• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 lairpie

lairpie

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

As far as I know you'll end at 80.9. Personally I'm going for the non-pandaren solution with 399/400 lvl1 xp, which should end up at about 4k xp short of lvl81 (less if i time the exploration xp of stormwind correctly).

I RAF boosted a character this weekend to 80.8 from 79.8 (didn't want to risk ruining my test so i stopped at .8), so unless something changes between then and now, confirmed can go right to almost 81. Lets see if i can sell these level 80 tankards to other future monks anyway.

Also note: you get a weapon almost right away in Pandaria at 85.

#22 Rachel!

Rachel!

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

I know that right now, we only have the barest overview of raid and challenge mode mechanics to come in MoP. However, I'm wondering what percentage of our healing is likely to require mistweaving at range versus "fistweaving" (as some are calling it) in melee. And what factors decide which mode is most appropriate for the occasion? I'm main-swapping from priest to mistweaver, and I'd like to be able to look at boss mechanics ahead of time and eyeball when it's best to do each. Should we be aiming to fistweave as much as possible, and only move out to mistweave when it becomes too dangerous to stay in melee range? Is mistweaving almost always preferable in certain group types (5-man vs 10-man vs 25-man)? Should raid-healers be fistweaving almost constantly, whereas tank healers should almost always be mistweaving? Or is it always just going to be a constant balancing act, depending on ambient conditions?

In my experience on beta (which I stopped playing a few weeks back, so the numbers have probably been tweaked and re-tweaked in the meantime), I didn't feel as though fistweaving was adequate to keep up a tank in heroic 5-mans. On the couple 25-man bosses I was able to test as a raid-healer, fistweaving seemed quite good. But not so much in heroics. It was most problematic at the beginning of pulls, when damage output is heaviest. It seems like fistweaving requires a not-insignificant ramp-up period to get all the necessary buffs up and running, which just wasn't working for me on heroic multi-mob pulls.

#23 Spleener

Spleener

King Hippo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

You're pretty much right. Mistweaving is optimal for damage that's focused on one target (the tank,) fistweaving is optimal when the raid is spread out or taking uneven damage, while SCK is the optimal way to build chi when the raid is stacked up and being facefucked in glorious unison. The T30 talents also each represent each of those niches, for the most part- ZS for tank healing, CW for spread/uneven damage, and CB for clustered/even damage.

So in practice, pure fistweaving isn't going to fly in 5s (since that won't keep the tank alive) but will do well in raids (when you can get some other guy to worry about the tank instead.)

Fistweaving also pulls out ahead if there's some gimmick that increases damage but not healing in play, of course.
Big Crits, the show about wiping, killing bosses, and teabagging.

#24 Masq

Masq

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Are there any beta spreadsheets modelling monk races DPS at the moment?
I've read conflicting reports regarding which race is best for horde. Some say Troll for berserking, some say Orc for Bloodfury and Axe expertise, and some even say Pandafor the food buff.

#25 Scaron

Scaron

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

Question about mistweaver:

Would one prioritize using Mana Tea (glyphed) when one has only one stack of Mana Tea to consume--thus putting the spell on 10 sec CD for only a 4% mana return--or should one wait for the second stack of Mana Tea?

I'm curious what is most optimal over longer fights for mana conservation.

#26 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

Question about mistweaver:

Would one prioritize using Mana Tea (glyphed) when one has only one stack of Mana Tea to consume--thus putting the spell on 10 sec CD for only a 4% mana return--or should one wait for the second stack of Mana Tea?

I'm curious what is most optimal over longer fights for mana conservation.

It won't hurt you if you have nothing better to do, either way you are receiving the same amount of mana per stack. However, since you are spending more time consuming stacks than you ought to be when you do that, it isn't something you would normally want to do. That is time you could have spent healing.

#27 Dyaus

Dyaus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

I've poked around for a fistweaving guide a little bit, didn't come up with much. Just snippets here and there.

Anyone know of a good resource? I've tried it a couple times so far. Both my DPS and HPS were lackluster so I figure I'm doing something wrong :D

#28 Iroared

Iroared

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

My plan:
80 x2. Should be plenty of them sitting around mostly forgotten.
81 or x2
83 x2
84 CoC reward
85 x2

Though I'm actually not sure: if you're at say level 11.9 when you leave pandaria, do you jump to 80.9, or just 80?

I know it's been a while since this was posted, but at 80 you can pick up a pair of 409 one-handers, which will totally obliterate any other weapon for the next 5 levels. At 85 there's a 450 fist but that's usually more expensive.

#29 pessadilla

pessadilla

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

I have not found anything on the windwalker or brewmaster threads that compares racials.

#30 Alcois

Alcois

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Ka'eng, Breath of the Shadow + Gara'kal, Fist of the Spiritbinder

or

Screaming Tiger, Qiang's Unbreakable Polearm ?

#31 Eyedore

Eyedore

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Simming my own character on a patchwerk type fight:

489 Polearm: 80078
489 + 476 Fist weapons: 81712
= 2.04% upgrade

You might want to check this interesting article: Level 90 DPS Rankings - Realistic Simulations (MoP 5.0.5)
Using a helter skelter type fight in simcraft gives the following value:

489 Polearm: 70323
489 + 476 Fist weapons: 70343
= 0.03% upgrade

Make your own conclusions ;)
Or even better: run simcraft yourself, with your own gear

#32 Bemxuu

Bemxuu

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

This question does not belong in pure theorycrafting topic, but it's appropriate here, I guess.
Can anyone recommend a good addon or TMW/PowerAura set that would track how much damage has your Touch of Karma absorbed (any rough estimates based on damage done by it since it was used and dot applied to a mob would do)? I don't really like explaining myself after soaking too much damage standing in that fire and nearly dying =/

#33 Crautus

Crautus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hello fellow monk players,

I would like to foward a question.
Is there a chance of a dps gain if I put the Hitcap to 15% for a WW Dual Wield Monk? I'm asking this since with my actual gear and guildprogress I wont get much of haste tagged equip.
At this point I would like to ask how the talent Tiger Strikes workes?

best regards,

a WW Monk

#34 Jarush

Jarush

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I've been wondering if Ascension buff is still live at ptr. There have been lots of ptr patch notes lately that include other changes that were implemented at the same time with Acension buff but those new notes haven't mentioned anything about Ascension. That made me wondering if it's removed or if it's still in. Anyone can confirm this?

#35 Mattyr

Mattyr

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

noticed the dps version of this answer but which would be more ideal for a mistweaver to choose for a wep, 1h/oh or 2h, or is it situational as in if we are in melee jabbing away we would want something else over the other?

#36 Epimetheus

Epimetheus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hi,

as our Maintank is on holidays for 3 weeks, I am back to tanking as a brewmaster (from healing).

I tried the heart of fear lfr raids totday and was shocked how I got nuked by the trash. Any stun and I'am done - no healer can heal when I can't get my stagger damage away and shuffle falls off. Anything I could do? As my AOE Damage is enormous, I might pull more threat than the other tank, but he - however - had no similar problems, when I was already dead...

Any comments would be very helpful.

#37 Crevan

Crevan

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

It seems to be a recurring theme this tier - some trash packs are rivaling raid bosses in difficulty. Even our main blood tank got eaten by HoF trash on a few occasions. My advice is - use CC and defensive cooldowns aggressively.

#38 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I've been wondering if Ascension buff is still live at ptr. There have been lots of ptr patch notes lately that include other changes that were implemented at the same time with Acension buff but those new notes haven't mentioned anything about Ascension. That made me wondering if it's removed or if it's still in. Anyone can confirm this?

The Ascension buff is on the PTR still. It bumps our mana up to 345k. This primarily increases our mana tea regeneration. It does not increase our spell costs, our base regeneration rate, or spirit regeneration.

#39 Blehninja

Blehninja

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

I've tried the first boss and accompanying trash, and they hit hard. Also on the pre-Elegon trash, the wardens can be a bitch especially if you are tanking the second and he gets his Wardens fury and you are relaxing as it is just trash you die, whereas the DK tank fared much better. From my experience AoE packs we work well because we create so many healing orbs through gift of the ox so we heal ourselves, but on the bigger hitting trash we need to treat it as a boss.

And a question: How to you guys deal with picking up your orbs when tanking bosses? Some bosses are fine, but I've tried a few that basically spas out when I sidestep to grab some orbs.

#40 Crevan

Crevan

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Pre-Elegon trash is a special case, all tanks will have some problems there. The safest way to deal with them is to ping-pong them between tanks while they have the damage increasing buff up.

As for your second question - there's no easy way around this. But so far in my experience, the only boss where this caused major positioning problems was Gara'jal, where avoiding hits is much more preferable than healing up yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users