Photo

[Enhancement] BiS gear and set-up discussion (4.3 and onward)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
142 replies to this topic

#1 Ashunera

Ashunera

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

The purpose of this post is to provide the current best-in-slot gearing setup for an Enhancement Shaman. It will be be kept as up to date as possible.
This is not intended to discuss or debate which race or professions are the best for an Enhancement Shaman, and only to discuss our basic best in slot setup including glyphs.

For other Enhancement related discussion, refer to this thread: http://elitistjerks...._good_transmog/

This list obviously isn't final. Please keep in mind that while I believe this setup to be the best currently available in game, I am human and have not tested every possible setup. If I have made mistakes, spelling errors, or there's an error in a config file, or you have any other questions or comments, send me a PM rather than cluttering up the thread.

If you believe you have a gear, enchant, gem, reforge, imbue or glyph or talent setup that is superior, you'll need to simulate your setup and provide data supporting your claim, keeping a few things consistent with what is outlined here. For the sake of consistency, most parameters required will be similar to those outlined in the 3.3 BiS discussion thread by Vespasian and Rava.

Race: Must be Tauren. Other races provide a dps increase.
Professions: Must be Alchemy and Enchanting. They do not interfere with normal enchants and provide +80 agility each.
Mana: Simulating mana is not necessary, we are not limited by it. It's fine if you do, the results should be identical either way. Do not use Shamanistic Rage as soon as available.
Simulation Time: 5000 hours
Combat Length: 7 minutes
Combat Variation: 35%
Reaction Time: 230-260.
Talents: This is the talent setup currently being used. Please note that Shamanistic Rage will be considered a required talent point.
PLEASE INCLUDE CONFIG FILE AND DPS REPORT WITH YOUR POST, as well as any and all changes you made from those found under the item list.

Agility main hand:

With 4.3, spell power weapons are dead. We are not likely to see them compete again in the future.
I don't have a config/dps report to give yet, but wanted to update for 4.3 as quickly as possible, so until I'm able to provide them, if you have any setups you believe to be better, please PM me instead of cluttering up this thread unless you can provide significant data supporting it.

There is a lot of potential for different setups to have very similar output this tier, as several of the highest agility items also have very weak secondary stat combinations, namely Sporebeard Gauntlets, Belt of the Beloved Companion, Treads of Dormant Dreams and Signet of Grasping Mouths. Spiritwalker's Grips, or VP gear in the other 3 cases may be very competitive. It's also entirely possible that some setups will go as high as 60 points over the spell hit cap. Hit beyond the cap is often better than Haste Rating.

Chardev profile: chardev 9

[table=head]Slot | Item | Gem 1 | Gem 2 | Gem3 | Reforge | Enchant
Head | | | | - | Haste -> Mastery |
Neck | | - | - | - | Haste -> Expertise | -
Shoulders | | | | - | Expertise -> Mastery |
Back | | | | - | Mastery -> Expertise | Enchant Cloak - Greater Critical Strike
Chest | | | | | - | Enchant Chest - Peerless Stats
Wrists | | | - | - | Crit -> Hit | Enchant Bracer - Agility
Hands | | | | - | Crit -> Hit | Enchant Gloves - Greater Mastery
Waist | | | | | Crit -> Mastery |
Legs | | | | | Crit -> Mastery |
Feet | | | | - | Haste -> Mastery | Enchant Boots - Major Agility
Finger | | | - | - | Mastery -> Hit| Enchant Ring - Agility
Finger | | | - | - | Haste -> Mastery | Enchant Ring - Agility
Trinket | | - | - | - | - | -
Trinket | | - | - | - | - | -
Ranged | | | - | - | Crit -> Hit | -
Main | | - | - | - | - | Enchant Weapon - Landslide
Off | | - | - | - | - | Enchant Weapon - Landslide

[table=head]Priority
Searing Totem if not present
Stormstrike
Lava Lash
Maelstrom Weapon x5 Lightning Bolt
Flame Shock with Unleash Flame buff
Unleash Elements
Earth Shock
Feral Spirit
Searing Totem if <5 ticks left
Maelstrom Weapon x4 Lightning Bolt

[Table=head]Imbues
Main Hand: Windfury Weapon
Off Hand: Flametongue Weapon

[table=head]Glyphs

Stat values (DPS)
These are the stat values used with the below Config file. Yours will be different. Sim it yourself for your own character for best results.
[Table=head]Stat | EP value | Value in DPS
Attack Power | 1.0 | 1.64
Crit rating | 1.02 | 1.67
Hit rating (past spell cap) | 0.82 | 1.34
Hit rating (below spell cap) | 2.05 | 3.41
Expertise rating (below dodge cap) | 1.82 | 2.98
Haste rating | 0.53 | 0.87
Mastery rating | 1.66 | 2.73
Main hand DPS | 2.98 | 4.90
Off hand DPS | 2.32 | 3.80
Agility | 2.59 | 4.26
Strength | 1.03 | 1.70

DPS Report and config file:

Spoiler

#2 SentinelBorg

SentinelBorg

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Talents:
[...] This gear list will be accurate for the vast majority of PvE DPS specs players will take, and I've opted out of having one point in Elemental Precision (despite it being very slightly better than Concussion) for consistency - far too many players simply will not take the talent for very legitimate reasons.

Thanks for your work, but what exactly are those reasons? It is more DPS (~100 in my tests) and I don't see the drawbacks. With Andoros you even get some additional spell hit.

Also exchanging the Feral Spirit Glyph with the Flametongue Glyph increases the DPS by around 200 with the current version 2.3.0 of the sim.

#3 bestpike

bestpike

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for your work Ashunera. However where you speak about trinkets its a bit vague. By "proper" weapons you mean Agility ones? And second, you say Essence of the Cyclone is the second best trinket, does that include Fluid Death also?

#4 Ashunera

Ashunera

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

You're right, by "proper" weapon I mean an Agility weapon. Essence of the Cyclone would be second best for second slot, or third best overall, though I didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to rank trinkets, and just didn't find any setups where Essence or Prestor's came out above either of the top two.

From my testing, trinkets ranked something like this (possibility of human error and will not be accurate for all setups of course):

comes out below pretty much every item level 346 Agility trinket. I didn't bother playing around with , but I don't see it competing.

#5 Israfel

Israfel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

According to the in-game links, all the caster weapons you linked have been 'nerfed', as in have less than 100 dps.
A few options would be to use the Twilight Highlands caster mace, , which has ~333dps ingame, or the , whose stats are about the same ingame.

#6 charissa

charissa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

I'm looking in the the gearset's at this moment and i was wandering, what is the best routine to make an optimal gear set? Is it first select gear, then select enchant, then gems and then reforge or is there another optimal order? Or is there any order at all?

Second question is it also possible to list BiS set for non-heroic if possible. Since not everyone is able to run them. If i know the most optimal gear selection i will try the contribute to the non-heroic BiS set if needed.

Edit: Some Grammar

#7 sirtyface

sirtyface

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Ashunera, I'm not sure why, but the primary stats in your config are incorrect, which is throwing off other stats as well. STR should be 148 (it's 145), AGI should be 4544 (4699), INT 320 (309), SPI is correct. Here is the CharDev profile for your setup (with 2 points in Imp. Shields instead of Imp. Fire Nova, as these are a dps increase and are completely up-in-the-air points).

#8 Mykkal

Mykkal

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

Ashunera I understand that you are listing the BiS but I only have one issue:

Disclaimer: [Andoros, Fist of the Dragon King] is showing in game via Atlas Loot as having 2.3 speed, 2 - 331 damage, and 72.4 damage per second. We will not know for sure until it drops, though I'm inclined to believe game data over Wowhead. If it has the 1.8 speed Wowhead suggests, [Twilight's Hammer] will be better, as it shows 2.3 speed both in game and on Wowhead. Keep in mind that by the time it's possible for players even in the very best guilds to acquire either item, Blizzard will likely have fixed our desire to use weapons with spell power. In the meantime, [Incineratus] (Haste -> Expertise + Landslide) is a reasonably close third. Agility is more powerful than Mastery at all gear levels, regardless of whether you're running FT/FT or WF/FT, or using a Caster or Melee weapon.

If this does happen wouldn't it be best to also list a non-caster weapon that people should look for as trying to get a caster weapon in guild runs is also going to be difficult to do as a melee class in most cases.

#9 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

This thread should not be seen as a shopping list. Look at that gear list. Most people reading this thread won't be able to get any of it, much less one of the best caster weapons in the game. This is literally the best possible gear available to an enhancement shaman in this tier of raiding. If you could get it all right away, raiding wouldn't have the same meaning.

Instead, think of this thread as a fun exercise, the ultimate level in the meta game of planning out potential upgrades. With that in mind, things like "the best gear available for people who will never do any heroic fights, not even the easiest ones," or "the best weapon available, other than caster weapons, because Blizzard might make them not as valuable" don't fit the spirit of "best."

So what's the point of all this anyway, then?

Playing around with gear sets and priority orders can help us better understand how our class mechanics work, and how the tools we have work. We can even improve the accuracy of the tools based on discussions about what's truly the best setup.

As we improve our understanding of the class and mastery of the tools, we can then better plan out what gear will actually be upgrades for us, in the raid content we will actually see. And we can then better determine what gems, reforging, glyphs, and priority will provide the most potential dps for us, with the gear we actually have.

And, as I mentioned earlier, this whole exercise is meant to be fun.

#10 Vespasian

Vespasian

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thank you for getting something like this going again; I had considered doing so myself having recently returned to the class. It is disappointing that the thread began at time when FT is being re-designed- it will create a lot of confused Shaman. I would probably make the disclaimer relating to the upcoming nerf a touch clearer, lest the sort of posting above continues to ensue.

I think your decision relating to talents is off the mark. Certain talents and enchants (think runspeed) provide varying levels of utility, and it’s up to the player to make a judgment about what utility is most valuable at different times and in different circumstances. From my old post:

In light of these complexities, it is better for Shaman to find an ideal combination of gear, gems and enchants that provides the highest potential DPS when used in conjunction with a certain talent spec, glyph set-up and ability priority order (survivability [e.g. HP and dmg mitigation abilities] can and should not feature into this discussion since its DPS value cannot be definitively quantified)

This being a largely theoretical exercise dependent upon output generated by EnhSim, I think it best to allow people to spec however they choose. I personally don't take SR because I think its crap (there are no mechanics that benefit from having me taking 30% less dmg as I no longer have the lowest HP of any melee as I did back in WotLK). Many players would be of the same mind. Similarly, many players will run a second enh spec and some may choose to exercise Astral Swiftness from their builds because it provides less DPS than Imp Shield on certain encounters (again, see Runspeed discussion). My point is not 'omg SR is terrible'; my point is that this is about Enhsim DPS output, and the less restrictions we are able to put on people. the more robust the results will be.

Also, the priority queue looks rather static as you have written it. I would suggest a table format (as with the other dynamic variables) to encourage people to tweak this queue. Similar with the talent spec listing.

Finally, I think there is value in a post explaining methodology so that the lay-man can at least know the tools that are being used and can try it for themselves (I for one do not know how you managed to export your re-forged Chardev page to enhsim- if it is a manual process human error can creep in, making your cross-checking of people’s submissions take a lot longer). Perhaps a mod could squeeze in another post under your OP allowing you to do this

As you can tell, much of this is personal preference so feel free to discard as much or as little as you like. Best of luck with the thread- I look forward to following the discussion.

#11 Ashunera

Ashunera

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

A slow caster weapon is preferred, but the weapon speed doesn't mean quite as much as the weapon's spell power. The vast majority are 1.8 speed and very few 359+ have weapon DPS over the 72.4 mark.

For those curious, dual is the best main and off-hand if you refuse to use a spell power weapon.

It's hard to tell when exactly a caster weapon pulls ahead by a noticeable amount, but once you get to a point where you're looking for Mastery gear instead of Hit gear (or roughly around full 346 blues), a caster weapon starts to pull ahead by a few hundred dps. The only way to know for sure which setup is best for you with any given gear setup is to sim it. Keep in mind a target dummy will not provide you with accurate results - raid buffs significantly increase our spell damage output, while we bring the vast majority of melee buffs on our own. The disparity between Caster and Agility weapons only increases as you acquire more gear as well, and in full heroic quality gear, the switch to Crul'korak from Andoros (and the resulting switch to Windfury due to matched weapon speeds) will net you a 1000 DPS loss at least.

4.0.6 Shaman patch notes (not complete, and official forums are down as of this post) have a "fix" to Flametongue Weapon damage that will reduce this disparity, but I suspect it will not be enough to put Agility weapons ahead.

Thank you for getting something like this going again; I had considered doing so myself having recently returned to the class. It is disappointing that the thread began at time when FT is being re-designed- it will create a lot of confused Shaman. I would probably make the disclaimer relating to the upcoming nerf a touch clearer, lest the sort of posting above continues to ensue.

Thank you for the suggestions, the OP will remain a work in progress. I'll make Blizzard's intentions with Flametongue, and with any other changes they make regarding spell power weapons very clear as they become known. Updates to the list itself may take some time for now, as copying everything manually into EnhSim is very time consuming.

#12 Cochice

Cochice

dorf

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

I personally don't take SR because I think its crap...there are no mechanics that benefit from having me taking 30% less dmg

I'm sorry but this is simply not true, and not to sound inflammatory but this isn't the kind of thing that should be on these boards where people might get a misguided idea about what is and isn't important in a raid.

Encounters, off the top of my head (that I have experience with, I'm sure there are more in heroic), that contain very high, and very concentrated raid damage (or single target damage), and therefore encounters that using SR will likely prevent you from dying:
Heroic Omnitron Defense System - on Aquiring Target, (shadow infused) Lightning Conductor
Heroic Halfus - Mitigate raid damage on the pull, and Furious Roar
Nefarian - Massive raid damage every 10% of Nefarian's health, I forget what it's called
Conclave of the Winds - Nezir's Sleet Storm
Heroic Maloriak - Red phase fire breath, and dark phase for mitigating puddle damage
Chimeron - Fued

Just about every other raid encounter has a point where using SR situationally is encouraged, however these have absolute cut and dry points where using it is almost required, and if it's not up, some other cooldown is going to be needed (stoneclaw, bubble, raid wall, tranq etc).

I realize that this is a theoretical exercise in maximizing damage, but this isn't the type of thing that should be suggested under any circumstances.

#13 Saveric

Saveric

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

Ashunera I have a couple questions about your config file vs your chardev page.

Your config file has:

Str: 145
Agi: 4699
Int: 309
Melee Crit: 28.63
Attack Power: 10587
Spell Power: 8856
Spell Crit: 10.31
Spell Hit: 17.02

While your CharDev with your gear on it has:

Str: 156
Agi: 4525
Int: 320
Melee Crit: 24.49
Attack Power: 10489
Spell Power: 7761
Spell Crit: 10.33
Spell Hit: 17.86
Those are the numbers I found off from your gear list and your config. Was curious as to where you got the 174 Agility, 4.14% Melee Crit, 98 more attack power, and 1,095 more spell power while missing out on 11 Int, 0.03% Spell Crit(from the 11 Int), and 11 Str.

Is there some modification going on from your CharDev to EnhSim? When I input the corrected stats from CharDev to Enhsim I'm getting:

DPS Output
EnhSim version 2.3.0

................................................................................

MH:
miss                738331         6.47%
dodge               0              0.00%
glancing            2739392        24.02%
hit                 3523586        30.89%
crit                4404823        38.62%
average ap          15674.45       
clip                0              0.00%

MH Flametongue:
miss                0              0.00%
hit                 8466333        75.69%
crit                2719359        24.31%
cooldown            1320683        10.56%
average sp          13701.62       

MH Storsmtrike:
hit                 1078552        58.66%
crit                760022         41.34%
average ap          15634.78       

MH Unleashed Weapon Flametongue:
hit                 837995         75.73%
crit                268601         24.27%
average sp          13712.39       

OH:
miss                654171         6.48%
glancing            2421044        23.99%
hit                 3116863        30.89%
crit                3898827        38.64%
average ap          15670.80       

OH Flametongue:
hit                 7340093        75.68%
crit                2358432        24.32%
cooldown            3229374        24.98%
average sp          13699.44       

OH Stormstrike:
hit                 1073952        58.41%
crit                764622         41.59%
average ap          15665.84       

OH Unleashed Weapon Flametongue:
hit                 838532         75.78%
crit                268064         24.22%
average sp          13712.39       

Earth Shock:
hit                 647770         40.73%
crit                942684         59.27%
average sp          13690.70       

Flame Shock:
hit                 730243         75.70%
crit                234405         24.30%
average sp          13723.71       
dots hit            4518396        75.68%
dots crit           1451950        24.32%
average dot sp      13754.92       

Lava Lash:
hit                 965935         58.45%
crit                686656         41.55%
average ap          15633.19       

Lightning Bolt:
hit                 582540         31.06%
crit                1292895        68.94%
average sp          13715.90       

Lightning Shield:
hit                 977403         40.77%
crit                1420219        59.23%
average sp          13710.61       

Spirit Wolves:
glancing            1706332        23.98%
hit                 5196568        73.03%
crit                212616         2.99%
average ap          15984.64       

Searing Totem:
hit                 8115799        75.68%
crit                2608718        24.32%
average sp          13687.99       

Searing Flames:
hit                 3567511        75.68%
crit                1146250        24.32%
average sp          13679.00       

Trinket1 Damage:
hit                 786664         75.72%
crit                252219         24.28%

Maelstrom Weapon:
PPM                 34.65
efficiency          90.21%

flurry uptime                  78.34%
elemental devastation uptime   94.07%
UW Flametongue uptime          23.36%

mh enchant uptime              27.31%
oh enchant uptime              31.22%
stormstrike debuff uptime      98.99%
flame shock uptime             88.87%
lightning shield uptime        100.00%
searing totem uptime           99.77%
searing flame uptime           92.06%

MRPS without overregen
mana regen          0.08      0.03%
mp5                 27.56     10.83%
replenishment       30.82     12.12%
unrelenting storm   0.00      0.00%
primal wisdom       195.97    77.02%
shamanistic rage    0.00      0.00%
mana potion         0.00      0.00%
misc                0.00      0.00%

DPS                 PPM       MPS
white               2848.61   11.42%    71.66
flametongue         4086.29   16.38%    69.61
searing flames      995.67    3.99%     15.71
stormstrike         1088.76   4.36%     6.13      47.86     20.82%
lava lash           3410.39   13.67%    5.51      21.51     9.36%
searing totem       3161.95   12.68%    1.09      7.47      3.25%
earth shock         1262.65   5.06%     5.30      93.16     40.53%
flame shock         1763.21   7.07%     3.22      53.37     23.21%
  direct damage     475.45    26.96%    3.22
  dot tick          1287.77   73.04%    19.90
lightning bolt      2630.76   10.55%    6.25      0.00      0.00%
lightning shield    1170.35   4.69%     0.14      0.00      0.00%
spirit wolves       404.17    1.62%     0.56      6.51      2.83%
unleashed elements  1589.78   6.37%     3.69      25.21     10.97%
  MH Flametongue    794.98    50.01%    3.69
  OH Flametongue    794.79    49.99%    3.69
Trinket1            530.52    2.13%     3.46

DPS                 24943.12
MPS                 229.88
MP2min              27585.05
MRPS                808.45
Out of mana time    0.00%

elapsed simulation time: 5000.00h
elapsed real time: 26.08s
simulation speed: 690236x

Total DPS: 24,943.12

Config:
### Saved by v2.3.0 of EnhSimGUI

config_version                  2.3.0
simulation_time                 5000
simulation_time_combatlog       300
combat_length                   7
report_count                    80
threads                         1
combat_length_rng_factor        0.35
min_lag                         230
max_lag                         260
simulate_mana                   1
cast_sr_on_cooldown             0

ep_precision                    2
ep_base_stat                    ap
ep_ap                           200
ep_crit_rating                  100
ep_hit_rating                   -100
ep_expertise_rating             -100
ep_haste_rating                 100
ep_mastery_rating               100
ep_spellpower                   115
ep_dps                          57
ep_mana                         1200
ep_spirit                       100
ep_mp5                          100
ep_intellect                    100
ep_agility                      100
ep_strength                     100

mh_auto_attack                  1
oh_auto_attack                  1
use_bloodlust                   1
always_bloodlust_wolves         0
cast_lvb_only_if_fs_active      1
cast_fs_only_if_dots_left       1
cast_magma_only_if_ticks_left   1
cast_searing_only_if_ticks_left 1
cast_sr_only_if_mana_left       0
use_mana_potion_if_mana_left    1000
necrotic_touch                  0
necrotic_touch_heroic           0

gloves_enchant                  -
cloak_enchant                   -
ring_proc                       -
weapon_set_proc                 -

rotation_priority_count         8
rotation_priority1              ST
rotation_priority2              LL
rotation_priority3              FS_UEF
rotation_priority4              MW5_LB
rotation_priority5              UE
rotation_priority6              SS
rotation_priority7              ES
rotation_priority8              SW

aoe_rotation_priority_count     0

fight_name                      standard_single_target
miss                            8.00
dodge                           6.50
glancing                        24.00
armor                           11977
spell_miss                      17.00
nature_resistance               0
fire_resistance                 0
frost_resistance                0
arcane_resistance               0
shadow_resistance               0

additional_targets              0
additional_target_percent       0.00
additional_target_level         85

armor_debuff                    12.0/12.0
physical_vulnerability_debuff   4.0/4.0
melee_haste_buff                10.0/10.0
crit_chance_buff                5.0/5.0
attack_power_buff_multiplier    10.0/10.0
spell_haste_buff                5.0/5.0
spell_crit_chance_debuff        5.0/5.0
spell_damage_debuff             8.0/8.0
spellpower_buff                 10.0/10.0
percentage_damage_increase      3.0/3.0
stat_multiplier                 5.0/5.0
agi_and_strength_buff           549/549
mana_buff                       2126/2126
mana_regen_buff                 326/326

replenishment                   1
water_shield                    0
mixology                        1

flask_elixir                    flask_of_the_winds
guardian_elixir                 -
potion                          potion_of_the_tolvir
food                            skewered_eel

###############################################################################
### Everything in the section below can be replaced by information obtained ###
### from your paper doll stats or exported by the ShockAndAwe addon         ###

race                            tauren
mh_speed                        2.3
oh_speed                        2.6
mh_dps                          72.4
oh_dps                          521.73
mh_crit                         24.49
oh_crit                         24.49
mh_hit                          20.52
oh_hit                          20.52
mh_expertise_rating             541
oh_expertise_rating             541
ap                              10489
melee_haste                     3.98
str                             156
agi                             4525
int                             320
spi                             244
mastery_rating                  1963
spellpower                      7761
spell_crit                      10.33
spell_hit                       17.86
spell_haste                     3.98
max_mana                        27950
mp5                             0

mh_imbue                        flametongue
oh_imbue                        flametongue

mh_enchant                      landslide
oh_enchant                      landslide

mh_weapon                       mace
oh_weapon                       axe

trinket1                        darkmoon_card_hurricane
trinket2                        fluid_death

set_bonus1                      t11_battlegear_4
set_bonus2                      -
set_bonus3                      -

metagem                         relentless_earthstorm_diamond

glyph_prime1                    stormstrike
glyph_prime2                    flametongue_weapon
glyph_prime3                    lava_lash

glyph_major1                    -
glyph_major2                    -
glyph_major3                    -

armor_type_bonus                1

primary_talent                  enhancement
elemental_weapons               2/2
focused_strikes                 3/3
improved_shields                0/3
elemental_devastation           3/3
flurry                          3/3
static_shock                    3/3
improved_fire_nova              2/2
searing_flames                  3/3
frozen_power                    0/2
shamanistic_rage                1/1
unleashed_rage                  2/2
improved_lava_lash              2/2
maelstrom_weapon                3/3

convection                      0/2
concussion                      3/3
call_of_flame                   2/2
reverberation                   2/2
elemental_precision             0/3
elemental_focus                 0/1
elemental_oath                  0/2
lava_flows                      0/3
storm_earth_and_fire            0/3
elemental_mastery               0/1
feedback                        0/3
lava_surge                      0/2

#14 Ashunera

Ashunera

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

Edit - DPS report and config files have been updated, should be much more accurate for the listed set of gear. I had made a few errors as you pointed out.

Copying everything over manually from Chardev to EnhSim is a time consuming process, so config files of superior setups will save a lot of time in getting this list updated. As Cochice said, however, Shamanistic Rage will be viewed as a required talent point and will not be changed. The rest of the talent setup I will be much more flexible about.

#15 Vespasian

Vespasian

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

We are now in new territory; a defensive cool down is a requirement for a max DPS thread but Ancestral Spirit (one of the largest DPS gain talents available to us under certain conditions) is optional. This is exactly why I said we should focus only on the data objective (finding max DPS according to enhsim) and leave the utility to asterisk marks and discussions.

On SR, Coch, I think it’s a crap talent because there is no boss ability that is designed to one shot me unless I make a mistake, so I never NEED 30% reduction of dmg taken. If I did, everyone would need it and every spec would have an ability like this. They don’t. Further, since I am able to instantly heal myself more often than not, I would rather use a heal from time to time than suffer what I believe to be a badly designed talent point permanently.

If you really want to get down to the math of it all, you would have to model the DPS gained on every encounter by ½ imp shields (or whatever) x the number of encounters over the life of your character, then measure that against the DPS done for every second after SR saves your life (and I mean exactly that- times where had you not used that talent, you would have certainly died). I have been using that talent since it was made available (in whatever variety) and I can tell you that is has not saved my life that many times. Sure it’s saved my healers some mana, but rarely has it saved my life since I generally do what I am supposed to do.

My job is to do dmg. My healers and I (enh are perfectly capable of healing to acceptable levels during all the mechanics you have listed) have healed me through many of the mechanics you have listed and bosses have died as a result (surprisingly, I expect more to die in future). Further, SR’s value reduces to almost nothing the more your farm gear/become more experienced during encounters. TLDR; you don’t need SR. Neither does this thread. If people want to take it, let them. If they don’t, don’t call them stupid.

#16 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

I can fall on either side of this debate.

On one hand EJ and this thread has a responsibility to teach people how to play and putting up a spec in the BiS thread that skips SR and Imp Fire Nova for say 3/3 Imp Shields may be a dps increase but it also feels irresponsible. People raiding the heroic modes don't need the prompting about how to spec but that guy just doing heroics and about to enter raiding does and speccing like that is more likely to cause them to perform poorly.

On the other hand it is a thread about maximum single target performance and spec certainly plays a role there.

In the end it's Ashunera's thread and I think the best thing would be to pick a spec and have that be that. Easy enough to get the moderators to shit heap any post showing a config without that specific spec. Probably should do the same thing regarding the priority list. Conversation regarding spec and priority list can always take place in Cochice's thread and Ashunera can always periodically update the initial post if a certain spec or priority list ends up showing prominence. There certainly is enough going on with just all the gear options, gem options, reforging options, enchanting options to give the thread relevance. Leave the spec and priorities for another thread.

#17 Penetier

Penetier

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Using the exact same gear setup and parameters as the original poster I was able to obtain ~450 dps increase by changing talents slightly to; Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft.

DPS Report:

EnhSim version 2.3.0

................................................................................

MH:
miss                738938         6.48%
glancing            2739486        24.02%
hit                 3527839        30.93%
crit                4399265        38.57%
average ap          15676.67       

MH Flametongue:
hit                 8479636        75.66%
crit                2727249        24.34%
cooldown            1329502        10.61%
average sp          13702.39       

MH Storsmtrike:
hit                 1096650        58.65%
crit                773147         41.35%
average ap          15631.26       

hit                 834329         75.67%
crit                268304         24.33%
average sp          13714.55       

OH:
miss                653948         6.48%
glancing            2422823        24.01%
hit                 3122714        30.95%
crit                3890892        38.56%
average ap          15672.92       

OH Flametongue:
hit                 7333649        75.67%
crit                2358102        24.33%
cooldown            3262659        25.19%
average sp          13701.27       

OH Stormstrike:
hit                 1092763        58.44%
crit                777034         41.56%
average ap          15662.20       

hit                 835031         75.73%
crit                267602         24.27%
average sp          13714.55       

Earth Shock:
hit                 554170         40.69%
crit                807887         59.31%
average sp          13684.23       

Flame Shock:
hit                 717967         75.68%
crit                230756         24.32%
average sp          13719.91       
dots hit            4424575        75.66%
dots crit           1423319        24.34%
average dot sp      13751.33       

Lava Lash:
hit                 964868         58.54%
crit                683316         41.46%
average ap          15641.84       

Lightning Bolt:
hit                 584222         31.12%
crit                1293223        68.88%
average sp          13715.77       

Lightning Shield:
hit                 989426         40.82%
crit                1434399        59.18%
average sp          13710.41       

Spirit Wolves:
glancing            1708956        23.98%
hit                 5202952        73.02%
crit                213754         3.00%
average ap          15985.71       

Searing Totem:
hit                 8119774        75.65%
crit                2613915        24.35%
average sp          13689.42       

Searing Flames:
hit                 3581691        75.65%
crit                1152918        24.35%
average sp          13679.28       

Trinket1 Damage:
hit                 788690         75.73%
crit                252731         24.27%

Maelstrom Weapon:
PPM                 34.73
efficiency          90.11%

flurry uptime                  78.32%
elemental devastation uptime   93.42%
UW Flametongue uptime          22.55%

mh enchant uptime              27.42%
oh enchant uptime              31.34%
stormstrike debuff uptime      98.96%
flame shock uptime             87.13%
searing totem uptime           99.76%
searing flame uptime           92.30%

MRPS without overregen
mana regen          0.11      0.04%
mp5                 26.46     10.98%
replenishment       29.53     12.26%
primal wisdom       184.79    76.71%

white               2847.24   11.22%    71.65
flametongue         4212.25   16.59%    69.66
searing flames      1033.66   4.07%     15.78
stormstrike         1106.97   4.36%     6.23      48.68     22.50%
lava lash           3501.84   13.79%    5.49      21.45     9.91%
searing totem       3260.35   12.84%    1.09      7.47      3.45%
earth shock         1092.52   4.3%      4.54      79.78     36.87%
flame shock         1746.98   6.88%     3.16      52.48     24.26%
  direct damage     472.48    27.05%    3.16
  dot tick          1274.50   72.95%    19.49
lightning bolt      2660.79   10.48%    6.26      0.00      0.00%
lightning shield    1340.18   5.28%     0.14      0.00      0.00%
spirit wolves       404.80    1.59%     0.56      6.51      3.01%
unleashed elements  1632.23   6.43%     3.68      25.12     11.61%
  MH Flametongue    816.23    50.01%    3.68
  OH Flametongue    816.00    49.99%    3.68
Trinket1            547.74    2.16%     3.47

DPS                 25387.55
MPS                 216.38
MP2min              25965.35
MRPS                814.11

elapsed real time: 15.33s
simulation speed: 1174321x

EnhSim Config:

additional_target_percent       0.0

improved_shields                2/3
improved_fire_nova              0/2

concussion                      2/3
reverberation                   0/2
elemental_precision             3/3

Granted I don't play a shaman at all let alone an enhancement shaman so have no bearing on how needed/useful/situational Ancestral Swiftness is.
However taking both points from it and placing them into 3/3 Improved Shields and 1/2 Improved Fire Nova also results in a further ~100dps increase. Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

DPS Report:

EnhSim version 2.3.0

MH:
miss                738094         6.47%
glancing            2737736        24.00%
hit                 3528687        30.94%
crit                4400829        38.59%
average ap          15675.42       

MH Flametongue:
hit                 8479720        75.67%
crit                2726989        24.33%
cooldown            1330600        10.61%
average sp          13701.67       

MH Storsmtrike:
hit                 1095457        58.58%
crit                774600         41.42%
average ap          15629.42       

hit                 834120         75.66%
crit                268293         24.34%
average sp          13714.04       

OH:
miss                653666         6.48%
glancing            2423047        24.01%
hit                 3122759        30.95%
crit                3890747        38.56%
average ap          15671.66       

OH Flametongue:
hit                 7340114        75.73%
crit                2352954        24.27%
cooldown            3261522        25.18%
average sp          13700.57       

OH Stormstrike:
hit                 1094252        58.51%
crit                775805         41.49%
average ap          15660.53       

hit                 834446         75.69%
crit                267967         24.31%
average sp          13714.04       

Earth Shock:
hit                 553748         40.64%
crit                808860         59.36%
average sp          13682.97       

Flame Shock:
hit                 718307         75.73%
crit                230174         24.27%
average sp          13720.15       
dots hit            4424578        75.67%
dots crit           1422979        24.33%
average dot sp      13751.69       

Lava Lash:
hit                 964546         58.53%
crit                683434         41.47%
average ap          15640.39       

Lightning Bolt:
hit                 583975         31.10%
crit                1293735        68.90%
average sp          13715.79       

Lightning Shield:
hit                 988655         40.76%
crit                1436970        59.24%
average sp          13709.30       

Spirit Wolves:
glancing            1710784        24.00%
hit                 5203104        73.00%
crit                213640         3.00%
average ap          15983.58       

Searing Totem:
hit                 8124925        75.69%
crit                2609024        24.31%
average sp          13688.75       

Searing Flames:
hit                 3582668        75.70%
crit                1150000        24.30%
average sp          13678.58       

Trinket1 Damage:
hit                 787389         75.66%
crit                253337         24.34%

Maelstrom Weapon:
PPM                 34.74
efficiency          90.10%

flurry uptime                  78.33%
elemental devastation uptime   93.43%
UW Flametongue uptime          22.55%

mh enchant uptime              27.41%
oh enchant uptime              31.25%
stormstrike debuff uptime      98.96%
flame shock uptime             87.12%
searing totem uptime           99.76%
searing flame uptime           92.30%

MRPS without overregen
mana regen          0.11      0.04%
mp5                 26.47     10.99%
replenishment       29.54     12.26%
primal wisdom       184.80    76.71%

white               2847.41   11.19%    71.65
flametongue         4211.68   16.55%    69.67
searing flames      1032.94   4.06%     15.78
stormstrike         1107.08   4.35%     6.23      48.68     22.50%
lava lash           3501.60   13.76%    5.49      21.45     9.91%
searing totem       3259.56   12.81%    1.09      7.47      3.45%
earth shock         1093.09   4.3%      4.54      79.81     36.88%
flame shock         1746.67   6.86%     3.16      52.47     24.25%
  direct damage     472.24    27.04%    3.16
  dot tick          1274.43   72.96%    19.49
lightning bolt      2661.37   10.46%    6.26      0.00      0.00%
lightning shield    1402.39   5.51%     0.14      0.00      0.00%
spirit wolves       404.85    1.59%     0.56      6.51      3.01%
unleashed elements  1632.02   6.41%     3.67      25.11     11.60%
  MH Flametongue    816.07    50%       3.67
  OH Flametongue    815.95    50%       3.67
Trinket1            547.56    2.15%     3.47

DPS                 25448.23
MPS                 216.40
MP2min              25968.42
MRPS                814.08

elapsed real time: 15.25s
simulation speed: 1180327x

EnhSim Config:

additional_target_percent       0.0

improved_shields                3/3
improved_fire_nova              1/2

EDIT: It should also be noted chardev is not activating the meta even though it should be with the gem setup nor will it activate with any gem setup I've attempted to try.
As such agility shown on chardev is incorrectly displayed as 4525(4235 from gear, 4446 with mail spec). It should show 4547(4256 from gear, 4468 with mail spec). Therefore attack power is also being incorrectly displayed.

4446/1.05 = 4234.29; 4235*1.05 = 4446.8; 4235 agi from gear. As displayed on chardev.
4235+21 = 4256; 4256*1.05 = 4468.8; 4256 agi from gear. Factoring in meta gem.

This is as far as I could go not knowing exactly how attack power is meant to be calculated. Chardev is definitely doing it wrong though it is also including the 10% from unleashed rage.
This is making EnhSim double dip as 10% AP is checked in all the above config files.

Yet another edit:

Chardev is calculating attack power as the following;
AP=Int/2 + Str-10 + Agi*2 - 10

Using OPs chardev setup with 0/2 unleashed rage.
AP=320/2 + 156-10 + 4525*2 - 10
AP=160 + 146 + 9050 - 10
AP=9346

With 2/2 unleashed rage attack power is displayed as 10280.
9346*1.1 = 10280.6

#18 sirtyface

sirtyface

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Profile: chardev 8

~26388 DPS

[TABLE]Slot|Item|Gem 1|Gem 2|Gem 3|Reforge|Enchant
Head||||-|-|
Neck||-|-|-|Haste -> Expertise|-
Shoulder|||-|-|Hit -> Expertise|
Back||-|-|-|Crit -> Expertise|
Chest||||-|Haste -> Hit|
Wrist||-|-|-|Crit -> Mastery|
Hands|||-|-|Crit -> Mastery|
Waist| of the Windstorm|||-|Crit -> Hit|
Legs|||||Crit -> Hit|
Feet|||-|-|Haste -> Mastery|
Ring 1||-|-|-|Hit -> Mastery|Enchant Ring - Agility
Ring 2| of the Windstorm|-|-|-|Crit -> Expertise|Enchant Ring - Agility
Trinket 1||-|-|-|-|-
Trinket 2||-|-|-|Hit -> Mastery|-
Main Hand||-|-|-|Spirit -> Hit|
Off Hand||-|-|-|-|
Relic|||-|-|Haste -> Hit|-[/TABLE]

Spec: 10/31/0

[TABLE]Glyphs:
Lava Lash
Stormstrike
Flametongue Weapon
[/TABLE]

Priority:
  • ST
  • LL
  • FS_UEF
  • MW5_LB
  • MW4_LB
  • UE
  • SS
  • SW
  • MW3_LB
  • LvB_UEF
  • ES
  • LvB
  • MW2_LB

Output:
EnhSim version 2.3.0

MH:
miss                679306         7.23%
dodge               235801         2.51%
glancing            2254020        24.00%
hit                 2249783        23.96%
crit                3971172        42.29%
average ap          16208.95       
clip                1054288        10.09%

MH Flametongue:
hit                 6755521        73.22%
crit                2470328        26.78%
cooldown            1022100        9.97%
average sp          13995.50       

MH Storsmtrike:
dodge               45503          2.50%
hit                 972804         53.50%
crit                800170         44.00%
average ap          16174.85       

hit                 806744         73.31%
crit                293768         26.69%
average sp          14003.35       

OH:
miss                593239         7.22%
dodge               206272         2.51%
glancing            1972852        24.01%
hit                 1966195        23.93%
crit                3477660        42.33%
average ap          16214.79       
clip                948236         10.35%

OH Flametongue:
hit                 5844813        73.23%
crit                2136526        26.77%
cooldown            2753413        25.65%
average sp          13999.08       

OH Stormstrike:
dodge               44247          2.50%
hit                 944580         53.28%
crit                784147         44.23%
average ap          16207.87       

hit                 806491         73.28%
crit                294021         26.72%
average sp          14003.35       

Earth Shock:
hit                 460993         38.25%
crit                744087         61.75%
average sp          13981.19       

Flame Shock:
hit                 710987         73.21%
crit                260211         26.79%
average sp          14008.31       
dots hit            4337284        73.21%
dots crit           1587285        26.79%
average dot sp      14040.82       

Lava Burst:
hit                 1984           0.32%
crit                624586         99.68%
average sp          13984.67       

Lava Lash:
dodge               41128          2.52%
hit                 871414         53.45%
crit                717904         44.03%
average ap          16172.67       

Lightning Bolt:
hit                 715801         28.58%
crit                1788444        71.42%
average sp          14006.82       

Lightning Shield:
hit                 873737         38.15%
crit                1416599        61.85%
average sp          14009.28       

Spirit Wolves:
dodge               179446         2.51%
glancing            1714910        24.01%
hit                 5034940        70.49%
crit                213888         2.99%
average ap          16530.69       

Searing Totem:
hit                 7853540        73.20%
crit                2875240        26.80%
average sp          13983.62       

Searing Flames:
hit                 3468513        73.17%
crit                1272046        26.83%
average sp          13973.44       

Maelstrom Weapon:
PPM                 28.60
efficiency          98.09%

flurry uptime                  82.71%
elemental devastation uptime   97.49%
UW Flametongue uptime          19.42%

mh enchant uptime              23.05%
oh enchant uptime              26.65%
stormstrike debuff uptime      98.94%
flame shock uptime             89.02%
searing totem uptime           99.78%
searing flame uptime           92.47%

trinket2 uptime                    17.14%

MRPS without overregen
mana regen          0.00      0.00%
mp5                 146.12    38.79%
replenishment       31.55     8.38%
primal wisdom       199.03    52.83%

white               2365.60   8.96%     58.69
flametongue         3685.11   13.96%    57.36
searing flames      1113.23   4.22%     15.80
stormstrike         1077.78   4.08%     6.06      47.34     13.43%
lava lash           3617.39   13.71%    5.43      21.22     6.02%
searing totem       3456.79   13.1%     1.09      7.47      2.12%
earth shock         1010.76   3.83%     4.02      70.59     20.02%
flame shock         1879.30   7.12%     3.24      53.73     15.24%
  direct damage     511.69    27.23%    3.24
  dot tick          1367.61   72.77%    19.75
lava burst          1024.87   3.88%     2.09      145.69    41.32%
lightning bolt      3707.08   14.05%    8.35      0.00      0.00%
lightning shield    1327.12   5.03%     0.14      0.00      0.00%
spirit wolves       400.54    1.52%     0.56      6.53      1.85%
unleashed elements  1723.03   6.53%     3.67      25.07     7.11%
  MH Flametongue    861.47    50%       3.67
  OH Flametongue    861.56    50%       3.67

DPS                 26388.61
MPS                 352.56
MP2min              42307.61
MRPS                923.55

elapsed real time: 29.13s
simulation speed: 617919x

Config:
### Saved by v2.3.0 of EnhSimGUI

rotation_priority_count         13
rotation_priority5              MW4_LB
rotation_priority6              UE
rotation_priority7              SS
rotation_priority9              MW3_LB
rotation_priority10             LVB_UEF
rotation_priority11             ES
rotation_priority12             LVB
rotation_priority13             MW2_LB

additional_target_percent       0.00

### Everything in the section below can be replaced by information obtained ###
### from your paper doll stats or exported by the ShockAndAwe addon         ###

oh_dps                          521.8
mh_crit                         25.74
oh_crit                         25.74
mh_hit                          19.78
oh_hit                          19.78
mh_expertise_rating             239
oh_expertise_rating             239
ap                              11092
melee_haste                     3.21
agi                             4799
mastery_rating                  2366
spellpower                      8063
spell_crit                      10.74
spell_hit                       16.99
spell_haste                     3.21
mp5                             1171

trinket1                        fluid_death
trinket2                        essence_of_the_cyclone_heroic

metagem                         -

improved_shields                2/3
improved_fire_nova              0/2

Using this setup with the OP's priority, I come out with ~25813.

#19 Ryethe

Ryethe

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

It's worth noting that the 372 version of Maimgor's Bite does not drop despite being in the data files. None of 372 versions of trash epics drop currently.

#20 Cochice

Cochice

dorf

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

On SR, Coch, I think it’s a crap talent because there is no boss ability that is designed to one shot me unless I make a mistake, so I never NEED 30% reduction of dmg taken. If I did, everyone would need it and every spec would have an ability like this. They don’t.

I can say from personal experience that those classes/specs without a damage reducing cooldown (or those that have damage reduction on a very long coodlown) do, in fact, need special attention from healers so as not to die.

Further, since I am able to instantly heal myself more often than not, I would rather use a heal from time to time than suffer what I believe to be a badly designed talent point permanently.

I'm having a hard time following your logic here. You are advocating not spending one point in an absolutely amazing damage reduction cooldown in the name of maximizing dps, yet are willing to use your Maelstrom procs on heals. Now don't get me wrong, I heal quite a bit in raid settings - having an extra healing rain down is great for high damage phases, but I don't understand your priorities.

If people want to take it, let them. If they don’t, don’t call them stupid.

I never called you, or anyone else, stupid. Anyone should feel free to bypass SR for an extra point in imp shields. However I do think that advocating that behavior in a thread on EJ will only have negative affects on the community. Enhancement was viewed as squishy for long enough, there's no reason to extend that image further by publicly supporting a spec choice like this.

After this point, I will refrain from discussing SR publicly. I'd be happy to discuss it privately with anyone though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users