• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#41 Vespasian

Vespasian

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

I got a chance to test the new Fire Nova mechanic in a raid environment. It's obviously highly situational, but when it works, it works.

Enh AoE.mp4 - YouTube

This char is 378 geared (copied over long ago) and my handling of the new rotation was garbage. There is a lot more than can be pushed out here.

Note the mobility aspect; while moving I gained some 10k dps due to my aoe; there are few specs who are able to produce those sort of numbers while moving.

As I said: highly situational, but good when it works.

#42 Sidira

Sidira

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

I have not had the opportunity to play around on PTR as of yet. For those who have, does the FS cleave make the searing totem AI go nuts or does it stick on the initial FS target?

#43 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

I have not had the opportunity to play around on PTR as of yet. For those who have, does the FS cleave make the searing totem AI go nuts or does it stick on the initial FS target?

New mechanic seemed to be acting like Ritalin for my searing totem. Stayed on the initial target and felt very controllable compared to live where mouse-over flame shocking tends to make it act wonky.

I got a chance to test the new Fire Nova mechanic in a raid environment. It's obviously highly situational, but when it works, it works.

Enh AoE.mp4 - YouTube

Damn, that looked like a ton of fun! Thanks for sharing!

#44 Sidira

Sidira

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

New mechanic seemed to be acting like Ritalin for my searing totem. Stayed on the initial target and felt very controllable compared to live where mouse-over flame shocking tends to make it act wonky.

Does that hold true if you re-drop while there are numerous FS out?

#45 Vespasian

Vespasian

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

My experience is different to Rouncer's. I can confirm that on many occasions, after I cleaved my FS onto numerous targets, my ST would change target (i.e. start hitting a target that I am not currently attacking). I did not test if re-dropping my ST corrected this behaviour. I will monitor this more closely next time I am on PTR.

#46 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

My experience is different to Rouncer's. I can confirm that on many occasions, after I cleaved my FS onto numerous targets, my ST would change target (i.e. start hitting a target that I am not currently attacking). I did not test if re-dropping my ST corrected this behaviour. I will monitor this more closely next time I am on PTR.

Could be that they changed the behavior to make magma more attractive during AE but it was definitely staying locked for me when I last tested it.

#47 Waggles

Waggles

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

Now that UE affects the cleaved FS dots, I have a new question: at what point (# of mobs with FS dots, duration of said mobs, etc.) does UE become more effective when used with FN as opposed to FS?

Could be that they changed the behavior to make magma more attractive during AE . . .

I would tend to agree. And on a similar subject, at what point will going from ST to MT be better AE dps than sticking with searing and hoping that it stays focused on the main target? Always stays on the main target?

#48 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

I would tend to agree. And on a similar subject, at what point will going from ST to MT be better AE dps than sticking with searing and hoping that it stays focused on the main target? Always stays on the main target?

It was 6 targets last time I did the math if you can be sure that searing totem is hitting your primary target so your LL will be consuming a 5 stack. Without that, I think it was 4 targets to be worth the swap.

#49 Vespasian

Vespasian

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

I am interested to know how many targets the FS dot be active on at any point in time. I am aware of the mathematical possibilities, but is there a cap imposed? Will it be possible to tab target onto a 6th FS target?

Further to this, if we cleave a FS off our target how does the AI handle which targets will become affected by the cleave? If a nearby target already has FS dot, will it refresh that or go to a different target? If it goes to a different target, what is the maximum number of targets that it will go to?

Finally, is there a limit to the number of targets that will 'explode' when using Nova?

I am thinking about the value of the FS glyph on certain Dragon Soul encounters. A 30 sec FS dots opens up a lot of AOE DPS potential if there are no caps imposed, and if cleaving priorities unaffected targets.

#50 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

As far as I could tell there was no cap outside of the AE cap on individual fire nova explosions. It won't refresh an active flame shock and it won't apply flame shock to a CCed target. Multi-dot spreading just reduces the number of available targets for the spread, so if there are enough targets then multi-dotting should be an effective strategy.

Napkin math had it at 17 targets when glyphed, with reverb, and spreading without concern for the duration of the spread flame shock, ie it would only be 17 targets for a very limited window and then some flame shocks would start to expire. 16 targets should be far more maintainable by using an alternating system of multi-dotting a flame shock and then refreshing the existing flame shock on your lava lash primary target. 13 targets without multi-dotting but with refreshing FS just prior to LL spread.

Without glyph you are looking at 11 for maintainable spread with multi-dotting, reverb, and refreshing prior to spread. Without multi-dotting it drops to 9 targets.

Reverberation seems to make multi-dotting far more functional. Without reverb it's looking like it might be better to hold the shock cooldown till just before the LL spread. Whether that will change reverberation's valuation seems to be the real question here. The glyph is definitely something we should plan on using whenever there will be more then 11 targets (9 targets without reverb) present for any significant duration.

#51 Hothgor

Hothgor

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:22 AM

No'Kaled, the Elements of Death - Item - World of Warcraft

My guilds fellow Enhancement Shaman got one of these bad boys, and we were able to do some preliminary testing on the dummies on the PTR:

For Certain:
  • CAN proc off of SS
  • CAN proc off of LL
  • CAN proc off of White attacks
  • DOES benefit from Mastery
  • Crits for 150% damage

Possibilities:
  • Can Proc off Unleash Wind
  • Has a 10 second ICD

From what we could tell, it does not seem to proc off of Windfury attacks, but it DID seem to proc from Unleash Wind according to the log. I wasn't able to test the ICD accurately quite yet, though I know it must be 10 seconds or less as we got several back to back LL procs. Un-equipping and re-equipping gear with mastery on it definitely affected tooltip damage (and we were seeing some 30-40k crits), but popping an agi potion for pure ap->sp changed nothing. I will have a log uploaded sometime soon for you guys to pour over, but this should get us started.

Edit: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis
Item Comparison 4.0.3c - For easy EnhSim item comparisons to determine if your next piece of loot is right for you!

#52 happycrustaceon

happycrustaceon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

No'Kaled, the Elements of Death - Item - World of Warcraft

Possibilities:

• Can Proc off Unleash Wind
  • Has a 10 second ICD

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Flameblast procced back to back within < 2 seconds, followed by another proc 4 seconds later. I'm not going to say that it doesn't have an ICD, but if it does it's extremely short (< 2 seconds).

#53 Quirk

Quirk

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Any idea if Flameblast ever 'consumed' UE-FT? It doesn't look as though it did in my brief log search, but the considerably higher average damage over Iceblast makes me wonder. If it doesn't consume UE-FT then perhaps it benefits from the buff -without- consuming it.. or the innate damage range on Flameblast is just that much higher. Something to look for.

#54 Ontheroxorz

Ontheroxorz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

Any idea if Flameblast ever 'consumed' UE-FT? It doesn't look as though it did in my brief log search, but the considerably higher average damage over Iceblast makes me wonder. If it doesn't consume UE-FT then perhaps it benefits from the buff -without- consuming it.. or the innate damage range on Flameblast is just that much higher. Something to look for.

According to that log it does not consume UF and the damage increases don't appear to line up with the UF up-time. The swing in damage you are seeing is more a confirmation that the proc is affected by Mastery as some of those higher damage procs do line up with his trinket buffs.

#55 Shambells

Shambells

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

According to that log it does not consume UF and the damage increases don't appear to line up with the UF up-time. The swing in damage you are seeing is more a confirmation that the proc is affected by Mastery as some of those higher damage procs do line up with his trinket buffs.

But if the fire damage is modified by mastery then why wouldn't the frost damage receive similar treatment? I mean, I could understand if we were talking about the shadow proc instead.

#56 Rouncer

Rouncer

Deeper Shade of Blue

• Allied Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

But if the fire damage is modified by mastery then why wouldn't the frost damage receive similar treatment? I mean, I could understand if we were talking about the shadow proc instead.

[23:25:01.450] Goombamfx Flameblast Raider's Training Dummy 21673
[23:24:54.998] Goombamfx Iceblast Raider's Training Dummy 22229

Most likely both are benefiting from the same Matrix proc which is why both of their damages is that high and so close in value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users