• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 Meaning

Meaning

King Hippo

• Moderators
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. Post here IF:
  • Your question requires a simple, brief answer.
  • Your question does NOT belong in one of our existing threads.
  • Your question is unlikely to spark sufficient discussion to warrant being its own thread.

Please note ALL forum rules still apply. For that reason, this is NOT the thread for:
  • Begging for hand-holding
  • Asking a question that could be answered by reading another thread
  • Inventing new and interesting ways to violate the civil rights of ellipses
  • Whining
  • Violating any of our forum rules, with which you should be familiar before posting anywhere. Especially here.

Edit: This is not the place to ask for the latest stat weights. Check our simcraft thread or SimulationCraft.org

Edit: And one more thing, just for good measure. If you're thinking about asking "which spec should I use", you can do one of a few things:

1. Ask here and probably get an infraction.
2. Simulate your own character as the different specs - always a good idea.
3. And my personal favorite: Actually try the different specs *gasp*, and see how well you do with logs/meters etc, on an actual encounter-by-encounter basis.

#2 Madmoos

Madmoos

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hello. Thanks for this thread.

I want to know what simcraft is doing here;

actions+=/doom,cycle_targets=1,if=(!ticking|remains<tick_time|(ticks_remain+1<n_ticks&buff.dark_soul.up))&target.time_to_die>=30&miss_react

Especially the part : remains<tick_time|(ticks_remain+1<n_ticks&buff.dark_soul.up)

Thanks a lot.

#3 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

The Chairmaker

• Members
  • 1466 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hello. Thanks for this thread.

I want to know what simcraft is doing here;

actions+=/doom,cycle_targets=1,if=(!ticking|remains<tick_time|(ticks_remain+1<n_ticks&buff.dark_soul.up))&target.time_to_die>=30&miss_react

Especially the part : remains<tick_time|(ticks_remain+1<n_ticks&buff.dark_soul.up)

Thanks a lot.

That means it will recast doom when there's one tick left, *or* when dark soul is up and the number of ticks remaining is at least 2 less than the total number of ticks.

#4 spin

spin

Glass Joe

•  Patrons
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

Perhaps a reply to my original post below: Spoke to a lock on beta who told me to refresh dots manually above 20% and to use sbss only for the pull and below 20% This leaves me plenty of shards for haunt and sb harvest life/ sb seed of corruption, I believe.

Hi there,
Relatively new to warlock here. I'm wondering about shard management: from what I've read my priorities should be maintaining dots, particularly agony, then haunt, then maelefic grasp. I just hit 90 on the beta and I'm having a difficult time keeping enough shards to have one for dots and one for haunt.

Should I always keep one shard on reserve for refreshing dots via soulswap and using any beyond that for haunt? I've read that soulburn soulswap is the best way to refresh dots, but I'm wonderring what I shoulld do when I'm above 20 percent and need a shard for haunt? Should I refresh individual dots and use the shard for haunt?*

*edit: Is it a super no no to use drain sould above 20%?

#5 wobb

wobb

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Perhaps a reply to my original post below: Spoke to a lock on beta who told me to refresh dots manually above 20% and to use sbss only for the pull and below 20% This leaves me plenty of shards for haunt and sb harvest life/ sb seed of corruption, I believe.

Hi there,
Relatively new to warlock here. I'm wondering about shard management: from what I've read my priorities should be maintaining dots, particularly agony, then haunt, then maelefic grasp. I just hit 90 on the beta and I'm having a difficult time keeping enough shards to have one for dots and one for haunt.

Should I always keep one shard on reserve for refreshing dots via soulswap and using any beyond that for haunt? I've read that soulburn soulswap is the best way to refresh dots, but I'm wonderring what I shoulld do when I'm above 20 percent and need a shard for haunt? Should I refresh individual dots and use the shard for haunt?*

*edit: Is it a super no no to use drain sould above 20%?

Soulshard management is a big part of what will set bad locks apart from good ones.

Generally you want to save soul shards for when you have Dark Soul (or an other big cd) up, without ever wasting a nightfall proc.
You will use SB:SS to get your DoT's rolling at the beginning of the fight and to refresh your DoT's anytime a "Big" proc/cd is used and just before it ends. Also, during execute SB:SS is used to refresh your DoT's always as we have a surplus of shards.

Haunt is used when we have 4 shards (so as to not waste nightfall procs). when we have more powerful DoT's active (as a result of being refreshed during a proc). and to keep the haunt debuff ~100% uptime during execute.

As for drain soul, it is a pretty big DPS loss since they nerfed its pre-execute damage, and it does not cause our DoT's to tick above execute. The only reason I could see Drain Soul being used pre execute is to maybe make shards available for chain casting Haunt when burst is absolutely needed.

As for maintaining your DoT's, single casting them to keep them up is your priority. Clipping DoT's is now a thing of the past, and panademic makes refreshing DoT's even more forgiving. Generally speaking you want to refresh your DoT's between the last and 2nd last tick.

As a suggestion, the default UI makes locking quite difficult, I suggest looking into Power Aura's and other mods. For instance my UI in firelands was as below. The Dot's in the middle of the screen make it easier.
Torando's/Aly kill - YouTube

#6 Envý

Envý

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Does the execute behaviour of Drain Soul dynamically update if you cast it just above 20%? Or do you still have to start casting it under 20%, like it was before?

I heard rumors that it is dynamically now, but I cannot check for myself

#7 wobb

wobb

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

Does the execute behaviour of Drain Soul dynamically update if you cast it just above 20%? Or do you still have to start casting it under 20%, like it was before?

I heard rumors that it is dynamically now, but I cannot check for myself

It does update dynamically on Beta and I assume 5.0

#8 wobb

wobb

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

I remember reading somewhere recently that our Doomguard/Terrorguard cd's were reset on a wipe.

Has anyone confirmed this or was the poster just blowing smoke?

I can say that it is definitely not reset on death, however a wipe in a raid perhaps?

#9 krno

krno

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

Found this on MMO-Champion:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment: All demons deal similar damage and are no longer linked to a specific spec. Doomguard, Infernal and Soulstone cooldowns reset upon wiping to a raid or dungeon boss.

#10 mannaroth

mannaroth

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Is it still a DPS gain to refresh Corruption with Touch of Chaos even though Corruption does not benefit from Metamorphosis? The Sims appear to be only refreshing it with ToC but I can't discern any DPS increase by doing so.

#11 realCool

realCool

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Is it still a DPS gain to refresh Corruption with Touch of Chaos even though Corruption does not benefit from Metamorphosis? The Sims appear to be only refreshing it with ToC but I can't discern any DPS increase by doing so.

I simmed that I think 2 days ago with the release and it was still a dps increase. The reason is that you get a passiv refresh on Corruption by using ToC as ToC is you standard filler spell, while if you use Corruption for a refresh then you waste 1 GCD that gains you nothing (except the refresh of course).

#12 Stangg

Stangg

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

With regards to Grimoire of Service on the beta.

Does the second pet summoned attack your current target or the target your pet is currently focusing, for instance if a Succubus was charming a target, would the second pet attack the charmed target?

#13 Yami Bakura

Yami Bakura

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi there, I'd like to know if the scale factors for 5.0.4 actually (T13 HM) are the same as 4.3 or 5.0.4 MoP (T14 HM)?

When I look at the sim in Zakalwe's post, there's nos scale factors for the T13 HM.

And sorry if the question have already been answered (and for my bad english) x_X.

#14 Revynn

Revynn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

How long can or should we delay Felstorm/Wrathstorm in order to line up with Dark Soul?

#15 Daeluin

Daeluin

Purveyor of Cursed Seals

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

With regards to Grimoire of Service on the beta.

Does the second pet summoned attack your current target or the target your pet is currently focusing, for instance if a Succubus was charming a target, would the second pet attack the charmed target?

As of most recent build on beta, Grimoire of Service requires a target to be cast and the second demon attacks said target. There does seem to be some issue with it going onto a second target if the first one dies.
Sixty percent of the time, Ret has a twenty percent chance to work every time. Or else become a warlock.

#16 Terhen

Terhen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

Is choosing to cast Haunt when the whole duration be reserved purely for Malefic Grasp spam better than refreshing DoTs part way through? Always stacking both debuffs at once for the maximum duration after making sure no DoTs will end within the 8 seconds of Haunt should be optimal assuming you don't let Soul Shards stack to 4?

#17 netsach

netsach

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Does Havoc copy Shadowburn regardless of havoc'ed target health ?

#18 Fabinas

Fabinas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Anyone knows of a castbar addon which is compatible with the new warlock features?

#19 BradRinTX

BradRinTX

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

gnosis has been updated and is a great caster bar addon for locks also i recoomend using raven mod to show buffs debuffs spell timers etc its wonderful they are almost must haves for a warlock....

(editied totally overlooked the answer to the second part of post )

#20 Magicxcian

Magicxcian

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Does Havoc copy Shadowburn regardless of havoc'ed target health ?

Yes, it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users