• This topic is locked This topic is locked
350 replies to this topic

#341 Hymn

Hymn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

The simple answer is that without elemental precision you stand to miss 17% of the lightning bolts you cast. I can't recall if the numbers have been run previously or whether there's a link to someone who has already mathed out the exact difference in terms of mana gained per cast before and after this talent. Suffice it to say, I talent into it 2/3 (I have sufficient spirit that 2/3 is enough to hit cap my bolts) because the piece of mind that every bolt i cast will hit and will give me mana back makes it all too worthwhile.

Spec'ing into elemental precision is also a choice of not spec'ing into ancestral swiftness, so please keep this in mind. Not 100% of shaman agree 1 way or the other, but I would suggest if you choose to spec into elem prec. as I have, to enchant your boots with lavawalker to minimize the loss of passive movement speed.

However you look at it, your choice to spec into either of these is a reflection of you as a healer and your preferences. There are fights that favor one over the other, such as Deathwing reg and heroic are amazing for lightning bolt spamming for mana back. I got nearly a million mana back on my first DW HM kill from that alone. Hagara HM frost phases however, some might find the extra mobility and instant ghost wolf casts to be overwhelmingly more important and useful.

End of the day, try it for yourself and see how you like it. I prefer every bolt hitting every time, and don't miss the instant ghost wolf in DS.

Adding on to this.

There is only a 5% difference between lavawalker and ghost wolf (unglyphed). In DS Heroics, Lavawalker is probably better than instant ghost wolf.

Considering our current 4 piece gives SWG a 20% haste + 5 seconds buff only increases the benefit of lava walker. It is probably better to drop the 2 points in instant ghost wolf for something else.

Since well handled DS heroics allow for a decent amount of time to be spent casting lightning bolt's you might as well drop it into the hit talents to improve mana regen.

#342 Chuupag

Chuupag

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Guys I am at a lost here. How important is Elemental Precision in the ele tree if you pick up Telluric Currents in the resto tree?

I think there is another important aspect of the choice to take Elemental Precision. I think most shamans take Acuity regardless of your opinions on crit, so to get 2/3 in Ele Pres you still need to sink another 4 points into the Elemental tree. I don't know about you but my points are pretty tight. When I used to run Ele Pres I had to drop points in Elemental Weapons and Improved shields. I just don't think losing 40% on Earthliving and 15% on Water and Earth Shields is a very effective trade off. Sure you are going to miss 17 out of 100 casts, but I think in most of the situations where you can spam LB that number isn't going to make or break your mana pool. If you can squeeze the bare minimum out of the Resto tree you only have to give up one of those two, but I run a pretty tight spec with 33 in Resto, and personally I wish I had 1 more point in Resto to top off Ancestral Resolve...I just can't spare the point. Your thoughts may differ though, but I think in any situation you can't take both Elemental Weapons and Improved Shields if you elect to take Elemental Precision.

#343 Megabane

Megabane

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

You're right Chuupag, you do have to throw a total of 7 points into the Ele tree in order to get the 2/3 Ele Prec. However, I'll refer you to the first page of this discussion where each talent is listed out. There you can see the opinion on BotE is optional for various reasons. It's value is determined by all sorts of variables like 10 man vs 25 man and tank healing vs raid healing. I personally found it worthwhile as a 10 man snipe healer fighting with a disc priest and resto druid to drop these 2 points in BotE to fuel my TC build.

8/2/31 Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft is what i run with. Is it perfect? Nope. It's what I've played with and found to be a good balance for me in my raiding situation and style of healing.

I'd point out that the way I spec'd I still do take the 2/2 elem weapons in the enh tree, and that the Improved Shields is no longer as powerful as you might remember it ever since they changed Water Shield with Resurgence. The mana gained from being attacked does go up with Imp Shields spec'd but resurgence does not.

If you look at this log of my Spine HM kill last night: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis I find this to be one of the most annoying fights in relation to water shield and it's constantly being knocked off and having to be refreshed. As such, i think it's a great fight to look at the advantages or lack thereof associated with Improved shields. I gained 60k mana from my shield being broken. 140k from healing criticals, 296k from TC, 101k from replenishment etc etc. 2 talent points to get 15% more mana from my shields (60k) vs ensuring my lightning bolts hit and hit harder just doesn't seem worthwhile to me. Yes, it also increases earth shield healing done by 15%, though earth shield healing done is generally lower on the totem pole. 3% of my throughput on the spine fight, 2% on Deathwing HM.

End of the day, you have to look at your comp and playstyle and judge accordingly. 10 vs 25, raid vs tank, who you're healing with, what fight you're on, what stats you prefer and where your gear's at.

#344 MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

Could you go 1/3 Elemental Precision if your a space goat?

#345 Megabane

Megabane

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Could you go 1/3 Elemental Precision if your a space goat?

Can you hit the spell hit cap? Time for napkin math!

I've got an alliance shaman alt but I'm a bad so I had to go to Spell hit - Wowpedia - Your wiki guide to the World of Warcraft to find out with Heroic Presence - Spell - World of Warcraft you still need 1639.14 (rounded to 1640 from here) hit rating to reach the cap. If you only take 1/3 Elemental Precision - Spell - World of Warcraft, you're going to need 4920 spirit to be at 17% spell hit as a space goat.

Is 4920 spirit reachable? I'm not in full bis gear and not all my gear has spirit on it pre-reforging and I'm at 3068 spirit before my HotU is proc'd and 3948 after it's at 10 stacks. That's still almost 1000 spirit shy (about 3% off the hit cap still) and honestly, I wouldn't stack another 1000 spirit over haste/crit/mastery.

TLDR: No, you can't reasonably hit the spell hit cap as a space goat while only taking 1 point in elemental precision. You would need to stack 4920 spirit, which although may be possible I would not advise it.

#346 MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

Also, whats better 2/2 Convection (Damage spells use 10% less mana) or 2/3 Concussion (Increase dmg done by LB, shocks by 4% which is at 2/3)?

As resto going for the sniper build.

#347 Amiral

Amiral

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Also, whats better 2/2 Convection (Damage spells use 10% less mana) or 2/3 Concussion (Increase dmg done by LB, shocks by 4% which is at 2/3)?

As resto going for the sniper build.

When 1,6% of your LB damage > 10% of the LB mana cost, roughly. If you use more damage spells regurarily (shocks for FI, or nova), convection stays better longer.

#348 Aslaf

Aslaf

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

First question:

Eh, I am searching over and over but really don't see any good information about using SLT with Anti-Magic Zone.

Guildie asked me question: about is it possible that in theoretical situation where using AMZ and SLT together runs a huge risk of the totem with some small dmg tics destroying the Zone before the big hit hits?

I found some ideas about how WoL is interpreting all on:

World of Logs • View topic - A way to disable spirit link

but I am really not sure after all (doh! where is my cofee?).
Any ideas?

EDIT: got the source from where my guildie took it, some DK blog:

Note also that dmg taken from a shaman's "Spirit Link Totem" is absorbed by the AMZ and can break it, and so the two should not be used together.
Source: [4.3] Unholy Death Knight 101

Second question (SOLVED):
that bothers me around, perhaps somebody can help.

Well I set my haste at 1271 rating (9,93%). When I am using t13 4set bonus/hero (should be +30% haste) it’s jumping to 42,90% (if we calculate that on rating its 5491,03 so just after 5486 cap).

That's strange, if we calculate it just like it’s stated in tooltip +30% it should be 1652,3 haste rating (12,909%).

Which is correct? What am I missing?
I was trying to dig it here and there but haven’t got luck to find it.

(ps. asked that some time ago on LiG5, got diff gear now so don't look on what's in armory).

EDIT - THANKS for PM!

Haste buffs are multiplicative.
1.0993 * 1.3 = 1.42909

#349 Miioua

Miioua

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi,

Me and my guild, we are now fighting against Spine of Deathwing 25HM and I would like to know your opinion about best things to do in Shaman healer.
Is it :
- Spam Healing Rain + Healing Chain on debuff (Searing Plasma)? but this cost a lot of mana
or
- Spam Greater Heal on debuff ?

Sure Riptide and Unleash Element won't be forgotten.

Thanks

#350 Yotz

Yotz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

I'd point out that the way I spec'd I still do take the 2/2 elem weapons in the enh tree, and that the Improved Shields is no longer as powerful as you might remember it ever since they changed Water Shield with Resurgence. The mana gained from being attacked does go up with Imp Shields spec'd but resurgence does not.

This happened in the same patch that they nerfed ES heals, and compensated by increasing the buff to other heals the ES buff gave. This dropped imp shields out of my talents then and there. By not taking these talents on-top of the spells nerf, the glyph has reduced effect also.

I love the play style putting unleashed lightening in that slot gives. You no longer GW around, you run around with SWG healing when needed, and regenning mana with TC otherwise. You can fill every global in a fight, which is fun!

On the discussion of 2 points in Elemental Precision. The second point is largely wasted, the amount of Spirit we tend to have, with trinkets stacked, means you cant quite get to 17% with 1 point, but close enough that the second point is better spent elsewhere. Last time I checked my miss rate (in logs), it was 2 - 3%. It also lets you be hit capped against lower level mobs, if you can prioritize TC on adds, you are easily hit caped with the one point.

I feel my spec has everything it needs, and has served me well since early FL.

#351 Grizlor

Grizlor

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

- Spam Healing Rain + Healing Chain on debuff (Searing Plasma)? but this cost a lot of mana
or
- Spam Greater Heal on debuff ?

It depends how many plasmas are out. I run 4 piece heroic T12 on this fight because I can riptide a plasma guy, chain heal him 3 times, then riptide a new plasma guy and repeat. Only time I use GHW on this fight on 25 is if there are 3 or fewer plasmas, or if someone with plasma on them is <50% hp (or someone is gripped and <50% hp). Healing rain when your raid is killing bloods or people actually need healing (rolls, amalg blasts), don't bother otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users