• This topic is locked This topic is locked
255 replies to this topic

#21 Judithe

Judithe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

If anyone that's made it through the first two bosses of BWD could weigh in with any tips, I'd expect this is where a lot of priests will be seeing their first Cataclysm raid encounters.

I've tried Magmaw as Disc, doing raid heals and found that I didn't have the throughput to deal with the consistent, heavy damage. I'm going to try it as Holy, but in my testing so far it seems that while my HPM while in Sanctuary should be fine, I'm running out of mana noticably faster. My "rotation" is pretty much PoM, CoH, PoH, a renew or two, yelling at people to use lightwell, and ignoring most of the other spells that have lower HPM. Will Shadowfiend, HoH and a pot be enough to keep this up through the fight, or do I need to look for more efficiency somewhere?

If throughput is your concern on Magmaw, holy is probably the way to go and having people in your raid that are 'trained' to use lightwell will certainly ease your mana consumption. The chained phases are great opportunities for regen if your group is executing them smoothly and your personal CDs + pot should be enough to last you through the fight if that's the case. I typically run with a resto shaman and have the benefit of mana tide, so my experience may be different than yours, though. I think the fight is long enough (this will vary, of course) to benefit from veiled shadows if you find yourself running low often.

#22 Sokaris84

Sokaris84

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

For Magmaw I renew anyone hit by the 3 target fireball, and PoH/CoH to deal with the raid-wide AOE. Start your PoMs on yourself, since the tank (in our strategy at least) is too far away from everyone else for it to bounce to them. Don't be afraid to dump some mana (ie. Flash Heals), since you have good regen time while Magmaw is spiked. Drop your lightwell in the kite path for the parasites and encourage people to use it.

When Magmaw is spiked, this is your chance to regen mana. It's the perfect time for a Potion of Concentration, or a Shadowfiend+HoH combo since no one is in any immediate danger. If people need healing while he is spiked, don't be ashamed to bust out some bandages on your raid!

#23 Elerion

Elerion

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

For Magmaw, note also that the first "Parasite phase" seems to be much longer than the subsequent parasite phases. If you can last it until the end of the first phase and drop SF+HoH during the spiked phase, you're usually good until the end of the fight, since from that point you're spending a much larger percentage of the time spiked. It's one of those fights where you wonder how the hell you're going to have enough mana to finish the encounter, but once you get over the hump, it's not really an issue.

#24 Foith

Foith

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

Ye, i spend like 50-60% of my mana before the first spike phase and the regen everything with one SF+Mana Tide. From there on the mana is a non-issue for me atleast, basically spam PoH and keep PoM/CoH on cd. I might get a little low on mana around 10% but thats usually when my SF is ready again.
Heres a log from our kill this week: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

#25 TrlstanC

TrlstanC

Banned

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

Does anyone know how Magmaw's Magma Spit targeting works? Comparing our logs to some other guild's it looks like we're taking relatively more damage from the Spits. I think it will only hit players out of melee range (or at least only rarely hit a melee) and we ended up with 3 of our ranged DPSers who were killing the parasites getting hammered by this ability. Is there a mechanic we're missing to minimize the damage? Or should we just try to keep more people out of melee range to spread the damage around more?

#26 rooj

rooj

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

We are currently on 25 man Chimaeron.

I have healed our other encounters as AA-Atonement spec and while the throughput is a bit disappointing, I don't *yet* feel completely useless.

On Chimaeron, I actually find that I have plenty of time to get my Evangelism stacks and penance is a nice way to get someone up from Caustic Slime. Yes, I know, this means the tank doesn't have grace, but quite frankly, I have yet to find a better spell to get someone over the necessary 10k health line quickly. Shields are very bad on this fight and only great for making sure I get rapture procs with the tank. PoH is an obvious bread and butter spell after massacre, but I am finding that my throughput is still a smidge low. My PoH hits for about 7k which obviously means I am scrambling a bit after a massacre to make sure everyone gets over the hump of 10k.

If any other disc priest has any tips on this fight i would appreciate it. Otherwise, I may decide to switch to holy.

#27 gia

gia

♥

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

I haven't tried Atonement on Chimaeron due to the random heal nature, you want to have very specific assignments on that fight and it goes against that, although starting the feud phase with an archangel would certainly be nice.

Make sure you are assigned to heal yourself as binding heal is perfect for the fight and handle the other assignments with binding/flash heal, always have one lined up to land right after massacre (unless you are assigned to a full group and have all in range to PoH x2). Use (glyphed) PW:B a few seconds after feud starts and make sure your other healers save some of their cooldowns for the feuds when PW:B is not up.

Also, in case you haven't done that yet, set up an indicator in your raid frames to highlight people with the Low Health - Spell - World of Warcraft debuff.

#28 Elerion

Elerion

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

For Chimaeron, the most mana efficient way a priest can handle Phase 1 is to be assigned to a single group of which he himself is a member, and then spending excess casting time on healing tanks.

Casting pattern:

On Massacre:
- One PoH brings entire group above 10k.

On poison bolt:
- If only you are hit by bolt: Binding Heal on a tank.
- If you and one more person in the group is hit by bolt: Binding Heal on that person.
- If one person in the group (not you) is hit by bolt: Heal on that person (Alternatively Flash Heal if tank is in peril)
- If two or more people in the group besides you are hit by bolt: Prayer of Healing.

This ensures a minimum of casting time and mana is spent on patching up the damage. The priest in this case can keep up one group nearly indefinitely and still spend the majority of his time on tanks.

This is tested as an entry geared holy priest. Entry geared disc priests may experience issues with this method, as their Heal and PoH spells may not consistently heal 10khp in a single cast.

#29 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3120 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

I personally swapped to Holy for Chimaeron fight because Divine Aegis is effectively useless for most of the fight. A person at 7k health with a 20k shield wouldn't allow said person to survive Caustic Slime.

More or less did exactly as Elerion suggested above, except we assigned 1 Holy Priest per 2 groups. A Holy Paladin more or less solo healed both tanks (with Lifebloom support). Guardian Spirit rotation on Double Attack coming out of Feud.

Everyone should start from the same place and rise based on their abilities, desires, and schedule. No one plays MMOs to *be* powerful, they play MMOs to *become* powerful. It's the journey, stupid. The rarer loot is, the more cherished it is when you get it, but only so long as there is a reasonable expectation to get it. The rarer loot is, the better it feels when you kill a boss or when $AWESOME_TRINKET drops.

#30 Carnathagia

Carnathagia

Piston Honda

• Allied Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

We did 10 man Chimaeron the same way we did Penetrating Cold; have the healers sort the raid the same way, and 1 healer gets the first debuffed player, and the 2nd healer gets the 2nd debuffed player. As Holy, you'll get Test of Faith for each heal, so I found that with good reflexes for this (which Penetrating Cold definitely honed) Heal was enough to get someone above 10k HP. I used Flash Heal on the last slime before Massacre since there would not be time for mastery ticks or Healing Stream Totem ticks, and it hasted my first Prayer of Healing for Massacre. Otherwise, I would make sure the Double Attack tank was topped off and save my mana for Fued.

How many Caustic Slimes go out at once on 25 man? This strategy might be more difficult to adapt to that raid size depending on that.
Emraldè - Resto/Balance Druid - Carnathagia - Holy/Disc Priest - Liltankh - Prot/Fury Warrior
Jovavich - Arcane/Fire Mage

#31 ssjsigma

ssjsigma

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

My guild has been killing chimaeron25 for a couple weeks. I'm pretty sure 4-5 slimes go out every time. The best way to organize it that we came up with is to assign one healer per group for low health and let the tank healers do their thing(this implies that you should bring 7 healers, you might get away with less at better gear levels but 7 is a good starting point).

This works really well for the priests because if 3 people get hit in your group you can poh to get them all above 10k.
Most of the time you have to heal one person up and sometimes two. Even though other classes don't have group heals like PoH healing up 2 or more people isn't that hard.The big thing is this eliminates overhealing(healing people once they are over 10k) so you can conserve mana for when the bot is offline and you need to crank out heals. Just keep in mind the assignments are mostly arbitrary and it's just a easy way to say I have these 5 people you don't have to worry about them. In 10 man you don't need to do anything as complex and something like Carnathagia suggested works fine.

#32 Miarose

Miarose

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

I personally swapped to Holy for Chimaeron fight because Divine Aegis is effectively useless for most of the fight. A person at 7k health with a 20k shield wouldn't allow said person to survive Caustic Slime.

More or less did exactly as Elerion suggested above, except we assigned 1 Holy Priest per 2 groups. A Holy Paladin more or less solo healed both tanks (with Lifebloom support). Guardian Spirit rotation on Double Attack coming out of Feud.

How many healers do you run with on that fight? I assume you're talking about 25 man since its 1 priest per 2 groups. My guild encountered some slight issues on Chimaeron. The holy priests and disc priest were fine healing up their group (we ran 7 healers, one per group, 2 pallies on tanks), however the resto druid was having a terrible time. I wonder if it makes sense to drop down to 6 healers and have a priest just cover two groups, possibly running only one pally with the druid+disc assisting if needed.
"If I was gold capped I'd blow it all on drugs and sex." - Phrozenn

#33 sinnee

sinnee

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

How many healers do you run with on that fight? I assume you're talking about 25 man since its 1 priest per 2 groups. My guild encountered some slight issues on Chimaeron. The holy priests and disc priest were fine healing up their group (we ran 7 healers, one per group, 2 pallies on tanks), however the resto druid was having a terrible time. I wonder if it makes sense to drop down to 6 healers and have a priest just cover two groups, possibly running only one pally with the druid+disc assisting if needed.

What we do is, we form a self-healing ranged dps grp, consisting of warlocks, shadow priests and an elemental shammy for healing totem. We give them a lightwell, and they pretty much keep themselves up, without any dedicated healer.
You can have your resto druid be on tank healing, and assist the self-sufficient group when needed.

We are also killing him with 7 healers; the heavy dmg phase is much easier with 7 and there are no dps requirements to drop to 6 healers.

#34 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10259 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

We actually run 8 healers for Chimaeron. If you think about it, it's really not a DPS intensive fight at all. All the work is on the healers. It takes so long for Chimaeron to kill your raid sub 20% with everyone using their proper survival tools, and all the healers are DPS'ing at that point anyways.

We also very carefully coordinate cooldowns for each Feud. Usually we have 5 of them to deal with -- I can PWB 1/3/5 and Divine Hymn on another, while the other disc priest can PWB 2/4 and use Divine Hymn on another.

I find on that fight that the causes of wipes come from 2 different directions. If you're wiping during Feuds, it means you have a throughput problem. This can be mitigated with better use of raid cooldowns, or adding a healer. If you're wiping outside of Feuds, you have an execution problem in healing people up when they get hit by Slime. Tank deaths should be fairly rare.

With 8 healers, we have 2 dedicated to the tank, one healer assigned to each group to patch people up, and one floater. The floater will start at the "bottom" of groups, while the healers assigned to each group will start at the top of theirs. If nobody gets hit from my group, I'll pick another group that has 2 or 3 people hit and start at the bottom as well. This ensures that myself and the healer assigned to that group aren't healing the same person right away.

I think Holy is better at patching people up, but PWB (glyphed of course) is an extremely powerful cooldown on this fight. Feud healing becomes much easier.

One last thing -- remind your DPS that the slime puts a -75% hit debuff on you, so during Feuds hybrids can heal themselves some as well.

#35 Carnathagia

Carnathagia

Piston Honda

• Allied Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

We started 25 mans last night, and after breezing through the first three with no trouble, we had to take a few attempts on Chimaeron. We started with a modified version of our 10 man strategy where 5 healers were assigned the 5 debuffs, but after several attempts we opted for the group assignment strategy, which worked much better. I used the suggestions above, such as Binding Heal when myself and one other were debuffed, and Prayer of Healing with 3 of more. Also, often I would save 3 people in a shaman's group with a hasted PoH before Massacre. We started with 6 healers, until we realized we needed more throughput and cooldowns for Fued, and our Shadow Priest switched to Discipline to make 7 (2 Paladins on tanks/support, 1 Druid, 2 Shaman, 2 Priests each assigned one group). Also, this was one fight where Holy Word: Sanctuary seemed to have some use. I usually had plenty of mana going into Fued, but we needed extra throughput to keep everyone alive. However, looking back at the logs how abysmally it performed, I'm not so sure. 121k healing done over the course of 3 fueds is only 1613 healing done per player on each fued, and I don't recall anyone lower than that.
Emraldè - Resto/Balance Druid - Carnathagia - Holy/Disc Priest - Liltankh - Prot/Fury Warrior
Jovavich - Arcane/Fire Mage

#36 Beetrootz

Beetrootz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

How have people been handling the second phase of Nefarian? I've been going into it with 100% mana, but I ran OOM extremely quickly even while popping Core of Ripeness, Synapse Springs, and Shadowfiend. I had a Lightwell out and was mostly relying on Binding Heal and CoH for healing my pillar. I have a shaman with me for Mana Tide so there's really not much more to help my mana. The only thing I can think of to help would be re-organizing groups so I can actually PoH. Any other suggestions?

Here is a WoL from phase two on our last attempt:
World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

#37 tedv

tedv

Observation: I am awesome

• Allied Members
  • 1796 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

How have people been handling the second phase of Nefarian? I've been going into it with 100% mana, but I ran OOM extremely quickly even while popping Core of Ripeness, Synapse Springs, and Shadowfiend. I had a Lightwell out and was mostly relying on Binding Heal and CoH for healing my pillar. I have a shaman with me for Mana Tide so there's really not much more to help my mana. The only thing I can think of to help would be re-organizing groups so I can actually PoH. Any other suggestions?

Bring three Discipline priests and use Power Word: Barrier on each pillar. Also arranging groups for Prayer of Healing does indeed help a lot.

Note that Discipline also has the benefit of doing a Borrowed Time + Power Infusion -> Hymn of Hope for basically a full mana bar for the entire healing team.

#38 UnholY_Prince

UnholY_Prince

King Hippo

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

Are you taking a 3rd Lightning Machine before going into P2? If so have a Disc Priest PWB the raid, and/or D.Guardian the last one to keep everyone a bit more topped off before going to their pillars. I found in 10m that rolling Renews with Heal to autorefresh in Serenity worked great. In 25m I'd imagine Sanctuary and PoM with CoH and PoH would be best. Make sure to have your Shaman time Mana tide with a Spirit proc or clicky on your end.

#39 Beetrootz

Beetrootz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

A better group configuration did the trick. I was able to mostly PoH rather than mostly relying on BH/GH spam. It was still pressing on mana (as it should be) but not impossible. Mana Tide shortly before phase 2 and immediately after it ends helped a ton, also.

We don't have a disc priest for the crackles (I'm holy). Instead we just rotate Divine Guardian and Divine Hymn/Tranq on phase 2 as needed.

#40 rooj

rooj

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

Quick question, I assume that the Pain Suppression Glyph works during Heroic Halfus 25 man's Furious Roar. Can anyone confirm?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users