• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 revulva

revulva

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

Team Robot's gear optimization website is now live!
Mr. Robot - Gear Finder - World of Warcraft

Team Robot's gear optimization android and iphone mobile apps are now live!
Android
iPhone
If you have any issues with the mobile apps, please report them to us on our forums or via the feedback email provided with the app and we will fix them immediately!

The change log can always be found here:
Change Log

There are two main use cases for the site.
1.) Load your character from the armory. You can then optimize the gems, enchants, and reforges.
2.) Find the best set of gear for a spec.

All of this is based on stat weights for each spec. You can view a list of our default stat weight sources here:
Where did Mr. Robot get his default Stat Weights?

The default stat weights used on the site have been researched thoroughly, but we expect to update them as often as necessary based on user feedback and our own continued testing. Please let us know if you have any concerns. The stat weights are also fully editable so you can use any values that you want if you don't prefer our defaults.

Features:
- Armory Loading
- All classes and specs supported
- Stat Weights take into account all applicable soft caps, hard caps, and diminishing returns. Click on the "Stat Weight Editor" tab for more information.
- Drop locations for all item level 346+ gear is shown.
- Links - A link is built as you modify options on the site so you can always link back to exactly what you were doing, or post it for others. There is also a "Link to this page" feature with options to allow you to customize the link.
- Side-by-side comparison of your gear in the armory, optimized gear, and best in slot gear.
- Total EP Values calculated on the fly.
- Ranked list of items available for each item slot.
- Item sets can be customized - open the item list for any item and choose a new item to force Mr. Robot to use that item. The optimizer will then optimize around that item. This is especially useful for trinkets, which are sometimes difficult to estimate with EP values.
- Filters - Many filters available to choose gear level and exclude particularly rare or expensive items.
- Ability to choose any race and profession combination. The optimizer will optimize around those options.
- For healers - a Spirit "hard cap" can be entered to limit your gear optimization to a particular level of spirit that you find useful. In the Stat Weight Editor enter in the total amount of spirit you want raid buffed as the hard cap.
- Works on most browsers, and also on the iPad. iPad has a couple graphical glitches but it still works well.

Feedback is welcome! This is not a beta version, but, we are human so there may be a couple small bugs. Please report those to us and we will fix them promptly.

The fine print:
Mr. Robot's gear lists and gem/enchant/reforge lists are what we are going to call "near-optimal". The problem of solving for THE optimal solution is an np-complete problem. Some of you know what that means. For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept: it means that it takes forever. If you go over to the Rogue forums you will see that Korner wrote a script that will calculate the actual optimal reforges for rogues, given a set of stat weights. He has optimized it multiple times and it takes anywhere from 10 minutes to hours to run, depending on the options you give it. And that is for JUST REFORGES! That wouldn't make a very usable website. So, we have developed an approximate method. The optimization runs in less than a second. Any load time on the site is going back and forth to the armory to get information.

So the big question: How good is the approximation?
We think that the approximation is within 0.5% of THE optimal solution in terms of total DPS output. This is based on comparisons we have made to BiS setup discussions on this forum and others. Of course this is all dependent on the accuracy of the simulators and formulators in use. And it is highly dependent on the stat weights in use. This is why we have made the stat weights editable on the site - you can tweak the weights for your particular gear or preferences. We have also spent a lot of time tweaking the default stat weights to agree with results from the simulation and formulation tools available.
Team Robot developer.
Follow Mr. Robot on Twitter or Facebook for updates, feature releases, bug fixes.
Mr. Robot is now available on your Android and iPhone

#2 LucidityAxel

LucidityAxel

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

I got this error attempting to load Gajj@Tichondrius:

javascript error: TypeError: Property 'scrollTo' of object [object DOMWindow] is not a function

This is with a fairly vanilla installation of Google Chrome 8.0.552.237 on Windows XP.

#3 Pyrates

Pyrates

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

Looks nice, although it did indeed not really find the optimal solution for me (was easy to spot in this case). Suggestions: Let people input the caps as ratings, that's what one knows. Also, some kind of "before-after" comparison would be nice, maybe just a diff, maybe the full stats.

#4 Starfox

Starfox

King Hippo

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Balance Druid has no cap on Spirit, only on hit (in fact it should cap spirit+hit as a sum), but the weightings look good (not just copied useless wowhead weightings), nice
Hello.
Light the fuse.
For all my homies.
Do not run, we are your friends.
SimulationCraft Druid Guy

#5 revulva

revulva

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

Looks nice, although it did indeed not really find the optimal solution for me (was easy to spot in this case). Suggestions: Let people input the caps as ratings, that's what one knows. Also, some kind of "before-after" comparison would be nice, maybe just a diff, maybe the full stats.

There is a "more stats" link next to the total EP value that gives you a before/after comparison.

Can you give me the exact example you used where it was obvious the solution was not optimal? We have been making tweaks to our algorithm. The more detailed feedback we get, the better we can make it.
Team Robot developer.
Follow Mr. Robot on Twitter or Facebook for updates, feature releases, bug fixes.

#6 Eva

Eva

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Not sure how and if this affects your project, however reforged loot from TotFW is currently calculated wrong ingame and in the armory. More specific, you gain your new stat but you don't loose the stat you reforged away.

As an example you can check out my armory (1030 hit according to the armory vs. the actual 973 from gear. The difference of 57 can be accounted to the hit I reforged away on the 2nd ring, but is still counted towards my total hit).

#7 revulva

revulva

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Balance Druid has no cap on Spirit, only on hit (in fact it should cap spirit+hit as a sum), but the weightings look good (not just copied useless wowhead weightings), nice

It treats spirit/hit as identical stats for moonkin, elemental, spriest. We can probably update the display to make that more obvious. It will always favor spirit over hit, though - just because spirit at least does a little something for your out of combat regen.
Team Robot developer.

#8 revulva

revulva

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

I got this error attempting to load Gajj@Tichondrius:

This is with a fairly vanilla installation of Google Chrome 8.0.552.237 on Windows XP.

We will look into this error... I just loaded up your character on the site using Chrome, and it worked for me. So, there must be something else going on. We tested the site largely in Chrome, so I would expect it to run best in that browser.
Team Robot developer.

#9 Pyrates

Pyrates

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Actually, I can't find the incorrectness I was complaining about, so let's assume I made a mistake while I was toying around. I'm unclear on the inclusion of raidbuffs though, could you elaborate at which point which buffs are included? Also I'd like to reemphasize the importance of ratings, in particular with respect to caps. Capping e.g. Haste at integeger percentage values doesn't really do it. The "More stats" popup could also do with rating info :)

#10 revulva

revulva

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

The site does all its optimization assuming you have raid buffs. The stats that show in the window include those buffs.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the combat ratings vs. % values?

Saying you need 1742 spell hit rating or 17% spell hit is the same exact thing. Saying 5% haste is the same as saying 641 haste rating.

Are you asking for us to show what rating you need on gear to reach the % values listed?

We wanted to make the site simple, so we take care of all the talents and buffs in the background. If you have a haste soft cap at 12.5%, you just say that. The site takes care of calculating how much rating you need on gear to achieve that, and then optimizes accordingly. When content patches are released, we'll just update all that talent and buff information in the background so folks don't have to worry about it.
Team Robot developer.

#11 Pyrates

Pyrates

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

The site does all its optimization assuming you have raid buffs. The stats that show in the window include those buffs.

So if I give Haste a cap of 0.1, what do I end up with raidbuffed (assumind the cap can be reached with optimization)? 10%? 15,5%? Even 18,965% (that includes dark intent, so probably not)? I'm unclear what I should put into the haste cap box, but I do know that I want 1586 Hasterating on my gear (which is 12.3785% haste), and I do get 5% and 3% from raidbuffs.

Are you asking for us to show what rating you need on gear to reach the % values listed?

For one I'd like to input a rating cap, not a total cap (which is the same indeed, as you say, but my point is that I think this would be easier for most people, also the above). Then in the "More stats" popup, it e.g says "Before optimization: 12,9%" and "After optimization" 12.3%", where I would like to see the gear on ratings. It's nontrivial for crit, which is provided by critrating and Int.

My point is, people have grown accustomed to think in terms of "stats on gear" rather than the corresponding values. For example, I'd need to get out a calculator to compare 1% crit and 1% mastery for me, but I don't have any trouble comparing 1 critrating vs 1 masteryrating.

#12 dakalro

dakalro

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

% haste buffs are multiplicative at the moment. For example Dark Intent (3% haste) is ~450 haste rating at this gear point. Varies slightly depending on the amount of haste rating you have from equipment. So is Improved Soul Fire (till 4.0.6), Moonkin/Shadow Priest 5% haste.

Useless for 4.0.6 but not taking into account Improved Soulfire for destruction warlock. 15% haste.

#13 revulva

revulva

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Pyrates: I see what you are saying. People have gotten used to knowing the rating they need on their gear, since other people have already done the calculations. To answer your question about what it does if you type in a cap of 0.1 for haste: It will cap your raid-buffed haste at 10%.

Dakalro: Looks like you are right that imp. soul fire isn't being calculated for destruction warlocks.
Team Robot developer.

#14 Pyrates

Pyrates

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for your answer. Here's a non-working example:

Mr. Robot - Character Profile - World of Warcraft

Hope I got the link right. The stats are lower after "optimizing".

#15 pRo-Micha

pRo-Micha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

Is the site down? I just connected to it and now get errors that it cannot be found.

#16 revulva

revulva

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

It was down for a second - the instance restarted for some reason. It is back up now. We're going to look at putting up two instances of the site to keep this from happening. For the time being, it will never be down for more than a minute or two. It is possible some small bug caused it to restart - we're trying to figure it out.
Team Robot developer.

#17 pRo-Micha

pRo-Micha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

Oh no worries about that. Was just funny coincidence. ;)

#18 revulva

revulva

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for your answer. Here's a non-working example:

Mr. Robot - Character Profile - World of Warcraft

Hope I got the link right. The stats are lower after "optimizing".

I see why it optimizes to "lower" stats in this case. For any class without a run speed talent, we are considering lavawalker and assassin's step as optimal. So, you go from 50 haste to 35 mastery on your boots. Based on your stat weights, it swaps out the int/mastery gems for int/haste, so you end up with a total of -10 haste rating, -5 mastery rating... but you run faster!
Team Robot developer.

#19 Daenerys

Daenerys

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

Looks pretty cool. I found the weightings to be pretty fair for my Arms Warrior.

The only addition I would LOVE to see is an option for PvP optimizing, or at least an option to change the hit/exp caps.

Thanks for all the hard work!

#20 Pyrates

Pyrates

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I see why it optimizes to "lower" stats in this case. For any class without a run speed talent, we are considering lavawalker and assassin's step as optimal. So, you go from 50 haste to 35 mastery on your boots. Based on your stat weights, it swaps out the int/mastery gems for int/haste, so you end up with a total of -10 haste rating, -5 mastery rating... but you run faster!

Ah ok, I see. You might want to make enforcing that an option, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users