Photo

[Cataclysm] Mage Simple Questions and Answers (Read the First Post)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
212 replies to this topic

#41 Katalyn34

Katalyn34

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:06 AM

Which instance? Can you remember the name of the mobs?

I was in ZA, and I believe it was one of the packs with the flame casters. I've looked through some of the mob's abilities on Wowhead and I don't see anything relevant. I'll watch again next time I go through there.

#42 Intermission

Intermission

Spiral out, keep going

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:09 AM

Some mobs there become immune to all attacks. Perhaps the "miss" you saw was an immune, but whatever tool you used (Recount, RSA, etc) displayed the text "miss".

#43 viktorius

viktorius

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

Combustion combines dots, is it usefull to use a spellpower-trinket with combustion, or should i use the trinket to get high ignites for combustion?

#44 Nathyiel

Nathyiel

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

Due to the way combustion is working, I think that the better way to use a "on Use" Intel Trinket is to use it just before cast it. It have to be active when you refresh LB and cast Pyro!.

#45 talchas

talchas

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

As of my last testing, Int/SP trinkets would need to be active when you cast combustion in order to boost the contribution of LB/pyro. It is irrelevant whether or not they are active when you last refreshed the LB/pyro dots (for the purpose of combustion).

Now, you still might want to use them ahead of time to try to get a good ignite, but I haven't run the probabilities to see which is likely to give you better damage.

#46 Uld

Uld

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

I'm wondering about Master of Elements talent when using Shard of Woe. Does the trinket affect mana refund calculation ?

#47 Mangara

Mangara

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

I remember posts from before Cataclysm talking about later raiding tiers having a higher hit cap, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Has the hit cap changed for Firelands, or is it still at 17% and 1742 rating?

#48 Gloinn12

Gloinn12

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

I remember posts from before Cataclysm talking about later raiding tiers having a higher hit cap, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Has the hit cap changed for Firelands, or is it still at 17% and 1742 rating?

Yes it is still 1742 rating. They mentioned adding that for later tiers in case gear starts to get out of control like it did in wrath and as of right now, that is not the case.

#49 Traeumer

Traeumer

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:38 AM

I'm wondering about Master of Elements talent when using Shard of Woe. Does the trinket affect mana refund calculation ?

No, it does not. The refund is just as high as without the Shard.

#50 AndreasDS

AndreasDS

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

I got a question about the arcane haste cap for tier11.

I've heard that it's already possible to reach the haste cap during Bloodlust/Timewarp etc, and I myself are not a big fan/user of Rawr/simulation, so I wonder. If your raid has the correct raidbuffs and raidsetup, and you use your TW/BL with everything else, where is the cap to be exact, in haste rating + talents?

I've tried to look it up on rawr but I havent managed to figure out how.

Thanks in advance!

#51 Malcophant

Malcophant

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

I got a question about the arcane haste cap for tier11.

I've heard that it's already possible to reach the haste cap during Bloodlust/Timewarp etc, and I myself are not a big fan/user of Rawr/simulation, so I wonder. If your raid has the correct raidbuffs and raidsetup, and you use your TW/BL with everything else, where is the cap to be exact, in haste rating + talents?

I've tried to look it up on rawr but I havent managed to figure out how.

Thanks in advance!

It's about 2.4% haste from gear, or 311 haste rating (assuming you have 4pc). Without 4pc, it's about 13.8% from gear, or 1768 rating. Both numbers assume full raid buffs, 4 stacks of AB, and heroism.

For future reference, calculating haste % is fairly easy. The formula is (CAST_TIME/HASTE_PERCENT). In this case, 4 stack AB reduces the cast time pre-haste, so instead of 2s, it's 1.6s. So, 1.6/(1*1.05*1.03*1.3). 1.05 is raid buffs, 1.03 is talents, and 1.3 is heroism.

Hope this helped.

#52 fateswarm

fateswarm

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

Is there a considerable difference in DPS between 50ms and 100ms world latency? Is the spec largely related? For example, is the less "active" rotation of Arcane less sensitive to network latency than Fire?

#53 Aestis

Aestis

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

Is there a considerable difference in DPS between 50ms and 100ms world latency? Is the spec largely related? For example, is the less "active" rotation of Arcane less sensitive to network latency than Fire?

The simple answer is yes, slightly. With Arcane you generally have each cycle of three or four casts planned out already, whereas Fire is more reactive, with shorter casts, such as when Hot Streak procs close to the end of a Living Bomb. But I wouldn't say there'd be much *noticeable* difference between 50ms and 100ms, with the 4.0 spell queuing system. Given that human fine motor reaction time bottoms out at about 200ms, I wouldn't worry about choosing a spec for latency reasons until my latency hit at least 500ms on average.
Casual for Cata, don't armory me :keke:
Energy drink junkie. Dubstep junkie. If it's red it's dead.

#54 fateswarm

fateswarm

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

I've retracted from asking these questions for a few weeks because I assumed they are answered by common knowledge that I would find eventually. However, I notice a certain uncertainty between people in common community places.

1. MageManaBar appears to indirectly suggest to use Flame Orb in its own phase some time after burn phase and the Arcane thread OP here does not directly allocate its place in a rotation. Could it alternately be used right after cooldowns are popped for a burn phase? After all, it appears to be higher damage than 1 ABx4 on Rawr. The same software appears to indicate that Arcane Missiles on its own is often below 15k, making a "Arcane Missiles spam spree" that so many people talk about to be not that exciting. Rawr also indicates that other ABxX+AM/AB combinations on the cycle analyzer to be more beneficial which does not seem to require the frequent AM procs of a Flame Orb, at least at a first glance.

2. Presence of Mind; situational properties aside, does it have a place in a common rotation? Several people in popular forums appear to suggest to use it on the ABx3 stage before a burn phase. Does it hold any truth?

#55 angayelle

angayelle

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

I've retracted from asking these questions for a few weeks because I assumed they are answered by common knowledge that I would find eventually. However, I notice a certain uncertainty between people in common community places.

1. MageManaBar appears to indirectly suggest to use Flame Orb in its own phase some time after burn phase and the Arcane thread OP here does not directly allocate its place in a rotation. Could it alternately be used right after cooldowns are popped for a burn phase? After all, it appears to be higher damage than 1 ABx4 on Rawr. The same software appears to indicate that Arcane Missiles on its own is often below 15k, making a "Arcane Missiles spam spree" that so many people talk about to be not that exciting. Rawr also indicates that other ABxX+AM/AB combinations on the cycle analyzer to be more beneficial which does not seem to require the frequent AM procs of a Flame Orb, at least at a first glance.

2. Presence of Mind; situational properties aside, does it have a place in a common rotation? Several people in popular forums appear to suggest to use it on the ABx3 stage before a burn phase. Does it hold any truth?

I see what you mean by asking this and I'd like to have the answer aswell. If a mini burn phase followed by a AM spam regen phase leaded to be less dps than actual ABxX + AM then my Orb burn phase would be of course removed from the suggestions in MageManaBar.

Now to reach 80% like I suggest in MageManaBar as a reaching point to use FO, you need more than just an ABx4.

#56 Hinkakan

Hinkakan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

Spreading Combustion through Impact.

For a while now, I have had this problem. When ever I wish to spread Combustion via Impact, the Impact buff dissapears as soon as I apply Combustion.

IE: While fighting a group of mobs, I Blastwave (improved) => Impact procs => I apply combustion => and then Impact immediatly dissapears again.

This means, that if I want to spread Combustion, I'll have to apply Combustion, then flamestrike, hoping I get an Impact proc.. meanwhile wasting valuable Combustion dot time.

I have refrained from writing here, firstly because I felt this was a quite major nerf, and therefore someone else would post it if it was a bug, or it is intentional, and I have somehow missed the patch note where it was implemented. Secondly, I since firelands I have pretty much exclusively played arcane, so it isnt something that I confront a lot.

So my question is this. Am I the only one experiencing this?

If not: Is this a bug?

If not: Which patch was it implemented? I have been looking through the patch notes, and I cant find anything about it. Been checking the Fire mage compendium aswell.. couldnt find anything there.

I feel it is a huge inconvenience. Seeing that Combustion is a pretty RNG ability in itself, having to rely on impact proccing, after combustion has been applied just makes it rediculusly random in my humble opinion.

#57 Balkoth

Balkoth

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

Moderator note: I've given Balkoth permission to post this, since we are now allowing people to post combat logs in SQSA threads. Although it would obviously be better if the mage in question did his own research.

I'm wondering about an arcane mage named Starstorm: Starstorm @ Greymane - Game - World of Warcraft

I realize that arcane specializes on single target fights with little to no movement, but it seems that even on those fights he should be higher. Specifically, here are three parses I've been looking at for our 10 man raid:

Beth'tilac: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis
Baleroc (3 healed): World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis
Baleroc (2 healed): World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

On Beth'tilac he was assigned full time on Beth, meaning he could wail away on her upstairs and prey on targets of opportunity down below, and then just stand still and nuke for phase 2. On Baleroc, it's a single target fight that requires him to move very little (Blink to the shard, take 2 steps away, stand still and nuke for 45+ seconds).

He is a few pieces of gear (like 3-4) behind many of the other raiders, but he's still very middle of the pack to the low end and I'm wondering if he's not playing correctly. I'm also pretty sure his helm, shoulders, gloves, belt, and boots should be 40 Intellect instead of his current hybrid gems, so his damage done isn't the only reason I'm concerned about him.

Edit in response to moderator edit: I already received a very helpful PM yesterday regarding this post. More information would always be nice, but the gist of my question and the main potential problems seemed to be covered pretty well. I'm happy to recognize the person who sent me the PM publicly if they don't mind, but I wasn't sure if they wanted it due to the PM medium.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

#58 Napwneon

Napwneon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

At what haste point does a hard-casted pyroblast become a dps increase over fireball? I am wondering at what point on Alysrazor I should switch over to using pyroblast as my main nuke.

#59 Hinkakan

Hinkakan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

At what haste point does a hard-casted pyroblast become a dps increase over fireball? I am wondering at what point on Alysrazor I should switch over to using pyroblast as my main nuke.

this is being discussed here

http://elitistjerks....tips_tricks/p6/

#60 Notfur

Notfur

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

Despite the 3.1 patch notes, the damage bonus from Tricks of the Trade (tott) seems to be stacking with Arcane Power.
Can someone confirm or deny?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users