• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Avair

Avair

The Howard Roark of Shipwrights

• Members
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

If only they would add in a fixed interest rate on these banks so guilds could make more money than only relying on guild member deposits.

Real banks give interest on deposits, to encourage you to give them your money so they can lend that money to somebody else at a higher rate. Who are guild banks going to lend money to?

Minor Derail: Woot! King Hippo Status

#42 Lord BEEF

Lord BEEF

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

I might be playing devil's advocate here, but I'm going to be honest. I'm looking forward to VOIP so that I can tell people all the things I think of them during battlegrounds that have treated me to numerous interactions with the Blizzard staff in the past.

Yeah I could imagine that being an administrative nightmare if people use the VOiP to drop f bombs on everyone in battlegrounds. Policing that would be extremely resource intensive to say the least
Check out my friend's bitchin' Lord of the Rings Art

#43 Samelina

Samelina

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

Real banks give interest on deposits, to encourage you to give them your money so they can lend that money to somebody else at a higher rate. Who are guild banks going to lend money to?

Minor Derail: Woot! King Hippo Status

Casuals? *snicker*

#44 Quasar

Quasar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

"..you've got a written record -- at which point Blizzard's customer service would take over."

heh... Does that scare anyone else?

I envision someone going to a restaurant and putting the bill on their WoW credit card, only to have a manager come up and tell them their card was declined because they've overdrawn on their guild bank funds.
JUICE! Aww I'm sorry. Did... did anyone want some juice?

#45 Anias

Anias

Solution complicated; Dispense enlightening graph.

•  Patrons
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

BRE had investments, clearly wow should too. (/sarcasm)

I'd rather just address the costs of ownership for raid characters than try to break the server economy. They're addressing consumables to some extent (although not as far as I'd personally like) that leaves the repair bill issue. Perhaps have durability loss for dying in a raid waived. (This is what guild banks basicly do) In at least one analysis, the difference in total durability lost to intentional wipe between a raid a 5 man and a duo is silly.

Look at the total durability lost to people intentionally killing themselves (so ignore the first few people that died to the encounter, and total up the people who went swimming in the lava to get dead and started on their run back faster.)

The duo probably never has an intentional wipe - they're few enough that they just normally. Zero durability intentionally lost to save zero minutes.
The 5 man might call a wipe at 3 people dead, telling the other two to just die for a cost of 20% durability intentionally lost to save x minutes.
The 25 man might call the same wipe at 3 people dead, telling the other twenty-two to just die for the cost of 220% durability intentionally lost to save the same x minutes.

Another way to think about it is in total deaths per hour. I doubt any character in wow dies more per hour than the avg for an active raid during learning.

Maybe the first arbitrary amount of people to die in a raid/party should take the full durability beating, and everyone else misses it, or maybe it should just be waved entirely, but the disparity between costs of intentional wipes is pretty silly, especially when the "total number dead to require a wipe" is similiar.

Something like that would go a long way to eliminating the _need_ for a guild bank's "repair from guild funds" and would incidentally make raiding less burdensome, again shifting the ratio of time spent having fun higher compared to time spent mindlessly abusing elementals. Raiding is time intensive, and by it's cooperative nature, not something you can really just do 24/7/365. It doesn't need extra timesink handicaps, the organization is more than enough timesink.

#46 Lord BEEF

Lord BEEF

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

The new BOE epics that require nether vortices should help out guild funds greatly imo.
Check out my friend's bitchin' Lord of the Rings Art

#47 Whiteknight

Whiteknight

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Another way to think about it is in total deaths per hour. I doubt any character in wow dies more per hour than the avg for an active raid during learning.

PvP comes close. But then, PvP has durability costs waived, and consumable farming costs waived too. For the same gear progression level.

#48 Buiden

Buiden

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

I can't wait for guild banks, as long as they implement them in an easy to use, non-exploitable fashion then all should be well!

As far as VOIP goes, meh this feature isn't really for us raiderish types who already use VOIP it is just to appeal to the mass of people that don't already use it, IMHO. I seriously doubt that (m)any raiding guilds will give up their dedicated ventrilo servers, unless the implementation of WoW VOIP is superb.

On a slightly related note, I definitely agree that guild bank income after 2.1 will be a lot nicer. I forsee the selling of BOE crafted items from SSC/TK/Hyjal/BT will be very lucrative sales. Not to mention if the drop rate on purple gems is high (and it seems to be) then eventually we'll have a surplus of gems to sell off as well.

Lets just hope patch 2.2 doesn't take another 4 months ;)

#49 Fendryl

Fendryl

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Don't forget the new epic gems, specifically from BT (I don't recall if they were in Hyjal as well). Depending on the drop rate, I could see guilds turning a pretty decent profit from selling those off.

Also there's the consumables tokens, again obviously dependent on the drop rate, but if you're pulling in more than you're using, there'll probably be a decent market for selling those to lower tiered guilds.

#50 Chance

Chance

And now he's here to F*ck us!

• Guild Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

I might be playing devil's advocate here, but I'm going to be honest. I'm looking forward to VOIP so that I can tell people all the things I think of them during battlegrounds that have treated me to numerous interactions with the Blizzard staff in the past.

I know I'm succumbing to the lowest level here, but yeah I can't wait to let lose a string of expletives in a battleground the likes of which any mother in earshot of her child playing wow will cut his credit card usage and destroy the computer.
Seriously I will be swearing so much I'll have to learn 3 new languages, and start mashing words together for greater efficiency.

#51 Disquette

Disquette

doop doop de doooo

•  Patrons
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

I seem to be behind the times. I've tried a couple vent/TS overlay programs to tell me who was speaking when they broadcast over vent, but none of them worked particularly well (or at least consistently).

Am I missing some very basic program that displays the "who's speaking" on my screen? If not, I would want to use the built-in one Blizzard is developing for this reason alone.
http://us.battle.net...66766?page=3#41
Let me map a priority list out for you so that you can refer to it in the future:
1. Money 2. Money 3. PvE 4. Mages 5. Companion pets 6. PvP

#52 Crazytrucker

Crazytrucker

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

With the VoIP situation, the only problem I would have would it being monitored which I would assume it could be. Not all guilds when in raids/parties have the cleanest language. I know for a fact half our guild would be banned if we had "typed" what we said and they have seen it. The nice thing about ventrillo is, hey to bad you screwed up listen to the gm curse you out for sucking and you can't do anything, whereas with VoIP they could possibly report?

Edit:

I seem to be behind the times. I've tried a couple vent/TS overlay programs to tell me who was speaking when they broadcast over vent, but none of them worked particularly well (or at least consistently).

Am I missing some very basic program that displays the "who's speaking" on my screen? If not, I would want to use the built-in one Blizzard is developing for this reason alone.

I use voice overlay, shows who is talking in vent on the screen in warcraft.

#53 Nite_Moogle

Nite_Moogle

I prefer the term treasure hunting

• Allied Members
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

Am I missing some very basic program that displays the "who's speaking" on my screen?

Not very basic, but http://www.amazon.co...79348188&sr=8-1 pretty much takes care of it.

#54 Docjowles

Docjowles

Mr. Sandman

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

I use voice overlay, shows who is talking in vent on the screen in warcraft.

For the record, do you mean this VoiceOverlay? I'm a little paranoid about downloading random WoW-related binaries in this age of keyloggers--as I hope everyone here is.

#55 Apate

Apate

Mike Tyson

• Members
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

http://www.teamspeakoverlay.com/ works quite well for TS.
See you, auntie.

#56 Ragnor

Ragnor

King Hippo

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

In game VOIP is going to open a whole new world of griefing people which blizzard won't be able to do anything about. Ever had to password your raid channel in vent when you got spammed or some random came online broadcasting static etc... good times.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

www.retpaladin.com

#57 Camaris

Camaris

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

Lets just hope patch 2.2 doesn't take another 4 months ;)

Just remember that in Blizzardspeak, 'after patch 2.1' could as easily mean patch 2.4 or 12.0.

#58 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

In game VOIP is going to open a whole new world of griefing people which blizzard won't be able to do anything about. Ever had to password your raid channel in vent when you got spammed or some random came online broadcasting static etc... good times.

Uh, how? You just kick them out of your group/raid. Or you turn off the in-game voice chat.

The more interesting question is how the TOS will be applied or enforced (how?) in this setting. If someone is using profanity or whatever in chat channels, they can get reported and sanctioned based on the chat logs. If someone in my PUG is throwing around racial slurs left and right, what can people do except ignore him?

#59 Cheeky

Cheeky

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

Uh, how? You just kick them out of your group/raid. Or you turn off the in-game voice chat.

The more interesting question is how the TOS will be applied or enforced (how?) in this setting. If someone is using profanity or whatever in chat channels, they can get reported and sanctioned based on the chat logs. If someone in my PUG is throwing around racial slurs left and right, what can people do except ignore him?

I imagine a /ignore will work to filter out the VOIP comments from people as well as chat. If not, that should become a quickly requested feature.

Depending on the storage resources they have at thier disposal it could be possible to cache all traffic for a set period of time, so they can be reviewed by GMs. Knowledge of this ability may be enough to curb the majority of complete assholes.
Cheeky of Havoc

#60 Proeliata

Proeliata

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

In game VOIP will certainly add another facet to the "omg ur a girl1!?!?!?!11" experience. Especially for those of us who find it difficult to keep their mouth shut. :ninja:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users