23 replies to this topic

#1 Daldain

Daldain

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:44 AM

Hi Everyone,

At the beginning of the year I came up with an idea for a serious WoW news site, a site that could satisfy my own never-ending need to be updated on the latest WoW news. Fortunately for me I design databases and website programming for a living. During my spare time over the last two months I have been very busy preparing a release and today I want to make it publicly known first via the Elitist Jerk's website.

http://www.wowfix.com

The purpose of this site is to update the user with the latest happenings in WoW. I guess you could call it a digest of information designed to visited every 1-3 hours. Each type of article (news, blue, addon, other) is color coded in the sidebar, and there are regular scans from around various sites to collect this information. One thing I have noticed is that news tends to be sparser during the weekends, I guess people are too busy playing :)

Aspects of the site I'm particularly proud of:
. Blue posts from both EU & US official forums
. Daily new and updated addons
. Daily new items discovered

Currently the site design is lacking some design polish, but I thought it ready enough for public use until I can get my designer to touch it up.

In addition I've tried to make the site user friendly, actions that normally would require you to leave the page such as voting and submitting a shout are done asynchronously to the server.

Things remaining on my to do list:
. Search functionality
. User comments for each article
. Favourites of week / month
. Any new sources of information as people request them

If you have any suggestions or critisisms let me know.

#2 Nite_Moogle

Nite_Moogle

I prefer the term treasure hunting

• Allied Members
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:01 AM

If you have any suggestions

Clear it with the mods first?

#3 heel

heel

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:19 AM

Everything on the front page seems to be ripped directly from blue.cardplace or wowinsider. If all I want is news, is there any reason for me not to just visit those sites instead?

#4 MikeWis

MikeWis

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

It's not bad, I guess, but the layout for the forum posts is a little confusing - its hard to understand exactly what's going on, when it's taken out of context. Simply linking to BlueTracker with a short description of what's being said would be much less cumbersome.

The color scheme feels very flat, but you said you're going to get a designer, so I assume that you've decided to just bite that bullet for now.

If you try to navigate to an archived day with zero entries, nothing happens. That's not a big deal, but you might want to make a "no news found!" page or something for those days.

No links appear to be outright broken, which is a plus for a new site. It's pretty nice overall. Good work!

#5 mek

mek

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:49 AM

I think there is definitely demand for this - a really simple RSS feed + website (with multiple posters for flavor), that culls all the crap out of wowraids/bluetracker/these forums, and gives you what you NEED (or really want) to know, so you know what people are talking about in /g when you log in. A "slashwow", essentially.

Crisp up the design a little, use proper grammar/punctuation, a decent font, and multiple decent posters... and you'll have something good. RSS FEED!

#6 Nott

Nott

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Some longer articles should be broken down into a small headline that you can click on (possibly all articles). The giant patch one is annoying for a general viewer. (Basically, like slashdot, heh)

#7 Daldain

Daldain

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Some longer articles should be broken down into a small headline that you can click on (possibly all articles). The giant patch one is annoying for a general viewer. (Basically, like slashdot, heh)

Funny you should mention slashdot, I often referenced their style of presenting news if I ever felt I was getting sidetracked with details.

I've felt there has been a lack of truly informative WoW portals that satisfy the needs of players who want to be up-to-date, but I think wowfix.com can be something unique and raise the bar.

Good point on that very long blue thread about the PTR patch notes that often pops back. For all the warnings of necromancy the blues remind us of, they have a knack of being guilty themselves with that thread. However, it certainly merits a system of trimming it down in real-estate size at the very least. I have some notes I can action on how to do this in a user-friendly way.

Thanks everyone for the insightful suggestions, I'll continue to monitor feedback and make adjustments to the order of my to-do list.

#8 Dendory

Dendory

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:40 PM

I fail to see how its better than the existing sites. Any new site that wants a chance to succeed needs to add something new and interesting, or redo things in an innovative way.

#9 Daldain

Daldain

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the site way back when it was in early beta. Ever since the last post here we have been working tirelessly to improve the site based on the comments given. I've just reached the stage where we now deem it a live site.

http://www.wowfix.com

Return visitors will notice that the layout and design has gone through a major overhall as this seemed to be the major issue with users here. Long articles (especially those blue posts that can have many entries) will now be condensed into a small sample of their content. The design now displays clear seperation between news articles. There is also daily reports on new/updated addons, movies, and game items.

RSS. Yes RSS is now available, and also very configurable. You can get all the details from this page:

http://www.wowfix.com/rss/

The first thing you'll read on the above page is the new feature to directly place news onto your own website. One common issue we've noticed with guild sites in particular is that their front pages can become stale, however, regularly updated WoW news on these sites should alleviate that problem. Its caching system makes it extremely fast and also very bandwidth friendly. The code is written in php and has been designed to be extremely easy (just one include) to install, and comes with plenty of help and troubleshooting information.

I hope you like the changes.

#10 Lila

Lila

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

The site has too much text, which isn't very well organzied. I give up on reading as soon as I see it.

#11 Raienna

Raienna

Askskas

• Members
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

The site mostly looks good. The left-hand side is very, very "busy" though - what with the multicoloured archive and shoutbox and is kinda annoying when reading the news posts. It might be worth losing the multicolouredness or doing away with the archive in that position altogether.

Otherwise it's quite cool though. :)

#12 Vykromond

Vykromond

the staleness of Max's dumps

• Moderators
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

Shoutboxes are a pretty bad feature for a website. Make a forum.

Otherwise looks pretty good from what I can see.

#13 Kiralyn

Kiralyn

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

I like the idea behind the site. A simple portal pulling news that matter from other site. Simply one problem. There's the whole 'that matters' part that seems to have slipped by.

Right now, I see blue posts about how the mail system works, a blue saying thanks, another person crying about new realms, and the rules for posting in another language on an English EU forum. Thats the same crap that we have to wade through at cardplace. Run through the front page of the site, and count how many of the items actually matter. Bear in mind that your intended audience seems to be addicts, the likes of whom spend time on EJ. That is a very well informed crowd your trying to cater to, and you'll need to do it better, faster, and cleaner than everyone else. Right now theres just too much trash taking up space.

#14 DecimusGarona

DecimusGarona

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

I would recommend taking blue posts off the front page altogether, except maybe with the exception that the blue is the original poster - as in they are posting a news update of some sort. There are just way too many random blue posts that nobody cares about.

#15 Deris

Deris

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Make my work webfilter not go off for the site (probably the meta tags or something) and you'll have a happy RSS Subscriber :(

#16 Zhoe

Zhoe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

I have made something similar to this for -my own personal use- and put it up on my guild website just so I could more easily access it from work. It is basically an RSS aggregator that updates around once a day. I haven't really made any plans to expand on it as there wasn't exactly any interest in it outside of my own, but perhaps it will give you some ideas. The way I have it set up now, it can parse many different formats of RSS feeds; all it really needs is a sites RSS feed and it can be instantly integrated.

For reference, the link is http://www.silentres...g/news/News.sgm .

edit: laptop that does the batch processing has been off the last couple days so last update was on the 19th :P

#17 Cel

Cel

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

I like the progress wowfix has made since I saw it when the first post was made. I agree that the overall look and feel of the site could use some work, such as making the site feel less mechanical, but the information is there, and accessible. A agree that only original blue posts should make the main page, where the rest can go to the blue tab you have on top.

Keep up the good work, make it pretty and people will enjoy using the site quite a bit more.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." - Bertrand Russell

Alpha is recruiting... go go.

#18 Krypt

Krypt

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

The feature i most enjoy about the site is the nice information broken down with quite hilarious Youtube videos. When playing WoW i dont get to watch alot of TV, hence Top Gear, and watching that video made me cry with laughter in the office.

I like the idea of hourly information, as on days like this, when I have nothing to do forums and wow newsboards are my pass time to save me from boredom. For me apperance or design of a site isnt as important as its content, which you have. Keep up the good work.

#19 jmccaffrey

jmccaffrey

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

Looks really informative to me, I'll be checking up on this site a lot probably, good work!

#20 Arvak-

Arvak-

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

There's a lot of info condensed into one place, but that makes sense for the site's purpose. I don't think a shoutbox is necessary though. It seems to take up space without offering much more than a bunch of people saying hello.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users