• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Nibinay

Nibinay

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

Back before the cool down linking I used to use Demonic runes, night dragons and Mana stones to keep my mana pool as full as possible. What are some of the world/trade goods that people use in addition to Potions/Flasks/Elixirs/Food/Oils? The only real items I have found in my brief search of wowhead are the following:

Fire mages using Flame Caps instead of Mana Gems (due to mana pot cost changes and Shadow priest grouping)
Tanks using Nightmare seeds instead of Health stones (due to Flask Changes)
Non-Mage mana users using -Demonic runes /nights dragons

Are there any other trade goods that a raid might use? Mana regen for Healers, Haste or AP for rogues / Hunters?

Short of Soul stoning the raid and ZG/BWL world buffs what are people doing to maximize your raids chances.
I am assuming Mana users are chugging Mana Pots, Rogues/hunters are chugging Haste Pots and Tanks are chugging AC pots.

I haven’t really seen any topics on the use of alternate consumables but if the moderators feel this should be listed under 2.1 Flask/elixir changes or some other topic then feel free to move this topic. I figure there has to be some obscure Quest item/ Random drop item that could be used to help that I have overlooked.

Additional Items
Demonic runes /nights dragons -mana users
Nightmare seeds - Tanks
Flame Caps -Mages
JC Crafted Uses(possible but 1hr cooldown makes them less practical)- Resist fights
Drums of Restoration -Hunter Drum of choice
Drums of Speed-Rogues/warriors/Possibly hunters
Greater Rune of Warding- Tanks
Greater Rune of Shielding- Healers

#2 songster

songster

Chief Passenger

• Members
  • 3613 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

Aye, best to make as full a list as we can so we can report them for bugfixing and get them put on the shared cooldowns. :-)

#3 Shifft

Shifft

The man is a stock car legend.

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

Weapon oils are a big one, as well as destruction potions if you're not mana-limited (rare). Other than that you've pretty much mentioned everything that I can think of.

#4 Nibinay

Nibinay

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Well the items I already listed are on shared cooldowns but I guess if there are some times that are not then feel free to PM me the items. :-)

My question is really about rogues and hunters as I can not think of any item other then a healthstone with that cooldown.

#5 Copernicus

Copernicus

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1433 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

World buffs will not work on targets that are higher than level 63 (DM Buffs, Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer, ZG Heart, and even some MC mobs).

• "Fengus' Ferocity","Mol'dar's Moxie","Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer", "Slip'kik's Savvy" and "Spirit of Zandalar" these buffs will no longer work on targets over level 63.
  • Scarshield Spellbinder: The fire resist buff from this creature will no longer work on targets over level 63.
  • The "Arcane Destruction" buff cast by Sethekk Scryers when mind controlled or spell-steal is used, will now be automatically dispelled when a player leaves the instance.

For examples from the patch notes.

---

The main item-type I'm wondering about is the consumable jewelcrafting pieces that cast a group buff, specifically the damage absorbing necklaces. I haven't heard of anyone using them for resist fights yet, but they'll be annoying if they ever get calculated into the math with their one hour cooldown.

#6 Zwink

Zwink

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

How do the charges work on the damage absorb necklaces? Do you just repair them and you get back to 10 charges?

#7 Tierce

Tierce

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

Leatherworking drums come to mind, although there aren't many leatherworkers out there to use them and I know at least the couple in my guild never have them. I thought they were going to be more common, but I rarely see anybody mention using them.

Zwink - As a JCer, far as I know there is no way to repair those or refill the charges, you just have to make a new one. Personally I wish they would just take the charges away or take the use effect off the items. They are all pretty material intensive and I never want to see a time when those are commonly used for beating an encounter.
Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?

#8 Stopokingme

Stopokingme

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

How do the charges work on the damage absorb necklaces? Do you just repair them and you get back to 10 charges?

If charges are gone you need a new one, you'll just be stuck with a nifty neck with 0 charges.

#9 Nibinay

Nibinay

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

You would think Drums would be used more often at least in the melee groups. I dont have a leatherworker so I dont know the cooldowns but hast rating that last for 30 seconds seems like it would be very useful.

#10 emuporium

emuporium

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

Drums are neat, 30 second duration/2 minute shared cooldown (not sure what else they share it with), and pretty cheap considering you get 30 charges out of each one.

My only gripe is the ridiculously small range on them, you have to be within trade distance with your group members i'd say.

#11 Natasha

Natasha

High Plains Drifter

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:24 PM

This might not be what you are looking for but in the recent weeks I have been stockpiling Strength, Agility and Armor Scrolls. I am hoping to Relentless Flask and then add Str and Agl scrolls for added stats. I needed a 12 step program to help me recover from my alchemy addiction.

#12 Sh@ft

Sh@ft

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

I've recently become addicted to haste pots.

#13 Pyram

Pyram

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

Dark Runes and Demonic Runes have become an absolute necessity for me. With very few people even realizing this, Dark Runes basically never appear in the AH. That means going to the old world to farm them, and let me tell you the gold farmers are still there and never left so farming up demonic runes is a major ordeal.

Also, the fact that these items have not scaled with BC mana requirements is a deficiency. The Outland is filled with demons! Why don't they carry Improved Demonic Runes?

#14 Aural

Aural

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hunters trying to maximize their dps will still be using dual wield + mana oil, and most likely chain-chugging fel mana potions. The patch changes don't do anything to address the mana-consumption issue the class faces.

#15 Ghando

Ghando

Bald Bull

• Guild Members
  • 1341 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

Drums of Restoration = sexy time.
Drums of Battle are also great as well, I'm the only Exalted Sha'tar LWer in my guild so I hand them out to our LWing Rogues.

#16 Daboran

Daboran

King Hippo

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

Drums are neat, 30 second duration/2 minute shared cooldown (not sure what else they share it with), and pretty cheap considering you get 30 charges out of each one.

My only gripe is the ridiculously small range on them, you have to be within trade distance with your group members i'd say.

Very cheap and useful. I'd use them on every fight if I could. The main problem is that a large proportion of Druids take LW (at least in my experience) and they cant be cast in forms. I assume there are still many Hunter/Rogue LW around, but not many on my server and even less who also raid.

I really hope they can make an exception for Drums - seeing as you have to be a LW to use them in the first place, it's hardly game-breaking to allow casting of them in forms.

#17 Rane

Rane

King Hippo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

I blow Haste Drums on practically every cooldown, with an occasional Resto Drum if I don't have a Shadow Priest for my mana issues. They're awesome especially for their costs.

I will agree on their range, increasing it to 20 or maybe even 30 yards will really help make them even more wanted.

#18 Ghando

Ghando

Bald Bull

• Guild Members
  • 1341 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

/agree on the range requirements. Drums don't share cooldowns with anything else that I've seen, but when I'm in a group using Drums I have to remind everyone else to stay clustered on top of me. In many fights, this is not a good option.

#19 Nibinay

Nibinay

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

Sounds to me like a great hunter combo would be Fel mana / Haste drums or
Health/mana drums with Haste Potions. That would give Hunters an additional use of the shared cooldown besides healthstones.

Rogues I would assume would chug haste pots and AP drums unless the Haste drums and Haste pots stack.

#20 Xei

Xei

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:02 AM

Destruction potions for casters are awesome. I chew Dest pot + Flame Cap for many situations when burst DPS is required ... like the first 60 seconds on Hydross/Morogrim when you need to get a lot of damage done before adds. I also try to have them up for the 20% Mage execute burn with Combustion and both "use" trinkets as well.
"Being a leader is not a position of power. It is a position of service." ~ Barestomper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users