• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Grailwatcher

Grailwatcher

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

They mentioned bringing primary stats closer to secondary stats in the xpac and also making Int have less effect on mana pool. I wonder if this means spirit will be the way to increase mana pool, hard to say. Curious what effect this will have on disc as they have largely been dependent on mana pool for their regen.

What they said was that they want/are considering going to a static mana pool per level(~100k at 85 per Ghostcrawler), meaning your max mana is based on your level and will not increase like it does now from outside factors, i.e. talents, buffs, gear. Also, that they want the additional mana required for the fight to come from regen based mechanics like spirit/mana tide and the such. Intellect, if they do use this system, would be solely to provide Spell Power and any remaining talents/spells/skills that worked off of higher mana due to higher Intellect would be changed to work within the boundaries of this new mechanic.

Example: just random numbers here for demonstration purpose
lvl83 max mana 92K
lvl 84 max mana 96k
lvl 85 max mana 100k
lvl 86 max mana 104k
ETC to Level cap.

This enables all gear levels to have the same amount of Initial mana to work with and allows for gearing through a combination closer to a 50/50 split of Int(SP=bigger heals) and Spr(Regen=more throughput) vs now where all healers basically gear for int and minimal spirit because Int is propped up so much by talents/mechanics/spells. I see this almost as a move toward the Burning Crusade style of healing where gearing for Spell Power and MP5 were both choices(depending on the class).

#22 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

Looking over the spell lists, I think there are some obvious oversights. Discipline did not get the new shield that was announced, and other base priest spells are missing as well.

I do think the renew, hymn, and heal/binding heal changes were intended. It is the spells like Prayer of Healing and Mind Blast that somehow did not make it in any of the specs that seem to be forgotten about and I don't expect them to actually be removed from game.

#23 Venaliter

Venaliter

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm pretty aggrieved about the update today.

It revealed Disc gets Holy Nova (Heals 2088 / 5 nearby targets ) versus Holy's Prayer of Healing (3588 healing to 5 group targets )

Built like it is now, Holy nova is impossible to tune correctly. Mostly because it's instant cast. Either it heals the casting priest for too much, or it doesn't heal aoe-style nearly enough. They have to removed the (divided by) target restriction to have any chance of making the spell work correctly.

I'm really unsat about the talent trees. There's very few *real* choices so far. Most of the talent picks are exactly what they are trying to avoid. There's still a lot of work to be done.

Shadow guise is pretty cool, however. Priests have been asking forever to have something to peel themselves other then that worthless psychic scream. A+ on that one.

#24 Crow

Crow

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

I wouldn't pay much attention to actual numbers yet (such as spirit shell being 3 sec cast for 1/3rd the absorption of PW:S). Even if Holy Nova was finely tuned I believe removal of PoH would make disc priest a very poor raid healers due to positioning requirements of Nova.

#25 Spleener

Spleener

King Hippo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, I like the idea of Nova being Disc's main AE heal as it ties in with Atonement's whole 'do some damage while you heal' theme, but as it stands it'll mean that AE healing as disc will be "slam face against Nova forever."

There are plenty of ways to fix that, though, so I'm not too worried.
Big Crits, the show about wiping, killing bosses, and teabagging.

#26 Fraax

Fraax

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

I wouldn't pay much attention to actual numbers yet (such as spirit shell being 3 sec cast for 1/3rd the absorption of PW:S)

I'm actually thinking that might be intended. According to the calculator, Disc gets Spirit Shell at level 28. Holy gets regular Heal at level 28. Disc doesn't get normal Heal - Spirit Shell may be Disc's small mana efficient "heal".

#27 Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

I'm actually thinking that might be intended. According to the calculator, Disc gets Spirit Shell at level 28. Holy gets regular Heal at level 28. Disc doesn't get normal Heal - Spirit Shell may be Disc's small mana efficient "heal".

Assuming Spirit Shell's absorption effect draws on Disc's mastery, it makes the bread & butter heal more appropriately flavored to Disc as a spec. Given that, if the post-shell heal can crit, it can proc DA. In one spell, Blizzard has given crit and mastery similar importance from a stat standpoint.

Clearly, a redesign is in the cards for Holy Nova. When it comes to AE healing, Disc has given up every tool but Nova, so seeing how that plays out will certainly be interesting. However, something Kaivax said on the official forums stuck out to me. If priests in general have too many AE heals, and Holy will have PoH, CoH, and HW:Sanctuary, in addition to the big Divine Hymn CD, AND their stated intention is for PoH to be Holy's equivalent to Disc's revamped Holy Nova, it makes me think that Holy's losing CoH.

Also, in another thread, Kaivax revealed that Atonement is getting made into a glyph. Makes it available to Holy priests, which is good, but if a glyph is going to be that kind of big game-changer, there's no telling what other manner of glyphs are going to play into the build of the class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users