Photo

Shaman: Simple Questions thread, a rule-7-free zone (Mists edition)

shamy shaman macro

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. If your question applies to one of the existing thread topics, please post it there instead. If it doesn't fit in one of those threads but you expect to generate significant additional discussion, create a new thread. If, however, you have a simple question that only requires a simple answer and don't see a better place to post it, this is your thread.

If you're struggling to push reasonable dps or keep your teammates alive and you don't know why, start by reading the guide at the start of the thread for your spec. You should verify that the answer isn't already easily available before posting. If you still can't figure out what you're doing wrong, or you didn't understand what you've read, ask here. Maybe someone will help you. But if you don't get a response, tactics like asking again or bumping your post will earn you an infraction.

Note that all forum rules other than the injunction against hand holding requests still apply in this thread, and that rule still applies everywhere else. If anything I will enforce the rest of the rules even more strictly! Clear communication is important even in short posts. A short "no" or "choose trinket B" response to a question isn't helpful, and will receive an infraction -- briefly explain the why and how of things. The goal is to educate, not babysit.

I'll repeat the point I made in that last paragraph -- click this link and read the rules before posting, and follow them when you do post.

#2 rkr87

rkr87

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

Hi all,

My first post here, just a quick one! I'm pretty new to enhancement shaman - I dinged 85 about 2 weeks before the 5.0.4 patch after about 18 months away from WoW and I just have a simple question regarding MH vs OH weapons.... Which hand should I put my better weapon in? MH for better WF procs or OH for bigger LLs? I assumed it was main-hand but after running an LFR tonight I saw another enha Shaman with Normal "No'Kaled, the Elements of Death" in his off-hand and then the LFR version of the same weapon in his main hand!

TL;DR: Should I have my better (higher dps) weapon in my OH?

Thanks.

#3 Mugsley

Mugsley

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi all,

My first post here, just a quick one! I'm pretty new to enhancement shaman - I dinged 85 about 2 weeks before the 5.0.4 patch after about 18 months away from WoW and I just have a simple question regarding MH vs OH weapons.... Which hand should I put my better weapon in? MH for better WF procs or OH for bigger LLs? I assumed it was main-hand but after running an LFR tonight I saw another enha Shaman with Normal "No'Kaled, the Elements of Death" in his off-hand and then the LFR version of the same weapon in his main hand!

TL;DR: Should I have my better (higher dps) weapon in my OH?

Thanks.

It is generally better to have your higher DPS weapon in your MH since you have fewer chances of missing/dodging once you are at your Hit and Exp caps. It is not practical to stack Hit to cap your OH because you are sacrificing too much in regards to other damaging stats/abilities. However, considering that White damage is generally low on our output list, you could experiment with both. I can say that I've seen higher DPS while I was farming for my second Normal NK, by having my first one in my MH.

#4 Sidsempai

Sidsempai

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

I know this will be dealt with once the guide is up for Elemental, but for now I can't find an answer on Spirit. I know it helps with mana regen as well as +hit, but is there anything else?

When reforging, since I am WAY over hit, should spirit be my first choice to reforge (even before crit for example), since I have no mana issues?

#5 Therya

Therya

Fudge Muffin Addict

• Moderators
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

I know this will be dealt with once the guide is up for Elemental, but for now I can't find an answer on Spirit. I know it helps with mana regen as well as +hit, but is there anything else?

When reforging, since I am WAY over hit, should spirit be my first choice to reforge (even before crit for example), since I have no mana issues?

http://elitistjerks....on_patch_4_3_a/ , I would also encourage you to use the search fuction of these forums.

#6 Ronark

Ronark

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Until the Elemental guide is up, feel free to ask any questions here or in the other MoP All specs mega thread. However, that said there has only been one mechanic change outside Ascendance and L90 talents so some of the old info will still be valid.

#7 Sagemor

Sagemor

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

To answer simply, yes, reforge out of it. Spirit does increases regen, but for elemental it only does it for outside combat.
Here is the info with my shaman.

[TABLE]Naked
155 Spirit
2174 OOC regen
2000 Combat regen[/TABLE]

[TABLE]Full Armor
1638 Spirit
3848 OOC Regen
2000 Combat regen[/TABLE]

As you can see, it spirit wont affect us during fights, so its safe to reforge out of it in regards to regen. On a side note, I've been elemental since BC, and never have I run out of mana unless it was massive AoE.

#8 rkr87

rkr87

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

It is generally better to have your higher DPS weapon in your MH since you have fewer chances of missing/dodging once you are at your Hit and Exp caps. It is not practical to stack Hit to cap your OH because you are sacrificing too much in regards to other damaging stats/abilities. However, considering that White damage is generally low on our output list, you could experiment with both. I can say that I've seen higher DPS while I was farming for my second Normal NK, by having my first one in my MH.

Thanks for the reply! After a bit of testing I noticed my DPS is higher with my higher DPS weapon in my MH!

I have another question too - How exactly do wolves work? Do they take a % of my stats when I pop them and keep those stats for the entire duration they're out or do their stats adjust as my stats adjust?

IE would it be better to pop wolves when I have Flurry up so they get the increased haste for the whole time they're out, or does it not matter as they'll gain the extra haste as and when I do?

Thanks,
Ryan.

EDIT: Typos and also to ask for clarification on whether or not Fire Ele totem works the same as wolves do for my above question.

#9 Ruga

Ruga

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

Pets have been reworked to always use your current stats so they dynamically change as you gain and loose buffs.
As for the Flurry, I can't answer you on that one as I'm not 100% on it.

#10 Sidsempai

Sidsempai

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

Would it be possible to have an 80% damage reduction for 5 seconds during a high damage phase?

I.e. Would 40% Astral Shift stack with 40% Unleashed Fury - Rockbiter?

#11 Pyrdon

Pyrdon

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

As far as I know damage reducing effects work multiplicative. Meaing:
With Astral Shift you would take 1 * 0.6 = 0.6 = 60% damage.
Together with Rockbiter Weapon you would take 0.6*0.6 = 0.36 = 36% damage.
(0.6 because 60% of the damage is left after the reduction)

Please correct me on this topic if I'm wrong.

#12 Ronark

Ronark

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Correct, unless specified all damage increases, damage decreases, and movement speed effects are multiplicative.

#13 Obeliske

Obeliske

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Which spec currently does the best DPS Ele or Enh? and by how much?

#14 MissnL1nK

MissnL1nK

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

I did not see this mentioned in the Elemental guide so please correct me if it is there.

Does the Elemental mastery 5% spell haste stack with the 5% spell haste passive from Elemental Oath?

It has been mentioned on other forums that it does not stack, thus making the talent pretty much useless. Has this been fixed or does it in fact not stack.
My better smells like french toast.

#15 Iol

Iol

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Elemental mastery 5% spell haste

I assume you mean Ancestral Swiftness? AS does stack with w/e source of 5% spellhaste raid buff.
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

#16 MissnL1nK

MissnL1nK

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

I assume you mean Ancestral Swiftness? AS does stack with w/e source of 5% spellhaste raid buff.

Yes I did mean AS, sorry for the typo.
My better smells like french toast.

#17 Iol

Iol

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

I may have been wrong... It looks like it stacks with Elemental Oath, but not moonkin aura... Anyone else noticed that?
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

#18 Ronark

Ronark

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

I may have been wrong... It looks like it stacks with Elemental Oath, but not moonkin aura... Anyone else noticed that?

Both buffs are in the 5% haste class- the shaman will have the buff present even if it is not shown on blizzard's buff bar. The same us true with Burning Wrath when solo.

#19 stom

stom

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Stupid question probably but I was wondering if the Relic of Chi Ji and Spirits of the Sun would have any proccing problems due to thier close resemblance?

#20 B Ferret

B Ferret

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

I am just curious as to what DPS people seem to be doing at roughly 465 Item Level as Elemental?
World of Logs has people pushing over 300,000 DPS, while I am sitting at around 50k, spiking up to 90k or so when I pop all my cooldowns w/ Bloodlust and such.

Is there something I'm doing severely wrong?

I am using the priority listed on Elitist Jerks with Elemental Blast talent, I do make some mistakes but I don't see how I am down by 260,000 DPS.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shamy, shaman, macro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users