• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vhal

Vhal

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

So, Cataclysm is winding down. The next expansion -- and its character reset -- looms. Perhaps you're bored with your current role or just want to switch to a platemail-wearing cow just because. Anyway, it's now the time where folks might have more interest in leveling a character to 85 to seamlessly switch over in the expansion.

Hopefully this thread can serve as a resource for saving a bit of time and sanity for anyone focused on getting another character to max level before the expansion -- there is, unfortunately, not much discussion about this of the quality of EJ forums out there.

So, there should be a few areas to discuss:

Questing/Queuing. There's probably not a lot to talk about here; my previous 1-85 in Cataclysm found questing smooth from 1-60 and dare I say it fun until that point due to the revamp, but then annoying jumping backwards two expansions to TBC quest content at 60.

As said, there's probably not all that much to talk about here -- tanks get nearly instant queues and can hit 85 without ever seeing a gold question mark. DPS isn't as lucky. As it would be virtually impossible for Blizzard to keep all questing zones balanced in terms of experience gain, it follows that there's a ideal questing path for any level, although the difference between them may not be enough to really matter.

PvP. Changes to PvP experience gain have made this option a lot better than it was, unfortunately honor gain is a trickle, and the honor merchants selling non-max-level-or-"legacy" gear are spread all over the world, forcing either lots of extra travel time or slow gear progression (leading to worse performance in PvP as time goes on...). And you still have to deal with either bringing a lot of talent with you, or getting a random group and being stuck forever accomplishing nothing as neither side is good enough to actually do anything.

I suspect that a coordinated group doing WSG (or, if ambitious enough, AB; WSG lets you have fast wins if you can dominate with a small group; AB/EotS certainly allow it, but it's a lot harder to get a really fast win without fielding a full team) could level at blazing speed, but you run into the problem of keeping all of the characters within the same exp band to fit into the same BG. I'd be very interested in any experiences from folks trying this.

Recruit-a-Friend. Here's the big deal. Since multiboxing is within the terms of service, you don't even need a friend to gain the advantage.

300% experience gain for the price of a second account, and once you get the recruited character to 80, you get 40 levels to give away to characters on the main account; this is basically three characters to 80 for the time of one if multiboxed.

This is probably the fastest way to level; I'm hoping we can get some folks talking about rapid leveling using this technique. I'm currently fiddling with writing some multiboxing tools for this, so might have something useful to contribute in the near-but-not-immediate future.

#2 Vhal

Vhal

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

This probably renders a lot of the leveling thing moot:

Earn Legendary Rewards with the New Scroll of Resurrection - World of Warcraft

Summary: Have access to an old WoW account that's canceled? You can get a free character bump to 80 and a realm transfer.

#3 quindo

quindo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

I have to wonder if they will disable the SoR and RaF services during the launch of MoP to slow down the speed at which people level a monk. I would imagine these limitation would not be removed. This means that you could SoR, roll a monk, and instantly get a lvl 80 monk on day one of MoP. If the monk turns out to be overpowered/high on meters compared to other classes for the first tier of content I can see a lot of guilds doing this to cut out as much of the leveling grind as possible.

#4 Zynth

Zynth

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

Here are the "rules" for the promotion:
Let’s Talk Updated Scroll of Resurrection - World of Warcraft

At the bottom is states that it is a limited time offer so I wouldn't be surprised if it expires before MoP's launch.

#5 Marling

Marling

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

My main account has been inactive for a couple of months now. Does anyone know if I can create a new account, and then use the new account to resurrect my main account? I guess the question is, do you have to have an active account for a certain amount of time before you get to give a scroll of resurrection?

#6 Vhal

Vhal

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

My main account has been inactive for a couple of months now. Does anyone know if I can create a new account, and then use the new account to resurrect my main account? I guess the question is, do you have to have an active account for a certain amount of time before you get to give a scroll of resurrection?

Even if it doesn't work that way, it should be easy enough to get a kind soul here to send you one; I would have, but my EU account is deactivated, and battle.net won't let me send one from one of my German characters.

It should work easily enough if the account is recently deactivated; it worked on my wife's account which was deactivated a couple of weeks before the deadline due to the credit card the subscription was on expiring.

#7 etrnl

etrnl

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

According to this post about a week ago, the new Scroll of Resurrection is "roughly" a month out from expiring (or being revamped for something else). So I doubt it will be anywhere close to being usable when Mists launches. I don't think it was intended to be alive for more than 90 days, anyways as you could technically get X free 80s every 90 days, X being how many WoW accounts you have in your possession.

#8 Faerymellen

Faerymellen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

Marling, it's doubtful that it would take even a modicum of altruism for anyone to send you a Scroll of Resurrection, considering the benefit to the sender. If you can't find another on the forum, pm me. I'll gladly help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users