• This topic is locked This topic is locked
437 replies to this topic

#21 boo-boo

boo-boo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

Here are a few tips from my experience. I didn't include anything that was already stated in the main article or other comments.

Anti-Magic Zone:
AMZ is the best utility an Unholy DK brings to a raid, and is alone a good enough reason not spec Frost. When used correctly, this will be your raid's strongest defensive CD. Do not be fooled by the tooltip to think it will only absorb the stated amount of damage. In reality, it will first absorb 75% of the next magical attack, and only THEN, if the amount absorbed exceeded the stated amount, it will vanish. Therefore, it works best when soaking single high-dmg attacks, and fails miserably soaking multiple low-dmg attacks. For example, total damage absorbed by an AMZ covering 25 raid members can easily exceed 1,000,000 (vs Majordomo's Flame Scythe, Rhyolith's Concussive Stomp). Fortunately, there are many useful chances to use it in Firelands, when timed correctly. Some were already mentioned, and others will be mentioned below. Precise timing is an issue when other low dmg magic attacks risk breaking the AMZ before the big dmg hits. Note also that dmg taken from a shaman's "Spirit Link Totem" is absorbed by the AMZ and can break it, and so the two should not be used together. Personally, i keep Blood Tap ready for fights requiring precise timing for AMZ. It's worth it. Also, try to use AMS separately from AMZ, for maximum total dmg reduction.

Lord Rhyolith:
- It is impossible to jump in order to avoid Concussive Stomp. Random resists are most likely the cause for this misconception.
- AMS is best used on every other stomp.
- Use AMZ on stomps when AMS is on CD, but not too close to phase 2.
- In phase 2, especially on HC, have your raid stack and cast AMZ to soak one of the Stomps. Other magic attacks can break AMZ here, cast it just before the Stomp cast finishes.
- in phase 2, use AMZ, AMS and IBF on separate Stomps, for maximum dmg reduction.

Alysrazor:
- in Vortex phase, if you are confident in your abilities, use AMS and touch a tornado to start the nuke phase with full RP.
- use AMZ to soak the strong Full Power ability at the end of the grounded phase. As soon as the Alysrazor reaches 100 energy, pop AMZ – precise timing is needed.
- use Unholy Frenzy on one of the tanks. Tank dmg done will increase far more than yours ever will, due to the 1000% buff. Best time to cast would be when tank has full Vengence, probably around 20 secs after the Hatchlings spawn. Another possible target for your UF is a flying melee/hunter.
- if you wiped, have the raid stack before the pull and pop AMZ right at the start, before the knockback, to negate some incoming dmg.
- use your ghoul's Gnaw, or (if tranformed) Leap for extra interupts, when needed.

Majordomo Staghelm:
- (possibly inaccurate and will be tested further. see following comment) Manually bring your ghoul to the front of the boss to share Flame Scythe dmg if your healers are having problems. On HC, if your tank is attempting to soak a Scythe alone and is having trouble, send your ghoul to help him reduce the damage by half, and re-summon it.

Ragnaros:
- Keep an eye on your ghoul, and make sure he always attacks the boss from behind. Movement in transition phases can result in him attacking from the front.
- In phase 2, use AMS just before Molten Seeds are cast, their initial dmg is much more dangerous than the dmg they cause when they burst.
- in transition phases, use your ghoul's Gnaw ability to stun your target. This ability is often overlooked and is extremely helpful here. If you're having trouble using it, try disabling your ghoul Claw auto-cast when the transition phase begins, and enabling it back after a successful Gnaw. Useful macro commands:
/petautocasttoggle claw
/petautocaston claw
/petautocastoff claw
- aim to stack 5 Shadow Infusion charges on your ghoul just before a transition phase, and transform it right before your assigned add becomes active. The extra burst damage, longer Gnaw duration, and Leap being turned into a charge+stun ability are all extremely beneficial.
- In the last phase, there are no more magical attacks for AMS to soak. Feel free to step into the lava or into Engulfing Flames to charge up on RP.
- In the last phase, while kiting a Meteor, remember that your diseases are still ticking and your ghoul is still swinging. This means that roughly a third of your dmg is still being dealt while kiting, making you a preferred kiter in your group. Hold on as long as you can, don’t let dps meters get the better of you.

#22 Jepson

Jepson

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Majordomo Staghelm:
- Manually bring your ghoul to the front of the boss to share Flame Scythe dmg if your healers are having problems. On HC, if your tank is attempting to soak a Scythe alone and is having trouble, send your ghoul to help him reduce the damage by half, and re-summon it.

Our guild tested this a while back. Ghouls and other pets do take damage from the Scythe, but pets taking damage doesn't reduce the Scythe damage to players. We had at least 6 pets stacking in the raid for first Scythe and then sent them away for the second one. I think the damage we got was about 90k per person for both of them and if pets would've mattered, the second one should've been at least 110k per person.

Of course it's still possible that replacing players with pets in front of the boss works so that you can have e.g. 4 melees behind the boss and 4 pets in front of him and rest of the raid takes same damage than they would if all players were in front of him.

#23 izzorts

izzorts

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

hand of ragnoros can be stealed with dark sim on ragnaros.
blazing heat from scions can be immuned if u use ams before the 3 sec timer runs out

#24 Taiyoken

Taiyoken

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

Shannox: If an Immolation Trap is beside melee, you can use discretion to AMS + run over the trap for some RP (either if Hurl Spear just passed or if you are standing too far for the spear to do damage to you anyway.

Shannox is Taunt-immune, so spamming Dark Command/Death Grip can give you a higher proc rate on Rune of the Fallen Crusader

Lord Rhyolith: The legs are also Taunt-immune so you can get more RotFC uptime.

Lord Rhyolith: If a Spark of Rhyolith is ever near the feet, put up diseases on the Spark and pestilence them on to the feet, the reasoning is because the disease damage is amplified from the Spark's stacks.

Beth'tilac (H): When a Cinderweb Drone fixates someone, you can get off a Taunt/DG (although I would save DG to pull down a Spinner) to prolong your RotFC stacks (very minimal, but it's still there)

Ragnaros: Taunt will push the meteor back, so if your ranged doesn't push it back in time you can use Dark Command in order to save Runes/RP to damage Rag.

#25 Pintofbrew

Pintofbrew

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

While taunt spam will net you more 3% heals from FC, the Str buff is on a ICD, so I doubt you're gaining anything with the taunts.

How much does a stolen Hand of Ragnaros deal?

#26 Otou

Otou

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

How much does a stolen Hand of Ragnaros deal?

Spell details for Hand of Ragnaros

It's about 45k on heroic 25, and I think it was 34k on normal 25. Crits ignore runic focus and do 150% normal damage. Definitely worthwhile to steal every chance you get. Also, if you get lucky with the timing of the phase change, you can use it to knock back the sons of flame.

#27 izzorts

izzorts

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

ive had a 70k crit on hand of rag on 25 man hc mode
And u will be immune to the buff that spawns the fire from scions if u use ams within the 3 seconds u have before the actual debuff will be applied if u use your ams there

#28 boo-boo

boo-boo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

I have tested proccing of Rune of the Fallen Crusader by Dark Command, and this is what i found: RotFC can proc only if the target is NOT immune to taunt, and the 3 sec Dark Command debuff is successfully applied to the target. so using it on Shannox, for example, will not be beneficial at all.
it is possible, however, to focus a Critter before a fight starts, and spam a "/cast [@focus] Dark Command" macro throughout the fight, while keeping your ghoul occupied so that he doesnt kill the critter. of course, the effort put into this will not be worth the unnoticeable results.

as for Pintofbrew's comment - RotFC has no internal CD, and the buff Unholy Strength can theoretically hold indefinitely.

i would like to ask a question of my own now:
considering our Diseases' damage over time is affected by our Attack Power at the moment of application, is it a dps gain to start a fight with Icy Touch + Plague Strike, and later on to re-apply diseases with some procs, such as RotFC, str potion, trinkets and engineers' Synapse Springs? keep in mind that our diseases tick for more than 60 secs, courtasy of Festering Strike, and that FS itself only extends the duration of the diseases, keeping their original tick dmg. new tick dmg will be determined only by using Outbreak or Icy Touch & Plague Strike.
please backup your opinion with either math or simulation results

#29 Illundai

Illundai

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'd like to reiterate that heroic Vessel of Acceleration will in no way be BiS for Unholy. The trinket's uptime is absolutely atrocious in many cases the buff drops off without even stacking to two. I have one because I was playing Frost but since we got three Sulfuras on our kill yesterday I decided to try Unholy.

Pass for your Warrior, Ret Paladin and Frost DK brethen on Vessel. Our BiS will remain HoR and CW.

#30 optional22

optional22

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

Ragnaros, any phase:
If you know no magic damage is coming for some reason, or just really need it, you can AMS and jump into magma for a tick for a full RP bar.

Ragnaros, P1:
While it's definitely true you can DS twice during P1 (and you should), if you find your raid DPS to be rather high in P1, you can actually save the Hand of Ragnaros for the upcoming Sons transition. It will knock back all Sons in the area - a useful extra. Raid DPS has to be pretty high during P1 - I found that if I can get the second DS when Ragnaros is at 71% (in heroic), then I can cast Hand of Ragnaros on the Sons. Otherwise, DS will reset. Test it for yourself.

Ragnaros Sons transition phases:
Although magic damage goes out during each Sons phase, you will want to save your AMS for Molten Seeds (P2), which comes immediately after the first Sons phase. Feel free to pre-emptively hit AMS during the final Sons transition to avoid the raid-wide Lava Bolt damage (and get a nice damage boost).

Ragnaros, P3:
Ideally, you won't take damage in this phase at all. If you are, you're doing it wrong. If you notice yourself getting out of Engulfing Flame late, you can pre-emptively pop AMS and prevent damage from being taken. You can also jump in the Scorched Ground (fire on the ground after Lava Waves) for some easy RP. Getting hit by a Lava Wave intentionally is a bad idea. It may knock you over the edge or away from melee range.

For Ragnaros P4:
You will likely be focused on killing it and being done with the fight. In this case, save AMS for when you need to get out of Breath of Frost for whatever reason (kiting meteor, Breath of Frost blows up, etc). Don't forget to IBF here as it can save your life. Try to save whatever CDs you have up for killing meteors and/or when Ragnaros gets rooted in place.

If you're going the dangerous route, if you need RP, jump out of the Breath of Frost, let yourself build up a few stacks of Superheated and then AMS for a ton of RP. Dreadflames are a viable alternative if you're impatient. This is, of course, very dangerous considering you might need that AMS very soon.

I'm glad I finally get to contribute to the T12 raid mechanics section!

#31 rh8452

rh8452

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hand of Rag is good for Sons, but is pretty dependent on your raid's DPS consistently pushing him over just after he does the cast. Our raid has him do that cast around 73% so I DS it then save it till he pushes over for extra burst on him during the 10 seconds you get to damage him before he sinks under. As all damage done to him during that 10 second window is essentially free damage to shorten the next phase, using it for that purpose seems best unless your raid lacks knockbacks.

Our raid (and most) found frost DKs are simply better for that particular fight due to almost the entirety of phases 3 and 4 being sub-35%, where all relevant frost specials do 12% more damage. Getting double execute phases is huge.

#32 Omedus

Omedus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:21 AM

Tier 13 set bonuses:

DPS, 2P -- Sudden Doom has a 30% chance and Rime has a 60% chance to grant 2 charges when triggered instead of 1.
DPS, 4P -- Runic Empowerment has a 25% chance and Runic Corruption has a 40% chance to also grant 710 mastery rating for 12 sec when activated.

#33 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

The way the bonuses interact with each other is quite nice for Unholy.

2P means we get to use Death Coil more often. That on its own is a nice bonus thanks to the majority of Unholy's mechanics being based off DC. The 4P makes this even more potent by rewarding us with 710 Mastery, which in turn causes our DC's and SS's to hit harder.

The system is brought down a bit because of the percent chances, but when nearly a fifth of our DC's grant us 710 Mastery we're still getting a solid boost. Even if we assume a 50% uptime on the 4P, that's still a constant 355 Mastery, or 5% bonus Shadow damage. At 50% it's comparable to a trinket. If RNG favors us and grants 100% uptime then it's comparable to two trinkets of course, and nets us a little under 10% more Shadow damage. It's no Haste proc, but it's still quite nice.

#34 tinkii

tinkii

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

The 2P seems quite useless as i don´t need any extra DC's. I run with ~2800 haste, so there is no space for an extra global most of the time. Also if there is more haste on the gear with 4.3 I can image mastery being more usefull than haste.

The 4P seems more like a simple dps boost, nothing more to say.

#35 Pintofbrew

Pintofbrew

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

The 2P seems quite useless as i don´t need any extra DC's. I run with ~2800 haste, so there is no space for an extra global most of the time.

Saying it's useless because you're geared in a way that minimizes it's effectiveness is not correct. Arguably, you could drop a lot of haste for mastery, significantly increasing your mastery and maintain the same GCD-locked status. Only this time you'd be gaining a lot of haste's effect from the set bonus instead of the gear.

#36 Matron Heartless

Matron Heartless

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

I'd like to reiterate that heroic Vessel of Acceleration will in no way be BiS for Unholy.

Apologies. Reading through the list again, Trinket 2 was listed incorrectly and, silly me, I thought I had edited it last revision with the other BiS adjustments! It reads properly now for (H) HoR & CW.

#37 Illundai

Illundai

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

Unholy Might now increases Strength by 25%, up from 20%.

If in doubt, tweak Unholy Might... Don't think it's enough to only change this, but maybe I'm wrong.

#38 Maikro

Maikro

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

In BiS at this tier it would be about a 300 Str increase give or take....I really hope its enough as I am thoroughly over the RNG of Frost DPS at this point and am anxiously hoping UH pulls ahead in 4.3.

#39 Bowsersaur

Bowsersaur

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

Tooltip change

edit:

link for support, as posted by Euliat on 8/15/11:

[Bug] Death Coil Tooltip AP Coefficient - Forums - World of Warcraft

The DC change is a tooltip fix. The strength change is an awesome buff for UH.

simcraft:
Simulationcraft Results

#40 Maikro

Maikro

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

Bowser, are you referring to the Death Coil change as a tooltip change only?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users