• This topic is locked This topic is locked
455 replies to this topic

#41 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

I've updated the OP. Most changes have already been discussed here, but there are a few new interesting ones. Surging Mists is no longer a smart heal by default; a glyph can restore the prior function, but currently it is the equivalent of Flash Heal and other fast, heavy heals.

Expel Harm seems to no longer be intended to be a heal we'd use on other players; the glyph to target other players is gone.

DPS healing got a nice boost from SP converting to AP and Chi Wave's cooldown being reduced.

Renewing Mists has lost its quadratic effect (each tick on the person with the hot would heal everyone near them before); now it is strictly a HoT that can spread.

Zen Sphere, in its current form, is mandatory. It is incredibly powerful; it's basically a HoT that we can detonate by refreshing it, and the detonation has an AOE component. It looks like it may have some interesting depth depending on how many targets you maintain it on. Chi Burst looks more like a DPS ability, but Zen Sphere, as-is, is a must-take. The Mystery Talent could change that but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a tanking ability.

The flow of Chi feels much, much better in this patch. I've not tested mana yet but it definitely looks better when just testing on dummies.
<Temerity> - Always recruiting. 12 hrs PST schedule - Valen#1972

#42 kindath

kindath

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Zen Sphere, in its current form, is mandatory. It is incredibly powerful; it's basically a HoT that we can detonate by refreshing it, and the detonation has an AOE component. It looks like it may have some interesting depth depending on how many targets you maintain it on. Chi Burst looks more like a DPS ability, but Zen Sphere, as-is, is a must-take. The Mystery Talent could change that but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a tanking ability.

Zen sphere is rather bugged at the moment. It says right in the tooltip that you can only have one zen sphere active, but there's no such restriction. Once that's fixed, I'd hazard a guess that exploding the sphere doesn't refresh the duration, just does the explosive heal. Chi spent on zen sphere also doesn't count towards mana tea.

Once the mana cost of jade lightning is fixed, and now that serpent stance grants some AP, jabbing for chi will be the second least expensive way to generate chi, next to expel harm. The damage of jab + autoattacks still seems abysmal compared to CJL, but at least it has the advantage of getting you guaranteed chi.

#43 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Ah indeed, I missed that in the tooltip. Even so, the wording, I think, does imply it will always explode, whether or not you re-cast it on the same or a different target. We'll have to see how it ends up. Even so, it's definitely a nice ability as it acts both as a HoT and an AOE heal. I'm sure it will be fixed to generate stacks of Mana Tea.

I think worrying much about the specifics of damage from melee abilities vs CJL is premature at this point. Numbers are way off and obviously bugs abound -- not to mention that we're clearly still in deep design and reworking on the class. Ultimately, I think it fits best for the Monk to be in melee and that should be slightly higher throughput/dps than spamming CJL. We shall see.
<Temerity> - Always recruiting. 12 hrs PST schedule - Valen#1972

#44 zeraveth

zeraveth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Ah indeed, I missed that in the tooltip. Even so, the wording, I think, does imply it will always explode, whether or not you re-cast it on the same or a different target. We'll have to see how it ends up. Even so, it's definitely a nice ability as it acts both as a HoT and an AOE heal. I'm sure it will be fixed to generate stacks of Mana Tea.

I think worrying much about the specifics of damage from melee abilities vs CJL is premature at this point. Numbers are way off and obviously bugs abound -- not to mention that we're clearly still in deep design and reworking on the class. Ultimately, I think it fits best for the Monk to be in melee and that should be slightly higher throughput/dps than spamming CJL. We shall see.

We'll have to see how the explosion of Zen Sphere shows on numbers later on, but right now it scales horribly and seem to only be an option as a a gain from "Brewing: Mana Tea" on a tankheal rotation of sorts. I like the idea of a second hot and a use from it to get a instant extra heal on single target, but we still need to sit down and wait patiently till it's "written in stone"

#45 Jekerdud

Jekerdud

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

We'll have to see how the explosion of Zen Sphere shows on numbers later on, but right now it scales horribly and seem to only be an option as a a gain from "Brewing: Mana Tea" on a tankheal rotation of sorts. I like the idea of a second hot and a use from it to get a instant extra heal on single target, but we still need to sit down and wait patiently till it's "written in stone"

I've been using Zen Sphere as a way to keep the tank up lately. Chi Burst at this point seems to be only useful as a DPS & tank talent, and even then the cast time makes it more unwanted. I would agree with you with using it as a Chi spender, personally I keep it up on the tank, between keeping that up and Renewing Mists on everyone, melee healing, at least the way I have been doing it, is viable. But Zen Sphere is not something to be relied on as a tank heal ability at this point.

One thing I have been playing around with is stat priority, and talking with a few others on the main beta forums. Lately, my go to stat priority is Int > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit. I am under the assumption that Haste will effect our HoT's similar to a Druid and their breakpoints. The most haste I have gained though is 9.67%, I would think that 12% is
a breakpoint, allowing an extra tick of Renewing and possibly Zen Sphere.

While according to parses, Gift of the Serpent is a mastery that procs quite a lot, I would prefer trying to squeeze an extra tick out of our HoTs, instead of relying on a mastery that pug group members could possibly not bother walking through.

#46 asatoor

asatoor

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

I reforged for as much haste as I could get, I did get 3025 haste (13.69%). I did get 8 ticks of renewing mists. If I have 2679(12.12%) haste I only get 7 ticks. I putted on and off some gear to find the breakpoint and it seems to be 12.50% haste (around 2774 haste).
7.50% with the 5% haste buff.

Zen sphere didn't get an extra tick it stayed at one heal evry 2 secs.

#47 zeraveth

zeraveth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've been using Zen Sphere as a way to keep the tank up lately. Chi Burst at this point seems to be only useful as a DPS & tank talent, and even then the cast time makes it more unwanted. I would agree with you with using it as a Chi spender, personally I keep it up on the tank, between keeping that up and Renewing Mists on everyone, melee healing, at least the way I have been doing it, is viable. But Zen Sphere is not something to be relied on as a tank heal ability at this point.

One thing I have been playing around with is stat priority, and talking with a few others on the main beta forums. Lately, my go to stat priority is Int > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit. I am under the assumption that Haste will effect our HoT's similar to a Druid and their breakpoints. The most haste I have gained though is 9.67%, I would think that 12% is
a breakpoint, allowing an extra tick of Renewing and possibly Zen Sphere.

While according to parses, Gift of the Serpent is a mastery that procs quite a lot, I would prefer trying to squeeze an extra tick out of our HoTs, instead of relying on a mastery that pug group members could possibly not bother walking through.

Interesting read. I like some breakdown on the stat priority. But if you consider that renewing mists will often not get full duration of ticks on heavy aoe healing due to the use of uplift, as you say, the reach of another tick of zen sphere seems unlikely at 90, soothing mists will also be cancelled to get of single hits on random etc. Also, due to how mastery works, I believe crit to be superior to mastery, but we'll see.

#48 Clárissa

Clárissa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

I, too, definitely think spirit > haste > mastery = crit will be the way to go for secondary stats. I cannot comprehend our itemisation being towards a rather useless Mastery (I say useless because it's totally RNG: RNG where it procs, for whom it procs and when it procs) instead of haste and/or spirit which are guaranteed increases.

#49 zeraveth

zeraveth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

I, too, definitely think spirit > haste > mastery = crit will be the way to go for secondary stats. I cannot comprehend our itemisation being towards a rather useless Mastery (I say useless because it's totally RNG: RNG where it procs, for whom it procs and when it procs) instead of haste and/or spirit which are guaranteed increases.

When all our chi spenders are registered to reward stacks, it remains to see just how much we'll need spirit too.

#50 Jekerdud

Jekerdud

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

Interesting read. I like some breakdown on the stat priority. But if you consider that renewing mists will often not get full duration of ticks on heavy aoe healing due to the use of uplift, as you say, the reach of another tick of zen sphere seems unlikely at 90, soothing mists will also be cancelled to get of single hits on random etc. Also, due to how mastery works, I believe crit to be superior to mastery, but we'll see.

One thing I didn't count on was today's changes to Uplift. Before the change, I could normally get everyone on the same "timer" if you will of Renewing Mists, and only Uplifted if the group needed healing, or Renewing was about to fall off. But today's change might just flip the priority around to need more crit and mastery. I will do some playing around in the next week and let you know.

Spirit on the other hand, at this point, seems worth reforging into. At this point, mana tea stacks seem kind of slow, but I would think that once monks are in raid gear, spirit will not be so necessary. Trying to keep the "melee healer" mindset, using Jab to build Chi, you can drain your mana pool rather fast. But, we shall see as you keep saying zera, maybe mana tea will build quicker by release.

#51 zeraveth

zeraveth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

One thing I didn't count on was today's changes to Uplift. Before the change, I could normally get everyone on the same "timer" if you will of Renewing Mists, and only Uplifted if the group needed healing, or Renewing was about to fall off. But today's change might just flip the priority around to need more crit and mastery. I will do some playing around in the next week and let you know.

Spirit on the other hand, at this point, seems worth reforging into. At this point, mana tea stacks seem kind of slow, but I would think that once monks are in raid gear, spirit will not be so necessary. Trying to keep the "melee healer" mindset, using Jab to build Chi, you can drain your mana pool rather fast. But, we shall see as you keep saying zera, maybe mana tea will build quicker by release.

"Instantly increases the duration of all of your renewing mists periodic effects on allies by 6sec, and heals them for 9318." By using expel harm and renewing mists on a new target it seem to still be easy to keep the renewing mists up on all targets, specially if you use some soothing mists in the meanwhile.

The issue with mana at the moment is that you regen 4% of mana from only a 100k mana pool and many chi users doesn't work towards granting you the "brewing: mana tea" stack. Once fixed, I don't see the use of spirit when gotten into raiding gear, however it still needs to be tested.

#52 Jekerdud

Jekerdud

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Actually, with the post that Kaivax posted (blue), they are making spirit convert to expertise. At least early on, spirit will be useful to an extent, even if it's only one or two reforges. I can't imagine in tier 16 we'll NEED the spirit, but in heroic dungeons and early tier 14, it might be more valuable than just for mana regen, especially if you are in the "melee healer" mindset on a boss similar to Ragnaros or Ultraxion where you can't be behind the boss (provided they make a "front only" boss).

#53 nightlily

nightlily

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

New bug with zen sphere, if I am targeting a friendly player I get an error 'you cannot attack that target' or something like that..

However, there is a workaround. My mouseover macro still works if I target an enemy.

the bug that removes Zen sphere from a player if it's cast on them while already active is still in.

#54 Tharia

Tharia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm not sure that is a bug. Maybe you are supposed to choose between the explosion and another full HoT. Of course the explosion doesn't work right now, so no way to say if that makes sense, but it sure would be an insteresting mechanic.

#55 Clárissa

Clárissa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Curiously, is there a maximum range on Uplift? For example, if we get another Kochrom/Morchok fight is it possible we [monks] could have Renewing Mists tick on both sides via Uplift?

#56 Jekerdud

Jekerdud

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

As far as I know, the range is pretty far. Of course, testing needs to be done. Line of sight is unaffected though. I have Uplifted to people around corners.

#57 Dharmakaya

Dharmakaya

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Currently if you have another Monk in your party and he has Renewing Mist on a different target than you, your Uplift will heal his target but it will not add to the duration of his Renewing Mist. You must have a Renewing Mist active somewhere in order to us Uplift. I tested this by putting Renewing Mist on myself while another Monk put it on a Warlock. When I hit Uplift, both of us were healed by it, but only my duration was extended. I made sure that the Mist put on myself did not spread to the Warlock.

Uplift has a 100 yard range on it's heal and does not require line of sight. Outside of 100 yards it will say you currently have no target. Once within 100 yards, my target was able to be healed with Uplift again.

The mastery Healing Spheres have a 30 second duration and do not count towards the 3 that you are allowed to put out yourself. I don't think there is a limit on them. I was able to proc 5 of them within 30 seconds.

#58 Clárissa

Clárissa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Talents

Celerity now icnreases the number of charges by 1.
Charging Ox Wave no longer costs 1 Chi and no longer knock backs.
Chi Wave no longer requires Serpent Stance.
Rushing Jade Wind now causes you to move at 100% speed while using Spinning Crane Kick, down from 200%.

Mistweaver

Brewing: Mana Tea can now stack up to 20 times, down from 50 times.
Enveloping Mist Is now a Mistweaver Spec spell. Now costs 3 Chi instead of 3 Energy. Now has a 2 sec cast time, up from 1.5 sec cast time. If cast while channeling Soothing Mists, Enveloping Mist will be instant cast.
Renewing Mist - Maximum 10 targets can have your Renewing Mists at any one time.
Revival now scales from 200% of Spell Power, down from 310%.
Teachings of the Monastery Surging Mist effect no longer procs from Expel Harm. No also reduces Mana Cost of Surging Mist. Now affects Spinning Crane Kick instead of Expel Harm - While channeling Spinning Crane Kick, you also heal nearby allies for (3,712 + 38.1% of SP) every 1 sec for 3 sec.
Thunder Focus Tea now lasts for 30 secs.

The Spinning Crane Kick change (tied to Teachings of the Monastery) looks pretty powerful to me, and offsets the Renewing Mists nerf a lot I think. For example in a DS style raid (where you're always, pretty much, stacked on top of one another) I could see the skill being pretty awesome. The Spellpower modifier is very generous too, but Blizzard always tweak numbers last so I'm not paying too much attention.

Curiously, would Spinning Crane Kick heal people via Teachings of the Monastery in addition to heal generated via Eminence?

Zen Sphere got fixed, and in my opinion, is the best talent of Chi Wave, Chi Burst and Zen Sphere.

#59 kindath

kindath

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

Spinning crane kick definitely heals with teachings of the monastery, eminence, and jade statue.

I don't know if zen sphere is really fixed. It seems weird that recasting it would both give the AOE heal AND refresh it, especially given how powerful the AOE heal is. I've had it crit for 75k, on several targets, while also refreshing a hot and dealing 20k+ damage to all enemies nearby and healing again via eminence.

#60 dracjin

dracjin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Beta - Build 15677

Summon Jade Serpent Statue Serpent's Salve (On-Click Effect) is now Serpent's Accord (Passive) - When you cast Soothing Mist, the Jade Serpent Statue will also cast Soothing Mist on an injured ally within 40 yards.

I hoped that they will change the Statue in such a way. But in this form it seems to be too powerful. I wish they will change it like channeling Soothing (or casting any single target spell) on the Statue will double the amount and split it (smartcasting) on more targets (4-5). That would be a nice possibility to improve our one diminsional and lackluster (if healing more than 10 targets --> no control who get the renewing hot) aoe healing via Uplift/Renewing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users