• This topic is locked This topic is locked
171 replies to this topic

#21 Tyrannon

Tyrannon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

I´m Struggling with 3-4 Enemy scenarios. Most times, i´m doing the same DPS i would have done with just Single Target dmg.

What´s the Rotation, for optimal DPS against 3-4 Mobs?

#22 Arphastas

Arphastas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:36 AM

I´m Struggling with 3-4 Enemy scenarios. Most times, i´m doing the same DPS i would have done with just Single Target dmg.

What´s the Rotation, for optimal DPS against 3-4 Mobs?

Roll VT/SWP and have some way of keeping track of your DoTs across mutliple targets, either a unit frames addon such as tidy plates (with debuffs enabled) or forte exorcist are the 2 most common ways.

#23 Explosion713

Explosion713

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

With the boost to mastery in 4.2, I would definitely say the better enchant for gloves is the 65 mastery to gloves. It's proven to be that way for my personal gear set, but maybe for less equipped sets it's the 50 haste like you put.

#24 Arà adne

Arà adne

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:52 PM

• Spell Priority: You seem to be encouraging SW:D on cooldown, when it should really only be used when the target is below 25% health or the caster is below 10% (ish) mana.

While using SW: D on cooldown is not correct, I don't see using SW: D below 10%(ish) mana to be correct either. I think SW: D should be used in a way that makes you have no mana issues. It all depends on encounter and some encounters demand you to start using it very early to be able to last for the entire fight. Ragnaros comes to mind if you have a bad habit of spamming DP when moving. Or on Lord Rhyolith if you multi dot + Mind Sear. That takes a lot of mana. I would suggest you learn your encounters and use SW: D accordingly. Don't have a rule to use it at 10% mana, because there is no guarantee your mana bar will go up even if you use that rule.

#25 Lonethil

Lonethil

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

Would be nice if you added a short explanation on what the macros actually do for you, I kinda get it but it would be nice to not have to guess =P

Other than that nice writeup =)

#26 vykas

vykas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

It's always been likely that imo, just because of the fact that 65>50.

Well there is an argument for using your own stat weights to determine wich is best. 65 is not always greater than 50 if that stat is weighed much lower than the other. However, you are correct in this regard since currently it looks like on "light movement" fights mastery and haste are weighing very similar (and occasionally mastery is pulling ahead in the sim results currently up).

#27 HellReaver

HellReaver

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Posted Image

So what do you think about this? My opinion is that we must stack mastery after reaching additional tick of VT. Because additional tick of VT makes it 16s long. Especially with t12 4-piece.

#28 Arphastas

Arphastas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:40 AM

Posted Image

So what do you think about this? My opinion is that we must stack mastery after reaching additional tick of VT. Because additional tick of VT makes it 16s long. Especially with t12 4-piece.

shadowpriest.com • View topic - Why Haste Plateaus Don't Exist

Read that, haste plateaus don't exist, just stick with your normal gearing.

#29 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:37 AM

It's always been likely that imo, just because of the fact that 65>50.

It definitely wasn't when the previous guide was written by me. Mastery was our weakest stat and a later patch bumped it up a bit.

#30 Angristt

Angristt

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

I've done some searching and haven't found a concrete answer for: if Glyph of Dispersion is required, what prime do you drop? I'm pretty sure it would be sw: d. Is there anyone that could give a concrete answer preferably with the math to go along with it? Standard single target fight, no importance on execute phase.

#31 UnholY_Prince

UnholY_Prince

King Hippo

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

Just look at your damage breakdown in WoL and calculate wha'ts more of a DPS drop, halving your SW:D damage, taking 10% off your Mind Flay damage, or 10% off your SW: P damage. It'll depend on the fight and how long the execute phase is, how much you can multiDoT, etc. On Shannox or Bael Heroic where you're on one target SW: D glyph will come out to more. On Razor/Beth/Ryho where you can Dot multiple mobs and/or get a benefit from Haste, SW: P will come out to more.

#32 Szeretlek

Szeretlek

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

You are so lazy.
Run Simcraft next time.

Priest_Shadow_T12H profile, 10000 iterations, patchwerk style.
With standard set of glyphs: 35913
W/o SWD: 35136
W/o MF: 35212
W/o SWP: 35709

But I dont trust that results, because SimCraft gives very low numbers for SWD DPET w/o SWD glyph (bug of course) on execution phase (9k noncrit, 19k crit) and thats why dps goes down so massive.

#33 onceler21

onceler21

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

If you're glyphing dispersion for Baleroc (so you can use it for torments), replace SW: D glyph, without a doubt. You will have the Tormented debuff most of the time (500% increased shadow damage taken, or 250% on normal mode), which makes SW: D suicide.

I can't think of any other fights you'd want to glyph dispersion for.

#34 Turrin

Turrin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

If you're glyphing dispersion for Baleroc (so you can use it for torments), replace SW: D glyph, without a doubt. You will have the Tormented debuff most of the time (500% increased shadow damage taken, or 250% on normal mode), which makes SW: D suicide.

I can't think of any other fights you'd want to glyph dispersion for.

Or use your Mirror of Broken Images and forget about glyphing Dispersion, at least for normal mode.
Hurrah! Holy Smite DPS viability thread is closed!
Time to delete your , oh wait..

#35 UnholY_Prince

UnholY_Prince

King Hippo

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Or use your Mirror of Broken Images and forget about glyphing Dispersion, at least for normal mode.

He was talking about Heroic. You don't need to do anything special in Normal. In Heroic Spreists Dispersing Torment to high stacks is essential for healers to keep up with the damage.

#36 CaseyTheRetard

CaseyTheRetard

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

But I dont trust that results, because SimCraft gives very low numbers for SWD DPET w/o SWD glyph (bug of course) on execution phase (9k noncrit, 19k crit) and thats why dps goes down so massive.

Thanks for the bug report; this is fixed and will go live with the next release of SimC. To tide you over:

[TABLE]Profile|DPS|Delta
Base|34929|0
-SWD|34653|276
-SWP|34730|199
-MF|34260|669
[/TABLE]

#37 bologne

bologne

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

Please forgive me if this is a question rather pertaining to the simple questions / answer thread, however I believe that if it is the case, this should be mentioned in the main guide.

If you have a mastery proc such as , upon proccing this and then gaining ES, should you refresh your dots? If so, should you also refresh SWP or does the refresh from mind flay count?

Following this same logic, if you start the fight with DoTs, and then gain ES, should you then refresh your dots once more, or does this automatically update the damage? The reason for asking is because upon reading the DoT mechanics in the balance druid thread, it specifically says that DoTs take any damage buffs when cast, and do not update unless refreshed.

Regards

#38 Wyred

Wyred

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

If you have a mastery proc such as Theralion's Mirror, upon proccing this and then gaining ES, should you refresh your dots?

SW: P will refresh with mindflay, and so should not be considered. Imp. DP has a higher DPET than mindflay, so should always be refreshed with any proc such as power torrent or revelation immediately. VT it's a case-by-case basis as to when it will become a dps gain to refresh early.

#39 bologne

bologne

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

How about ES? If you apply DoTs at the beginning of a fight, and then 5 seconds down the line get a shadow orb allowing ES, should you also refresh your DP (and VT?) then as well, or do they update with ES?

If so, ES seems a very strange mastery mechanic forcing you to refresh spells.

#40 Kilee

Kilee

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

shadowpriest.com • View topic - Why Haste Plateaus Don't Exist

Read that, haste plateaus don't exist, just stick with your normal gearing.

Since the graph was made by me, I'd like a chance to explain it and why I feel haste plateaus do exist. The graph came from the work that was done in this thread on shadowpriest:

shadowpriest.com • View topic - Graph of stats as gear progresses (without DI).

There are definate visual plateaus for haste, and it's quite easy to find them and recreate them in simulationcraft.

Without DI:

After 1602 haste and 300 before 2589
After 2589 and 300 before 3202

With DI:

After 1602 haste and 300 before 2141
After 2141 and before 3202

The plateaus are harder to see with DI, and the stats tend to bleed together more with DI than without, but they do exist and they are there.

As for the stickied post that you referenced, "Why Haste Plateus Don't Exist", that thread is 8 months old and has shown very little data or research to back up its claims. And if you read the entire thread you can see there's quite a bit of debate as to whether the thread's descriptions are even accurate. The thread has a sliver of truth to it - it is worth roughly 40-50 intellect to reach past each plateau, and because of that you want to continue to stack haste as long as you can reach the next plateau. If you cannot reach the next one, however, you generally can get a bit higher dps by backing up to just above the highest one that you can reach.

I can take just about any set of gear you give me and demonstrate this phenomenon if you need examples. In any case I would be interested to read counter-views and further research on this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users