Split off from Korner's thread to avoid polluting it with bug reports that don't apply to his tool.
This is a reforging calculator that calculates the correct reforgings to achieve optimal EP. It's (loosely) based on Korner's tool, but since it's written in Java rather than Perl and has several optimizations, it's quite a bit faster (20 times or more in most cases).
Reasons to use my version:
- It's even faster than Korner's C version!
- You like the convenience of a web-based tool.
Reasons to use Korner's version:
- It's been around longer and has fewer bugs
- It has more options like customizable EP coefficients and caps
- It works (manually) with random enchant items, which my tool doesn't handle at all
You can get Korner's original version from his thread:
If you want to try my version, there are three versions: the applet version (which runs on a web page), the runnable JAR version (if you know how to run Java JARs) and the source code version (if you are a programmer and want to modify/examine my tool).
Most people should use the applet version.
The applet version of my program needs permission to access Armory and Wowhead. You'll see a big scary security warning when you load the page. If you don't trust me (and why should you?) you are welcome to download the source code and review it yourself. Alternatively you could run it in a VM or a machine that you don't do anything important on. I don't have to tell you how common keyloggers are. I can assure you that there is nothing malicious about my program, but of course someone trying to hack your account would say the same thing.
Typical solution times for my Java version are instant to a few seconds, depending on your hardware and how HotSpot is feeling.
If you don't have Java, download it from java.com
Applet version (recommended for most people):
Runnable JAR version (faster than the Applet if you're familiar with Java):
As of 1.4, the source code is released under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
- Disable multi-threading. There was a weird race condition that would sometimes give bogus results. The single-threaded version is negligibly slower and doesn't have the problem.
- Fix another combat calculation bug.
- Fix a performance bug - now up to 10x faster than 1.6, 100x faster than 1.5 and 50x faster than Korner's C version!
- Rewrote calculation code - up to 50x faster than 1.5 and even faster than Korner's C version!
- Fix combat reforging formula.
- Print list of non-reforged items.
- Handle non-English character profiles
- Correct EP values for Combat rogues
- Auto-convert simple character URLs to advanced character URLs
- Add license information to source files
- Improved detection of random enchant items that will not result in false positives.
- Print an error when encountering items with random enchants rather than give bad results
- Print an error message if you don't enter the advanced armory URL rather than give bad results
- Correctly calculate gem/enchant bonuses rather than using Armory's (bad) values. Stats should now match in-game values.
- Fix an EP calculation bug
- Add better error messages
- Add version info