• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 Nathyiel

Nathyiel

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

1- Deep freeze don't do damage. Now it's a control's spell.
2- For the Frost spec, Frostfire bolt have to be cast only with a Brain freeze proc. Casted FFB was better than frost bolt in one patch on the beta but it was corrected. Actually, the filler spell is Frost bolt.
3- For the L90 talents, they do equal damage's boost if used correctly but it can be difficult.

#122 Pyryte

Pyryte

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

FROST SPEC RELATED

Another question, which 90 level talent is better? Evocation for the +25% spell damage boost or Rune of Power for 15% spell damage, cause Evocation has a 1.50 minute cooldown and Rune of Power has none, it lasts for 1 minute and there's 6 seconds cooldown, hence no CD, as far as I'm concern.

If you choose the Invocation talent to allow Evocation to give you 25% increased spell power, the cooldown is reduced to 8 seconds. (may be 6, one of the two, but regardless the cooldown is extremely short and is easy to maintain full uptime)

If you do Invocation make sure you never clip your buff, you want to be Evocating the second your Invocation 25% dmg buff drops, but not before. Another tip for Frost Mages specifically is while you're channeling Invocation, that is a perfect time for you to use your Water Elemental's 'Freeze' ability if it's off cooldown so you have a Fingers of Frost proc Ice Lance once you finish channeling. I also find it useful to cast Frost Bomb just before I begin my channeling so I have a free FFB after as well.

Also be sure to let the channel finish, if you cut it off before it finishes you won't get the buff. So make sure to use it when you know you have the time to finish the channel.

In regards to the other talents, Incanter's Ward is great when you know there will be consistant aoe dmg or consistant dmg to you to break the shield and pop the buff.

Rune of Power is only good when you're able to sit in 1 (or 2) places for an extended period of time. Also, once the rune circle starts flashing, thats a warning that it is going to expire shortly, so be ready to place one down. Also be aware that while it has a spell placement mechanic, it still has a cast time, so you can't do it on the run unless you have PoM.

Personally, in general I like using Invocation as Frost because of the way it scales with Haste. More Haste = shorter channel time = more overall buff uptime. In fights with aoe dmg or consistant single target dmg to myself, Incanter's Ward is great. I can imagine Rune of Power being good on a fight like Stone Guard (assuming the Amyethst doggy is in timeout so your ranged will be stacked), but we had Amyethst this week so I've yet to use it in a raid setting.

#123 marsui

marsui

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I find it interesting that Human mages are going have to favor swords.

Human Mages will get 1% Spell Hit when using a sword.

All mages can also reforge or gem for expertise to gain additional hit.

edit: You can take an item that already has hit and add additional hit by reforging into expertise...normally you cannot reforge into something when the piece of gear already has that stat (you can't reforge into hit if the item already has hit) but because expertise is just as good as it, you can reforge (for example) another status into expertise.

#124 Oen

Oen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

In similar fashion, gnome mages will also favor swords as well as daggers due to [Shortblade Specialization].

#125 Spacedonkey

Spacedonkey

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

I keep dropping Heating Up when using Inferno Blast with FB or FFB while standing directly on my target, but not when using Scorch. The times I thought Inferno Blast was doing Hot Streak, it was actually just the preceding FB criting.

FB1 casting, FB2 queued
FB1 crit, FB2 casting, Inferno Blast queued
FB2 non crit, Inferno Blast crit, Heating Up drops

Heating Up drops even when FB2 and Inferno Blast land the same second. It happens when custom lag tolerance is set at 0 and 400. When I do this exact same thing with Scorch, Heating Up converts to Hot Streak properly. At ranged, Inferno Blast will crit before FB2 lands. I first noticed this in raid, but can easily replicate it on a dummy.

Anyone else notice this happen?

#126 Bhorin

Bhorin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

I keep dropping Heating Up when using Inferno Blast with FB or FFB while standing directly on my target, but not when using Scorch. The times I thought Inferno Blast was doing Hot Streak, it was actually just the preceding FB criting.

FB1 casting, FB2 queued

Heating Up drops even when FB2 and Inferno Blast land the same second. It happens when custom lag tolerance is set at 0 and 400. When I do this exact same thing with Scorch, Heating Up converts to Hot Streak properly. At ranged, Inferno Blast will crit before FB2 lands. I first noticed this in raid, but can easily replicate it on a dummy.

That is essentially what I have experienced. For me it is practically melee range (even a few yards back I will get my correct proc) so it is more or less a non-issue most of the time.

#127 antiscian

antiscian

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Seeing great DPS as fire, especially as I gear up. Combusts with mithril stopwatch + int trinket are insane. What I wanted to know was concerning groups, either in a raid or heroic environment. My gear has gotten much better so crits are coming more frequently but often I don't get the crit I need for groups in the beginning. So, to combat this I often switch targets and apply a LB as I cast. I know this eats up a global but it gets the dot on a 2nd target when the crit for IB doesn't come.

How are you fire mages addressing this? Do you work in something similar or just LB one and wait for the crit?

#128 Reoite

Reoite

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

FB1 casting, FB2 queued

I was experiencing this as well but couldn't put it into words. I was wondering if this was a bug. It seems like I'm losing my HU pretty frequently, almost to the point where I have to cancel FB in order to take advantage of it.

#129 Pyryte

Pyryte

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

I was experiencing this as well but couldn't put it into words. I was wondering if this was a bug. It seems like I'm losing my HU pretty frequently, almost to the point where I have to cancel FB in order to take advantage of it.

Per blue post, hotfixed on October 16th: The delay on non-crits removing Heating Up has been increased from 0.25sec to 0.5sec.

That should now give you adequate time to get your inferno blast off before the heating up proc is eaten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users