Greeting fellow warlocks.
I have a few questions regarding affliction warlocks in MOP
1-Does one need to refresh dots after casting Haunt Debuff and/or Curse of Elements or do the dots dynamically take into account the dps increase from the haunt debuff and COE?
2-Is there any change in our channelled spell mechanics? i.e do we have to constantly monitor channelling ticks to decide when to stop channelling and refresh dots or cast other spells?
3-During a normal pull the rotation should be: COE, Haunt, Soul Burn + SoulSwap, Malefic Grasp. This will leave you with 2 shards. After a few seconds, you will need to refresh your Haunt which leaves you with just one soul shard. Assuming no nightfall procs, is it better to refresh the dots manually and save the last remaining shard for reapplying haunt for the third time, or is it better to Soul Burn + Soul Swap again and pray for a nightfall (and run the risk of not having haunt up)
4-Reg. Kiljaeden's cunning's passive effect during movement intensive fights: is it better to cast Malefic Grasp and move or is it better to spam fel flame and move? if the former is true, then is there any point in using fel flame at all (to add 6 seconds to dots for example?)
5-Considering epidemic talent, is it 100% essential to clip dots just when they reach half their uptime or is this not a significant dps gain and it is totally fine to refresh dots at any time as long as they have reached half their uptime?
1) I had the same question and decided to test this last night on the target dummy with Skada. I would cast one DOT and let it last until it exprired then recorded it's damage. Did this about 20 times to get a rough average damage number. I then did it again but cast Haunt after the DOT cast, also 20 times. And the same with haunt first. I found that the Haunt damage bonus applies to the DOTs regardless when the DOT is cast, however, you can get DOT ticks without the bonus. So in conclusion, the haunt damage bonus applies to all damage when haunt is applied, but you still want the bonus applied to all ticks, therefore using SB:SS is ideal so you get the most damage ticks under the buff before it expires.
2) Yes since cancelling a channel right before a tick can still be a DPS loss. Granted, it's not much of a problem since the level 90 spell gets rid of the problem is DOT clipping, so in most cases you can wait until a channel is finished before reapplying.
3) In my experience, it depends on the fights. Since I have a trinket with a chance to increase SP significantly, I save my soul shards for when it procs to cast haunt, DS:M, and SS:SB my DOTs to gain the SP/haste increase to do a ton of damage.
4) Not sure, and this is something that can be calculated with DPET. Calculate MG with a 50% increased duration to get the DPET and then the DEPT for FF.
5) The DPET for DOTs take in to account the full duration of the spell. If you constantly refresh a DOT slightly under the 50% mark, you're still not getting DPS from the last half. I still let DOTs run their full duration so I can get more MG spam in, and refresh early when I get a short term buff or if I know I'll need to move and can't refresh later.
Hey guys, I've been a lurker off and on for a while. Pandaria is the first time I've not been able to find out the information I need elsewhere. Plus this is my first time actually playing a warlock as my main.
So I'm starting to get comfortable with affliction, I'm wildly fluctuating with my dps because of wasting shards too often for refreshing dots. The root cause of this I've determined to be not understanding how procs and dots relate to each other.
To start with I'd like to confirm something. When I cast a dot, say corruption, that corruption spell is modified by all of the buffs that I currently have on me. So if I have Dark Soul: Misery + Blood Lust and have an 89% haste then my corruption will have an 89% haste for the duration of the corruption spell, correct?
Then let's say that both Dark Soul: Misery and Blood Lust expire with corruption having half its duration remaining (Thus getting the full benefit from Pandemic). If I recast corruption do I now gain a new corruption with normal haste lasting for 1.5x the duration of a normal corruption?
I know I have more questions but I think I can refine them better if I get the right information on this.
DOTs when cast will take your haste/crit/mastery/sp values at the time they are cast. So if your buff runs out during the DOT duration and you recast, the new cast will change the damage modifiers to what you currently have. So you want to let the DOT run it's full duration before reapplying if your buffs ran out.
Does expertise grant spell hit?
I have googled this and apparently the answer appears yes. I tested this in-game with my engineering dragonling, I added an expertise cogwheel and I noticed no change on my character stat screen on my spell hit value.
Yes, it does grant spell hit, although the paper doll won't show additional hit rating number, only changes the percentage. It is a 1-to-1 distribution, so one expertise is good for one spell hit. It allows you to reforge to expertise even if a piece of gear has hit on it.