340 replies to this topic

#21 Reniat

Reniat

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Balancing out Dodge and Parry

The diminishing returns on Dodge and Parry work differently in Mists: Dodge diminishes much, much faster than Parry now. Unfortunately, there is no easy rule as we had in Cataclysm where we just tried to keep both ratings close to each other.
Depending on your Dodge%, you would need to get 2-3 more Parry for Dodge to become better again. Theck put it pretty nicely here so allow me to quote him instead:

Source: Avoidance Diminishing Returns in MoP – Part 3 | Sacred Duty

Remember to substract 4% Parry in the comparison if you are using Swordshattering because this avoidance is not affected by diminishing returns.

just fyi, you can take the info from Theck's site and condense into a pretty easy to use formula.

in his site he shows formula for the optimal parry/dodge ratio (%s):
Total Parry/Total Dodge = (Cp/Cd) - ((Cp/Cd)Base Dodge - Base parry)/Total Dodge

Cp = 235.5
Cd = 65.631440
Base Dodge = 5.01
Base Parry = 3.22 (including parry from base strength. 3.21 for gnomes)

Parry%/dodge% = 235.5/65.631440 - ((235.5/65.31440)*5.01-3.00)/dodge%

Parry%/dodge% = 3.588 - 14.14.757/dodge%

Parry% = 3.588*dodge% - 14.757

factor in SS and you get the desired parry% = 3.588*dodge% - 10.757 (or parry% = 3.588*dodge% - 10.767 if you are a gnome)

Heres a macro version:

/run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end p=235.5*d/65.631440-((235.5/65.631440)*5.01-n)+4 DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry for current dodge: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

Without Swordshattering:

/run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end p=235.5*d/65.631440-((235.5/65.631440)*5.01-n) DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry for current dodge: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

It will still be easier to use a bot, but it still requires less effort than going over the entire blog to figure out what your dodge and parry are supposed to be at.

#22 yoolen

yoolen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

That's a pretty good list. I always considered our resource generation to be less prone to unlucky boss avoidance simply because our Runes always regenerated and Rune Strike is easy to cap (and if it misses we only lose a small portion of RP).
However with Scent of Blood you are probably right since that gives us yet another source of resource generation which - in addition to Rune Strike/T5 procs - pretty much rivals the resource generation of other tanks.
If that assessment is true, then Death Strike should not be subject to boss avoidance after all. Though, for me, that is only a slight buff until I am geared up enough to gear for accuracy again because I like the reliability of being spell hit capped, of Rune Strike never missing and simply contributing more to DPS.
But nonetheless something to keep an eye out for once Blizzard releases the new patch that fixes the tooltips for the stealth buffed/nerfed abilities.

Going into more detail for the classes I have at 85 and have tried out since 5.0.4 dropped:

Resource sensitive active mitigation by class (I've played all of them at 85 in dungeons, but I'm not sure if I got everything, these are just the abilities I remembered). Resources (HP, Rage, Chi, RP) are generated through abilities now for everyone, including warriors and druids, for those who weren't aware of this change.
Paladins: SotR - 30% damage reduction, limited by Holy Power; class has passive block
Warriors: Shield Block - 30%(base?) physical damage reduction; Shield Barrier - Damage absorption based on AP; both limited by high rage cost (60); class has passive block
Druids: Savage Defense - 45% dodge, 3 charges refreshing sequentially, 9 seconds per charge; Frenzied Regeneration - Convert rage to health; both abilities limited by high rage cost (60)
Monks: ? Haven't played with this class so I can't properly speak to its abilities; seems like it uses Chi and Energy (generated by using abilities) to activate a large number of damage reduction CDs.
Death Knights: Blood Shield - Generated by a successful Death Strike (based on planned changes), based on the amount healed, which in turn is based on incoming damage; limited by rune regeneration, runes not returned on miss/dodge.

Surprisingly, I found paladins to be exceptionally hard to play (in the sense of keeping up SotR for a significant amount of uptime) which might be a result of not being used to the new rotation (CS, X, Y). The rage based classes were very spammy and fun to play in that I could see my DPS having a direct effect on my survival, without really needing to pool rage. I played all these classes with high avoidance/mitigation and only around 3-4% hit/exp.

My Death Knight runs very, very low hit/exp (2/2.4) and looking back on my parses for Heroic DS on Wednesday I saw that a not insignificant number of my Deathstrikes were misses/dodges. I never really noticed a big chunk of incoming damage (35% nerf and BS still bugged :|) and spent most of my time just trying to maximize my DPS. I did see a few misses on Mutated Tentacles leading up into impales (which would have been disastrous if Blood Shield actually didn't go up - I usually don't use cooldowns because the shield is normally enough) so I can see how not being hit/exp capped would contribute significantly to surviving vs. dying against a hard hitting progression boss.

I don't have enough experience playing the other tanks to give a fair assessment of how well they're performing vs. DKs (and I don't want this to turn into a discussion of which tanking class is the best or which got screwed the most), but given that DKs rely on a limited set of resources that regenerate over time (and through RNG - although I'm guessing Blood Tap should remove some/all? of that) I feel like Blood Shield not proccing on dodges and misses is unreasonable. We're in the same boat as paladins for resource generation, but unlike them we don't have a passive shield block; on top of that all the other tanks can actively use their mitigation to reduce/avoid all incoming damage whereas we're forced to be hit before we can do anything. The 25% stam buff in Blood Presence may help to alleviate some of this, and I guess we'll have to wait for some live numbers to see if it all works out.

I'll be playing around with the Tier 1 talents later tonight (I found Plague Leech to be clunky and hard to use well as a tanking cooldown) and I'll probably have a few questions on how to use it properly because I'm probably doing it wrong, lol. Also gonna try reforging to hit/exp cap and see how that goes.

#23 yoolen

yoolen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

While using DRW and casting Blood Boil me own diseases are refreshed but that put by DRW aren't. Is this intend?

I believe this is working as intended as Pestilence and Blood Boil work on your diseases, not those of the DRW; also can you imagine rolling 4 diseases on AOE packs? lol.

#24 Reniat

Reniat

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Actually pestilence does spread DRW's diseases, making it possible to have 4 diseases on each target, and doing so will lead to insane burst aoe threat. The pestilence triggered from Rolling Blood however, does not affect DRW's diseases, so use pestilence manually once if you want to spread DRW's diseases even with Rolling Blood.

#25 yoolen

yoolen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Actually pestilence does spread DRW's diseases, making it possible to have 4 diseases on each target, and doing so will lead to insane burst aoe threat. The pestilence triggered from Rolling Blood however, does not affect DRW's diseases, so use pestilence manually once if you want to spread DRW's diseases even with Rolling Blood.

WTF, I thought they changed it when they did the pestilence change in Wrath (so that I wouldn't spread stuff like Devouring Plague). God, no wonder I always did so much more AOE damage on trash packs when I had DRW up. I never bothered to tab through the stuff quickly to see the other debuffs and Tidyplates only shows your personal debuffs. You learn something new every day.

Edit: Did a bit of reading on the subject. It appears that this only works if DRW is up when you cast pestilence (the DRW is the one mimicking the pestilence and spreading them itself). If you were to pestilence again later it would not spread the DRW's diseases. If you were to Blood Boil at 9s in before the DRW expires, it should replicate the BB and refresh the diseases (assuming the DRW's BB behaves the same as your BB for refreshing diseases).

#26 Otou

Otou

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

After they nerfed DRW's ability to copy all spells the DK cast in Wrath, they gave it a set list of DK abilties. DRW doesn't have access to Blood abilties, it just has a list of abilties it's allowed to use. If a DK uses an ability on that list, DRW also uses it.

So DRW doesn't know Roiling Blood or Scarlet Fever, even if the casting DK has them.

#27 Yavvy

Yavvy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Will Might of Ursoc put you at 15% during Purgatory, or is it counted as a heal?

#28 Phenomena

Phenomena

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

Great work Tyvi!
I use this macro for Death Pact and Raise Dead works great if you want an one press instant heal keybind, like when you get Shroud of Purgatory or similar panic heal.

#showtooltip Death Pact
/cast Raise Dead
/cast !Death Pact

#29 Smiegel

Smiegel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

I really enjoyed reading your tanking guide and will continue to use it as a guideline throughout MoP. So keep up the awesome work!

I have a question concerning runeforge choices. I read the section that went over it and understand that if you need more EH to take Stoneskin otherwise to take Swordshattering. You also mentioned that if EH or mitigation/avoidance isn't a concern to take Fallen Crusader.

Just how far behind Stoneskin and Swordshattering is Fallen Crusader in terms of survivibility? I understand that FC relies much more on RNG where the other two provide more static stats. But although small FC does provide a chance to heal as well as an increase to parry through the 15% strength proc.

I kind of just feel that FC offers more in terms of the plethora of things a tank needs to do to be succesful

From your list.

1) Survive.
2) Hold aggro.
3) Minimize damage taken and healing required (through self heals, damage reduction CDs and such).
4) Support the raid with CDs (i.e. Anti-Magic Zone, Glyph of Death Coil).
5) Deal as much damage as possible.

While Stoneskin and Swordshattering only improves #1, and#3 I feel that FC improves #1,#3, (although to a lesser extent), #2, and #5.

I know this all probably depends on the boss/mechanics, etc, etc., but am I way off for thinking that FC should be a viable tanking runeforge choice?

Thanks in advance.

#30 Tyvi

Tyvi

Never, Mags. Never!

• • Guide Author
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

1) Survive.
2) Hold aggro.
3) Minimize damage taken and healing required (through self heals, damage reduction CDs and such).
4) Support the raid with CDs (i.e. Anti-Magic Zone, Glyph of Death Coil).
5) Deal as much damage as possible.

While Stoneskin and Swordshattering only improves #1, and#3 I feel that FC improves #1,#3, (although to a lesser extent), #2, and #5.

I know this all probably depends on the boss/mechanics, etc, etc., but am I way off for thinking that FC should be a viable tanking runforge choice?

Unfortunately, Fallen Crusader isn't very good at helping you survive or minimize healing required because the healing proc isn't generally very useful due to the rather low value and randomness of it. The 15% Strength proc has a pretty high uptime but it's not going to beat the 4% parry from Swordshattering either. To fully benefit from FC's heal you would have to be tanking something that can't kill you quickly so your healers can keep you at lower health values without issues. But the thing with these scenarios is that you aren't at risk of dying anyway and any healer could easily keep you up there - with or without FC (or any Runeforge, really). On anything that hits harder, the FC heal isn't going to make healers change their healing method because a 3% max health might proc here and there.

So in the end, I would treat FC as a DPS enchant only that happens to have some very minor survival benefits. If you decide to enchant FC, you should do it because you want the DPS and treat the bonus parry/heal every now and then as a welcome bonus - but nothing more.

#31 Kázeshini

Kázeshini

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

Your saying that The part of blood shield tracking adding is a bit behind since it gets it's information from the combat logg. It can be handy to know more precise so im wondering if there is any alternative?
Prehaps someone know if you can set weak auras or simular addons to track it more precise or are all of those also using the combat logg?

Another question I have is the possibility to combine DRW, bone shield and the cast of army of the dead to creat a combination with simular Dmg reduction as IBF if needed? Do they draw benefits from each other or that isn't working as that due to game mechanics?
Possible to combine some of em to be almost immune to dmg?

#32 nilshaus

nilshaus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

Another question I have is the possibility to combine DRW, bone shield and the cast of army of the dead to creat a combination with simular Dmg reduction as IBF if needed? Do they draw benefits from each other or that isn't working as that due to game mechanics?
Possible to combine some of em to be almost immune to dmg?

/k�*ze

Yes that would work. Note that using DRW + Army + bone shield at the same time would require both 43 runes and 60 runic power. So if you can stomach that cost and since dmg reductions are multiplicative, not additive, assuming your dodge+parry is , say, 20%, you would take

.6 * .8 = .48 of normal dmg or a 52% dmg reduction cooldown for 4 seconds [total parry+dodge = 40% so 60% of normal dmg taken, and bone shield is 20% dr]. Compared to Icebound 50% dr for 10 seconds for free.

#33 BentoBox

BentoBox

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Bone shield no longer costs anything, so it would be 3 runes and 60 RP.

#34 Tyvi

Tyvi

Never, Mags. Never!

• • Guide Author
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Now that the patch has been up for a while on Beta, I think it's safe to discuss what the changes brought us:

- Heart Strike now does 115% weapon damage, down from 170%
- Death Strike now does 280% weapon damage, up from 230%.
- In addition, Blood Boil base AP scaling got nerfed to down to 12.48% and base damage went up to 3855.

(Source for the first 2 is MMO-C and Otou figured out the BB bit.)

The changes have two effects:

1) The Heart Strike nerf and Death Strike equalizes damage done on single target between a DK who runs a normal tanking rotation with FU and D Runes on Death Strike and Blood Runes on Heart Strike and a DK who would use some Death Runes for Heart Strike every now and then.
In addition, the nerf to Blood Boil means we won't simply substitute Heart Strike with BB for a higher DPS rotation.

2) AoE damage went way down, presumably because it was too good at higher AP values. The fact that Blood Boil's base damage went up to help with threat at low Vengeance levels/fresh on the pull supports this theory and shows that atleast Blizzard is aware of the fact that we do need solid enough AoE threat to hold mobs without (excessively) sacrificing Death Runes for this (which could be a problem at low Vengeance values, hence the base damage buff).

Now with all this said and done, I am fine with 2) as long as holding threat doesn't cut into our survival by making us use BB/HS with our Death Runes.

What I do have a problem with is 1). I feel that rewarding a DK that sacrifices mitigation and healing with slightly higher DPS was a good thing. Now that one Death Strike outdamages two Heart Strikes there is no reason to ever do this. You actually lose damage in addition to survival.* While I understand that balancing tank DPS between classes is easier if you know that a DK will always use the same rotation (1xHS, 1xDS per Rune cycle) instead of one that could range from 1 to 3 Heart Strike, I feel they overdid it.
There should be some reward for tanks that sacrifice mitigation for damage (i.e. Maul, Heroic Strike). The delta between two Heart Strikes and one Death Strike might have been too much in the previous patch (+170% weapon damage assuming 2 diseases are up) but there should be one (+100% weapon damage would be my suggestion).

Don't get me wrong, I love Death Strike hitting hard. It makes sure we don't have to resort to Heart Striking just to keep up with other tanks doing their normal rotation. But just like Warriors and Bears, having the option to convert survival into damage without changing gear would be really, really awesome. It's fun finding a good balance between mitigation and damage after all - as long as it stays optional.

*EDIT: you do gain +19% weapon damage due to the disease increase but that isn't enough to make it worth sacrificing a huge chunk of healing/shielding.

For what it's worth, Death Strike is still healing on dodges and misses on Beta even after the new patch. Take that as you will (though the tooltip is still making me think it's a bug).

#35 ThrackDK

ThrackDK

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Ok I need some correction on my logic here or I need someone to backup my line of thinking. From what im thinking Runic Corruption is far and away the worst talent for Blood. Maybe im just thinking about this in terms of math that doesnt take into account everything that it should but here is what im thinking.

Just looking at this in terms of return per Rune Strike.

Blood Tap=40 Death Runes per 100 Rune Strikes or 20 Deathstrikes that is 100% constant and never changes regardless of rotation and playstyle.

Runic Empowerment=45 Runes total in 100 Rune strikes. Now if played perfectly this could yield all DS runes and you could in theory run a perfect rotation never giving up any RP for RSs and get 22.5 Deathstrikes per 100 RS.

Runic Corruption=45 procs out of 100 rune strikes and the uptime of the buff is modified by the amount of haste you have. I run 0 haste on my DK currently so the buff uptime is 2.5 seconds which would yeild 112.5 seconds of 100% haste uptime on my rune regen. Standard Rune regen time is 8.33 seconds and 4.17 seconds with the buff procced. So if the buff is up for 112.5 seconds that yields 26.97 runes times 3 since all of the runes regen at once for 80.93 runes but the value is only half of that since we are already regening and we are just doubling our regen rate not saying that our regen rate is 0 while the buff is active thus yielding 40.46 runes per 100 Rune Strikes. Now the kicker here is that only 2/3 of those runes are even usable for Deathstrike. So that leaves us at approx 13.489 Death Strikes per 100 Rune strikes with Runic Corruption.

So my contention here is that while if you wanted to be very lazy and have a really easy rotation that yielded you a very steady rate of DSs you can roll with Blood Tap but if your a true min/maxer then the obvious choice is Runic Empowerment as it actually yeilds the highest Deathstrike per Rune Strike and also the highest dps and rune regen overall.

Runic corruption currently for blood is a complete waste of a point and not only is lower dps than RE for us but the survivability aspect of it is terrible in terms of the other two choices.

If my math or logic is in anyway wrong please help me out here but I am pretty sure my math is sound and if this is going to be a guide for thousands of Tanking DKs I think they should know how much they are losing in terms of survivability with RC.

#36 Tyvi

Tyvi

Never, Mags. Never!

• • Guide Author
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

So my contention here is that while if you wanted to be very lazy and have a really easy rotation that yielded you a very steady rate of DSs you can roll with Blood Tap but if your a true min/maxer then the obvious choice is Runic Empowerment as it actually yeilds the highest Deathstrike per Rune Strike and also the highest dps and rune regen overall.

Speccing anything besides RE has nothing to do with laziness or being inefficient. RE gives the highest returns which will give you the highest Death Strikes per minute (barring some bad RNG). Your math isn't wrong here.

What you are missing is that only using Runes/DS per minute is a bad metric to determine which Tier 5 talent to pick - we don't just hammer our Death Strike button on CD after all.
In addition, a single RE proc doesn't do anything for your survival on short term whereas a single RC proc does. RE pulls ahead on long term, naturally, but that might not be enough of a consolation if you die because you were 2-3 seconds off your next Death Strike with only one procced Rune from RE. (Plague Leech helps with this, but it's not always going to be up for cases where you want to Death Strike with a single RE proc.)
Blood Tap's use as well is not just giving you DS/min. It's giving you Death Strikes when you need them the most and allows you to store them in a different place than your Runes through the Blood Charges buff. It's basically control (stored charges) and consistency (there is no proc chance, every RS does something) in one package.

There is simply no default Tier 5 talent that I could recommend that would be optimal in every situation and doing so would be dishonest and actual laziness on my part. Sometimes you want the higher return from RE, sometimes you want the consistency of RC and sometimes you want BT for the control. A lot of this depends not just on the boss you are fighting but your playstyle as well. In the end, it matters a whole deal more with what you do with the Runes you have available than which talent you happened to pick here. Minimum heal Death Strikes aren't going to help you much, after all.
For example, if you feel like timing your Death Strikes is easier for you with, say, Runic Corruption - go for it. You are not doing yourself any favors trying to emulate a playstyle you can't pull off properly just because someone told you RE or BT is theoretically better.
And for all of us who can play with all talents equally well I listed the advantages and disadvantages right there in the guide and now once more in this post so they can choose themselves.

In essence, what my guide is trying to do is help people make an educated choice by listing the advantages and disadvantages of the talents and - hopefully - trying to curb the whole fixation of Death Strikes per minute as metric because that is just a very, very simplified way to gauge tank effectiveness.
If you feel it's not doing a good enough job or not clear enough, let me know where the confusion is and I'll try to fix it in the OP.

#37 ThrackDK

ThrackDK

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

Im 100% with you on Blood tap and I may actually forgo the resource loss to be able to bank 1 DS whenever I need to have it in my back pocket over the rotational challenges of RE. RC however is so far behind in terms of resource generation that I dont see how you could suggest this in any situation. Our primary source of survival is Death Strike there is no denying that fact and all our T5 talent does is increase the number of them that we can use. BT/RE are both very good choices and I can see the arguement for both one being more effective and one giving you essentially 3 deathstrikes saved up at once. I think saying that either of these talents will pull ahead in the long run when you can only use 66% of RC where as you can use 100% of BT/RE is a misleading statement considering right out of the box its that much less effective in terms of our survivability.

If you were to look at a 3 minute fight like a zonozz kill

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

In that short fight I had 40 Rune strikes

Now I only had 12 RC procs which is bad rng but rng has no place in theory.

With the 3 different T5 talents I would get

Blood Tap = 16 DS

RE= 18 DS

RC= approx 12 DS

If you look at it in these terms your saying that over a 3 minute fight im getting 6 more DSs with RE over RC and this is in a very short fight. I understand you want to time your DSs for maximume effeciency however I think anyone that plays a DK at a level high enough that they are talking about this could find a spot every 30 seconds where they could use another DS I know I sure could.

There really is some serious math to be done about the extra rune return from RE thus yeilding more RP which in turn yeilds more runes etc etc etc to the viablity of having 3 DSs for certian burst situations and I look forward to those discussions but for the base information even suggesting that RC is reasonably viable in comparison to the other two is just missleading.

#38 Reniat

Reniat

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

RE does give more resources (for more dps) and BT does give more control (for survivability), but RC gives consistency, which is not something to scoff at. In hardcore progression consistency is very valuable, and while I'd still prefer the control of BT there is an argument to be made for the consistency of RC in hardmode progression.

Hardmode tanking is all about handling burst damage. If you are playing at least remotely correctly (which you generally should be if your are doing hm progression) then overall healing taken and mana isn't going to be much of an issue, making it boil down to essentially how you handle the burst damage of either mechanics (high stacks of zonozz's buff, ph2 on warmaster ect.) or just large full hits from normal 25H boss swings. Blood tap gives us the ability to pool a DS, so that we always have one on deck in case of a surprise burst. RC gives us consistency, which will help to reduce the randomness of our damage intake. While i prefer to have the tools to deal with the spike damage (blood tap) having a more reliable dmg intake is also viable if your healers are consistent enough to be able to find a "groove". So while i agree that BT is still optimal, RC isn't exactly useless either.

#39 ThrackDK

ThrackDK

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

RE does give more resources (for more dps) and BT does give more control (for survivability), but RC gives consistency, which is not something to scoff at. In hardcore progression consistency is very valuable, and while I'd still prefer the control of BT there is an argument to be made for the consistency of RC in hardmode progression.

Hardmode tanking is all about handling burst damage. If you are playing at least remotely correctly (which you generally should be if your are doing hm progression) then overall healing taken and mana isn't going to be much of an issue, making it boil down to essentially how you handle the burst damage of either mechanics (high stacks of zonozz's buff, ph2 on warmaster ect.) or just large full hits from normal 25H boss swings. Blood tap gives us the ability to pool a DS, so that we always have one on deck in case of a surprise burst. RC gives us consistency, which will help to reduce the randomness of our damage intake. While i prefer to have the tools to deal with the spike damage (blood tap) having a more reliable dmg intake is also viable if your healers are consistent enough to be able to find a "groove". So while i agree that BT is still optimal, RC isn't exactly useless either.

The fact remains that as a blood DK you can only take advantage of 66% of any RC proc for survivability as you get the blood runes regening as well as your F/UH and you can take 100% advantage of the other two if played correctly. You can make any arguement you want about situational happenings but the math doesnt back you up if your talking about true min/max theory crafting then no reasonable DK would ever think about taking RC in any situation. If anyone could show me some math or actual theorycrafting to discount what im saying id love to discuss it as my only drive here is to find the absolute best talent for us.

Statements like ....

RC gives us consistency, which will help to reduce the randomness of our damage intake

This statement is so completely wrong...about the only thing that RC gives us consistantly is less survivability than RE and BT due to generating fewer DS per RS. Your basically saying that by having a steady stream of fewer DS per RS we are going to be more equiped to handle damage spikes which makes absolutely zero sense and mathmatically is completely unprovable.

I understand the timing of DS in reaction to damage and that DS/min isnt the end all again but I was mearly showing with emperical data that you would gain 1 DS per 30 seconds with RE over RC. Considering that even if your timing your DS pretty well you will be able to find another gcd in there somewhere to take advantage of that DS.

Im really confused as to why we are saying that RC is even close to viable for blood the math and TC is really simple and your basically arguing that gaining 50% more resources from a talent could be a bad thing in some situations which is laughable and no true TC would ever think that.

Im not saying that there is a clear cut winner between BT/RE as I can see situations for both but RC is completely unviable for Blood in current form.

#40 Reniat

Reniat

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

The only math that completely eliminates RC as an option is DS/min, and you seem to already grasp the idea that DS/min isn't everything. RE requires 2 procs before you can use it, and BT requires some build up time, whereas RC has a better chance of being less beneficial over time. Let me further explain that.... It is less than the other 2, both in control and throughput, but it has a better chance per rune strike of being helpful, since it doesnt require build up like BT and it doesn't require 2 procs to be of any use like RE. The argument for RC is weak, but it is there. It's weak enough that I wouldn't consider RC optimal in normal circumstances, which is why I don't list RC as optimal in my guide. If your healers would prefer the consistency of lesser gains slightly more often, then it becomes a viable option. again, probably not optimal but definitely viable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users