Photo

Windwalker (DPS): a flurry of tender fisting.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#561 Saltycracker

Saltycracker

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Has anyone made a more recent list of trinkets and their rankings? What is the soft cap for haste as well? I seem to remember reading 6800 or so but I can't find it now.

There is no cut and dry soft haste cap. It depends on if you are taking Power Strikes or Ascension and also how much mastery you have. Generally if you have 15% - 20% haste you are in a good spot with ascension, but your mileage may vary.
Twitter - @Saltyeric
Monk Windwalker Spreadsheet - https://docs.google....RsNVJSZlE#gid=6
WW 5.4 PTR Spreadsheet - hhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anhp6CgrSES9dFJFVk11S3lrNldPNXNnelhPVVN6aXc#gid=2

#562 Eyedore

Eyedore

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Update on my old trinket list:

I ran SimulationCraft 510-8 to get scale values for the simc monk 1h normal mode and heroic mode profiles:

Normal mode gear Monk dual wield (crit: 6081, haste: 4047):
agi: 3.12
AP: 1.09
crit: 1.32
haste: 1.68
mastery: 0.86

[table]trinket|from|description|icd|proc%|procs every|score
|heroic|mastery, agility proc|45|15|48.34|6146
|heroic|agility, crit proc|105|15|108.34|5953
|normal|mastery, agility proc|45|15|48.34|5445
|darkmoon card|agility, agility proc|55|20|63.06|5303
|normal|agility, crit proc|105|15|108.34|5275
|5.1 rep|agility, crit use|60|-|-|4861
|lfr|mastery, agility proc|45|15|48.34|4823
|lfr|agility, crit proc|105|15|108.34|4675
|valor points|agility, haste use|60|-|-|4876
|normal|agility, haste use|60|-|-|4876[/table]

Heroic mode gear Monk dual wield (crit: 8035, haste: 3691):
agi: 3.43
AP: 1.20
crit: 1.49
haste: 1.63
mastery: 0.73

[table]trinket|from|description|icd|proc%|procs every|score
|heroic|mastery, agility proc|45|15|48.34|6494
|heroic|agility, crit proc|105|15|108.34|6600
|normal|mastery, agility proc|45|15|48.34|5752
|darkmoon card|agility, agility proc|55|20|63.06|5829
|normal|agility, crit proc|105|15|108.34|5848
|5.1 rep|agility, crit use|60|-|-|5381
|lfr|mastery, agility proc|45|15|48.34|5095
|lfr|agility, crit proc|105|15|108.34|5183
|valor points|agility, haste use|60|-|-|5166
|normal|agility, haste use|60|-|-|5166[/table]

There are a couple of things to consider here:
First of all the simc monk profiles might be outdated, they go for full crit while you might want some more haste (I am personally also going for full crit atm).
The VP and trash drop trinkets with haste on use seem to be good on paper, but ask yourself if you can really use them on cooldown without energy capping.

On normal mode it really comes down to choosing two out of three trinkets: Bottle/Terror/Relic.
The Bottle procs alot but has the base mastery as drawback. The Terror doesnt proc very often and does not proc agi, but has a nice amount of agi as base. Relic is sort of in between that, but has agi as base stat and as proc.

Any feedback is appreciated and I will try to update this list of needed.

#563 promdates

promdates

King Beard

•  Patrons
  • 3602 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Has anyone made a more recent list of trinkets and their rankings? What is the soft cap for haste as well? I seem to remember reading 6800 or so but I can't find it now.

I created an excel spreadsheet that lists all of the trinkets and their upgrade counterparts. All you have to do is put your stat weights in the Green cells for WW and Blue for BrM. Go to either the Tank or DPS trinkets, pick your reforge option and then hit Sort. It will sort the list based on the Value Highest>Lowest.

https://www.dropbox....b/Trinkets.xlsm
BNet: promdates#1460

#564 Bloodvalor

Bloodvalor

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

There is no cut and dry soft haste cap. It depends on if you are taking Power Strikes or Ascension and also how much mastery you have. Generally if you have 15% - 20% haste you are in a good spot with ascension, but your mileage may vary.

So "generally" you should be looking at 6378-8504 haste if you take Ascension?

That just feels like a lot of haste to me.

#565 Arathius

Arathius

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

There isnt really a hard number. Your personal haste value to become soft capped for a specific encounter will vary. Strategies that your raid uses may differ, giving you more or less time of un-disturbed dps, luck with mastery procs coming at good times, mastery level, etc. In general the only way you can know how much haste to look at aiming for on a specific fight is just by playing it, finding what youre comfortable with and have the best results with.

While undergeared, Im running about 3k haste atm and I rarely have resource deficits, just to use that as an example. Another thing to consider is that while your haste value on a target dummy may be ~6k to get to your resource cap, at any given time you might have to move, stop dps on a boss for a few seconds, etc. In which case crit gains in value over haste due to the need to capitalize on the time you do have to dps.

TL;DR play around with it. Your personal haste cap wont be as high as 6k usually, and you should find the value that you play the best with for each encounter since it will vary

#566 tastysnack

tastysnack

Kind of hates everything.

• • Guide Author
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

So "generally" you should be looking at 6378-8504 haste if you take Ascension?

That just feels like a lot of haste to me.

No... I've been doing just fine at a nudge south of 4k haste. In fact, most of the monks I've seen who pull top parses are sitting at 4K, maybe 5K max (which, I have NEVER seen a top-end Windwalker go that high). After that, they go for pure crit. Note that I typically use Fists of Fury and Energizing Brew on CD.

The only time I am sitting at or above 6K is if I happen to be tanking that night - at which point I spec into Power Strikes since Ascension is just too much energy. And even then, I can see the difference in my damage haste stacked vs. crit stacked.
[SMALL]Twitter - @CalliMonkEj
Watch me raid Sun-Thursday 8:30-11:30 PST at my stream

#567 crazy dodo

crazy dodo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I should preface my question by mentioning that most of my observations are based on LFR with full buffs.

I keep hesitating to use FoF unless I am certain that I will not cap energy while doing so, which is very seldom for some reason. I keep reading that it should be used pretty much on cooldown so I wonder

1. Is it ok to cap energy during FoF?
2. Should it be used during Heroism/Bloodlust?
3. Is it worth using TEB for FoF?
4. Should FoF be used if it'll delay RSK by 1-2 seconds?
5. Is there a damage reduction mechanic for FoF depending on how far from the target you are? (I keep seeing some funny numbers on single target fights)

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks

We have you surrounded, at least from this side.

#568 Eyedore

Eyedore

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

1. Is it ok to cap energy during FoF?
2. Should it be used during Heroism/Bloodlust?
3. Is it worth using TEB for FoF?
4. Should FoF be used if it'll delay RSK by 1-2 seconds?
5. Is there a damage reduction mechanic for FoF depending on how far from the target you are? (I keep seeing some funny numbers on single target fights)

I did some calculations for capping energy, and delaying RSK during FoF:
http://elitistjerks....33/#post2229983

I'm not a 100% sure that those calculations are perfect, so what I would suggest is to use FoF only if the cooldown left on RSK is more than 2-3 seconds, and you are below 80 energy ( in which case you will cap some energy).

2. I think you can use it during BL/Heroism (because FoF channel time will be shorter too), but you are less likely to find a good moment to do so.
3. yes.
5. If so I don't know about it and I haven't seen anything to suggest it.

#569 Vishiz

Vishiz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

On the ptr now, the multiplier is most def working exactly as it was worded. You get the 1.6 base. after that every 600 mastery = .2% more damage PER STACK so 600 mastery would be 2% more damage at 10 stacks.

As it stands, and I know this isn't worth much, but its been roughly a 35-40k dps gain on the dummy so far and I haven't even been weaving in chi wave or anything fancy.

I'm going to be running some more testing soon when mailboxes and portals start working.

#570 Saltycracker

Saltycracker

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

As it stands, and I know this isn't worth much, but its been roughly a 35-40k dps gain on the dummy so far and I haven't even been weaving in chi wave or anything fancy.

Yea, I saw the same thing with my spreadsheet calculations when they posted the patch notes. Mastery scales exponentially, kind of like how Armor Penetration used to work. I'm sure that they are going to have to change the coefficient, or change the mastery a little before live. Right now it's a stronger stat than agility once you get enough of it.
Twitter - @Saltyeric
Monk Windwalker Spreadsheet - https://docs.google....RsNVJSZlE#gid=6
WW 5.4 PTR Spreadsheet - hhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anhp6CgrSES9dFJFVk11S3lrNldPNXNnelhPVVN6aXc#gid=2

#571 Crevan

Crevan

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

A note on Nimble Brew - it does not share a cooldown with the PVP trinkets or human racial.

#572 Aldriana

Aldriana

Mike Tyson

• Moderators
  • 13510 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Please move further discussion to the new thread. Thanks.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users