• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 Necromos

Necromos

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

In order for rune of power to be better than invocation (for arcane mages at least) the mana regen it gives would have to be at least as good as the regen we currently enjoy from Mage armor. If the regen isn't as good, invocation will be my choice, due to endless burn phases without the need for evocations cooldown.

On a side note, i can see incanters shield as being much more situational, requiring either a high incoming damage fight, as discussed already, or an "I'm standing in the fire to regen mana." it strikes me as a more pvp talent, except if glyph of evocation still regens health. With evocation having no cooldown with invocation, it probably won't survive as a glyph.

Edit: for another thing, raid leaders may require us to spec rune of power for prolonged fights to help healers/other mana dps classes regen mana. I'm assuming rune of power works on anyone who stands in it.

Edit again: yeah on second reading of tooltip the word "your" makes me think I'm wrong about others benefitting from runes

Edit by Heef: As discussed in the warning for this post, please do not post misinformation. I am leaving this post in the thread because it does include some relevant discussion, if not in-depth (we are not going to have the numbers to figure out the true merits of these talents for a while). But please be careful in using the informtion that we *do* have properly.

#42 Sunaseni

Sunaseni

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

I spent some time calculating the strengths of the buffs to our level 90 talents (Invocation, Rune of Power, Incanter's Shield), and they all look to be roughly even after the beta went up.

During Invocation, you'll spend 6 seconds casting Evocation regularly in order to keep up the buff. The multiplier to your base damage done would be calculated as: (100% * (n - 46) + 130% * 40 + 0 * 6) / n. Where n is the number of seconds between evocations. We spend 40 seconds under the 30% damage buff, 6 seconds doing no damage while evocating, then the rest spend under normal damage. The maximum buff uptime would equate to n = 46, which means we'll have an average multiplier of 113%.

In a Rune of Power, if you are really skilled/lucky and only cast a new one every 58.5 seconds, your damage multiplier would be: (115% * 58.5 + 0 * 1.5) / 60 = 112.125%. Even if you have to cast it once every 30 seconds due to phase changes that invalidate your old rune of power, the multiplier would be reduced to 109.25%.

Incanter's Shield is the hardest to predict without knowing how regularly damage comes, if the spell naturally expiring counts as it being "destroyed", and if we can reliably force it to break with maximum damage. Assuming that you can break it on cooldown, which maximizes the spellpower multiplier, it would be: (1 * (23.5 - 15) + 1.3 * 15 + 0 * 1.5) / 25 = 112%. Whether the spellpower boost is better than the damage multiplier would depend on the spellpower coefficients, and whether the shield can be broken. However, it does double duty in protecting you from damage with a shield equal to 30% of your mana pool.

In short, assuming these numbers hold, whichever one suits the boss mechanics or playstyle would probably win out. Rune of Power has the strength of only needing to be maintained every minute or so, but it restricts your movement to the little rune you place on the ground, and ground AOEs may invalidate the buff for a short while. Invocation makes you unable to run out of mana under any circumstance, and you can sync it up very easily for more powerful cooldowns. But, it has a drawback in that if you start evocating at a wrong time and have to move, you don't get a buff and you waste more time recasting it. It'll heavily punish those who are unable to properly time evocations with boss mechanics. Incanter's Shield is highly dependent on fight mechanics before we can fully evaluate its power, but its protection may allow you to survive otherwise deadly situations.

#43 Bowchikabow

Bowchikabow

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Don't forget, Sunaseni: You may have 2 RoP's at one time, and there is only a 10sec cooldown. Movement fights will still carry penalties, and I would agree that even with this in mind, the value of RoP would be decreased slightly. I don't think the loss will be as great though, unless there are a lot of fights like p2 Marrowgar (1st boss in ICC) where the movement is constant, and not linear in terms of "move from A to B then back to A".
"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

#44 Fennor Angrithon Virastar

Fennor Angrithon Virastar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

WoW Warcraft - Mists of Pandaria Beta - Mage Class Talent Tree & Spec Detailed Look - YouTube There is already a modified version of invocation in beta. The multiplier for invocation is 1.13 now. Also Incanter's shield now only provides 15% mana. If we regenerate 1% mana per second (I think this was mentioned somewhere) Incanter's shield provides less mana than the other two talents without evocation and slightly more when using evocation on CD, but using evocation reduceses the multiplier from 1.12 to 1.07

#45 Kyrilon

Kyrilon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Quick-hit thoughts on beta Frost:

1. Shatter now increases Crit chance against Frozen targets by 2x+40%, and increases Frostbolt damage against frozen targets by 20%. So our Shatter Crit cap for MoP appears to be scheduled at 30%, assuming no Crit suppression.

2. Brain Freeze is now proc'ed ONLY by your level 75 bomb talent, so uptime on that will be critical. Brain Freeze no longer interacts with FoF.

3. Frost Orb's animation is slick. SLICK. However, 10k mana per cast, given a 100k mana pool, seems prohibitively high to maintain usage in a rotation. Level 90 mana regen talents may improve this outlook.

4. Deep Freeze no longer causes damage to Freeze-immune targets (tested on dummy).

5. Water Elemental actions are currently broken after first-time use. Have to resummon to get the buttons and CTRL bindings working again.

6. Fingers of Frost: Successful Frostbolts and FFBs have a 15% chance, Frozen Orb hits have a 35% chance, and Scorch has a 10% chance to proc FoF. Also, Freeze effects against Immune targets always proc FoF. FoF causes IL and DF to treat targets as Frozen, and IL damage is increased by 25% for 15 seconds.

That last bit intrigues me. Glyphed Fingers of Frost provides a third charge, and testing on the dummy shows that the 25% increase boosts FoF/Shattered ILs after the first IL triggering hit, so it looks like the rotation will be something along the lines of:

1. Keep [Tier 5] Bomb on CD (cast time + duration is currently shorter than CD, so no 100% uptime)
2. Frost Orb?
3. Brain Freeze
4. If 3 stacks of glyphed FoF, dump into IL
5. Frostbolt

Given this basic rotation, Haste appears to once again be the primary stat, with Crit being useful to 30% and DR thereafter. Mastery will likely take a back seat, though the average percentages of damage between Frostbolt and IL will inform that decision.

Edit: clarified FoF IL interaction, as the 25% damage bonus does not affect the first triggering IL charge. Also, all three Tier 5 bombs have the potential to proc Brain Freeze, and it is not perfectly clear which bomb will have the highest proc rate/damage output based on x number of targets. Testing ongoing.

#46 HowToReadPreviousPosts

HowToReadPreviousPosts

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

During Invocation, you'll spend 6 seconds casting Evocation regularly in order to keep up the buff. The multiplier to your base damage done would be calculated as: (100% * (n - 36) + 120% * 30 + 0 * 6) / n. Where n is the number of seconds between evocations. We spend 30 seconds under the 20% damage buff, 6 seconds doing no damage while evocating, then the rest spend under normal damage. If you simplify it, you will find that all the terms cancel and you're left doing 100% of your potential damage. The damage buff exactly cancels the time you spend evocating so long as you don't cut the buff off short, and your evocation isn't cancelled.

As you've maybe seen in the video above, Invocation now grants 30% increased spell damage for 40 secs, This would be an increase of 113% in total damage [ = (130% * 40s + 0 * 6s) / 46s ]
In conclusion then, this makes the spell damage boost of Invocation and Ring of Power almost equivalent.

#47 Skem

Skem

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

[Any Mage Spec] Glyph of evocation is a bit of equaliser in terms of quantifing the benifit of + health from Tier 6 talents

Regain 15% mana instantly and 45% over the next 6s, Cooldown 120s

No Glyph
Innovaction: + 0 health
Rune of Power: + 0 health
Incanter's Shield: + 0 health, upto 30% of mana as damage reduction- there is some risk with this as spell is 25s cd, while shield last 8s

With Glyph
Innovaction: regain 30% health
Rune of Power: +1% health every second
Incanter's Shield: regain 60% health

Personally I think Incanter's Shield is a little too situational and carries alot of potenital for 'user error' with the Glyph, Rune of Power is looking to me as a goto for damage heavy and Innovation for pure mana dumping DPS

#48 Astynax7

Astynax7

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

[Any Mage Spec]
Personally I think Incanter's Shield is a little too situational and carries alot of potenital for 'user error' with the Glyph, Rune of Power is looking to me as a goto for damage heavy and Innovation for pure mana dumping DPS

I agree. I read the sheild as a PvP usage. Something a mage pops as a second sheild that will also restore his mana. I doubt it's something we'll see a lot(or even at all depending on the encounters we see and math I have no ability to do) in endgame raids.

What I think is most intriguing is the dichotomy between invocation/rune of power. What is our mana regen going to look like exactly? (Someone said 1% Max mana/sec?) And in that case, does 200% mana regen cover for the free 45% mana over 6 secs (and 15% instant mana just for a 1 sec GCD)? Also, will the extra mana regen allow a mage to all-out nuke the enemies up? I mean, is rune of power enough extra that standing on it solves all your woes? Given our current paltry regen, the answer is no, but fire also rarely runs oom in most of my experiences. But arcane is a quite different story, although it too looks more mana efficient than in past iterations. I guess the questios are:
Does RoP's mana regen = enoguh that we won't be oom halfway through the boss without our evocation?
Does invocation allow us to nuke better than RoP?(although this is in some ways the same question, but setup to allow for changes to the rotation to 100% maximize Dps)
Does the free 1 sec = 15% mana regen makeup for something in that case?(even without the buffed power)
What about the what I can do with just using my one GCD? Does popping invocate, then dropping something off the GCD, then resuming casting effect my DPS, and how?
Will Rune of Power let me keep my procs up better, since I don't have to waste 6 secs channeling?(ignorable if you use invocation as a 1sec GCD free 15%mana)
And finally, if any of these are the case, how does that change the numbers we saw before in this thread? (thank you poster btw)

Alternatively, (although i may be speaking blasphemy in this group) did Blizzard accomplish their goal? Are the two.... I'm going to call them "raid" talents, actually so similar as to be approximately equivalent? Is the only difference a playstyle difference? *faints at the idea that a Blizzard system revamp could ever actually accomplish this goal so well*

#49 Pasture

Pasture

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

But arcane is a quite different story, although it too looks more mana efficient than in past iterations. I guess the questios are:
Does RoP's mana regen = enoguh that we won't be oom halfway through the boss without our evocation?

This seems a little moot for arcane while the mastery remains as it is. Arcane doesn't really make sense without Evocation. There's no potential to dump mana into damage via Arcane Blast which entirely defeats the purpose of the stacking effect. RoP doesn't seem like a very viable option for Arcane. Being at 35% of mana for the latter half of the fight might be fine for the other specs but it does not compliment Arcane.

#50 Astynax7

Astynax7

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

This seems a little moot for arcane while the mastery remains as it is. Arcane doesn't really make sense without Evocation. There's no potential to dump mana into damage via Arcane Blast which entirely defeats the purpose of the stacking effect. RoP doesn't seem like a very viable option for Arcane. Being at 35% of mana for the latter half of the fight might be fine for the other specs but it does not compliment Arcane.

True, under the current system, but i thought I saw that Arcane Blast was getting a lower mana cost, which would mean your regen would be approximately enough to keep up with most of your casting it, with a few missiles here and there. Also wowhead is reporting the mechanics to allow this strategy very well. However, if the arcane spells remain expensive to cast, then that pigeonholes arcane into one choice: invocation. This is contrary to what Blizzard says it's trying to do, which makes the new changes to arcane believable to me. I guess what i'm saying is: under the current system, you're 100% correct, but i was under the impression that they were making changes to allow it to not matter(or be situational) for all specs.
(This is pure speculation on my part) If so, we might see arcane become a very mana efficient spec with a few dumps to give massive bursts of damage.

#51 Skem

Skem

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

We need to be mindful that while evocation is an accepted part of the Arcane spec because all T6 are about mana regeneration it could be a change that all specs will need to manage mana in a proactive way rather than passive. For example the specs no longer have access to each others key spells, meaning that optimising Fireball's mana for Fire spec, so it can play out as intended, wont make it more attractive to the other specs

IMO It would be a major failure on blizzards behalf if spec dictated this talent spend

Invocation: Arcane
Rune of Power: Fire
Incatner's Shield Frost

#52 Astynax7

Astynax7

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

We need to be mindful that while evocation is an accepted part of the Arcane spec because all T6 are about mana regeneration it could be a change that all specs will need to manage mana in a proactive way rather than passive.
IMO It would be a major failure on blizzards behalf if spec dictated this talent spend

Invocation: Arcane
Rune of Power: Fire
Incatner's Shield Frost

I agree. The way these talents are set up, I see them as being a major mechanics change to all mage dynamics. The sheer fact that an entire tier is focused on one spell makes me think that they're bringing some extra dynamics to the class. Rather than the same basic principles being kept for all specs (and changing only certain rotations or casting combos) mages appear to be getting their own identity where it might be possible for a fire mage and a frost mage to play drastically different, eve before endgame content. However, will these talents gear towards a certain spec, a certain boss, or a certain playstyle? I'm not on beta, therefore, I don't know the answers to these questions.

#53 nathanbp

nathanbp

Great Tiger

•  Patrons
  • 991 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

Interesting new find from mmo-champion: Nether Attunement: New. Your spell haste also increases your mana regeneration, and the effect of mana restores from Mage spells.

This means that our rotations can stay the same with respect to mana no matter how much haste we have. It also raises some interesting tactics, for example Arcane could burn lower during heroism and then have a larger Evocation to still get back to full mana.

If you have to control a robot dinosaur that fires lazers and there's a time when you shouldn't be shooting those lazers then the encounter is clearly flawed beyond hope of fixing.

#54 Dylar

Dylar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

With mana attunement being added, it looks like rune of power will be far superior to invocation (for arcane) for any fights without too much movement between more than two areas (as invocation removes passive mana regeneration). Even during helter-skelter type encounters, rune of power might still be better than invocation, even with the dps loss from casting rune of power more than once a minute. Haste will also further synergize with arcane mastery, most likely being the superior stat.

#55 Guromin

Guromin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Lhivera made an interesting post about the normalized ceofficent data in Mists. Based on the data that can be found here, these are my observations.

Fire spell damage:
[TABLE=head] Spell| Coefficient
Pyroblast| 4.216
Living Bomb |2.085
Fireball |1.884
Inferno Blast |0.789
[/TABLE]

Fire spells normalized for cast times:
Pyroblast (Hot Streak)| 2.811
Living Bomb | 1.390
Pyroblast |1.205
Fireball |0.754
Inferno Blast| 0.526
[/TABLE]

Based on the data from the normalized table hard-casting Pyroblast could exceed the damage from casting Fireball. This, of course, does not include the benefits of casting quicker spells to increase the odds of a Hot Streak proc, however, with the addition of Inferno Blast it may be a viable option to hard cast Pyroblast. Since Inferno Blast has an 8 second CD the benefit from more spells hitting the boss is reduced. Acquiring one crit from casting Pyroblast every 8 seconds seems as thought it would be a viable method of dps if Pyroblast remains higher damage per second than Fireball.

Arcane has undergone a much greater amount of change than Fire based on the beta. I very, very quickly realized that the days of spamming Arcane Blast until the boss dies are over. Each stack of Arcane Charge increases the mana cost of Arcane Blast by 125%, which makes use of the spell at 4 stacks unpractical. Further analysis of the normalized coefficient data provides more evidence to support the termination of Arcane Blast spamming.

Arcane Missiles (4 charges)| 3.240
Arcane Missiles (3 charges)| 2.835
Arcane Blast (4 charges)| 2.588
Arcane Missiles (2 charges)| 2.430
Arcane Blast (3 charges) |2.264
Nether Tempest |2.088
Arcane Missiles (1 charge) |2.025
Arcane Barrage (4 charges) |1.942
Arcane Blast (2 charges) |1.941
Arcane Barrage (3 charges)| 1.699
Arcane Missiles| 1.620
Arcane Blast (1 charge)| 1.617
Arcane Barrage (2 charges)| 1.457
Arcane Blast| 1.294
Arcane Barrage (1 charge) |1.214
Arcane Barrage| 0.971
[/TABLE]

Here is the same data, but normalized for cast time:

Arcane Missiles (4 charges)| 1.620
Arcane Missiles (3 charges)| 1.418
Nether Tempest |1.392
Arcane Barrage (4 charges) |1.295
Arcane Blast (4 charges) |1.294
Arcane Missiles (2 charges)| 1.215
Arcane Barrage (3 charges) |1.133
Arcane Blast (3 charges) |1.132
Arcane Missiles (1 charge) |1.013
Arcane Blast (2 charges) |0.971
Arcane Barrage (2 charges)| 0.971
Arcane Missiles |0.810
Arcane Blast (1 charge) |0.809
Arcane Barrage (1 charge) |0.809
Arcane Blast |0.647
Arcane Barrage |0.647
[/TABLE]

Because of the ability to cast Invocation anytime there has been a lot of speculation that it will be best to simply spam Arcane Blast as much as possible and then regenerate the mana back. If you look at the chart above the damage from Arcane Blast at 4 stacks is not as strong as Arcane Barrage or Arcane Missiles at the same number of stacks. After some quick testing on PTR to determine how long I would be capable of sustaining a rotation of only spamming Arcane Blast I quickly realized that the burst would last only 30 seconds at best. Considering that when we level to 90 and the gear is weak in comparison to what we have now spamming Arcane Blast for higher damage will not work. Bellow is a graph that charts the benefit of Invocation based on the fequency of it's use. The formula for this graph is (3*x)/(x+6) where x is the time between Invocation uses.

Posted Image

The red line marks where Invocation changes from a dps gain to a dps loss. Casting Invocation every 20 seconds or more frequently is a dps loss because of the 6 seconds spent not doing damage. This brings me to my thoughts about how the Arcane Rotation could work out. Since there are more powerful spells than Arcane Blast and spamming Arcane Blast is unpractical, the rotation should be about maximizing the damage from Missiles and clearing stacks with Arcane Barrage. Arcane Missiles now stacks up to 2 times and adds a stack of Arcane Charge. Arcane will likely change to a priority based spell rotation that is dynamic with mana pools. Based on the data from above and some common sense, I think the rotation for arcane will look something like this:

1. Arcane Missiles (if 2 stacks are up)
2. Nether Tempest
3. Arcane Missiles (if Arcane Charge is 3 or 4)
4. Arcane Barrage (if no Missile procs are available and Arcane Charge has 3 or 4 stacks)
5. Arcane Blast (if stacks are less than 3)

Arcane Missiles while 2 stacks are up is placed at the top of the priority list because you never want to waste an Arcane Missiles proc. Nether Tempest is second on the list because it both does good damage and also gives additional chances to proc Arcane Missiles. Following Nether Tempest is Arcane Missiles while there are 3 or 4 stacks of Arcane Blast on the target. I think it will prove to be beneficial to save Arcane Missiles procs for high stacks and then dump them since Arcane Missiles costs zero mana and benefits from Arcane Charge.

Another interesting point is that as Arcane we will likely want to pre-invocate right before pulling a boss for higher damage. This means we will need a countdown timer of at least 7 seconds to pre-invocate, pre-pot and start up a cast.

I'm curious as to others thoughts on the rotation(s). Hopefully a few of you have been more fortunate in regards to beta invites than I have been.

#56 nekyr

nekyr

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

"With mana attunement being added, it looks like rune of power will be far superior to invocation (for arcane) for any fights without too much movement between more than two areas (as invocation removes passive mana regeneration)."

The talent on beta actually states that it halves passive mana regeneration. A lot of the information on the talent website is out-dated.

"Nether Tempest is second on the list because it both does good damage and also gives additional chances to proc Arcane Missiles."

Currently on beta, only the initial cast of Nether Tempest can proc an arcane missile. Same with Living bomb. I tested for about 10 minutes of casting each bomb type.

Frost bomb is the only bomb talent that currently can provide an Arcane missile proc on the initial application and when it deals damage (Which is just the explosion at the end, but on multiple targets)

#57 Lylandra

Lylandra

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

I'd also believe that a priority-based rotation will be the go-to mechanic of arcane playstyle which is a relief after an expansion full of boredom.

However, I'm still thinking about keeping two phases (burn and conserve) vs. clearing all stacks after your last missile proc.
My burn phase could look like Guromin's priority minus arcane barrage which results in keeping 4 stacks and fishing for missiles proccs via AB throughout the burn phase, elongating the phase if the RNG gods are with us since missiles cost us no mana. After the obvious evocation we could return to a more mana neutral prio list with stack clearing after 3-4 stacks until evo is back again.

With invocation one could alternate mana regen and burn.

#58 Nathyiel

Nathyiel

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I have made some calculation to compare the 3 bomb spell. All data is based on mmo-champion extraction.

If we look at the spell coefficient, we can see that the base damage is inferior at 10% for 10k spell power. First conclusion, we can ignore base damage to facilitate the calculation.

The damage of all bomb can be separate in 2 parts : damage on primary target (i will note it a, b or c) and the damage of the second effect (noted a', b', c').

The global duration of each bomb is globally the same: 11.5s for the Frost bomb (FB) and 12s for Living bomb (LB) and Nether tempest (NT). For 2 or 3 bombs at the same time, there's a différence: 13s/14.5s for FB, 13.5s/15s for NT and only 12s/12s for LB.

Each bombs work differently:
  • FB have 1 tick (a) on the main target and 1 tick (a') on the others targets. The number damaged by a' is the number (N) of all target (Tmax) in 10 yard minus the main target. Tmax = N - 1. Can be cast only one at time.
  • LB have 4 tick (B) each 3 seconds on the main target and 1 tick (b') on 3 targets, the main target seems to be include. Tmax = 3. Limited to 3 bombs
  • NT have 12 tick © each second and 12 tick (a') on a second target, different of the main target. no limits in numbers.

Each bombs make different damage:
  • FB have a'=a/2 and is a direct damage and an AOE
  • LB have b'~b and is a DOT and a direct damage or an AOE
  • NT have c'=c/2 and is a DOT and a DOT

[TABLE]Frost Bomb|FB|a=209.2% | a'=104.6%
Living Bomb|FB|b=104% | b'=104.5%
Nether Tempest|NT|c=208.8% | c'=104.4%[/TABLE]

For 1, 2 and 3 target, with 1 bomb:
[TABLE=head] |1 target|2 target||3 target|
Frost Bomb |a=209.2% | a + a' | 313.8% | a + 2xa' | 418.4%
Living Bomb |b+b'=208.5% | b + 2xb' | 313% | b + 3xb' | 417.5%
Nether Tempest |c=208.8% | c + c' | 313.2% | c + c' | 313.2%[/TABLE]
If you want 1 bomb per terget, you only have to multiply the result by the number of the bomb you have. In these case, we have to note that Living Bomb can be spread easily but Frost bomb and Nether Tempest have to be cast each time.

Conclusion:
  • On a single target, the 3 bombs will make equivalent damage.
  • On 2 targets, 2 Living bomb or 2 Nether tempest, Frost bomb is already behind.
  • On 3 targets, Living Bomb is far ahead (because of the spread), followed by 3 Nether Tempest
  • On 4+ targets, Frost bomb is behind unless you reach 10 targets for doing an equivalent damage of 3 Living Bomb, and 8 targets for 3 Nether Tempest But it's a AOE situation and a lot of other parameters can interact

Note:
It's note clear if Nether Tempest's secondary damage can be applied on the same target if there's only 1 target.
The new version of Glyph of Fire Blast is very confusing, so I don't take it in account.

Edit:
I have limited my calculation at 3 bombs at the same time.

#59 Shendow

Shendow

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

If there is a boss fight where mechanics include a lot of adds lasting a good amount of time (let's say more than 20 seconds), won't NT tab-spamming be better than Frost Bomb due to the fact that AOE damages are capped but dots are not? Won't there be a cap of mobs where Frost Bomb will be less beneficial?

#60 Pasture

Pasture

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

If there is a boss fight where mechanics include a lot of adds lasting a good amount of time (let's say more than 20 seconds), won't NT tab-spamming be better than Frost Bomb due to the fact that AOE damages are capped but dots are not? Won't there be a cap of mobs where Frost Bomb will be less beneficial?

It's not as simple as which bomb does the most total damage, but rather which AoE rotation does the most damage. NT tabbing is all well and good but that's all you will be doing. Living Bomb on the other hand can be spread with fillers used while it ticks. Frost Bomb, already simmed to do superior damage once 5+ targets are involved, also allows heavy use of filler spells until it's back off cooldown.

In a pure AoE situation I suspect you will want to put your Frost Bomb out, Flamestrike and then spam Blizzard.

That said the sims above are different to those posted by Lhiv recently, which shows NT as the single target winner, Living Bomb as the cleave winner and Frost Bomb as the AoE winner. I'm sure this is the intention as having the other bombs do equal single target damage puts NT out of the picture entirely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users