• This topic is locked This topic is locked
171 replies to this topic

#161 Taryn

Taryn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Does the /cancelaura Mind Melt sequence with AA/mind spike, work with only SPs that have T13 pieces, or does it also work well with new 85s without any tier pieces?

It is just for the 4 set bonus of the tier set.

#162 serrif

serrif

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

It is just for the 4 set bonus of the tier set.

Well you could also use it if you have a set or two of ticking dots and are spiking down something else. It allows you a shot of having your blast get an orb instead of a spike (at the cost of a chance to spawn an apparition from that same tick if you would have otherwise moved)

#163 Balkoth

Balkoth

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

While true, you're also making the cooldown a second and a half longer (since the cooldown starts when the spell is cast) in the hope a Shadow Orb might proc in that second and a half window from Shadow Word: Pain.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

#164 Telendaria

Telendaria

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

In the priority list, Mind Spike isn't even listed. Does that mean there's never a good time to use it?

#165 Ozzmar

Ozzmar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

In the priority list, Mind Spike isn't even listed. Does that mean there's never a good time to use it?

In a normal circumstance, no. Removing all of your damage-over-time spells for a mediocre direct-damage spell is a bad idea considering that it takes you at least 3 global cooldowns to get them all back up again. Again, in a normal circumstance, it's only useful as a nuke spell for low-health adds, or in PVP when you're trying to quickly polish off an enemy with a Mind Spike-Mind Blast combo.

Now, if you throw the current tier's 4-piece set bonus into the mix, things become a lot more interesting. You time Mind Blasts and Mind Spikes with your Shadowfiend's melee hits so that each spell consumes 3 orbs. It's great for burst phases like Burning Tendons on Spine of Deathwing.

#166 Ntrails

Ntrails

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

I use a nifty macro [I use a similar one for TotT with my rogue], /cast [@focus] mind sear (or use the same format for mind sear as the guide uses for dots) Set your focus to the tank at the beginning of the fight, and play as normal. When you need to cast mind sear, it automatically targets the tank with one button.

Can you not do something similar with

if (target hostile) mindsear on target of target.

Meaning when you target a hostile mob you mindsear the tank that it is inevitably targeting. Keeps focus free for other things.

What sort of Boss DPS should I be chasing? Just come back since BC, iLevel is like 380 not optimal.

#167 Szeretlek

Szeretlek

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

What sort of Boss DPS should I be chasing? Just come back since BC, iLevel is like 380 not optimal.

25-30k something?
Just run simcraft

#168 Nooska

Nooska

King Hippo

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

Can you not do something similar with

if (target hostile) mindsear on target of target.

Meaning when you target a hostile mob you mindsear the tank that it is inevitably targeting. Keeps focus free for other things.

Conditionals as such are not macroable, but what you are asking for should be doable;
/use [@targettarget, help][@target, help][] Mind Sear
The first checks if your targets target is friendly, if it is, thats your target. If your targets target isn't friendly, it checks whether your target is friendly, if it is, thats your target. The last one is a fall through that just casts Mind Sear at your target if neither of the first 2 are true so you don't have to struggle getting MS off in case your hostile target is targetting another hostile (like if its healing or such).

#169 netbeast

netbeast

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

Good evening all!

Unfortunately I MUST ask this question, since I am not able to find the answer on my own, most of the info on the net is very controversial.

What haste and mastery ratings should I be looking for as a shadow priest doing heroic DS?

My simcraft as well as wowreforge still shows me , that I should stack haste up until 3202, then mastery comes forward (with 3202 haste i have only around 12 mastery), however, in real life situations, my DPS is not as great, as my guild mates are doing much higher numbers with around 16 - 19 mastery.

my armory: Stillfresh @ Jaedenar - Game Guide - World of Warcraft

any help appreciated, thanks!

#170 vicdan

vicdan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

it doesn't seem like anyone has summarized it to far, but perhaps putting the detailed information about 4T13 Mind Spike usage into OP would be worthwhile.

HowToPriest has the longer writeup, but the gist of it seems to be:

• MF x2, clip after 2 ticks each time (stacks Evangelism to 5)
  • MS x2
  • SF
  • AA + SP trinket, if any (Bottled Wishes) + MB
  • MS x3
  • MF, clip as soon as MB becomes available
  • MB
  • MS x3
  • MF, clip as soon as MB becomes available
  • MB
This rotation lets you get off 3 3-orb Mind Blasts, all three while AA (and optionally trinket proc) are active, 2 of those MBs with guaranteed crit and the third nearly so, and aligns the MBs with the Shadowfiend's slower attacks by using the MF filler. It also doesn't scale well with Heroism/Bloodlust, because then you tend to simply get off extra no-orb MS casts. It may help if you cast SF while in melee range of the target.

In execution phase, MF can be replaced with a double SW:D as a filler before second MB (AA+MB,MS x3, SW:D x2, MB), and the third MB will still benefit from the triple orbs and AA. This would also give one the opportunity to move around a bit (SW:D and double-Mindmelt MBs being instant), increasing the chance of Shadowy Apparition procs.

Also, it may be worth noting that Engineering throws a minor wrench into this if you have Bottled Wishes, because Synapse Spring proc places a 10-second CD on it, which is something worth keeping in mind.

#171 vicdan

vicdan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Mind Melt causes a Mind Blast cast right after a Mind Spike to come immediately. As a result, it's guaranteed to be a 0 orb mind blast, instead of the more likely 3 orb mind blast if the fiend could get a swing in. As a result, it's advantageous to cancelaura Mind Melt to increase DPS in such a rotation.

This is a DPS loss because then the effective CD on your MB becomes close to 8 seconds, and you can't fit 3 3-orb MBs into SF/AA uptime, as the last MS will consume the last set of orbs. It's better to use MF as filler after 3 MSes, and clip it the moment MB comes off CD; this also gives SF's slower melee swing a chance to catch up (if you simply spam MS and then do MB with /cancelaura, you also have a significant chance of not getting an SF swing in time for MB benefit from the orbs).

#172 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10,255 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Because the Mists patch comes out tomorrow, this information is now obsolete and the thread will be closed. For the time being post questions in the MoP thread(s). New compendium posts will be coming as Mists itself gets into release.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users