• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

I'll try to change the port to a lower one in an upcoming release to see if that fixes up your issues in using it from work guys. I'll let you know when I have!

#22 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

1) I couldn't find any of these 2 items:
Corla's Baton - Game - World of Warcraft
Mantle of Master Cho - Game - World of Warcraft

I can find them just fine. Did you flag the Heroic checkbox before looking them up?

EDIT: in the current implementation, in some cases selecting the heroic checkbox has the semantic of "also show heroic items, in addition to normal ones (for example, check heroic, and select CLOTH EPIC BRACERS)".
But it doesn't work like that if you lookup by item name (for example, looking up Mantle of Master Cho with the heroic flag checked returns just the heroic version of it, instead of both the normal and heroic ones).
I'll align the behaviour in 1.4, thanks for pointing it out.

#23 jeffason

jeffason

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

what combination traversal algorithm do you use for solving the best gearset? seemed a little slow but other than that it's a good app!

#24 Lord Loom

Lord Loom

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

Enchantments and belt buckles don't change anything because you will put those either way. If you load two pair of shoes, which one is better will not change due to enchanting, since you will enchant both.

In general I agree, the only thing I could see being a problem is 2h vs. mh+oh comparisons for casters, since one-hand item combinations come with the same weapon enchant as well as the 100 (soon 40) intellect to off-hand enchants. I don't know if your tool accounts for that, but right now it doesn't seem to (unless I remove it from available items, WGO insists that optimal selections for me include Cerith Spire Staff - Item - World of Warcraft despite of having one-hand weapons and off-hands of the same item level with and without hit available).
Everyone always coming to Zathras with problems. Great responsibilities. But Zathras does not mind. Zathras trained in crisis management.

#25 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

In general I agree, the only thing I could see being a problem is 2h vs. mh+oh comparisons for casters, since one-hand item combinations come with the same weapon enchant as well as the 100 (soon 40) intellect to off-hand enchants. I don't know if your tool accounts for that, but right now it doesn't seem to (unless I remove it from available items, WGO insists that optimal selections for me include Cerith Spire Staff - Item - World of Warcraft despite of having one-hand weapons and off-hands of the same item level with and without hit available).

True, that case is a bit problematic, sadly when I started there was no such offhand enchantment. I'll have to come up with a solution in one of the next updates. Can you tell me which main-hand and offhand you used for the test and your stat weights?

#26 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

Version 1.5 is almost ready, meanwhile I could use your help.
If you have a link to the armory of a char using any of the following gems, I'd greatly apreciate it if you could share it here.

Accurate Demonseye
Bracing Shadowspirit Diamond
Deft Ember Topaz
Keen Ember Topaz

#27 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

Version 1.5 is up and will be automatically downloaded if you had a previous one. As soon as the EU armory gets back online I'll add a new video to show the new features.

Edit: here it is WoW Gear Optimizer - v1.5.4 new features (HD)

#28 Sanctimony

Sanctimony

Piston Honda

• Guild Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:29 AM

Nice work on the optimizer. It's always heartening to see someone tackling NP-Complete for the sake of DPS.

I'm having a bit of trouble though: it doesn't seem to be respecting my hit cap, though the expertise cap is working fine. My character profile can be found here, and the generated setup here.

As another test I removed the expertise cap entirely, and the optimizer not only shot past the hit cap again, it actually decreased the resultant amount of expertise (and xPS as well.) Results here.

Also, as an ill-informed aside (I haven't touched Java in years), have you looked into running the optimization in a multi-threaded fashion? The optimizer's capping out one of my cores and leaving the rest feeling rather under-appreciated.

Thanks again for the work on the tool, and I'm looking forward to further development on it!

#29 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for helping me test out the melee part, I've only been able to test the caster part well because I don't have a melee myself.

One thing on the fly that I noticed though is that you have tanking boots that consequently don't get loaded in the optimizer, which could mess things around a bit...

I'll look into it more and let you know what I find.

About multithreading, I did make the parallel version of it, but it had 1 advantage, computing the results faster, but 2 disadvantages. Basically, fulling all cores to 100% meant that you had to wait till the optimization was over to use your pc again, while having just 1 core fully loaded you can still suft the web or even play wow. The second was a memory problem, what is currently a single resource would have to be cloned for various threads.

EDIT: I might have found the issue, I might pm you for some tests if you don't mind...
Lead developer of the definitive java-based Gear, Gem and Reforge Optimizer.

#30 Sanctimony

Sanctimony

Piston Honda

• Guild Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Sure, I'd be happy to help out with additional testing.

Heh, didn't even realize the optimizer was ignoring my boots. Regarding them, due to their high strength and mastery they're actually among the best boots for my spec until I get a proper raid drop (check it out here, clicking ... next to feet. Melee dps wearing tanking items is uncommon, but it is sometimes a good decision.

As for multithreading, what about running n-1 threads, leaving 1 core untouched for general use? Obviously wouldn't help for a 2-core system, but would nearly triple the speed for a 4-core system. Regarding memory use, I'm sad that there's no copy-on-write memory use paradigm for windows like there is for a linux fork, but since your program isn't a memory hog to begin with, I don't think it would strictly be necessary. I'm seeing a memory footprint of 87 megs for javaw.exe while the optimizer's doing its thing, so tripling (or even increasing sevenfold) memory consumption shouldn't have much of an impact on the type of computers that would have 4 or 8 cores to begin with.

Of course, backseat development is far easier than implementing the change myself, and from my limited experience I know how much of a pain in the ass multithreaded programs can be at times. :)

#31 Handled

Handled

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:57 AM

I was playing around with this tonight and learned a few things.

1. Tank gear won't show up maybe it's a block you have setup when looking up DPS gear. I'm sure it won't be like this forever but currently w/o heroic boots tank boots are pretty strong.

2. On the Armory looks up maybe because of the tank boots not sure but it can't pull my armory with preserver checked.
"They thought bosses just fell over the first night because of the tag over their head, and the most important thing was how much damage they could do at all times. Newsflash - it doesn't work like that."

#32 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

1. Tank gear won't show up maybe it's a block you have setup when looking up DPS gear. I'm sure it won't be like this forever but currently w/o heroic boots tank boots are pretty strong.

Not including tank gear or even cells to put weights for tank stats was a deliberate choise. I might be wrong, but I've never seen a reliable tool (like simulationcraft) to compute tank stat weights. Do they exist?

#33 Anduryondon

Anduryondon

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

Is there some option for Moonkins/Shadowpriests that spirit gets converted to hit rating? Because if I try to optimize my Moonkin I should reforge everything to spirit/hit, although I would be >300 rating above hit cap.

#34 Handled

Handled

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

Not including tank gear or even cells to put weights for tank stats was a deliberate choise. I might be wrong, but I've never seen a reliable tool (like simulationcraft) to compute tank stat weights. Do they exist?

I can definitely understand where you are coming from and I'll wait to use it until I have some boots that load properly. As far as I know Tank stat weights are much harder to compute properly but for DPS a tank item we just reforge the tank stat off as much as possible and the item is still a solid choice.
"They thought bosses just fell over the first night because of the tag over their head, and the most important thing was how much damage they could do at all times. Newsflash - it doesn't work like that."

#35 Nisall

Nisall

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

Does the Optimizer take cogwheels for engineering helms into account? When I get the result screen it will only show the meta in the helm, but neither of the cogwheels or the socket bonus.

#36 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

The spirit -> hit conversion isn't there yet, and I'm actually pretty up for suggestions on the best way to implement it. Consider that besides the extra if then else in the code, bumping up the number of cappable stats reduces the number of items that can be pruned beforehand.

Cogwheels aren't there yet, but I promise that as soon as I'm done fixing the broken things I'll take over the more niche aspects like cogwheels and offhand enchantment.

#37 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

I'm having a bit of trouble though: it doesn't seem to be respecting my hit cap, though the expertise cap is working fine. My character profile can be found here, and the generated setup here.

As another test I removed the expertise cap entirely, and the optimizer not only shot past the hit cap again, it actually decreased the resultant amount of expertise (and xPS as well.) Results here.

Can you check again if you still have that issue? If you don't I'll push v1.6 up.

#38 Sanctimony

Sanctimony

Piston Honda

• Guild Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Just ran it on the profile I uploaded earlier and it doesn't seem to /quite/ respect the hit cap, though it is closer than before. I ended up with 750 expertise with a cap of 780, and 800 hit rating with a cap of 600. This included some reforging into hit. It still doesn't like my tank boots either, though I wasn't sure if you were planning on changing that.

#39 Nisall

Nisall

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

Does the optimization also look at cogwheels? When I ran the optimization with hit/mastery cogwheels I would be just off the hit/exp caps, but when I ran it with crit/mastery I would get the hit/exp exactly and gain 1136.5 score.

#40 necro_potence

necro_potence

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Does the optimization also look at cogwheels? When I ran the optimization with hit/mastery cogwheels I would be just off the hit/exp caps, but when I ran it with crit/mastery I would get the hit/exp exactly and gain 1136.5 score.

It doesn't, yet. For the time being, if you don't have to compare multiple head items, some with cogwheels, some without, and have just that one headpiece, you can remove the hit and expertise provided by them from the value that you input as your desired cap from gear (so, for example, if you use a 200 hit cogwheel and your cap is 1742, you can input 1542).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users