159 replies to this topic

#1 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:05 AM

Patch Notes

• Guarded By The Light no longer interacts with Holy Shield in any way.
  • Holy Shield has been redesigned. This talent is now an activated ability off the global cooldown. It grants 20% increased block amount to a paladin's shield blocks for 10 seconds, with a 30-second cooldown.
  • Judgements of the Wise now procs on attempt rather than on strike, which means judgements that miss can still grant mana. This is to help ensure Protection paladins are not starved for mana if they aren't capped on hit rating.
  • Death knights, paladins, and warriors no longer receive any bonus to their chance to dodge from Agility. Their base chance to dodge is now a fixed 5%.
  • Death knights, paladins, and warriors now receive 27% of their Strength bonuses as parry rating, up from 25%. This conversion still only applies to Strength above and beyond their base Strength.

The Basics

This section summarizes the detailed analysis of the later sections. If you want to know what to do but don't particularly care why, this section is for you.

Talents

The baseline spec is 0/31/5: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
The last 5 points go into your choice of Pursuit of Justice, Reckoning, Rule of Law, and Hallowed Ground.

Prime glyphs: Seal of Truth is mandatory. Choose between Shield of the Righteous (single target), Hammer of the Righteous (AoE), and Word of Glory (survival) for the other two.

Gear

Our goal is 100% combat table coverage (CTC), meaning that every boss swing is a block, parry, dodge, or miss. The best way to accomplish this is to stack Mastery as high as possible. Even if you can’t reach 100% CTC, Mastery gives you the best bang for your buck in damage reduction.
  • , , and are our preferred gems.
  • is the strongest meta.
  • Reforge Mastery onto every item that doesn’t have it. Reforge threat stats (hit, expertise, crit, haste) into Mastery when possible and Dodge or Parry otherwise.

Threat

Notation
We describe our rotation as a priority queue.
A > B > C
means:
Hit A immediately when it comes off cooldown.
Hit B if it’s available and A is still cooling down.
Hit C if neither A nor B are available.

Single target
Shield of the Righteous > Crusader Strike > Avenger's Shield > Hammer of Wrath > Judgement
Multiple target
Inquisition > Hammer of the Righteous > Avenger's Shield > Consecrate > Holy Wrath

Survival

Patch 4.2 adds a new cooldown - Holy Shield - to an already long list: GoAK, LoH, AD, DP, Mirror, WoG, and potions. These abilities help you survive situations where your risk of death is elevated. These situations range from the obvious - a special attack on a predictable timer - to the more subtle but no less deadly, like a debuff that disables or distracts your healers. Here are a couple guidelines for using cooldowns effectively:
  • Use cooldowns before you take damage. If you use GoAK at half health, 90k HP, the cooldown is effectively adding 90k more HP before you die. If you wait until you reach 20k HP, it only adds an effective 20k HP. Waiting to use your cooldowns until you’re at low HP is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Your cooldowns only benefit you as much as you use them. You get the most mileage out of consciously using them in dangerous situations, but you’re better off macroing them to your threat rotation than not using them at all.

Talents and Glyphs

Theck’s done a thorough analysis of the DPS value of each talent over at Maintankadin:
Maintankadin • View topic - Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Vengeance                       --------100%------   --------30%-------
hit%/exp                         --2%/10---  8%/26   --2%/10---   8%/26
Talent                           W39    939    939   W39    939     939
WotL                            1114   1271   1496   734    835    982 
Sacred Duty                      329    598    761   212    385    490 
Reck (1st point)                 231    314    371   152    206    244 
Reck (2nd point)                 207    281    332   136    184    218 
Grand Crusader (2nd point)       225    231    228   142    147    148 
Grand Crusader (1st point)       207    195    140   132    124     94 
RoL                              169    182    220   112    121    146 
Crusade                          168    181    219   111    120    145 
SotP                               0    123    134     0     77     84 
Arbiter of the Light              54     72     80    34     46     50 
Hallowed Ground                   55     54     57    35     35     37 
JotP                              43     20     30    28     15     22 
Eternal Glory                     77      0      0    47      0      0

Same data for glyphs: Maintankadin • View topic - Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x
seal         SoI     SoT     SoT     SoT     SoT
   rotation     W39     939     939     W39     939
   hit/exp    2%/10   2%/10   8%/26   2%/10   2%/10
   Veng        100%    100%    100%    100%    30% 
   SoT          0.0   822.9   420.8   762.5   536.6
   AS         400.5   499.4   559.6   503.7   334.1
   SotR       206.3   359.5   422.7   228.2   231.4
   HotR       208.5   220.1   270.0   222.8   138.2
   CS         182.9   193.3   224.7   195.6   128.0
   J           44.0    57.5    59.7    57.9    36.2

There are a few major glyphs worth considering for utility (descriptions TBD):
Glyph of Divine Protection
Glyph of Holy Wrath
Glyph of Ascetic Crusader
Glyph of Lay on Hands
Glyph of Rebuke
Glyph of Turn Evil

Stats and Gear

Our goal is 100% combat table coverage (CTC), meaning that every boss swing is a block, parry, dodge, or miss. The best way to accomplish this is to stack Mastery as high as possible. Even if you can’t reach 100% CTC, Mastery gives you the best bang for your buck in damage reduction.
  • , , and are our preferred gems.
  • is the strongest meta.
  • Reforge Mastery onto every item that doesn’t have it. Reforge threat stats (hit, expertise, crit, haste) into Mastery when possible and Dodge or Parry otherwise. Try to balance your raid-buffed Dodge and Parry: when buffed only with Kings, you want Parry + 155 = Dodge if you raid with Mastery food, and Parry + 65 = Dodge if you use feasts.

Reaching the CTC cap is possible in T11 gear and will only get easier as we gear up in T12. There are two schools of thought on what to do with the extra item budget: changing blocks into dodges/parries with more Fine Ember Topazes, and increasing maximum health with more Puissant Dream Emeralds. These options will be further discussed in the thread.

As we progress into T12, we’ll be faced with a choice between our Tier 11 and Tier 12 4-piece bonuses versus increased stats on higher-level gear.
Tier 11: Increases the duration of your Guardian of Ancient Kings ability by 50%.
Tier 12: When your Divine Protection expires, you gain an additional 12% parry chance for 10 sec.
This question could also use further discussion.

Enchants

[TABLE]Slot | Enchant
Head | [Arcanum of the Earthen Ring]
Shoulders | [Greater Inscription of Unbreakable Quartz]
Back | [Enchant Cloak - Protection]
Chest | [Enchant Chest - Greater Stamina]
Wrist | [Enchant Bracer - Dodge]
Hands | [Enchant Gloves - Greater Mastery]
Legs | [Drakehide Leg Armor]
Feet | [Enchant Boots - Mastery]
Weapon | [Enchant Weapon - Windwalk]
Shield | [Enchant Shield - Blocking]
[/TABLE]

Professions

Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting provide bonus Mastery, while Alchemy, Leatherworking, Inscription, Enchanting, and Mining provide Stamina. As we reach CTC cap in T12 gear, that distinction will lose importance. Engineering provides another minor cooldown, [Quickflip Deflection Plates]. Herbalism, Tailoring, and Skinning are suboptimal.

Threat

Notation
We describe our rotation as a priority list.
A > B > C
means:
Hit A immediately when it comes off cooldown.
Hit B if it’s available and A is still cooling down.
Hit C if neither A nor B are available.

Single Target

Theck has a great analysis of a variety of rotations: Maintankadin • View topic - Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

DPS            TPS            SHPS            E     I  
  Q#  Priority                                                 V=100%  V=30%  V=100%  V=30%  V=100%  V=30%   %     %  
  29  SDSotR>ISotR>Inq>CS>AS>J>Cons>HW                         16277   10637  48833   31913     0       0    1.7  40.5
  13  SotR>CS>AS>J>Cons>HW                                     16094   10514  48283   31544     0       0    1.6   0.0
  12  SotR>CS>AS>J>HW                                          15886   10401  47658   31202     0       0    2.8   0.0
  23  SDSotR>ISotR>Inq>CS>AS>J                                 15780   10243  47340   30730     0       0    7.5  40.5
   1  SotR>CS>AS>J                                             15642   10156  46925   30468     0       0    7.3   0.0

43  WoG>SotR>CS>AS>J>Cons>HW                                 14749    9651  44247   28954  1335     951    1.7   0.0
  35  WoG>SotR>CS>AS>J                                         14291    9288  42872   27863  1335     951    7.5   0.0
  34  WoG>CS>AS>J                                              12568    8183  37704   24550  1615    1150   10.5   0.0

62  ISotR>SDSotR>Inq>CS>AS>HoW>J>Cons>HW                     17618   11544  52853   34633     0       0    0.0  43.0
  51  SotR>CS>AS>HoW>J                                         17245   11292  51735   33876     0       0    0.3   0.0
  68  WoG>SotR>CS>AS>HoW>J>Cons>HW                             15999   10493  47997   31480  1335     951    0.0   0.0
As you can see, Consecrate and Holy Wrath are pretty bad.

Multiple Target

TBD

Openers

TBD

Survival

Patch 4.2 adds a new cooldown - Holy Shield - to an already long list: GoAK, LoH, AD, DP, Mirror, WoG, and potions. These abilities help you survive situations where your risk of death is elevated. These situations range from the obvious - a special attack on a predictable timer - to the more subtle but no less deadly, like a debuff that disables or distracts your healers. Here are a couple guidelines for using cooldowns effectively:
  • Use cooldowns before you take damage. If you use GoAK at half health, 90k HP, the cooldown is effectively adding 90k more HP before you die. If you wait until you reach 20k HP, it only adds an effective 20k HP. Waiting to use your cooldowns until you’re at low HP is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Your cooldowns only benefit you as much as you use them. You get the most mileage out of consciously using them in dangerous situations, but you’re better off macroing them to your threat rotation than not using them at all.

TBD - abilility by ability breakdown

Credits & Errata

Major thanks to Theck for the hard work and ingenuity that’s gone into his MATLAB models. Thanks as well to all the contributors on both Elitist Jerks and Maintankadin.

Changelog
6/20/2011: Initial revision
Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#2 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:07 AM

Obviously not quite done, but I figured I'd get the majority of the post out there. Feedback welcome!
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#3 ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

With the fact that Guarded by the Light has no attachment to Holy Shield now, due to the change in skill, and that we can at best pop one WoG every 20 seconds, is Guarded by the Light even seen as a worthwhile talent anymore? The shield part is only viable if you are basically AT full health already anyways, and the +10% heal on WoG isn't that big a deal, I would think.

Maybe shifting the 2 points from Guarded by the Light to Eternal Glory, would prove better, because then we have the 30% chance to WoG and then SotR right after. I got a feeling, if a bunch of paladins stop using it entirely, Blizzard may take note, and rework it somehow (for such a deep-tree talent, it sure isn't doing much anymore, come 4.2).

#4 Lumines-EU

Lumines-EU

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Maybe shifting the 2 points from Guarded by the Light to Eternal Glory, would prove better, because then we have the 30% chance to WoG and then SotR right after.

Taking Eternal Glory instead of Guarded by the Light is choosing a threat talent over a survival talent; for as long as threat is trivialised by Vengeance and survival is still an issue (i.e. through most progression content) that is not a good trade-off to be made.

I would argue that Guarded by the Light is still a strong survival talent in many situations, and I certainly won't be dropping it for 4.2.

#5 Jezele

Jezele

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

Might as well make the change in leg armors from Charscale to Drakehide. Also, you have the Gear section listed twice, but I suspect you know that. :)

#6 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

Yeah. What I'm aiming for is for the "Basics" section to be a miniature version of the rest of the post, summarizing the conclusions that the full sections go into in greater depth. In some cases, I'm still working on adding that greater depth :P Any thoughts on how I can make that summary/analysis distinction more clear? Should I just put this disclaimer at the top?
MTG Online draft viewer

#7 Estragenlol

Estragenlol

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Could put the patch notes between the summary and analysis to split the two.

#8 Fetzie

Fetzie

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

Reforge Mastery onto every item that doesn’t have it. Reforge threat stats (hit, expertise, crit, haste) into Mastery when possible and Dodge or Parry otherwise. Try to balance your Dodge and Parry

You may wish to add a Nota Bene regarding items with either Dodge or Parry Rating and Hit or Expertise Rating in very unequal proportions. In these cases one can often gain more Combat Table Coverage by reforging the avoidance stat into Mastery than if one were to reforge off the threat stat. A case in point would be the Pauldrons of Roaring Flame - Item - World of Warcraft (320 Dodge Rating, 142 Hit Rating).

With regards to the Professions segment, Alchemy can also provide a bonus to Mastery (Mixology + Elixir of the Master - Item - World of Warcraft).

#9 Theck

Theck

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

General rule of thumb on that (from my Derivations thread on MT):

For overall damage reduction, you'd reforge the threat stat unless it was extremely unequal, as in 10% of the avoidance on the item.
For CTC, the threshold is much higher, at around 66%.

#10 Jaybird

Jaybird

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:38 AM

For people who are still gearing I would recommend adding the Strength + Mastery head enchant from Twilight Highlands. It gives significantly better CTC coverage than the Stamina + Dodge one.

#11 Theck

Theck

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

In regards to unbuffed dodge/parry, since everything is rating-based now we just need to balance the ratings. You get 549 STR from Horn of Winter, which is 576 after Kings. That should give you 155 parry rating. If you're using a feast instead of mastery food, you get 90 dodge rating from that. You'd also need to account for the parry rating gained from the 5% of your STR from kings, which complicates matters, but for us that's easily solved by just buffing kings.

Thus, I'd say the best advice is probably "buff yourself with kings, then try and optimize such that your parry rating is 155 lower than dodge if you use mastery food, or 65 lower if you use a feast."

#12 Dekkar

Dekkar

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

As far as this goes:
Shield of the Righteous > Crusader Strike > Avenger's Shield > Hammer of Wrath > Judgement

I take a slightly different approach that maths out to slightly more damage, especially if RNG is on my side.

The basic priority is the same but what I do at 3 holy power (and has been discussed elsewhere I believe) is to have a conditional for Shield of the Righteous as follows:

if HP low or healers have to move, and WoG is off cooldown
-> Word of Glory
elseif Sacred duty or Inquisition are up
-> Use Shield of the Righteous
else
-> Use Inquisition

#13 Estragenlol

Estragenlol

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

As far as this goes:

I take a slightly different approach that maths out to slightly more damage, especially if RNG is on my side.

The basic priority is the same but what I do at 3 holy power (and has been discussed elsewhere I believe) is to have a conditional for Shield of the Righteous as follows:

if HP low or healers have to move, and WoG is off cooldown
-> Word of Glory
elseif Sacred duty or Inquisition are up
-> Use Shield of the Righteous
else
-> Use Inquisition

You can find that conditional in the Single Target threat portion of the OP's post.

#14 Ronark

Ronark

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

It should be noted that CS/HotR casts do not generate Holy Power if the ability is Missed, Dodged, and Parried by the spell's primary target. Additionally, include that Grand Crusader procs generate Holy Power on attempt, and not on strike (much like JotW will do).

#15 Guest_aearion_*

Guest_aearion_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:56 AM

For people who are still gearing I would recommend adding the Strength + Mastery head enchant from Twilight Highlands. It gives significantly better CTC coverage than the Stamina + Dodge one.

I'm not sure if i agree with this or not. When still gearing, i think it is quite common for players to get "globalled" by bosses, from a melee swing and a breath, or melee swing and electrocute style situation. As such even though the overall CTC may be higher, it is probably a better survivability choice to get the earthen ring head enchant of 90 stam, 35 dodge

#16 Trajectory

Trajectory

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:15 AM

I'm not sure if i agree with this or not. When still gearing, i think it is quite common for players to get "globalled" by bosses, from a melee swing and a breath, or melee swing and electrocute style situation. As such even though the overall CTC may be higher, it is probably a better survivability choice to get the earthen ring head enchant of 90 stam, 35 dodge

I agree. Worrying about your CTC table while gearing through ZA/ZG ilvl instances seems rather pointless. It is true that either enchant may not provide that may last bit of coverage of HP or CTC rating to save your life, but having a helm enchant that has survivability and some CTC coverage in it seems like a much more worthwhile bet.

#17 Pawpurr

Pawpurr

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:36 AM

I got a feeling, if a bunch of paladins stop using it entirely, Blizzard may take note, and rework it somehow (for such a deep-tree talent, it sure isn't doing much anymore, come 4.2).

No, it will still be used. Guarded by Light is a very important talent. The reason for this is that you can (and should) just save your WoGs for right before a predictable damage spike, when healers will top you off to full anyway, meaning you get the entire WoG as an absorb. Pretty much every heroic boss in Tier 11 has a cast-time or cooldown based spell damage attack, and with a GBTL absorb + Power Word Shield you can full absorb some of the scariest attacks in the game with no other defensive cooldowns. Taking 0 damage from a Sinestra breath or Electrocute is totally sweet. I would argue also that if you're gemmed full mastery (as I am) this mechanic is even more important, as it essentially lets you pretend you've got 40K more HP than you actually have for one attack. It doesn't really matter if you "waste" holy power by saving 3 for a major attack since threat is pretty trivial.

I would suggest adding a description of WoG timing to the OP! It's sort of similar to DK death strike timing except, obviously, you can only do it once every 20 seconds.

Oh, as above posters have mentioned also, the only other talent options buff threat (which we have established as trivial).

#18 Trajectory

Trajectory

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

I would suggest adding a description of WoG timing to the OP! It's sort of similar to DK death strike timing except, obviously, you can only do it once every 20 seconds.

Having a situational report of where WoG could be best used for T11/T12 fights could be beneficial for a lot of new Prot Pallies. Heck, I still see some that hit WoG at the oddest timing.

Good idea on that one in my opinion.

#19 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

Regardless, I'm not too concerned about figuring out what's optimal for trivial content.

Good idea and good summary of why GbtL should still be taken. I'll add a paragraph under the survival section for it.
MTG Online draft viewer

#20 Theck

Theck

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:07 AM

I've updated my simulations for 4.2 if you want to pull the new numbers off of them. Nothing significant has changed. I'm hoping to get the AoE sim updated later today, that one needs a fairly significant code overhaul still.

I think that Solid Ocean Sapphire and Defender's Demonseye should be added to the gem area. Once we reach cap, we're probably going to want to start converting over-cap mastery to stamina, and gemming is the most versatile way to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users