#1 Rosin

Rosin

Priests are great!

• Moderators
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

4.3 Discipline Priest Compendium

= Introduction =

This version of the Compendium is very much a community effort and is still a work-in-progress. Derevka
contributed substantial sections and moral support, and I must thank Sambubrad both for going over the
math with me and the regular reminders that technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Terms Defined

A/A: Archangel/Atonement spec
BT: Borrowed Time
CoH: Circle of Healing
DA: Divine Aegis
GS: Guardian Spirit
HC: Holy Concentration (talent, Holy tree)
HoH: Hymn of Hope
HpM: Healing per Mana, a measurement of efficiency
HpS: Healing per Second, a measurement of throughput
ICD: Internal Cool Down
IF: Inner Focus
IW: Inner Will
MA: Mental Agility
PI: Power Infusion
PoH: Prayer of Healing
PoM: Prayer of Mending
PS: Pain Suppression
RSTS:Random Secondary Targeting System
SoR: Spirit of Redemption
SoS: Strength of Soul

= QuickStart =

What should I spec?

These are some suggested templates:

as Disc:

33/8/0
Archangel/Atonement, general purpose

31/8/2
dedicated tank healing, without Archangel/Atonement

Glyphs

There is a distinct gap between our obviously useful glyphs and the remainder of our choices.
Take the ones that are obvious, and fill in the rest according to your preference, or even by the
mechanics of a specific fight. With the changes to the glyph system, there is now no reason not
to view glyphs as a consumable.

Based on the idea that we have 3 prime and 3 major glyph spots, we will fill these with the
must-have glyphs first. Then options for the remaining slots are given and these can easily be
changed to suit the individual fight.

*Must-have glyphs - disc
[TABLE]Prime||
*Penance |reduces cooldown by 10% |
*PW:Barrier |increase healing by 10% |[absolutely necessary]
Prayer of Healing|adds a HoT (20% over 6 sec)|
PW:Shield |heal for 20% of shield value |

Major||
*Divine Accuracy |hit cap for smite and holy fire |[must-have for archangel builds]
*Prayer of Mending| increased healing from first charge of PoM |
Smite|+20% damage to targets with holy fire |[a strong choice for A/A builds]
Dispel Magic |heal for 3% of overall health |[can proc DA]
Mass Dispel |reduce cast time by 1 sec | [very nice if you will be doing any dispelling]
Holy Nova |reduces GCD by ½ sec|
Fade |reduces cooldown for fade|
Fear Ward|reduces cooldown and duration by 60 sec |[situational and/or pvp]
Desperation |cast GS and PS while stunned | [mostly a pvp glyph]
Psychic Scream|cower, but +3 sec cooldown |[possible utility in 5-mans]

Minor||
Fading|reduce mana cost by 30% |
Shadowfiend|5% max mana if it dies | [much less useful now that pets have good resistance to aoe]
Levitate|no reagent | [how did we live before we had this?]
Fortitude|reduce mana cost by 50% |[less useful now after the cost reduction in 4.0.6]
Shadow Protection|increase duration by 10 min|[/TABLE]

Stats and Gearing

Mastery

Mastery is a new stat introduced in Cataclysm that basically makes you better at what you do. Mastery’s effect
depends on your class and specialization, and the mechanic can be different for each.

For Disc, our Mastery is Shield Discipline

Stat Priority

For Disc:

1. Get as much Intellect as you can through higher item level gear and gemming.
2. Items should have Spirit as a secondary stat.
3. Keep a balance to your other secondary stats (haste, mastery, crit). None of them are
outstanding, but they synergistically increase each other's values.

See Also Stat Ratings

Reforging

As your mana feels more comfortable, start reforging your spirit into one of the other secondary
stats, usually haste or mastery.

Item Enhancements

Gems

We are still considering socket bonuses with an eye toward what will bring us the most overall
benefit: either the bonus+mixed color gem or the pure color intellect gem by itself. Often only the
higher socket bonuses will be worth matching.

[TABLE] | Artful Ember Topaz |20 int, 20 mastery
|*Brilliant Inferno Ruby |40 int
|*Purified Demonseye |20 int, 20 spirit
|Zen Dream Emerald |20 mast, 20 spirit
|*Reckless Ember Topaz | 20 int, 20 haste
|Quick Amberjewel | 40 haste[/TABLE]

*Quick answer

Meta Gems

[TABLE] |*Ember Shadowspirit Diamond |54 int, +2% max mana
| Burning Shadowspirit Diamond | 54 Int, 3% Critical Effect
[/TABLE]

Taken from a post by Derevka on Tales of a Priest
On one hand you have the Ember Shadowspirit Diamond, this provides provides an increased mana pool,
which in turn affects “total mana” based regen. (Replenishment, Rapture, Hymn of Hope, Shadowfiend, etc…)
Additionally, you start the fight with more mana, which is mana you wouldn’t have had without the meta gem.

On the other hand you have the Burning Shadowspirit Diamond which provides you with 3% increased critical
effects… pure throughput increases to your critical heals. (Disc Priests: Dont forget that this, in turn, provides
increased Divine Aegis).

Ember Shadowspirit Diamond remains the default choice, but the recent change to Burning Shadowspirit
Diamond (now critical effect instead of critical damage) makes it a viable throughput option.

Enchants

*Quick Answers
[TABLE] Head|
|60 int, 35 crit
| Requires Revered with Guardians of Hyjal

|
Shoulder|

| 50 int, 25 haste

| Requires Exalted with Therazane
| 30 int, 20 haste
|Requires Honored with Therazane

|
Back (use lightweave if you have it)|
*Cloak -- Greater Intellect |50 int
Darkglow Embroidery | proc spirit
Lightweave Embroidery | proc int
| Embroidery is Tailoring-only

|
Chest|
*Chest -- Peerless Stats | 20 all stats
Chest -- Exceptional Spirit |40 spirit

|
Wrist|
Bracer -- Speed | 50 haste
Bracer -- Exceptional Spirit |50 spirit
*Bracer -- Mighty Intellect | 50 int

|
Hands|
Gloves -- Mastery | 50 mastery
Gloves -- Haste | 50 haste

|
Belt|
Ebonsteel Belt Buckle |adds socket
|
Legs|
Powerful Ghostly Spellthread |95 int, 55 spirit
Sanctified Spellthread | 95 int, 55 spirit
| Sanctified is Tailoring-only

|
Feet|
Boots -- Earthen Vitality |30 stam, run speed
Boots -- Haste |50 haste
Boots -- Mastery |50 mastery
* Boots -- Lavawalker | 35 mastery, run speed

|
Ring|
Ring -- Intellect |40 int
| Enchanters only

|
Off-hand|
Off-Hand -- Superior Intellect |40 int
|
Weapon|
Weapon -- Heartsong | proc spirit when casting
*Weapon -- Power Torrent |proc int when casting[/TABLE]

Consumables

Quick answer:

Bring intellect food and flasks to the raid, along with mana pots.

Food

Availability and cost of materials for various buff foods remains to be seen.

[TABLE] |Basilisk Liverdog |90 haste

|Delicious Sagefish Tail |90 spirit

|Whitecrest Gumbo |60 spirit

|Severed Sagefish Head |90 int

|Pickled Guppy |60 int

|Lavascale Minestrone |90 mastery

|Seafood Magnifique Feast |90 useful stat

|Broiled Dragon Feast |60 useful stat

|Fortune Cookie |90 useful stat

|Goblin Barbecue |60 useful stat[/TABLE]

The feasts provide intellect as the useful stat, so you may want to consider bringing your
own spirit food if that is your preference.

Flasks

[TABLE] |Flask of Battle (guild flask) |effect based on class and talents
|Flask of Flowing Water |300 spirit
|Flask of the Draconic Mind |300 int[/TABLE]

Cauldrons give an int flask, so again healers may want to bring their own spirit flasks.

Potions

The new potions available are:

[TABLE] |Mighty Rejuvenation Potion |7200-8800 mana and health
|Molotov Cocktail | increase runspeed by 50% for 15 sec
|Mysterious Potion |restore 1-15000 health and mana
|Mythical Healing Potion |7500-12500 health
|Mythical Mana Potion |9250-10750 mana
|Potion of Concentration |up to 22000 mana, defenseless
|Volcanic Potion |1200 spell power[/TABLE]

Quickie UI notes

At the bare minimum, you will need a way to track the ICD of Rapture, and you will need to be able to
see both PW:Shield and Weakened Soul (cast by both yourself and others) on your raid frames.

Please see the Addons and UI section for detailed information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Brass Tacks =

Questions and Answers

Let's talk about Archangel/Atonement.
Smiting to a 5-stack of Evangelism costs less mana each cast and Atonement does 100% of the damage
as healing each cast. It is a ‘smart’ heal, so it chooses the lowest health targets within a short range
(now accounting for the target enemy's combat reach), including hunter pets and temporary pets like
shadowfiend. A 5-stack consumed by Archangel will return slightly less mana than you spent, and boost
your healing by 15% (+3% per stack) for 18 seconds.

The main purpose of Evangelism is to provide Archangel for the times when you need the healing boost.
The smite-to-heal mechanic is a conservation technique to keep putting out a base amount of healing
while spending (overall) very little mana during lower damage phases of the fight. A non-Archangel/Atonement
spec would use Heal for this purpose.

In Cataclysm it is not unusual to see a raid with health not topped off while healers go into their conservation
phases. HOWEVER--if someone needs healed, heal them! Don’t just keep smiting and hope a heal hits the
person you wanted.

In 4.1, Holy Fire was changed to also trigger Atonement and Evangelism, meaning that we will want to keep
Holy Fire on cooldown as much as possible during any time we will be Smiting. The can be
used to increase damage and therefore Atonement healing.

In 4.3 Atonement was changed to account for the target enemy’s hit box when calculating range, enabling its
use on very large enemies such as Ragnaros and Al’akir.

Power Word: Shield has a 1 second cooldown when talented and a high mana cost. How am I
supposed to spam this like I used to?

The days of PW:S spam are over. The reduction of the duration of PW:S in patch 4.1 to 15 seconds made
pure shield spamming even less practical. That said, there are still a few times when spending the mana to set
up a bunch of shields is worth the high cost. Overall, it is nice to still have this as an option without spending the
entire raid casting one spell over and over.

Remember that Rapture is an important source of mana regen for the disc priest, and proper shield placement,
timing and monitoring of the rapture procs can maximize returns.

Should I take Inspiration?
Yes--you should always take Inspiration if you might be healing a tank at any point. This includes healing
the tank group with PoH, and remember that PW:S can proc Inspiration from the glyph heal. The value of
the 10% physical damage mitigation from Inspiration should not be underestimated.

How should I use Power Infusion?
Both the haste and the decreased mana costs are very valuable to a disc priest while gearing up. Once in
full raid gear, the decision to keep PI for yourself or cast it on a dps becomes much more situational,
depending on the demands of the indiviual fight on healing and dps.

Talent and Spell Review

Divine Aegis -- Lasts for 15 seconds.
A foundation disc talent, and now even more so for raid healing. Critical heals from PoH
award bonus DA, in addition to the guaranteed proc.

Divine Aegis absorbs are 30% of the critical heal amount * Absorption Mastery. It continues to stack
when refreshed, and caps out at 40% of the priest’s total health. Multiple DA’s from different
priests do not stack together, but instead create separate buffs which can each stack up to 40% of
the casting priest's health.
Divine Aegis will not produce a shield if the full heal that would cause the DA is absorbed by a Death
Knight's Necrotic Strike.
Patch 4.3 brings a return to a spell graphic very similar to the old ‘soap bubble’ effect.

Pain Suppression
One of the best cooldowns available, but don’t forget the threat reduction can do funny
things if used on a tank.

Power Word: Barrier
Almost a smaller version of Pain Suppression, the glyphed version of this giant bubble
is amazing stacked onto top of holy priest and druid ground-based AoE effects. Changed to a 3 min.
cooldown in patch 4.1.
Should always be glyphed for the healing bonus.

Divine Hymn
Changed in 4.3 to heal the 5 lowest health raid or party members (up from 3). Always use hymns
when buffed with Borrowed Time, a haste trinket or bloodlust (or both). Tick gains and haste calculations
are made at the start of the channel, so beginning the cast with only a second or two left on bloodlust
is enough to get the benefit for the entire channel.
see also Haste and Channeled Spells

Inner Focus -- Often macroed to be used with the
elegible spells on cooldown.

Grace -- Grace is 4% per point per stack,
reaching a maximum of 24% additional healing on your primary target. This stacks multiplicatively
with other healing bonuses for a very substantial increase to Disc single target healing. As of 4.0.6
Grace is no longer limited to a single target, reducing the penalty for healing someone other than your
primary target and opening up opportunities for boosting AOE healing on multiple individuals.
Only your own Grace provides benefits to your healing of that target.

Veiled Shadows
This can be a useful regen talent.

Holy Nova

Holy Nova is no longer confined to your group, or even your party. It will heal other members
of your raid, other players who happen to be nearby and even friendly npc's wandering past at the right
moment.

Strength of Soul -- In patch 4.1 Strength of Soul will
also reduce another priest's weakened soul effect, not just your own.

Raiding

Spell Selection

=
Tank healing
=

Originally Posted by Derevka on Tales of a Priest

"Rotation"

I hate to use that word in the context of a healer. There really isnt a “rotation” for healers. Healing
is dynamic; healing is fluid. That said, we will need to be sure we are keeping an eye on Weakened
Soul, Grace, Penance CDs, and Prayer of Mending CDs.

Grace, when fully stacked, gives you +24% healing done to that target. That isn’t a trivial amount of
healing. Pre-pull you’ll want to Penance your tank to get those stacks up. Additionally, if you are doing
a fight where you will have tank taunting, you’ll want to be sure your new tank has their Grace stacks
ready. This can mean waiting 1-2 seconds on casting a Penance and use that to “prep” the Taunting
Tank as they do “Taunting in 3…2 … 1?. For example, on Ragnaros when our tanks are taunting to
reset their debuffs, I’ll pre-penance the new tank to ensure my Grace is stacked on them. (Protip:
Grace not only provides throughput, it also is a trigger point for Renewed Hope)

I use both GHeal and Heal as my filler spells. GHeal is my primary go to… why do I not cancel cast?
Well, canceling that cast might have just canceled a 70k Crit– and thus a potentially valuable DA and
refresh of Inspiration. If mana is starting to run low, or if I know the damage pattern is going to be
low for a while. I will switch to regular Heal– this allows me to Strength of Soul reset Weakened Soul,
as well as potentially critically heal for 20-22k. (and DA)

Remember to use FH/SOS in those emergency situations. Strength of Soul also allows you, at the
sacrifice for some mana, burst heal with a string of Flash Heals to top off your tank, and (via SoS)
reset Weakend Soul for a follow up PW: Shield.

Most importantly, as a Disc priest your biggest advantage is to know the fight. If you know you have
a boss ability that requires everyone to do some movement… prepare yourself. Will you need/have
PWS available to use on the fly? Same for POM. If you know big damage is coming in a few seconds,
hold off and mitigate some of it with PWS (into a Borrowed Time GHeal or BT>Penance>GHeal).
Saying “I was running away from ability X” is not a valid excuse for letting your tank die — prepare for it.

=
Raid Healing
=

Coming Soon!

Threat Mechanics

Fade

For 4.3, the threat system has been overhauled yet again. Tank threat
generation has been made more quick and consistent. Caution should still be used at the start of a pull,
when the tank might not have control of all the mobs yet. Increased tank health pools
provide some buffer, but you may find yourself needing to heal before the tank has solid threat on
every mob. In this situation pre-fading is very useful. Keep an eye on dps who manage to get a mob
away from the tank, as they may die (or feign death), sending the mob running to hug YOU.

Fade
[/I]
This actually sets you to zero threat for the duration of the buff.

Cast fade immediately before you start healing. Waiting to fade until you
actually have the attention of one or more mobs can cause them to move away from the tank and cause
positioning issues. Also, remember that not only your initial threat but all the threat you generate
while faded is returned to you when the fade ends. Be aware of all these factors when you make your
decisions. Low-threat heals like binding heal may be called for in particularly delicate situations.

Haste and Hymns

How should you leverage haste when you are channeling your Hymns? The easy answer is for Discipline:
always cast hymns when you have Borrowed Time. That is immediately a free 14% haste included in your
channel. Holy Priests, since they do not have a on demand Haste ability, can leverage either Haste Trinkets
or Heroism/Bloodlust should they line up to be used at an appropriate time. Protip: Your tick gains and
haste calculations are made at the START of the channel. So if you start a Hymn with 1 sec left on Hero/Lust,
your channel is cast under those higher haste assumptions.

To provide an example, on the PTR I have 18.34% Haste, unbuffed. As Disc I can leverage Borrowed Time
and cast a Hymn with 34.90% Haste (Remember: Haste gains are multiplicative, so you just don’t add haste
together). As Holy, I won’t have access to Borrowed Time, however, I could use Shard of Woe (despite its
regen nerf in 4.3) and cast with 33.75% haste. (For those curious: Shard, Borrowed Time, and Power Infusion
I landed at 82.97%. )

It should be noted, however, that the tooltips for both Divine Hymn and Hymn of Hope both state “Maximum
Targets”. (4.3 PTR Divine Hymn: 20; and Hymn of Hope: 12). For several patches now, this bug has simply
allowed for additional ticks to be gained. If it is ever “corrected” (a la the HW: Sanctuary 6+ targets “bug”);
we should still continue to value Haste for these Hymns if anything for a decreased channel duration.
(bug confirmation)

Disparity Between 10-Man and 25-Man

Purely based on the total number of targets available, a single Hymn (Hope or Divine) will have different
results in 10 and 25. Taking range out of the discussion, a 10 man raid will be much more likely to “double
hit” (or Triple) a single target with a Divine or Hope tick… while a 25-Man raid might have more “equitable
distribution” of each tick. Further affecting our hymns, is the fact that each hymn provides a lingering buff,
that makes subsequent ticks even better– and in turn making the impact of raid size disparity difficult to
really gauge

Leveraging Our Hymns

How and when should we be using Hymn? Say it with me (again) know the fight. The more you know the
boss encounter, the better you can plan and time your cooldowns. This is particularly important for Holy
Priests, as they can leverage their shortened cooldowns to get multiple hymns cast in a single fight. For
example, in the Dragon Soul fight against Zon’ozz, a Holy Priest can time their Hymn to be available for
every other round of Black Blood of Go’rath. (Depending how many ‘bounces’ you do of the shadow orb).

Of course, we should also use Divine Hymn as a “OH CRAP!” panic button when the raid takes a sudden
surge in damage. (Just remember, this may adjust your cooldown rotation and your raids should be
prepared to handle that)

Hymn of Hope is always a little tricky, since it can be a 8 second (non-hasted) period of pure altruism!
The casting priest is not guaranteed a regen application. On Heroic Ragnaros, I have trained (or attempted
to!) our Warlocks to Lifetap before I cast HoH; this helps in getting the mana to the folks that really
need it.

Regen

Shadowfiend

Long-time priests either hate our regen pets for their short attention spans and
wandering ways, or have accepted their shortcomings and given the little guys names. In 3.3 they
were changed to now avoid 90% of incoming AOE damage, dramatically increasing their survivability
(and therefore reliability).

You can get the most out of your shadowfiend by combining it with Hymn of Hope if the fight allows.
If you are low enough in mana to be sure of getting at least one of the HoH ticks (which raises your
maximum mana by 15%), you should use your fiend and then go directly into HoH.

Shadowfiend returns 3% of your maximum mana per attack. It will deliver 10 * (1 + Haste*0.01) attacks
during its duration. It can be useful to cast your fiend right before bloodlust/heroism (extra
swings mean extra mana), although timing this can be tricky.

Rapture
Rapture is an important part of mana regeneration for a disc priest. Fully talented, it returns 6% of total
mana when PW: Shield is fully used or removed, and there is a 12 second internal cooldown on this ability.
In order for Rapture to cause your Shields to be mana neutral, your mana pool will need to be:

[TABLE]Condition |Mana cost |3/3 Rapture |2/3 Rapture |1/3 Rapture
none |6795 |113250 |169875 |339750
1/3 MA |6591 |109850 |164775 |329550
2/3 MA |6319 |105316 |157975 |315950
3/3 MA |6115 |101916 |152875 |305750
IW |5775 |96250 |144375 |288750
1/3 MA, IW |5572 |92866 |139300 |278600
2/3 MA, IW |5300 |88333 |132500 |265000
3/3 MA, IW |5096 |84933 |127400 |254800[/TABLE]

Hymn of Hope
Hymn of Hope will restore 2% total mana per tick for 4 ticks and increase your mana by 15%. The first
tick does not benefit from the mana increase, but subsequent ticks do. Best used when your mana is low
enough to guarantee you will recieve one of the ticks and the associated buff to overall mana pool.

Inner Will and Mental Agility
Inner Will reduces the mana cost of your instant cast spells by 15%. Mental Agility reduces the mana
cost of your instant cast spells by 3%/7%/10%. Though technically not 'Regen', these effects stack
additively to give 25% mana cost reduction to instant cast spells.

Mana Tide Totem
Mana Tide now provides a flat amount of spirit, and is raid-wide. This means that
using the on-use spirit effect of a trinket ( for example), will no longer improve your
regen during Mana Tide.

Addons and UI

A healer’s UI is focused around two points--the raid frames and your character model. The less time
your eyes spend moving between these two locations of vital information, the more time you have to
react to changing circumstances. Other needed information is displayed radiating out from this
central location, the importance dictating how close to the center it needs to be. Examples of this
second ring would be player and target frames and important procs and debuffs. Remaining
information, such as damage/healing meters, chat frames and ordinary buffs are lowest priority and
can safely be placed at the edges of the screen. It is important to prioritize information in this
way so that you aren’t distracted from the job at hand (healing and staying alive) by a flood of too
much information, most of which you don’t actually need at the moment.

Unit frames

Unit frames are used to show information about your raid and party members in a compact format.
Health status is a primary concern, but select buffs and debuffs are also very important to show. Of
less importance but still common are indicators of incoming heals, the status of HoTs on the player,
their distance from you, as well as convenience items such as group role and afk status.
The new raid frames now available through the default UI are dramatically improved from times past
and are certainly a viable option now, especially for those who want to keep setup minimal and memory
useage low. For those who prefer the appearance and customization options of unit frames through an
addon, there are many choices readily available but for simplicity I will mention only two: Grid and
Vuhdo.

Vuhdo comes with an very usable default setup right out of the box. The configuration interface
is completely redesigned and the appearance of the raid frames can be customized if desired.
VuhDo : Raid Mods : WoWInterface Downloads

A long-time favorite, Grid is extremely customizable but not as intuitive to set up,
although recent changes have made large improvements in ease of use. The Grid addon itself is
fairly basic, and many additional modules are available to add a wide variety of functions. A
benefit of this is that you don’t need to download modules you don’t intend to use.
Grid - Addons - Curse

Now that the unit frames are set up and everyone is visible, you need to be able to cast your heals
on them. The simplest method is of course to click the player you want to heal to target them and
cast the spell. Most healers find this system too slow and unwieldy however, and choose one of the
following methods:

Mouseover Macros

This is a system of binding macros to keys and casting by hovering the mouse over the appropriate
player’s frame and pressing the key to cast. This method does not require a mouse with extra buttons
or an addon to use, and you do not need to actually select the player as your target. Make one macro
for each of your healing spells.

A typical mouseover macro would look like

/cast [target=mouseover,exists] Greater Heal

or with a stopcast (to interrupt a slower casting spell)
/stopcasting
/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead] Pain Suppression

Click-Casting

A popular alternative to mouseover macros is click-casting. For this you use an addon to
bind spells and macros to your mouse buttons directly, and then just click on the selected raid
frame. These addons are used with raid frames that do not have this functionality built in already
(Grid is the most common example given, while Vuhdo has the capability built in).
Clique : Unit Mods : WoWInterface Downloads

Tracking buffs, debuffs and cooldowns on yourself and others and displaying the pertinent information
in a convenient location is also important for effective and efficient healing.

Power Auras is an addon for displaying graphical auras on your screen to indicate
various states. A much more elaborate version of the default aura system, very customizable and
capable of linking auras together to produce more complex conditions.
Power Auras Classic : Buff/Debuff/Spell Mods : WoWInterface Downloads

Some handy pre-made Power Auras for healing priests:
Power Auras | Tales of a Priest

There is a lot of information out there about setting up a healing UI, and additional research will
serve you well as you develop as a healer.

Handling some common issues

dealing with holy word

Happily, Holy Word macros work normally now.

Smite macros

#showtooltip smite
/cast [harm] [target=targettarget] Smite

or

#showtooltip Smite
/cast [@mouseovertarget, harm] [@mouseover, harm] [@targettarget, harm] [harm] Smite

Tools

Spreadsheet

Cataclysm Healing Priest Theorycrafting Spreadsheet v1.15

This spreadsheet calculates the effects of your spells and models customizable healing rotations.
This is still a work in progress. Bugs and errors can be reported to Arison via private message on these forums.

SimulationCraft

http://elitistjerks....aclysm_edition/

= MATH=

Spell Coefficients and Formulas

To calculate the value of a spell, the formula (BaseValue + Spellpower * Coefficient) * Modifiers is used.

[TABLE]|Level 85 Base Value |Coefficient |Modifiers
Shield |8136 |0.870 |Imp. PW:S, SD, TD
Renew* |1224 |0.131 |SH+IR+GoR, TD
Heal |3136:3644 |0.3624 |SH+EH, TD
Flash Heal |6272:7289 |0.7248 |SH+EH, TD
Greater Heal |8361:9717 |0.9672 |SH+EH, TD
Binding Heal |4752:6110 |0.543 |SH+EH, TD
Prayer of Mending* |2971 |0.318 |SH, TD
Prayer of Healing |3087:3262 |0.340 |SH, TD
Holy Nova* |1696:1972 |0.196 |SH, TD
Divine Hymn* |4009 |0.429 |SH, TD
Penance* |2822:3187 |0.321 |TD
Circle of Healing |1776:1962 |0.2 |SH, TD
Lightwell* |3309 |0.354 |25%
Serenity(Heal) |5198:6100 |0.604 |TD
Sanctuary(PoH)* |299:355 |0.03 |SH, TD
Smite |653:732 |0.714 |TD [/TABLE]

*Per tick value
SH = Spiritual Healing, 15%; Imp PW:S = Improved Power Word: Shield, 20%; TD = Twin Disciplines, 6%;
IR = Improved Renew, 10%; GoR = Glyph of Renew, 10%; EH = Empowered Healing, 15%;
SD = Shield Discipline, 20%+

Stat Ratings

The direct relationship between the base values and the coefficients of (most) spells means that we
can derive a formula for comparing Spellpower as a rating; that is, a measure of how much Spellpower
is needed to gain a 1% increase to healing.

(BaseValue + Spellpower * Coefficient) * Modifiers = BaseValue * (1 + Spellpower / BaseValue / Coefficient) * Modifiers.
At level 85, dividing the base values by the coefficient gives us ~9345. Therefore, your Spellpower
will give your spells additional value equal to Spellpower / 9345. Using Heal as an example, with
7482 spellpower:

2824 + 7482 * 0.302 = 5083.564
2824 + 7482 * 0.302 = 2824 * (1 + 7482 / 9345)
7482 / 9345 = .80064
2824 * 1.8006 = 5084

With 7482 Spellpower, Heal gains 80.06% additional value.

Since it takes 93.45 spellpower to gain a 1% increase to your spells (93.45 / 9345 = 1 / 100), it can
be said that it takes 93.45 Spellpower 'Rating' to equal a 1% increase. This makes it easier to
directly compare the throughput value of Spellpower with other ratings to determine basic stat
weightings.

The spells that do not follow this convention are Binding Heal (100.01) and Holy Word: Sanctuary
(105.32); these spells will not scale as well as our other healing spells, though only slightly.

[TABLE]Statistic| Rating | Increase | Adjusted| Stat Weight
Disc Mastery| 179.28 | 2.5% | 71.71|1.3
Spellpower | 93.45 | 1% | 93.45|1.0
Haste | 128.06 | 1% | 128.06|0.73
Holy Mastery| 179.28 | 1.25% | 143.42|0.65
Disc Critical | 179.28 | 1.147% | 156.35|0.60
Holy Critical | 179.28 | 0.557% | 268.92|0.36
[/TABLE]
'Adjusted' is how much of each stat is need to give the equivalent of a 1% increase to healing.

Individual Stats

Intellect
Intellect increases your Spellpower by 1, Spell Critical Chance by .001541, and Mana by 15. The
first 18 Intellect will not give mana, and the first 10 Intellect will not give Spellpower

Spirit
Spirit increases your Spirit Regen according to the following formula:
Spirit Regen = Sqrt(Intellect) * Spirit *.016725

Mastery

Mastery adds 1.25% additional healing to direct heals with Echo of Light for Holy, and 2.5%
additional absorption for Discipline.

Critical

Critical heals are 200% of the value of a non critical heal. Divine Aegis adds 10% additional
healing as an absorption shield per point, increased by your Shield Discipline mastery.

Healing = Average Heal * (1 + Critical% * (0.5 + Divine Aegis * Shield Discipline)

Haste

Haste increases your casting speed according to the following formula:
Base Cast Time / (1 + Haste *.01)

Haste rating decreases the period length between ticks from channeled spells and heal over time
effects according to the same formula, replacing the Base Cast Time with the channeling time or tick
period. Durations are determined from the period times the number of ticks. You get k more
ticks for a hot/dot that has m ticks at 0% haste if your haste is higher than (2k-1)/2m.

Haste rating converts to a 1% increase at a much quicker rate than other secondary stat ratings, but
does so without providing any increase in efficiency. Generally, it lets you spend your mana faster,
and is devalued any time you aren't GCD locked.

Haste rating is additive, haste buffs and percentages are multiplicative.

To calculate the number of ticks for a given haste:
Int[Base # Ticks * (1+ Haste *.01) + 0.5]

To calculate the Haste Rating needed to reduce spell cast time from base cast time to any desired
cast time you use:
((Base Cast Time / Desired Cast Time) - 1) * Rating Conversion * 100

With the removal of Enlightenment and 3% Haste buff, the reduction of Borrowed Time (14% at max
rank), and the change to Darkness (3% available in Tier 1 Shadow), we have new caps and plateaus for
Haste rating.

[TABLE]Condition |50% (GCD) |37.5% (Renew x 6) |12.5% (Renew x 5)
85 |6402.9 |4802.3 |1601.1
85, 1/3 |6212.7 |4627.9 |1458.4
85, 2/3 |6026.2 |4457.0 |1318.6
85, 3/3 |5843.4 |4289.4 |1181.5
85, 5% |5488.2 |3963.8 |915.0
85, 5%, 1/3 |5307.0 |3797.8 |779.2
85, 5%, 2/3 |5129.5 |3635.0 |646.0
85, 5%, 3/3 |4955.3 |3475.4 |515.4
85, BT | 4043.9 |2639.9 |
85, BT, 1/3| 3877.1 |2487.0
85, BT, 2/3 | 3713.5 |2337.0
85, BT, 3/3 |3553.1 |2190.0
85, 5%, BT |3241.5 |1904.4
85, 5%, BT, 1/3 |3082.7 |1758.8
85, 5%, BT, 2/3 |2926.9 |1616.0
85, 5%, BT, 3/3 |2774.1 |1475.9
80 |1639.5 |1229.7 |410.0
80, 1/3 |1590.8 |1185.0 |373.4
80, 2/3 |1543.1 |1141.3 |337.6
80, 3/3 |1496.2 |1098.3 |302.5
80, 5%, 1/3 |1358.9 |972.4 |199.5
80, 5%, 2/3 |1313.4 |930.8 |165.4
80, 5%, 3/3 |1268.9 |889.9 |132.0
80, BT, 1/3| 992.8 |636.8
80, BT, 2/3 |950.9 |598.4 |
80, BT, 3/3 |909.8 |560.8 |
80, 5%, BT, 1/3 |789.3 |450.3|
80, 5%, BT, 2/3 |749.5 |413.8|
80, 5%, BT, 3/3 |710.3 |377.9|[/TABLE]

Haste and Channeled Spells

By now we all should be familiar with how haste affects spells with HOTs/DOTs, but its important to understand
that it also affects Channeled spells. Some spells (ie. Mind flay and Penance) cannot gain additional ticks of
themselves, but can reduce the overall channel time. How do we know how much haste affects the total number
of ticks? Well… here’s the formula:

ROUND (Base Spell Duration / ( Base Tick Time / (1 + Haste %)))

That said, the breakpoints for these spells are:

12.5% (5th tick)
37.5% (6th tick)
62.5% (7th tick)
87.5% (8th tick)

Woah there buddy… now before you go chasing these breakpoints, I am displaying these more on an academic
level. Haste, as a general rule, is a great way to increase your output based on the fact that you’ll be doing
things faster. (Faster cast times, channels, GCDs, etc).

That said, any haste beyond any of these breakpoints will simply shorten the channel time but retain the amount
of any additional ticks. For example, if you had 37.4% haste, you would have only 5 ticks (Meeting the 12.5%
breakpoint but not the 37.5%) however your channel will be substantially faster (actually as fast as possible without
gaining an actual tick). While having exactly 12.5% haste would keep you at the longest possible channel(8 sec),
and still 5 ticks of the Hymn. The overall healing that the spell did is the same, but the HPS is higher for the shorter
channel (as you are getting the same amount of healing out in a shorter period of time)— more importantly, shorter
cast times free you up to move or begin casting a new spell sooner.

Power Torrent vs. Heartsong

Originally posted by Oestrus on The Stories of O
In order to determine which enchant is a better choice for you, we need to first determine what it is that you are
looking for or what you feel you need more of.

Heartsong has a chance to give you 200 spirit for 15 seconds when casting spells. Keep in mind that spirit is purely
a regen stat. It does not give you any increases to your spell power or to your mana pool.

Power Torrent has a chance to give you 500 intellect for 12 seconds when casting spells. Intellect serves a number of
purposes. Each point of intellect after the first 10 increases your mana pool by 15. It also increases your spell
power, at a rate of 1 spell power per point of intellect.

Spirit and intellect both factor into the formulas for in combat and out of combat mana regen.

In Combat

Base mana regen + % of spirit based regen from ]Meditation & Holy Concentration x 0.016275 x spirit x square root
of the total amount of intellect

Priests have a base mana regen of 1029.5 every 5 seconds. Meditation gives you 50% of your spirit based regen
while in combat. Holy Concentration increases this amount by an additional 30%. Currently, I have 2509 spirit and
5415 intellect. The square root of 5415 is 73.59.

1029.5 + 0.80 x 0.016725 x 2509 x 73.59

Next, we do our math from left to right, starting with the multiplication. The final numbers will always be rounded
down, for the purpose of these calculations.

1029.5 + 0.01338 x 2509 x 73.59

1029.5 + 33.57042 x 73.59

1029.5 + 2470.4 = 3499

Out of Combat

Base mana regen + 0.016725 x spirit x square root of the total amount of intellect

1029.5 + 0.016725 x 2509 x 73.59

1029.5 + 41.963025 x 73.59

1029.5 + 3088.1 = 4117

These figures show what my regen would look like without any of the enchants mentioned above and without any
party or raid buffs. Now let’s take a look at what my in combat regen would look like if I had a Heartsong or Power
Torrent enchant on my weapon and the enchant procs. I’m choosing to go with in combat regen here because I
don’t feel these enchants would have as much weight if you were standing still and not in combat.

In Combat (Heartsong)

1029.5 + 0.8 x 0.016725 x 2709 x 73.59

1029.5 + 0.01338 x 2709 x 73.59

1029.5 + 36.24642 x 73.59

1029.5 + 2667.4 = 3697

In Combat (Power Torrent)

1029.5 + 0.8 x 0.016725 x 2509 x 76.91

1029.5 + 0.01338 x 2509 x 76.91

1029.5 + 33.57042 x 76.91

1029.5 + 2581.9 = 3611

As you can see, the difference is quite miniscule. You are getting more regen from a 15 second Heartsong proc
than you would from a 12 second Power Torrent proc, but not by much. The Power Torrent proc also temporarily
increases your spell power by 500 and the size of your mana pool by 7500. So it could be argued which enchant
you’re really getting more out of. Heartsong is great for regen, but only regen. Power Torrent may increase your
regen by a smaller amount, but also buffs your character in other ways.

One way that you can close the gap between Power Torrent and Heartsong is by timing a Power Torrent proc with
your Shadowfiend. Shadowfiend restores 3% of your total mana with each strike and usually strikes a target 10
times. If you have a larger mana pool, Shadowfiend will give you back more mana. This is one of the big reasons
that Shadowfiend works so well with Hymn of Hope, which also temporarily increases the size of your mana pool.
Let’s see how much mana Shadowfiend would return to you, using my unbuffed mana pool as an example.

103,122 mana x 3% = 3093 returned per swing
3093 x 10 swings from Shadowfiend = 30,930

Now, with the temporary boost to my mana pool from Power Torrent

103,122 + 7500 = 110,622
110,622 x 3% = 3318 returned per swing
3318 x 10 = 33,180

Power Torrent clearly came out ahead on that one. Keep in mind that this is only if you use your Shadowfiend
when you have a active proc from Power Torrent. If you time it wrong, you won’t see the increased returns.

=

You should kick a puppy and see if it compares. Then have a control person kick something they think is a puppy, but isn't a real one. Then have another person kick something else, like a senior citizen or toddler. Then compare your results scientifically. This would probably prove something, although I'm not sure what.

#2 Szeretlek

Szeretlek

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

*Must-have glyphs - disc
*Penance reduces cooldown by 10% [absolutely necessary]
*PW:Barrier increase healing by 10% [this looks like it will be very valuable]

VERY arguable. That glyphs definitely not must have. Prime glyphs choice depends on fight and your role (healing style)
PoH glyph absolutely much more valuable then 10 sec of 10% healing increased once in 3 min -_-

Hands
Gloves -- Mastery 50 mastery
Gloves -- Haste 50 haste

65 mastery enchant

#3 ildon

ildon

Collateral Damage

• Members
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

The PW:Barrier glyph gives 10% healing to all of your healers during the time you presumably need it most (when barrier is up during an extremely high AoE damage phase). In any fight with a phase where you would drop a barrier on most or all of your raid (which is several in DS) this glyph becomes the best thing you could have regardless of your role. You may be assigned to tank healing, but someone else has to heal those people during that phase, and Barrier is off the GCD, so there is almost zero loss in dropping it (just a half second of attention loss).

#4 Szeretlek

Szeretlek

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

The PW:Barrier glyph gives 10% healing to all of your healers during the time you presumably need it most (when barrier is up during an extremely high AoE damage phase)

As I mentioned earlier - prime glyph choice are made for certain fights. There are a fights where you cant just stay under the barrier and get healed. So you drop that glyph and take something else. There are a fights where you just running, toss shields and pom and when you stay you just mash poh like a mad - so you dont need penance glyph. Etc.

#5 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

Of all of Heroic Firelands, including many fights tank healing, Glyph of Penance was never necessary or really even a consideration. I think it very much is not mandatory and is arguably very dubious at this gear level (since basically it is a mana saving glyph that allows you to Penance instead of a Greater or Flash heal). The main rotational value of Penance at this point is simply to put Grace and Inspiration up as quickly as possible (ie tank swaps) which the glyph doesn't help with.

The stat weight section also seems a bit dated; Mastery is really not that strong for reasons discussed several times before. Some people prefer to gear it but numerically it is one of our weakest stats in terms of throughput. It has some benefit for emergency life saving (ie, making a specific shield as large as possible) but for tank healing and raid healing, it falls well behind the other stats (most notably haste) when strictly considering throughput. Simcraft and the priest spreadsheet agree completely on this analysis.
<Temerity> - Always recruiting. 12 hrs PST schedule - Valen#1972

#6 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

The math done on heartsong and power torrent is clearly from a holy perspective, it's also innacurate. Heartsong has a higher uptime than Power Torrent, so comparing the regen while they are active doesn't work. You'll also need to take into account how often both buffs are active, and consider mana gains from Rapture.

#7 Drasus

Drasus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

How important is Train of Thought these days, especially considering arison's argument that reduced cooldown on Penance is not as important at current gear levels than it was in t11? I'm wondering about the merit of dropping ToT from the A/A build in the OP in favor of something else (I'm particularly thinking of 2/3 Darkness for throughput but Surge of Light and Veiled Shadows are obviously other possibilities)

#8 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

How important is Train of Thought these days, especially considering arison's argument that reduced cooldown on Penance is not as important at current gear levels than it was in t11? I'm wondering about the merit of dropping ToT from the A/A build in the OP in favor of something else (I'm particularly thinking of 2/3 Darkness for throughput but Surge of Light and Veiled Shadows are obviously other possibilities)

I consider ToT mandatory when tank healing. The mp5 return from it is quite high. The smite/penance synergy in it is completely uninteresting but that Inner Focus reduction is a very, very considerable amount of mp5. It depends on gearing levels, content difficulty, etc, but I wouldn't get rid of it.

However, I tend to think of AA as a good raid healing spec, and SoS/ToT as a good tank healing spec. The main benefit of AA is the random Atonement heals (which are better now in 4.3) and the boost to burst AOE by popping Archangel. Since you can't really guarantee the Atonement heals hit the tank, you can't reliably use it as a spec for tank healing (well, you can, but you're missing out on a number of benefits). For some fights, AOE damage comes in bursts which line up nicely with Archangel (and, perhaps more importantly, provide opportunities for rebuilding Evangelism stacks when the burst is over).

Ultimately it depends on the fight, but given the state of Holy right now, I think it is better to have a tank healing Disc spec and a raid healing Holy spec rather than two disc specs -- Holy simply has a huge advantage for raid healing that Disc, even with full Divine Aegis consumption, can't match. We're talking, in a 25 man raid, on the order of 12k hps to 25k hps (depending on whether you can use Sanctuary on cooldown, and remembering that only one Sanctuary can be down so multiple Holy Priests don't bring as much potency as the first one brings). Given Divine Hymn's buff, the previously compelling reason for Disc raid healing -- PW:B -- is a lot less compelling now.

#9 Oestrus

Oestrus

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

The math done on heartsong and power torrent is clearly from a holy perspective, it's also innacurate. Heartsong has a higher uptime than Power Torrent, so comparing the regen while they are active doesn't work.

You're correct that the work I did on the calculations regarding Heartsong v. Power Torrent was done with a holy priest in mind. However, I question your reasoning on whether or not Heartsong has a higher uptime than Power Torrent.

While Heartsong does have a 20 second internal cooldown, compared to Power Torrent's 45 seconds, it also has a lower chance to proc (at 25%, compared to Power Torrent's 33%). It's difficult to have a higher uptime on something that you have a reduced chance to proc, in the first place.

The point of the calculations was to:

a) Illustrate that the gap between the two enchants is small, for the purposes of regen only and I believe it would continue to remain that way, even if you included the total number of procs in a given encounter.

B) Show that Power Torrent serves a number of purposes other than the regen. If you're interested in raw mana returns, then Heartsong is going to give you more mana back. But, if you want more Spell Power, temporary increases to the size of your mana pool, increases to your Critical Strike chance, etc. than Power Torrent is a better all around choice for you.

I would be interested to see your findings, when you incorporate Rapture into the formulas for both enchants and how it would affect the returns from each.
Creator of The Stories of O

Co-host of the Double O Podcast

#10 Rosin

Rosin

Priests are great!

• Moderators
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

Of all of Heroic Firelands, including many fights tank healing, Glyph of Penance was never necessary or really even a consideration. I think it very much is not mandatory and is arguably very dubious at this gear level (since basically it is a mana saving glyph that allows you to Penance instead of a Greater or Flash heal). The main rotational value of Penance at this point is simply to put Grace and Inspiration up as quickly as possible (ie tank swaps) which the glyph doesn't help with.

The stat weight section also seems a bit dated; Mastery is really not that strong for reasons discussed several times before. Some people prefer to gear it but numerically it is one of our weakest stats in terms of throughput. It has some benefit for emergency life saving (ie, making a specific shield as large as possible) but for tank healing and raid healing, it falls well behind the other stats (most notably haste) when strictly considering throughput. Simcraft and the priest spreadsheet agree completely on this analysis.

You have a good point about the Penance glyph, and I will reconsider. We just recalculated the stat weights recently, but I hesitated to even include them because I think they can easily be misleading, as the values change as your gear improves and the fights have different requirements.

You should kick a puppy and see if it compares. Then have a control person kick something they think is a puppy, but isn't a real one. Then have another person kick something else, like a senior citizen or toddler. Then compare your results scientifically. This would probably prove something, although I'm not sure what.

#11 Kimano

Kimano

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

(... remembering that only one Sanctuary can be down so multiple Holy Priests don't bring as much potency as the first one brings)

What is this intended to mean? Multiple Holy priests can each have a sanctuary down, and they stack healing with each other.
[23:37:31.608] Kimano Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +1110
[23:37:32.793] Sanctus Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +1059
[23:37:33.595] Kimano Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +1088
[23:37:34.821] Sanctus Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +*0* (O: 2332)
[23:37:35.665] Kimano Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +0 (O: 1086)
[23:37:36.860] Sanctus Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +1158
[23:37:37.661] Kimano Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +*2269*
[23:37:38.899] Sanctus Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +1149
[23:37:39.684] Kimano Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +*2162*
[23:37:40.859] Sanctus Holy Word: Sanctuary Kimano +*2307*

I also agree with arison that the Penance glyph is far from mandatory, and probably one of our weakest (main) glyphs atm. I tend to find I'm almost always running Barrier/PoH/(Penance|PW:S) simply because the PW:S and penance glyphs are both fairly weak; I PW:S slightly more often than I penance (for rapture), so I usually end up with PW:S.

I don't think including stat weights is a good idea, as all it does is encourage new priests to blindly follow the weights without understanding why they are what they are. I'd suggest a general priority similar to: Int > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit, and leave off the numerical weights. If it's useful, have it around but specify that it's only going to be accurate for one set of gear and will vary wildly depending on comp, gear, strategy, etc.

#12 xylanthar

xylanthar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I don't think including stat weights is a good idea, as all it does is encourage new priests to blindly follow the weights without understanding why they are what they are. I'd suggest a general priority similar to: Int > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit, and leave off the numerical weights. If it's useful, have it around but specify that it's only going to be accurate for one set of gear and will vary wildly depending on comp, gear, strategy, etc.

I can admit that when I first got my priest geared for raiding during mid-firelands, I blindly followed a stat priority of Int>spr>mastery>crit>haste (I can't remember where I read that, it could have been here, or manaflask) but I found myself absolutely failing at healing troll dungeons. My GH/PoH was around a 2.4sec hard cast and this just was not working out.

I think more than anything, it needs to be emphasized that haste IS very important at lower gear levels because of cast times and being able to keep a tank alive, logically it doesn't matter how much mastery or crit you have if the tank is getting pounded on and you have to wait ~2.4secs to get a GH off. At that time I re-forged from mastery to haste and I lost a whopping 5k absorption on my PW:S, but got down to a 2.2 second GH/PoH cast and it made ALL the difference in the world. This was my experience with 5mans and badly geared tanks.

As we all know in a raid environment we have more haste buffs going around, and more buffs in general so the stat priorities might change, if anything I think it would be awesome to see a stat priority based on raid buffs and healing role. I know we don't have traditional haste cliffs as disc, but for play-style's sake I think it should be touched on. If all our stats truly synergize with each other, the priority for haste IMO would come down to the individual's play-style.

#13 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

What is this intended to mean? Multiple Holy priests can each have a sanctuary down, and they stack healing with each other.

snip

Ah indeed. I'd intended to test this. Yet another way the tooltip is inaccurate.

#14 Koilie

Koilie

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Mysterious Potion was buffed with 4.3 and now returns 1-50000 Health and 1-20000 Mana Up from the old 1-15000 Health. It an excellent choice if you are an alchemist as your alchemy skill increases the minimum possible return. The heal is of course buffed by twin disciplines as well and can serve as a second desperate prayer completely off the GCD.

The macros can also be shortened as target= can be replaced with @
This is useful when adding multiple conditionals into the limited space provided.
I noticed the secondary smite macro uses this syntax and only bring it up so that players unfamiliar with macros do not become confused. In short target= is the same as @. The prime benefit of @ being a reduced impact on the character limit of the WoW macro system.

Example:
/cast [@mouseover,exists][@target,exists][@player] Heal
This would heal your mouseover if available, your target if no mouseover is present and act as a way to self heal without a modifier when no target or mouseover is present or if no mouseover is present and your target is unfriendly. Most useful for players attempting to make the transition from click healing to mouseover as it will not penalize them if they fall back into their old habits mid attempt. Also quite useful when designated as a tank healer. You can keep your tank targeted for heals and use mouseover to cross heal.
Once you go Priest... | L2Ptv Raid and Class Video Guides | YouTube Channel | Live Stream

#15 Kimano

Kimano

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

As we all know in a raid environment we have more haste buffs going around, and more buffs in general so the stat priorities might change, if anything I think it would be awesome to see a stat priority based on raid buffs and healing role. I know we don't have traditional haste cliffs as disc, but for play-style's sake I think it should be touched on. If all our stats truly synergize with each other, the priority for haste IMO would come down to the individual's play-style.

That's true to an extent, but when playing at a high level as Disc there is very little significant playstyle difference other than "are you A/A or ToT". The stat weights may change slightly based on spell selection, but for the most part there is only going to be one reasonably accurate priority list.

Phrased another way, there is no playstyle you can choose that will make Crit better than Haste that isn't clearly suboptimal.

Ah indeed. I'd intended to test this. Yet another way the tooltip is inaccurate.

I think that was intended to mean that a single priest can't have more than one down at a time, even if you somehow get the cooldown low enough, similar to ProM.

#16 Sokaris84

Sokaris84

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

I guess it's inevitable that the haste vs * discussion comes up in these threads every time :( As usual I'll weigh in with my two cents on the subject. In my experience, haste is always undervalued by sims and theorycrafters because they do not take into account the 'utility' that having extra haste gives. There are times in the game when you need a heal to land quick, or you are waiting for your GCD to end so you can shield someone to save them. Yes, stacking mastery will (obviously) let you put a bigger shield on people, but if you don't get that shield on them in the first place then it was all for nothing.

Another obvious example is when you are casting a lot of cast time spells, and the fight calls for instant movement. Extra haste can make the difference between allowing a heal to land before you need to move, and having to move before the cast lands.

At the end of the day it is our job to save lives. I have always been of the opinion that no other stat lets us save lives in a pinch like haste does.

Also as per usual, I will put my disclaimer on this statement ;) I'm not saying one way or the other that this makes haste the better stat, I'm simply stating that it raises it's value considerably over what you see on sims. Personally for most of this expansion I have kept both mastery and haste quite even in terms of stat rating, since (especially for disc) they synergize well with each other.

Agreed, it's a situational glyph rather than a mandatory one (as so many glyphs are panning out to be...). I found it particularly uselful on Spine of Deathwing, for building up Grace stacks quickly on debuffed players.

#17 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

Haste definitely is the best throughput stat unless you run out of mana -- then it actually is a negative throughput stat. For a disc aoe healer, if your mana is fine, go haste; otherwise go crit. Haste does affort a lot of the benefits of completing casts before you move, etc, though the counterargument there is "if you have 2.5 seconds to case, and PoH takes 2.3, then haste didn't help throughput, but if you had a 2.5s cast that hit harder, other stats are superior." Basically though I agree -- haste > * but if and only if you aren't running out of mana.

#18 Guest_Amnesty_*

Guest_Amnesty_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

Why is mastery being valued so highly as Disc in current tiers? As many of us are almost exclusively raid healers, both haste and crit should be valued much higher than mastery. As stated above, haste, for obvious reasons, takes the place as the number one throughput stat so long as you're comfortable with your mana. Crit nearly doubles your DA's, although relies a lot on RNG. Mastery only increases our DA's marginally per point of mastery, and only truly shines through PW:S. Can anyone clarify this?

#19 Kimano

Kimano

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

Mastery > Crit and arguably Haste for throughput once you see PoH/Shield become >~75% of your healing done.

The more raid healing you do, the better and better mastery is because PoH is a guaranteed DA, which seriously devalues crit, and haste takes more itemization to achieve a 1% increase in healing.

#20 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

Mastery > Crit and arguably Haste for throughput once you see PoH/Shield become >~75% of your healing done.

The more raid healing you do, the better and better mastery is because PoH is a guaranteed DA, which seriously devalues crit, and haste takes more itemization to achieve a 1% increase in healing.

This is incorrect. Crit has more impact on PoH spam than does Mastery because PoH double dips on crit -- not only is the heal bigger, but the resulting DA is twice the size of what it should be. You can test this for yourself -- non-crit DAs from PoH are going to be around 3k on a 7k heal, but a 14k heal results in around a 12k DA. You can mentally think of this as the game saying "okay, the PoH heal was X make a DA of 0.3*X*Mastery as guaranteed by the spell. Oh, it was a crit, make a DA of 0.3*X*Mastery and combine with the existing one." The result is that crit is significantly stronger than Mastery for raid healing.

The one and only time Mastery surpasses either crit or haste pure shield spam which is not generally a sustainable or advised healing strategy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users