned it will switch targets randomly and probably wipe your raid.

I'd advise you to not use Mirror Images for the entirety of Phase 2.
Midwinter 4/8 HM
US 6th

#50 Swindley

Swindley

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:23 AM

I have a small tip for the achievment "Headed south" which many think to be the hardest one for glory of the cataclysm hero.

You should start the fight with use trinkets and pyroblast, then fireball, hope for a crit and use combustion. Apparently combustion is not affected by his shield and you can take as much as 15-20% of his health down at the start, making the achievment a little bit easier.

#51 kryst

kryst

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

The recent fix to Ring of Frost that allows it to be used on transports (elevators, etc.) means that Ring of Frost is now usable on Nefarian as another way to control the Animated Bone Warriors.

Previously, attempting to use Ring of Frost would generate a "this can't be used here" error.

#52 Kolenzo

Kolenzo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

It's possible to use invis to avoid the stun on the ascendant councils phase transition, similar to normal professor putricides tear gas. If you do this, make sure you have images available because you will be getting threat on the monstrosity before the tank has even touched it.

#53 Pasture

Pasture

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

It's possible to use invis to avoid the stun on the ascendant councils phase transition, similar to normal professor putricides tear gas. If you do this, make sure you have images available because you will be getting threat on the monstrosity before the tank has even touched it.

If I remember correctly a large portion of this stun is the various council members forming into the elemental monstrosity. How much time do you actually get on the monstrosity using this trick before the rest of the raid break?

In terms of tips and hints we can scrap now:

- T10 four piece. This no longer works as of the most recent patch. Any spell cast while not wearing the T10 set will now cancel the damage bonus.
- Combustion spreading on heroic Halfus. Due to changes in mechanics of this fight Halfus no longer takes full damage until all drakes are killed (as opposed to released as it was). Of course Combustion spreading will still be useful, but we can no longer roll giant Combustions off Halfus at max damage and spread to the Drakes and Whelps. It seems like this was specifically targeted at Fire mages and Disc priests.

#54 Ilyawen

Ilyawen

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

On the change to Halfus I would like to add that it is still massively useful to spread DMG via impact from Halfus.

Unlike before, it is now actually needed to kill all or most of the drakes (while most strategies before relied on tanking them through all of the encounter, and only kill one or two. We just tried it yesterday, and left only one Drake alive, and could have made the fight even smoother and easier if we had killed that as well.

Knowing that, after the first Drake is dead it is arguably better to spread DoTs from Halfus at increased DMG. From what I've seen in my own logs, it works out to be a bit less dmg on the second drake you kill, but over time, constantly spreading will mean you will be doing most damage of any class on the whelps, and any Drake after the second. Just don't try spreading from Halfus while you're still working on the first Drake ;)

#55 Kolenzo

Kolenzo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

If I remember correctly a large portion of this stun is the various council members forming into the elemental monstrosity. How much time do you actually get on the monstrosity using this trick before the rest of the raid break?

In terms of tips and hints we can scrap now:

- T10 four piece. This no longer works as of the most recent patch. Any spell cast while not wearing the T10 set will now cancel the damage bonus.
- Combustion spreading on heroic Halfus. Due to changes in mechanics of this fight Halfus no longer takes full damage until all drakes are killed (as opposed to released as it was). Of course Combustion spreading will still be useful, but we can no longer roll giant Combustions off Halfus at max damage and spread to the Drakes and Whelps. It seems like this was specifically targeted at Fire mages and Disc priests.

You get around 15 seconds dps time on the adds (which of course translates directly into damage on the monstrosity), plus a couple of seconds on the monstrosity itself.

On Halfus, you simply wait to swap to Halfus until the first drake has died.

#56 Eschwits

Eschwits

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:29 PM

Magmaw's exposed head will still take damage from dots even after it is no longer exposed. Whether this damage is reflected in his total health pool I do not know.

#57 Tinkerer

Tinkerer

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

It is. Both me and our raiding warlock found a significant increase in DPS and damage done to Magmaw if we reapplied our DoTs just before Magmaw's head stopped being exposed. It's worth doing, because it also seems to still get the 100% extra damage throughout.

#58 Charlemagna

Charlemagna

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

Haven't been much posting on Nefarian here:

Raiding in 10 man - I went Frost to kite adds in Phase 1 of Nefarian. Found it challenging and a nice change of pace.

Is anyone noticing any bugs or issues with threat relating to Nefarian's Bone Warriors? I find every so often I have no chance of actually having threat on them, despite hitting them instantly with a Frostbolt + Ice Lance, and being the only person with any threat on Omen.

One thought I had was that the Bone Warriors share the agro table with Onyxia and by opening up on Ony and fishing for some FoF procs, I found that to help significantly, but can't confirm that theory.

As a failsafe, we had a back up Hunter ready with slowing trap and his taunt to collect the 5 Bone Warriors.

#59 Yetigeeze

Yetigeeze

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:01 AM

Has this been fixed? Several of us tried this on our kill this past week and no one was able to pull it off.

#60 Elge

Elge

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

- regarding 10man Nefarian -

Regarding the thread issue: Do you have a priest levitate the whole raid before jumping down? We noticed some strange behavior with Levitate, mainly Onyxia/Nefarian and the Bone Warriors not attacking anyone with an active Levitate. Try using Slow Fall instead of Levitate on everyone, who is involved in some sort of tanking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users