• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#21 Tyvi

Tyvi

Never, Mags. Never!

• • Guide Author
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Thus using HP on a damage absorption shield should be something you rarely desire, as you want to use your HP on something more valuable to your own defense - anything from several seconds of greater dodge/parry chance, block chance/value, damage reduction, to a self-only shield far superior to the talented useable-on-anyone version.

Oh, I agree with the theory. I am just not sure that this is realistic. I do not doubt that Prot Paladins will get something on the base level that turns Holy Power into mitigation but this does not necessarily devalue Holy Shield. If, for example, said innate Prot ability gives you increased block chance, that would still leave the niche of flat damage absorption - especially magical - for Holy Shield.

I also don't agree that tanks have to be completely disconnected from protecting the raid either. If you are in no threat of dying, why wouldn't you Holy Shield a raid member? Sure, you got HoSac but that has quite a bit of a cool down and there generally is never a case where you can have too much DPS so ideally the Prot Paladin would use this instead of Ret (unless it somehow turns out that Prot can convert 3 HP into more DPS than Ret but I am highly dubious that will happen).

Personally, I would love to have a talent like this as a Blood DK. Even if it means I would have to skip a Death Strike to do it. Choices are great and this is definitely one of the better, situational ones (ingame once you spec it, not the tier itself).

#22 Tobrexa

Tobrexa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

Excerpt from Q&A:

Q: Forgive my obsession with visuals: any chance Templar's Verdict will get a new spell effect/animation in the near future? It feels wimpy!
A: We know Retadins love their Divine Storm, so we want to make TV use a similar graphic (perhaps just one spinny hammer) so both finishers will have the same feel. DS goes back to a finisher in 5.0 since Ret and Prot both have Hammer of the Righteous. We are looking a lot at spell effects for melee in 5.0 since their attacks just aren't as flashy as the casters'.

Sounds like HotR will replace DS as AoE HP generator and DS seems to become a AoE finisher.

Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, by Spartan law, we lie.

#23 Eskostar

Eskostar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:21 AM

In addition:

Q: Any plans on making Ret paladin damage less random?
A: In 5.0 we moved Divine Purpose to a talent, so if you skip that one then the main source of RNG will just be Art of War procs, which should be a lot less random than today if that suits your play style.

Q: Is Word of Glory still going to be on a 20s CD for protection paladins? With the new active mitigation paradigm, it would seem "paladin-ish" to heal myself every time I can (or to choose a heal OR a holy shield).
A: Word of Glory does not need a cooldown in 5.0. Prot can choose whether to use it for healing, Holy Shield for absorption, or Shield of the Righteous for block.

Q: Any chance we can go ahead and change Judgement to produce Holy Power baseline for 4.3? It's so needed. And it's a shame to have wait to get the tier bonus just to have stable rotation.
A: We currently plan for Judgment in 5.0 to have a 6sec cooldown, 30yd range, and to generate 1 Holy Power. In 4.3, the set bonus should be fairly accessible, to get the Holy Power generation.

Q: Is Inquisition on a ret pally going to see some changes, currently it's needed for decent DPS but has such a short duration, to a point the ability feels awkward.. People liken it to Slice and Dice, but Slice and dice has such a nice long duration even with a single combo point, and feels so much more natural to keep it running.
A: We're currently considering a glyph for Inquisition which would significantly increase its duration, at a cost of slightly reducing its effect. We're interested in hearing feedback on how people would feel about that sort of glyph.

#24 aylen86

aylen86

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

Might be also of interest for Ret:

Q: Retribution, and the paladin class in general, has seen many iterations since release. The past few expansions have brought changes that basically make spec unrecognizable to how it handled in the previous expansion. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, players are forced to completely relearn the class with each expansion. Will Retribution recieve another overhaul in MoP in regards to Holy Power, resource management, and rotation, or are you happy with the "feel" of the class as it currently performs in cata?
A: That's always a hard decision to make (when to overhaul a class). Demo and Destro locks for example are gettign a bit of that in 5.0. We like the Holy Power model for Retribution (and all paladins) and aren't going to dramatically overhaul it. We are fixing some issues with it that players have brought up. We understand some players liked the LK version of the Ret paladin, but we worry they liked it either because it was very simple to play or because it did too much damage, neither of which is great for the long term of the game. We think classes need a resource of some form to be interesting.

No hybrid tax in 5.0:

Q: If there's no hybrid tax, what's the point of playing a pure DPS class? Raid/pug leaders will always prefer players that can fill multiple roles. When hybrids like Boomkin and Shadow Priests are out DPSing the four pure classes across most parses, I think something's wrong.
A: We want to make sure there are pure DPS classes in raids. That doesn't mean that hybrids just have to be support classes as they were back in the BC days. But it does mean that you should neglect mages, locks, rogues and hunters at your peril. There may very well be more hybrids, because they just have a chance at more roles, so you can't just look at popularity of classes, but we will take steps to make sure the pures don't vanish.

No compensation for lost relic slots:

Q: Since in MoP you guys plan on getting rid of relics for pallies, shamans, druids, and stat sticks for hunters are you planning on boosting stats in other areas to compensate? Or are the range slots for the other classes being removed as well?
A: The ranged slot is being removed for everyone in 5.0. Relics are gone. Ranged Weapons will be usable in the main hand by appropriate classes. Wands will become a type of main hand weapon. This effectively is a slight nerf to the stats of everyone equally, so doesn't cause class balance concerns.

DS goes back to a finisher/new spell effect for TV!

Q: Forgive my obsession with visuals: any chance Templar's Verdict will get a new spell effect/animation in the near future? It feels wimpy!
A: We know Retadins love their Divine Storm, so we want to make TV use a similar graphic (perhaps just one spinny hammer) so both finishers will have the same feel. DS goes back to a finisher in 5.0 since Ret and Prot both have Hammer of the Righteous. We are looking a lot at spell effects for melee in 5.0 since their attacks just aren't as flashy as the casters'.

Avenging Wrath may stay dispellable in 5.0:

Q: Retribution have some issues with Hand of Freedom and Wings being dispellable. Especially against mages I feel like it's bad using Hand of Freedom because it can be spellstolen so easily
A: Dispels are just too frequent. They are supposed to be decisions, but they aren't. We don't think the answer is to give everyone dispel protection. We think the answer is to make dispels harder. In 5.0 we want dispels to have a cooldown and duration more like Spellsteal but get all buffs or debuffs at once to make them more tactical -- you can dispel Avenging Wrath if you really want to, but then you won't have it if the paladin uses Freedom immediately after.

Also interrupts will be rarer:

Interrupts:
We want interrupting to feel more meaningful, for both the interrupter and the target. Interrupts should be rarer, but when you do get interrupted, you should know that you have a significant period of time where you can cast without fear of being interrupted again. We're still expecting to have a noticeable variance in the interrupts for different classes though, so that they can keep the sort of identity they're used to (rogues locking out for the largest percentage of time, shaman recasting the most frequently, etc). We're expecting to have most cooldowns in the 15- to 25-sec range, and most lockout durations in the 3- to 6-sec range. There may be a few outliers from there, but not many, and not by much.

Discussion:

A: We're currently considering a glyph for Inquisition which would significantly increase its duration, at a cost of slightly reducing its effect. We're interested in hearing feedback on how people would feel about that sort of glyph.

This seem's like a weak solution to me.

People would estimate the DPS difference between a glyphed an unglyphed version of Inquistion and would compare this with other glyphes on this glyph slot. Best will be taken as always.
Not so much of a real and valuable choice in my opinion.

#25 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

Q: Any plans on making Ret paladin damage less random?
A: In 5.0 we moved Divine Purpose to a talent, so if you skip that one then the main source of RNG will just be Art of War procs, which should be a lot less random than today if that suits your play style.

Q: Any chance we can go ahead and change Judgement to produce Holy Power baseline for 4.3? It's so needed. And it's a shame to have wait to get the tier bonus just to have stable rotation.
A: We currently plan for Judgment in 5.0 to have a 6sec cooldown, 30yd range, and to generate 1 Holy Power. In 4.3, the set bonus should be fairly accessible, to get the Holy Power generation.

Q: Is Inquisition on a ret pally going to see some changes, currently it's needed for decent DPS but has such a short duration, to a point the ability feels awkward.. People liken it to Slice and Dice, but Slice and dice has such a nice long duration even with a single combo point, and feels so much more natural to keep it running.

In order:
1) Divine Purpose moved from a talent to... a talent. Frankly, DPS is the easiest role to theorycraft. Numbers can be definitively crunched (at least for a Patchwerk model). A definitive 'best for DPS' can be determined between two mutually exclusive options . Yes, the occasional individual boss mechanic could break the rule, but infrequently, otherwise it changes theorycrafting and a different 'best' talent is determined. If Divine Purpose, on average, provides more DPS than the 2 competitive options, it becomes a 'no brainer.' That's not a play style decision.

To be fair, numbers defining a 'best' option is at least very difficult to overcome (if not insurmountable) issue with any DPS impacting talents. Claiming it to be a playstyle choice when Blizzard so often trots out the fact that they're aware folks will number crunch to death and then the vast majority of the playerbase will swap for as little as a 1% gain seems disingenuous.

With the 'Judgement provides HP change', it also runs into overflowing the resource pool. You're at 2 HP and Judge to gain your 3rd HP. DivPurp, if it occurs, is wasted as you are already capped on HP. This leads into #2...

2) Holy Power still has its most significant drawback: resource pool size. 100 energy/rage/runic power works because they can tailor things to grant as little as 1/100th of the pool, up to and beyond 1/3 or 2/3 of the pool. HP provides 1/3, 2/3, or all of your total pool at a go - hard stop. It cannot be 1/10th, 1/4, or 1/2. 2/3 contains its own issues (at 2 power, generate 2 more, thus 1 wastage).

We all saw the tier gear go from 50% chance to provide HP (the closest you could get to providing less than 1/3 at a time) to a full HP as adding further RNG was a maddening prospect. Granting another guaranteed HP by Judgement is all well and good, but the mechanic is coarse and cannot provide fine gradations. It's harder to tune or give situational bonuses than the other resources. Look at boss buffs that give greater mana/rage/energy/runic power generation - there's no way they could provide HP (barring some clunky 1 per X seconds, which again runs into capping issues) without being vastly imbalanced.

3) Back to the math. Not just comparing Glyph to Glyph, but we can calc the DPS benefits (extra HP/free GCD) of + duration versus lost bonus damage. Balancing lost holy damage to gained HP/GCD would be hard. Even if they hit this sweet spot and the glyph is truly a playstyle choice - how would this not alter over an X-pac?

We're dealing with a percentage modifier here. As Holy damage goes up, the percent makes more impact, thus loss of some of Inq's power becomes a greater DPS loss. The better our gear, a trade-off glyph becomes either worse or better, depending on ratio of physical to Holy damage.

Kinda puzzled they didn't mention a simple solution, such as doing something like they discussed about Warlock DoTs not clipping. A refresh within X seconds doesn't clip. Example: refresh Inq anywhere at/under, say 6 seconds, and your timer becomes (HP * 12) + remainder. Refresh over 6 seconds (again example number) and you get (HP * 12) + 6.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#26 Alleyra

Alleyra

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

Wonderful points, Exemplar -- particularly #2. A simple change to allowing for storing 5 Holy Power, while keeping current ability costs, would do much to alleviate any resource crunch.

3) Back to the math. Not just comparing Glyph to Glyph, but we can calc the DPS benefits (extra HP/free GCD) of + duration versus lost bonus damage. Balancing lost holy damage to gained HP/GCD would be hard. Even if they hit this sweet spot and the glyph is truly a playstyle choice - how would this not alter over an X-pac?

We're dealing with a percentage modifier here. As Holy damage goes up, the percent makes more impact, thus loss of some of Inq's power becomes a greater DPS loss. The better our gear, a trade-off glyph becomes either worse or better, depending on ratio of physical to Holy damage.

Kinda puzzled they didn't mention a simple solution, such as doing something like they discussed about Warlock DoTs not clipping. A refresh within X seconds doesn't clip. Example: refresh Inq anywhere at/under, say 6 seconds, and your timer becomes (HP * 12) + remainder. Refresh over 6 seconds (again example number) and you get (HP * 12) + 6.

I think this is a point that has a particular poignant relevance regarding future changes with Retribution.

One of the major issues Ret has (and will continue to have through 4.3) is the RNG element dominating how well the spec does. Though proc RNG plays a significant factor in Ret's damage output, I feel like our resource mechanics' split usage also plays a large factor. Granted the T13 set bonus will help, there is still the fundamental clumsiness of balancing Inquisition vs Templar's Verdict usage. Assuming an attempted up-time of 100% on Inquisition, most Paladins currently sacrifice nearly every third TV. (DP procs notwithstanding.) This leads to a very "bursty" or spotty data pool, as our DPS takes a significant tumble just to maintain the damage multiplier: and subsequently "spikes" back up when able to use Holy Power for finishers. Nor is spending our main DPS mechanic on a buff every 46 seconds very "fun."

Exemplar's point nails it on the head in how a Glyph is merely a band-aid solution; and ultimately not a reliable way of handling the mechanic. But I also disagree that having an additive effect upon refreshing the buff is the way to go. Frankly, I feel like a better way of handling Inquisition is simply to make it Retribution's version of Shadowform through a specialization perk. It may not necessarily be unique, but it would be a better, simpler way of determining Holy Power usage and DPS. Alternatively, if Inquisition's duration were in the 2+ minute area, our resource mechanic wouldn't feel so "wasted" on so frequently refreshing a buff; as it is currently. If the proposed Glyph were a simple duration extension (exactly like a Warrior's Commanding/Battle Shout Minor Glyph, raising the duration from 2 minutes to 4 minutes) then I am all for it. Either of these changes would allow for a much more stable, consistent way to tune the spec's damage output -- rather than balancing around massive burst.

Remember: 5.0 will reintroduce DS as a Holy Power ability, in addition to TV, WoG, and possibly Holy Shield. That already seems like a plethora of options in which to dump our resource mechanic.
Ghostcrawler: If there is a spec we want to avoid over-buffing so that we don't have to nerf them, it's Ret.

#27 Dassian

Dassian

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

Exemplar's point nails it on the head in how a Glyph is merely a band-aid solution; and ultimately not a reliable way of handling the mechanic. But I also disagree that having an additive effect upon refreshing the buff is the way to go. Frankly, I feel like a better way of handling Inquisition is simply to make it Retribution's version of Shadowform through a specialization perk. It may not necessarily be unique, but it would be a better, simpler way of determining Holy Power usage and DPS. Alternatively, if Inquisition's duration were in the 2+ minute area, our resource mechanic wouldn't feel so "wasted" on so frequently refreshing a buff; as it is currently. If the proposed Glyph were a simple duration extension (exactly like a Warrior's Commanding/Battle Shout Minor Glyph, raising the duration from 2 minutes to 4 minutes) then I am all for it. Either of these changes would allow for a much more stable, consistent way to tune the spec's damage output -- rather than balancing around massive burst.

Remember: 5.0 will reintroduce DS as a Holy Power ability, in addition to TV, WoG, and possibly Holy Shield. That already seems like a plethora of options in which to dump our resource mechanic.

A lot of the clumsiness you described just comes from the slow HP generation we currently have (DP aside). Having more abilites generate HP - via setbonus or the proposed changes coming in 5.0 - is a good way to smooth out our rotation, as it will rapidly increase the use of "finishers".
I actually like the way Inquisition works. It actively raises the skillcap of the spec. TV vs. Inquisition is a meaningful decision you have to make and it should stay like that. I am not super hyped about the idea of a duration of several minutes. This would make the ability pretty much a passive buff that you click once in a while and then completely forget about for a certain period of time. Whereas now you at least constantly have to take a glimpse at your buff timers and think about when you should refresh Inquisition or if you rather use another TV. Again this is all with 5.0 in mind and DP taken out of consideration.

Speaking of DP, one thing i actually really liked about the talents shown at Blizzcon was the possibility to opt-out of DP completely. To be honest, I don't like this mechanic at all. The random nature of it can make or break your dps - you essentially have very little control it. Especially in very short periods of time (I'm speaking 10-15, possibly 20 seconds here) where you have to get out x amount of damage, DP can either make you shine or totally screw you over.
Of course at the end it comes down to number crunching whether you use DP or not. But if the alternatives are in a reasonably small margin of it, I would always choose the option with a stable and predictable damage output.

Overall the thing that Ret needs the most is a more fluid income of HP. With that in mind I think the 5.0 changes are going in the right direction.

#28 Pdawg

Pdawg

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

Keep in mind that Divine Purpose is being gutted in 5.0. While it currently procs off of Judgement, Exorcism, TV, DS, Inquisition, Holy Wrath, and Hammer of Wrath, in 5.0 it can only proc off of abilities that consume holy power. The only abilities that consume holy power for Retribution in 5.0 are: TV, DS, Inquisition, Word of Glory, and if you choose to spec it, Holy Shield. All of those abilities will almost always be cast only when we have 3 holy power, which happens every 11 seconds or so. By removing all of our fillers from the list of abilities that can proc Divine Purpose, much of the randomness of DP is removed, and you'll only need to pay attention for DP procs once every 11 seconds.

Since we use our 3HP abilities once every 11 seconds, and each of those uses has a 15% chance to proc DP, we're looking at an average of about 1 proc per minute (its higher than 60 / 11 * 0.15 since the free TV from a DP proc can proc another DP as well). This seems quite weak for a final tier, level 90 talent, and I can't imagine that we'd want to pick it up for either PvE or PvP.

#29 aylen86

aylen86

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

Regarding Glyph of Inquisition and longer duration of Inq in general:

Glyph of Inquisition feedback

The intent is that it is not damage neutral. Yes, managing Inquisition should mean higher DPS, if you are exceptional at managing it. However, a lot of players find that they can’t operate their class at full effectiveness when they are actually in an encounter with all of the running around, target switching and other encounter mechanics that aren’t present when blasting away at a target dummy. One of the biggest differences we see between good guilds and best-in-the-world guilds is that the latter can maintain maximum DPS in almost any situation.

The hope by implementing a glyph like this (and we aren’t sure we will, which is why we want feedback) is that your empirical DPS with the glyph may be higher than your theoretical DPS without it. Players who ignored the glyph might do lower DPS (because they are mortal and sometimes fumble with Inquisition) than if they just used the glyph.

This is the kind of idea that, if it works, would be something we could do it for most classes and specs: trade off higher theoretical damage / tanking / healing for an easier rotation that might just mean higher effectiveness for some players. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

#30 Malleus

Malleus

King Hippo

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

That blue needs to learn what the big words mean, I think. Theoretical DPS must be higher than empirical DPS; if it isn't, the theory is wrong. If empirical DPS with Glyph of Inquisition is higher than theoretical DPS without it, then TDPS with GoInq would also be higher than TDPS without it. That would make GoInq compulsory, unless the boost didn't put it into the top three.

What he meant to say, of course, is that while using GoInq would lower your theoretical DPS it would raise your empirical DPS. However, a very good player should be able to do EDPS without the Glyph that exceeds TDPS with it.

#31 Darkorinth

Darkorinth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

That blue needs to learn what the big words mean, I think. Theoretical DPS must be higher than empirical DPS; if it isn't, the theory is wrong. If empirical DPS with Glyph of Inquisition is higher than theoretical DPS without it, then TDPS with GoInq would also be higher than TDPS without it. That would make GoInq compulsory, unless the boost didn't put it into the top three.

What he meant to say, of course, is that while using GoInq would lower your theoretical DPS it would raise your empirical DPS. However, a very good player should be able to do EDPS without the Glyph that exceeds TDPS with it.

Of course as he is saying not everyone is a "very good player".

#32 Ronark

Ronark

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:53 AM

In order:
2) Holy Power still has its most significant drawback: resource pool size. 100 energy/rage/runic power works because they can tailor things to grant as little as 1/100th of the pool, up to and beyond 1/3 or 2/3 of the pool. HP provides 1/3, 2/3, or all of your total pool at a go - hard stop. It cannot be 1/10th, 1/4, or 1/2. 2/3 contains its own issues (at 2 power, generate 2 more, thus 1 wastage).

We could be in store for something akin to Mindblast and Shadow Orbs-- Their argument, was that since MB was being used once its cooldown was up, you can have no limit on the number of Orbs you have. Now with Holy Power, the tied abilities do not have a cooldown. Instead, they could make Holy power abilities use 1 up to 3. The problem here is that in some scenarios, all 3 specs could "bank" Holy Power to unleash devastating burst combos (in terms of Healing and DPS). If they extended the cap on Holy Power to 5, but made abilities fully functional at 3 Holy Power, it could somewhat eliminate wasted resources as well as reward players for banking on HP at the right time; using Atramedes as an example, one could use Judgement for the HP, and have 5 HP for when the dragon lands (1 and 2/3 finishers since Judgement or CS would be off cooldown).

WoWhead.com just released their general FAQ for all the MoP and Patch 5.0 data. One of the sections, the Class overview, has the general changes discussed thus far though Blue posts, Blizzcon, etc. However, there is one section at the bottom, called the "Class Projections", which has some info:

Paladins: Finally get a hamstring through SoC. Blessed Life became a talent that shares with Sacred Shield and Ardent Defender. Flash of Light is now the only paladin heal that's non-talented, so rets and prots will not have things like Divine Light.

Link: Class Directions in 5.0

Does anyone have a source for this information? It would be nice to know if this information is valid, as I haven't seen a Blue post specifying these changes.

#33 Grigorim

Grigorim

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Does anyone have a source for this information? It would be nice to know if this information is valid, as I haven't seen a Blue post specifying these changes.

It's not from "blue posts", it's partially from the released Talent Calculator* (see Tier 2 for the SoJ hamstring and Tier 3 for the SS/AD/BL thing). As for Flash of Light, can't trace that one down...might be from the Blizzcon class balance panel. I assume he means "tied to spec" and not talented, since there are no heals in our new talent tree.

*Linking to Wowhead since it's still greyed out on the battle.net MoP page

#34 Eskostar

Eskostar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Take the info about the heals with a huge grain of salt, Retribution and Protection still has access to WoG, as confirmed in the Q&A when they asked if they were removing the CD on it (which they are), and for Holy and Divine Light, I personally haven't seen any official info on it.
As for the rest it's all in the talents they previewed at blizzcon, except it's not really hamstring, as you need to choose between damage (SoT) or a slow (SoJ).

#35 Grigorim

Grigorim

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

As for the rest it's all in the talents they previewed at blizzcon, except it's not really hamstring, as you need to choose between damage (SoT) or a slow (SoJ).

Current description is on "direct attacks". Seal twisting will be an option, with no risk of losing SoT stacks and only having one attack without the full SoT effect. Personally, I'm just hoping SoJ has competitive-ish damage (i.e. not so low that it's token damage and not really notable in and of itself), since SoT prevents being able to easily CC and target switch.

#36 Ronark

Ronark

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:35 AM

It's not from "blue posts", it's partially from the released Talent Calculator* (see Tier 2 for the SoJ hamstring and Tier 3 for the SS/AD/BL thing). As for Flash of Light, can't trace that one down...might be from the Blizzcon class balance panel. I assume he means "tied to spec" and not talented, since there are no heals in our new talent tree.

*Linking to Wowhead since it's still greyed out on the battle.net MoP page

I figured that BL and SoJ, mistaken for SoC, were form the talent calculator, but that doesn't explain the FoL comment and the removal of Holy Light and Divine Light.

Considering that they just went through this with the Rogue-poison set up, I don't see how they can justify having an exclusive choice of SoT vs SoJ (vs SoR and SoI). Prehaps we will see something similar, along the lines of either more Seals (one for Single Target, one for Tanking, etc) or Duel seals (damage and utility).

#37 Eskostar

Eskostar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:44 AM

Considering that they just went through this with the Rogue-poison set up, I don't see how they can justify having an exclusive choice of SoT vs SoJ (vs SoR and SoI). Prehaps we will see something similar, along the lines of either more Seals (one for Single Target, one for Tanking, etc) or Duel seals (damage and utility).

Actually after posting that I went to take a closer look at the original blizzcon pictures to make sure the wording was the same, and while it may just be an oversight since talents are no where near done, SoJ does not mention that is lasts 30 minutes, nor that we can only have one seal active at a time, it may, or may not of course, indicate that they might be reworking seals.

#38 Medieve

Medieve

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

Actually after posting that I went to take a closer look at the original blizzcon pictures to make sure the wording was the same, and while it may just be an oversight since talents are no where near done, SoJ does not mention that is lasts 30 minutes, nor that we can only have one seal active at a time, it may, or may not of course, indicate that they might be reworking seals.

They may, but I hightly doubt they are. The seal system is a paladin's "poison", and our complexity comes from the rogue mainframe. In all honesty, it seems they almost completely gutted the Ret tree to give to anyone who wants it, without giving Ret anything back in return. The rumor is we get HotR for AoE, but I hardly believe that's enough. Until we get a full view of abilities, there's no way to speculate where Ret is going come 5.0. If the only change is we're getting access to HotR, we'll probably have some very severe problems, unless HoPo is in such abundance it pushes our rotation to near-Wrath complexity.

#39 Ronark

Ronark

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

They may, but I hightly doubt they are. The seal system is a paladin's "poison", and our complexity comes from the rogue mainframe. In all honesty, it seems they almost completely gutted the Ret tree to give to anyone who wants it, without giving Ret anything back in return. The rumor is we get HotR for AoE, but I hardly believe that's enough. Until we get a full view of abilities, there's no way to speculate where Ret is going come 5.0. If the only change is we're getting access to HotR, we'll probably have some very severe problems, unless HoPo is in such abundance it pushes our rotation to near-Wrath complexity.

They have "confirmed" (I use that term loosely, mind you) that HotR will be our AoE ability, and will most likely act as DS does now (HP gain on 4+ targets). The reason for this was that DS would become the AoE finisher. So you'll have CS --> TV for single target and HotR --> DS for AoE.

Even in the preview they gave, they mentioned a L22 Paladin class ability called "Supplication"-- A good indicator that (if anything) we're getting new revamped abilities.

Source: Blizzcon '11: Class Talent System

#40 Teleros

Teleros

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

Re access to healing spells, I believe the intent is (from watching the BlizzCon streams) that only Holy pallies will have access to Holy Light & Divine Light (and Holy Shock of course) - however, all pallies will have access to Flash of Light, Word of Glory, and Light of Dawn. WoG & LoD are also both affected by the 5.0 Eternal Glory too.

Judgement is also expected to have a 6sec CD, so 45% for 2/3 of the time = 30% speed boost, making LAotL the clear +movement speed winner for "+speed over time". Speed of Light wins for burst speed though (60% for 6 secs, 60sec CD). This from the 2nd Q&A after BlizzCon BTW, MMO-C had the transcript up a while back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users