• Please log in to reply
455 replies to this topic

#1 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

This guide was woefully out of date and has been removed.
<Temerity> - Always recruiting. 12 hrs PST schedule - Valen#1972

#2 PowerBaton

PowerBaton

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

There is patch ongoing on beta servers, it brings us two major changes in terms of healing

Renewing Mists: Now heals every 3 sec for 15 sec, up from every 1 sec for 10 sec.
Stance of the Wise Serpent: Now also increases your spell and melee hit rating equal to your Spirit gained from items or effects.
Summon Jade Serpent Statue: Now has a 1.5 sec cast time, down from 5 sec

Nerf of Renewing Mista and hooray, spell and melee hit!

Aswell as some minor changes:

Healing Sphere:
Now sphere lasts 2 min, up from 30 sec.
Meditation: Duration reduced to 8 sec, down from 10 sec.
Roll: 50 energy cost removed.
Spinning Crane Kick: Now as Channeled spell. Duration reduced to 3 sec, down from 6 sec.

#3 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

Roll has been given a longer cooldown instead of costing energy or mana. Roll starts with 2 charges and these charges have individual 18 second cooldowns, roll will display how many charges are available. So for instance you may use both charges, roll twice in a row, and wait 18 seconds.. or use them separately. Roll also has an updated animation.

Soothing Mists and Chi Wave have had their level requirements swapped. Soothing Mists is available at level 10 now, which should help monks in the first few dungeons that become available.

Ghostcrawler has stated that Chi Wave is not intended to bounce from friendly -> friendly or enemy -> enemy targets but is intended to rebound to targets that have been hit. I don't know whether it is rebounding as stated, if this wasn't added in the last update at least this announcement will alleviate concerns regarding the viability of Chi Wave in raiding contexts. Given that it prefers the closest target, this could allow tanks to position themselves to assure that every bounce will hit them.

I think all of these changes sound positive. Some helpful things such as hit rating and having soothing mists available earlier on will be greatly appreciated. And some things that were obviously too good were scaled back a bit.

#4 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Is Clobber not costing energy for anyone right now?

#5 PowerBaton

PowerBaton

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

As Mistweaver Clobbering cost nothing if you're in Wise Serpent stance, goin to Tiger stance makes it cost again Energy

#6 Hidden

Hidden

King Hippo

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

It's quite weird for me:
Using staves it costs nothing, using axe + oh it's unusable and using anything else it costs 500 mana at 85. I guess it's supposed to cost 500 mana since that's consistent between most of the weapon types.

From what I've seen so far the Jade Statues and Healing Spheres also feel fairly clunky:
Spheres having a cast time and healing for a negligible amount just don't feel rewarding at all.
Jade Statues being on a 6 minute (?) cooldown and their healing effect only having 20y range also makes them feel fairly useless compared to e.g. Smite priests just having to change a glyph. In addition to that all your melee attacks only seem to scale off of weapon DPS and AP so you're actually better off using Agi gear or at least swapping to a DPS weapon if you really want to make use of that effect.

At the same time, however, switching to a DPS weapon using Spinning Crane Kick on AoE packs is insanely fun and actually comparable healing to AoE healing without it.

#7 PowerBaton

PowerBaton

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

It's quite weird for me:
Using staves it costs nothing, using axe + oh it's unusable and using anything else it costs 500 mana at 85. I guess it's supposed to cost 500 mana since that's consistent between most of the weapon types.

I've done some tests last night, if you're using Axe + OH, then it costs mana, if you're using other main hand (sword, mace, fist), then it's free, wondering it's intended to cost mana or axes are just bugged.

#8 Hidden

Hidden

King Hippo

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

I've done some tests last night, if you're using Axe + OH, then it costs mana, if you're using other main hand (sword, mace, fist), then it's free, wondering it's intended to cost mana or axes are just bugged.

I just rechecked and that's not what I'm seeing. In healer stance the shown costs are:
Staff: None - Matches functionality
Axe: 40 Energy and 500 Mana - Matches functionality - you still have Energy (even though hidden) and can only use it as long as you have 500 Mana and had >40 Energy when leaving your damage stance. Energy doesn't regenerate while in healer stance so you can do a maximum of 2 Severs before running out of Energy and having to change stances again.
Any other: 500 Mana only - Matches functionality

#9 Yörgle

Yörgle

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

It's just that Axes seem to be bugged.
Tank Monks who try to equip an axe in MH can't use Sever (chi builder) as it requires mana.

#10 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Mistweavers aren't receiving any benefit from spirit so far as I can tell. No 50% combat regen, though they do have some static regen.

#11 Hildegard

Hildegard

King Hippo

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

This macro works for interrupts. Interesting fact is that Jab still costs energy and if you are a low the interrupt will not work.

#show Spear Hand Strike
/cast [stance:1] Stance of the Fierce Tiger
/cast [stance:2] Spear Hand Strike
/cast [stance:2] Stance of the Wise Serpent
Hildegard Sprigglespruxx - Arena Junkies Content Editor
AJ - Facebook - Twitter - Reddit - youTube

#12 PowerBaton

PowerBaton

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

This macro works for interrupts. Interesting fact is that Jab still costs energy and if you are a low the interrupt will not work.

#show Spear Hand Strike
/cast [stance:2] Spear Hand Strike

Any of thoes casts are out of GCD? or it takes 4,5sec to interrupt ?

#13 Hildegard

Hildegard

King Hippo

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Stance changes cause no global cooldown if I am not mistaken, but I did not pay attention to this. Maybe it works only because Spear Hand Strike is off the GCD, like all interrupts. It goes so fast, that the energy bar is merely displayed. This is why it took me some time to figure out, why sometimes the interrupt did not work (energy). I hit the button twice of course.

Edit:
While levelling I found Stance Dance to be quite effective, as it is not on the GCD and has no opportunity cost associated. So Jab/Clobber, Tiger Palm and Blackout Kick are 20% stronger in the Stance of the Fierce Tiger. So I switch for those into SoFT and for healing back / Chi Wave back. With some easy stance macros this works smoothly. I put them at the same position in both stance bars.

#show Clobber
/cast [stance:2] Clobber

#show Chi Wave
/cast [stance:1] Chi Wave

I also macroed Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, Surging Mist and Soothing Mist.

Note: Switching into Stance of the Fierce Tigers will make you lose hit gained from Spirit.

Edit2: The damage of Chi Wave is increased by 20% if one switches after the initial hit.
Combat Log Screenshot: http://www.abload.de...oard01znjj7.jpg

Edit3: Switching back to the Stance of the Wise Serpent causes a Cooldown on abilities. If I am not mistaken it is one 1.0 and not 1.5 seconds, but this is not certain, as I may be dumb.

#14 Yörgle

Yörgle

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Mistweavers aren't receiving any benefit from spirit so far as I can tell. No 50% combat regen, though they do have some static regen.

Actually they do : spirit → hit, and as doing damage is useful for a Mistweaver that is still nice.
Stance of the Wise Serpent - Spell - World of Warcraft

I don't know if the "no 50% combat regen" is on purpose and Blizz count on MW to use tea to regen, or if it's just NYI.

#15 Psychedelics

Psychedelics

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

I found this to be true as well. (Edit: other than spirit to hit conversion)

If this holds, then ignoring spirit, prioritizing other secondary stats (haste/crit/mastery), and mostly avoiding melee healing/melee chi generation might be optimal.

I'm guessing they'll change it to where spirit affects mana regen at least somewhat, or maybe even make haste affect mana regen like they are currently doing with mages.
.*. (\,M,/) .*.
('''\(OvO)/''')
' ' '( VVV )' ' '
..../../..\..\....

#16 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I find I have a global cooldown when I swap stances, ;erhaps they added this in recently I'm not sure.

I'm also seeing spirit-> hit conversion now, when I first tested it though it was not yet in game.

Some other useful tidbits..

Clobber etc., Blackout Kick, Tiger Palm, and Spinning Crane Kick are scaling with Attack Power, and weapon damage. Mistweavers do gain AP from Agility.

Expel Harm is scaling from Attack Power and Spell Power.

Everything else scales with Spell Power. Except for Touch of Death which scales with Stamina/HP. I highly recommend using Fortifying Brew with Touch of Death.

Some things I've noticed with Mastery so far.. it doesn't appear to be proccing on overheals, and seems to share the same limit as the castable healing orbs, however while casted orbs last 2 minutes now, the mastery orbs still only last 30 seconds.

Overall, my impression thus far is that in this state, Mastery isn't providing much benefit.

#17 Hildegard

Hildegard

King Hippo

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

I find I have a global cooldown when I swap stances, ;erhaps they added this in recently I'm not sure.

I'm also seeing spirit-> hit conversion now, when I first tested it though it was not yet in game.

Some other useful tidbits..

Clobber etc., Blackout Kick, Tiger Palm, and Spinning Crane Kick are scaling with Attack Power, and weapon damage. Mistweavers do gain AP from Agility.

Expel Harm is scaling from Attack Power and Spell Power.

Everything else scales with Spell Power. Except for Touch of Death which scales with Stamina/HP. I highly recommend using Fortifying Brew with Touch of Death.

Some things I've noticed with Mastery so far.. it doesn't appear to be proccing on overheals, and seems to share the same limit as the castable healing orbs, however while casted orbs last 2 minutes now, the mastery orbs still only last 30 seconds.

Overall, my impression thus far is that in this state, Mastery isn't providing much benefit.

The GCD is from Stance of the Fierce Tiger to Stance of the Wise Serpent, but not the other way around.

Spoiler

#18 Clárissa

Clárissa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

These are my concerns of the Mistweaver Monk at the moment.

- No indication of Jade Statue charges
- No indication when a Healing Sphere has been "used"
- Cherry Mana Tea
- Renewing Mists
- Mastery
- AoE healing suffers via ST healing and vice versa

Jade Statues:
While they do have a CD and you can only have 2 up at any one point, it would be nice to know how many charges are left. Primarily due to boss fights, considering the Statues have a CD which is fairly long (you'd be able to use 4 per fight in any "normal" encounter"), it's necessary to know how many charges are left because with the new mana changes mana is a precious resource. Very precious. Wasting mana is just not an option. In order to track the Jade Statue charges, you'll need an external addon unless Blizzard adds something, and that's bad.

Healing Sphere
Healing Spheres, as they are, are in my opinion a waste of mana. The heal is pretty bad (in the 378 premade gear, fully enchanted etc I have 9500~ SP) as it only heals for 11-14k which for the mana cost of the sphere doesnt warrant any generous returns. Surging Mists costs roughly a little bit more but is far more effective of doing the job due to the application of Thunder Focus Tea. Also, forcing people to stop hitting the boss just to run through a Healing Sphere will not work in a raid. In a raid, where enrage timers are tight, DPS will be DPSing. They will not run around needlessly for a heal they can get while standing still (obviously they'll run out of the bad stuff, but that is all). This should be expected too - DPS should be DPSing, not running around playing Mario/Sonic trying to be the first to collect a sphere!

Cherry Mana Tea
The idea behind Cherry Mana Tea is a fun one and I think it'll be interesting to use in raids. There are a couple of problems though: the duration and the way the channel works. While healing the first MoP dungeon I found myself (on all fights but Library) losing my Cherry Mana Tea stacks due to the duration quite a lot. This, too, with the bugged Soothing Mists (which on effective heal has a 100% chance, not 25% chance, to grant 1 Chi) means that when Soothing Mists is eventually fixed it will feel like a luck of the draw whether you generate enough Chi to refresh and add a stack of Cherry Mana Tea. I think the ability would be better if it had absolutely no duration (was fixed), like Muscle Memory, and like Muscle Memory when you leave combat all the stacks deplete and you have to start from 0. The second issue I came across, and this is probably intended, is that Cherry Mana Tea interrupts as soon as you take damage. I don't like this design because while in a raid there will be random raid damage almost constantly, and it'll stop you channeling Cherry Mana Tea continuously. This design also hurts the raid, if you're continuously trying to channel Cherry Mana Tea for the mana return you aren't healing (outside of Renewing Mists, at least!).

Renewing Mists
This spell is great. I think the design is great! It does have 1 slight issue though, and that's how it is refreshed. It's refreshed via Uplift (costs 2 Chi) and as I said above, when Soothing Mists is eventually fixed there will be no "secure" Chi generator outside of spamming Jab. Perhaps this is Blizzard's design? If you want to continuously Uplift Renewing Mists you must Jab the boss in order to generate enough 'secure' Chi to allow it. This design would feel clunky however because:
- For a Shaman to renew ELW on everyone he/she can use Healing Rain which guarantees it.
- For a Holy Priest to renew Echo of Light on everyone he/she can use Holy Word: Sanc which guarantees it.
- For a Holy Paladin to renew Illuminated Healing on everyone he/she can use Holy Radiance which guarantees it.

Mastery
It's .. fairly useless. It's basically the same as a Resto Shaman's Ancestral Awakening spell. Take a look at WoLs (world of logs), I'm a Resto Shaman main and I know this first hand, Ancestral Awakening does a pitiful amount of my overall healing done. It's really only taken because there's "nothing else" to take. In the case of a Mastery though, for monks, they lose out a lot. Looking at the other Healing Masteries: Echo of Light, Illuminated Healing, Shield Discipline, Deep Healing and Harmony you can see they all have the potential to aid AoE healing. All of them can be used in AoE healing to strengthen those AoE heals. Not so for Monks, their Mastery is a single target based Mastery and more than that, the sphere which occurs as a result can land *anywhere* during a fight (obviously near the target). This means it can be near a DPS, but inside a fatal AoE which cannot be entered. This renders the sphere useless in that regard. If at all possible, after 30~ seconds or so the spheres should explode healing all nearby targets if they aren't used within that time. This would make them better.

AOE healing vs Single Target healing
As I previously mentioned, in order to effectively renew Renewing Mists you'll need to use Uplift once every 15 seconds (more so if you want better AoE heals) and in order to do that effectively you'll need to use Jab. Soothing Mists wont be reliable when it's fixed (25% chance, not 100% chance). In order to AoE heal effectively you'll need to use Renewing Mists on CD, Uplift when possible (IMO with Thunder Focus Tea is better) and you'll have to generate the Chi required via Jab. Of course, when Renewing Mists is applied on all targets (5, 10, 25) you can go a little "easier" on the Chi generation but if we have another Dragon Soul raid where everything is AoE healing you'll be Jabbing for the majority of the fight due to the power of Uplift. I consider this a problem because a Shaman can AoE heal via CH, RT, HR and ELW while providing relatively good MT heals. A Paladin can maintain MT healing while spamming Holy Radiance. A Disc Priest can maintain MT healing while PoHing/PWSing via Penance and the like. A Druid can do the same with Efflorescence, Rejuv, Wild Growth and Lifebloom. Bringing this to single target then, at the moment our single target heals would be: Soothing Mists > Surging Mists for bursts and using Chi Wave on the tank whenever necessary, and outside of that using Thunder Focus Tea to empower Surging Mists. I think the ST healing works very well, it's just the AoE healing that feels very random, unless it's Blizzard's intention to make us melee in order to provide the very best AoE heals?

As it stands though, I like the Monk very much. I really like the Single Target healing. It feels a lot more "fun" than purely spamming RT > GHW x 3 repeat, or PW:S > Penance > GH x3 > Penance > GH x3 > PW:S repeat. I also think Soothing Mists idea behind costing x mana and then x mana for every extra second or two channelled is very nifty, it allows us to quickly change to another target without losing too much mana, and I think that's really good. All in all, the Monk seems to have very little overhealing capability and I think this type of healing style, with the new changes to mana and such, is what is going to make the monk very strong.

-----------------

New changes:
Chi Wave now has a 6 sec cooldown, down from 15 secs.
Jasmine Force Tea now costs 3% of base mana and is instant instead of channeled.
Renewing Mists now costs 3% of base mana, up from 2%. Base Healing increased by 70% and now heals every 2 seconds instead of every 3 seconds.
Soothing Mists healing reduced by 43%. Now has a 15% chance to regenerate 1 Chi, down from 25%.

Chi Wave having a 6 second CD fits nicely into an AoE healing rotation. Renewing Mists (RM) > Chi Wave (CW) > Jab > Jab > Jab > CW > Jab > Jab > CW > Jab > Jab > Uplift > Jab > Jab repeat maybe? Soothing Mists is finally fixed, and with this we should see ST healing to be far more difficult - though probably more balanced around the instaneous Surging Mists. Unsure how the new Jasmine Force Tea will take effect - maybe it'll take a roll replacing Jab?

#19 davek

davek

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:05 AM

Post patch today, Blackout Kick is running 1 Chi and places a DoT on the target when used below 50%. It also seems to randomly spawn 1-2 "Chi Spheres" when you kill the target with it on/via ticks? that you can run through to restore 1 chi each. Chi Orbs are personal - I was unable to pick up anyone else's in the dungeon I just ran.

Not particularly useful on a tank and spank, but perhaps a way to store up Chi on a fight with adds to manage. The orbs currently persist about 2 minutes and I was able get at least 4 up without any despawning before I ran out of local targets to kill so I could keep them all in sight.

#20 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

Spirit regen is now working properly. Serpent statues have a new graphic: http://i.imgur.com/mpA5u.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users