• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 flense

flense

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

Shane Dibiri, Jeff Kaplan, Tom Chilton, Rob Pardo talking about WoW (of course) and other games.

Not much *hardcore* infos but still pretty interesting. (Turns out Onyxia's deep breath is just totally random, DOTs be damned. Thank you for not crucifying me if you already knew that)

streaming - http://www.gamevideo.../video/id/12155

WMV 640x360 - Download 260MB
http://zdmedia.vo.ll...ial_640x360.zip

QT 640x360 - Download 234MB
http://zdmedia.vo.ll...ecial_quick.zip

QT M4V (Podcast) - Download 222MB
http://zdmedia.vo.ll...807blizzard.m4v

#2 archz0r

archz0r

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:02 AM

Nothing really new, except the Onyxia part which already was kinda figured out. Enjoyed watching it though, was kinda fun.

#3 Quigon

Quigon

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:04 AM

I don't believe that onyxia's deep breath is random. When we went in with 10 people she would deep breath nonstop (like 12 times in a row). When we went in with 40 dps'ing fairly solid, she didn't deep breath for 6 months. I realize there is a time issue, but not that much. Perhaps we're just hella lucky and won lotto - 90 times or so in a row. Perhaps the devs have bugs in their encounters... then again we all know SSC is perfection. Anyway, they seem utterly convinced its random. The only interesting parts of the entire interview are when Kaplan is talking; he's the only who seems genuinely passionate about the game.

#4 topojijo

topojijo

Devout follower in the Holy Church of Beast Lore

• Allied Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:51 AM

I always had a lingering feeling of it being random so at least it was confirmed. Probably the most amusing part of the interview was their mentioning of a UBRS run. I can only imagine joining pugs and listening to what the crazy people are saying.

I definitely understand where Jeff is coming from with asking questions. It was something I always did, but in my old guild I always would read here or other sites and post info like this is coming in the patch notes, or hey here is a neat item. The running joke then was that I worked for Blizzard since I always seemed to have the "insider info".

#5 Cromfel

Cromfel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for pointing this out. it was indeed fun to watch. I didnt really have that specific information about their background, so that was new information for me. Well worth watching. Maybe that WoW TV thingie they mentioned will some day be serving us with possibility to watch arena games.
.:. Retribution Paladin Hideout .:. http://cromfel.battlefield.fi/

#6 Intermission

Intermission

Spiral out, keep going

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:34 AM

As the poster said, no hardcore cutting edge information, but a great watch.

Nice to put some faces to the names and see how some of the WoW bigwigs feel about the game.

/reminisces Naxx (and BWL-AQ!)

#7 Tiburon11

Tiburon11

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:55 AM

As the poster said, no hardcore cutting edge information, but a great watch.

Nice to put some faces to the names and see how some of the WoW bigwigs feel about the game.

/reminisces Naxx (and BWL-AQ!)

Man, I really miss the old 40-man raids. There were just so many more personalities to keep the raids exciting.

#8 Kazanir

Kazanir

Mr. Sandman

•  Patrons
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:10 AM

I don't believe that onyxia's deep breath is random. When we went in with 10 people she would deep breath nonstop (like 12 times in a row). When we went in with 40 dps'ing fairly solid, she didn't deep breath for 6 months. I realize there is a time issue, but not that much. Perhaps we're just hella lucky and won lotto - 90 times or so in a row. Perhaps the devs have bugs in their encounters... then again we all know SSC is perfection. Anyway, they seem utterly convinced its random. The only interesting parts of the entire interview are when Kaplan is talking; he's the only who seems genuinely passionate about the game.

We've gone in with 5-10 and had her chain-breath one attempt and not breath at all the next, with no changes to what we did. I'm willing to believe it's programmed as random, at least, with Wi-flag style bugs possibly scattered somewhere in the code...anyway derail off
'War' is too small a word for what I'm fighting. Like a candle in front of the whole burning Sun. Now, I am not going to die today. I have other projects, and other options.

You can come with me. I can protect you.

#9 MeCh

MeCh

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:58 AM

The conquest bit was pretty hilarious.

#10 Quigon

Quigon

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:22 AM

We've gone in with 5-10 and had her chain-breath one attempt and not breath at all the next, with no changes to what we did. I'm willing to believe it's programmed as random, at least, with Wi-flag style bugs possibly scattered somewhere in the code...anyway derail off

And if I'm not mistaken, the Wi-flag style bugs were sworn upon by players for a long time, while the devs claimed it didn't exist. Yet, in the end, it did. Again, maybe we won the lottery. If she doesn't deep breath immediately then it would make more sense, as she dies before the first gap. Their random number generator though, or just random ability usage is pretty awful though - I've done nightbane before where he didn't fear a single time - and their consistency patch still had moments where he wouldn't fear for an entire phase 1.

#11 Andeh

Andeh

The Titleless

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:54 AM

IIRC, the Wi flag was certain character IDs causing the player's distance to mob calculation (when it came to choosing who to attack) to get screwed up. Like wrapping around. So when a party of equal level players entered a room, some of them would be correctly out of detectable range, but a Wi-flagged character would not be, and everything would make a beeline for them.

#12 Davidson

Davidson

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:14 AM

IIRC, the Wi flag was certain character IDs causing the player's distance to mob calculation (when it came to choosing who to attack) to get screwed up. Like wrapping around. So when a party of equal level players entered a room, some of them would be correctly out of detectable range, but a Wi-flagged character would not be, and everything would make a beeline for them.

Basically there was a hidden attribute for each character that was somehow affecting aggro (in that game aggro had very little to do with damage, and more to do with distance). Wi was a player who basically had anything aggro him, regardless of what anyone else was doing.

#13 Kazanir

Kazanir

Mr. Sandman

•  Patrons
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:24 AM

The Wi-flag was indeed exactly as Quigon says, people swore up and down that it existed, the devs swore that it did not, but it ended up indeed existing. Ony's Deep Breath could be the same.

What happened was that when mobs would spawn, the total distance of all the players in range of a mob, to the mob, would be added up. For example, say you have a party of 5 people who are each 5 meters from the mob. That means that you a total distance of 25 meters. Then you look at the ratio of your distance from the mob to the total distance. So now each person has a .2 ratio. But since Turbine wanted a closer distance to have a higher chance to "gain aggro", they took the reverse of that ratio: 1-X. So now you have each player in my example having a .8 ratio. So that means that now added up, one has to generate a random number between 0 and 4.0, since each player has a .8 range...except that Turbine's code only ever rolled a number between 0 and 1. That means that whoever had their "aggro chance" parsed first by the server would almost always end up with aggro...and since your "parsing order" was assigned by your instanceID, which was an immutable number assigned to your character on creation, many players would ALWAYS end up on the low end of the distance table and be "Wi-flagged" for death.
'War' is too small a word for what I'm fighting. Like a candle in front of the whole burning Sun. Now, I am not going to die today. I have other projects, and other options.

You can come with me. I can protect you.

#14 Astiron

Astiron

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:29 AM

That was a great watch. I really enjoy getting this kind of info from the devs, to see what their backgrounds are and why the game plays out because of it.

And this interview was pretty telling. The focus of the game has been raiding since before it's inception. Yet they will never put this to words, and continue to try to "casualize" the game, despite the fact that everything is tuned around raiding ...from crafting to talents.

That's a shame. This game has much more potential than that.

#15 Lumines

Lumines

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:36 AM

So nice to see the developers of WoW giving props to other MMOs. UO will always be in the top 3 favorite games of all time for me.

#16 heel

heel

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:51 AM

A lot of nostalgia in that video. Conquest 'sploits and explanation of UO complete with screenshot of Lum (how'd that get in there?). Good stuff. It's reassuring that the guys who make WoW are oldschool MMO vets themselves.

#17 Lord BEEF

Lord BEEF

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:11 AM

That was a great watch. I really enjoy getting this kind of info from the devs, to see what their backgrounds are and why the game plays out because of it.

And this interview was pretty telling. The focus of the game has been raiding since before it's inception.

That's all they were asked about. I'm sure if he asked about pvp and arenas they'd have lots to say
Check out my friend's bitchin' Lord of the Rings Art

#18 Brissa

Brissa

Not enough rage

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:42 AM

And this interview was pretty telling. The focus of the game has been raiding since before it's inception. Yet they will never put this to words, and continue to try to "casualize" the game, despite the fact that everything is tuned around raiding ...from crafting to talents.

That's a shame. This game has much more potential than that.

It isnt suprising thats the angle the round table took since the guy from the news site 1up (luke smith) was raidleader for a high end raidguild with top 10 worldfirst kills on some bosses.

#19 Patrik

Patrik

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

Do you have more info about Luke Smiths guild, or perhaps his character? I know few guys from GameSpot play WoW actively, but on more casual level I think.

#20 Astiron

Astiron

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

It isnt suprising thats the angle the round table took since the guy from the news site 1up (luke smith) was raidleader for a high end raidguild with top 10 worldfirst kills on some bosses.

I don't know the Luke guy, but that's not exactly what I meant.

I was more referencing the point Kaplan made when he talked about Naxx having been under construction before release. All tuning in the game has been done based on this (raiding), which I am NOT suggesting is some horrible thing. But simply that it's a pretty skewed system the players play in. Essentially, nothing you do really has [progressive] value unless you raid, since all items and content are geared towards that end. It's no wonder the honor system failed under that design philosophy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users