• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#1 Tehax

Tehax

Pretty Pony

• Moderators
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:22 PM

Welcome to the Death Knight Simple Questions thread. This thread is for all your simple questions which you expect to have simple answers and thus do not require their own thread.

Note that all forum rules still apply: we said simple questions, not stupid questions (which have no place on these forums). You're still expected to make a reasonable effort to find the answer yourself by searching and reading the threads and making use of spreadsheets and any other tools that may be available. If, however, you're fairly confident that your question is not easily answered with available information, but don't think it will generate sufficient discussion to require it's own thread, this is the place to ask.

#2 Dkbel

Dkbel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Couldn't find an appropriate forum section for this so I just went to my class.
My question is; does reforging round up, down, or keep the decimal in mind? I know that it takes 40% out of a stat and puts it into another. What I want to know is if it follows normal math rules of rounding up or down. For example 56.4 rounds down to 56 because it's closer and vice versa for 56.6. Or if it keeps the decimal number hidden and adds the decimals up after the whole number is calculated for my final stats.

#3 gharnef

gharnef

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

It rounds down. I tested this by going through my gear. For example, has 167 crit, which I have reforged to haste - giving me 66 haste. 167*.4 = 66.8. I checked a few other pieces to make sure and they all rounded down also.

#4 Minoan

Minoan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

Missed(messed up) at work the blue post that says that Army won't loose it's cool down before every boss pull, but rumors are telling that it was already answered. Can someone link that blue post about army won't get refresh after every wipe/before every pull or we still have some hope about it?

#5 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

Missed(messed up) at work the blue post that says that Army won't loose it's cool down before every boss pull, but rumors are telling that it was already answered. Can someone link that blue post about army won't get refresh after every wipe/before every pull or we still have some hope about it?

Fortunately, the post you are referring to was superseded shortly afterwards by another blue post which confirmed that the decision had been reevaluated. Cooldowns such as Army and Empower Rune Weapon will benefit from the reset technology in Mists.

For reference, here is the original post stating that it wasn't going to happen: Beta Class Balance Analysis Pt. II - Forums - World of Warcraft

Here is the later post that described the change of heart: Beta Class Balance Analysis Pt. II - Forums - World of Warcraft

#6 Hinenuitepo

Hinenuitepo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

I was wondering if anyone has done any maths on using corpse explosion glyph - would that be of any benefit in aoe situations (say, Zon'ozz for example)?

#7 nilshaus

nilshaus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

I was wondering if anyone has done any maths on using corpse explosion glyph - would that be of any benefit in aoe situations (say, Zon'ozz for example)?

Corpse Explosion currently does no damage.

#8 Mendenbarr

Mendenbarr

Oh, I never leave home without my party cannon.

• • Guide Author
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

For unholy on live, crit currently has a higher value than mastery, unless you are using gurth. Will this still be true when soul reaper comes into the mix for mists?

#9 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

For unholy on live, crit currently has a higher value than mastery, unless you are using gurth. Will this still be true when soul reaper comes into the mix for mists?

No. Crit will outweigh Mastery in Mists (assuming no changes), since Soul Reaper benefits from both.

#10 Hinenuitepo

Hinenuitepo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Corpse Explosion currently does no damage.

Good to know. I'd never tried it on beta or live.
Too bad. Cosmetic glyphs may be the future, but we don't have to like them.

Regarding the cd reset, do we know if that will happen prior to MoP or does it look like we'll have to wait?
I know for this week in DS the Army cd did not reset.

#11 CB2BiG4U

CB2BiG4U

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

Good to know. I'd never tried it on beta or live.
Too bad. Cosmetic glyphs may be the future, but we don't have to like them.

Regarding the cd reset, do we know if that will happen prior to MoP or does it look like we'll have to wait?
I know for this week in DS the Army cd did not reset.

The cooldowns being reset after every encounter is something that will come when pandaria goes live. Two weeks longer isn't too long to wait.

#12 Thepiegod

Thepiegod

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Just curious but in regards to spec performance, how are the specs simming against each other in terms of level 90(DW Frost/2h Frost/Unholy). Percentage differences would be appreciated.

#13 Uspoonybard

Uspoonybard

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Just curious but in regards to spec performance, how are the specs simming against each other in terms of level 90(DW Frost/2h Frost/Unholy). Percentage differences would be appreciated.

2h frost > dw frost > 2h unholy.

#14 Thepiegod

Thepiegod

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

2h frost > dw frost > 2h unholy.

Yes, but by what percentages, is UH like 10% behind, or 5?

#15 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

You can always find the latest sim results and compare for yourself at SimulationCraft

However, there's a lot of information missing from that picture. They're not being deceptive, and they do an incredible amount of work to ensure accuracy. But it is what it says it is -- a pure single target dps burn against a Patchwerk-style boss with no movement requirements, no "stop dps" phases, no aoe opportunities, and in general, no encounter-specific changes to increase or decrease your damage. We haven't had a true Patchwerk boss since, well, Patchwerk.

So you can refer to a ranking like that, but also keep in mind what you know about the classes and specs represented, and consider how they will fare in the fights you'll be working on. DW Frost is stronger than the ranking suggests when there's a lot of adds or movement, since HB is so much of your damage anyway --- but when aoe and cleave can be risky or harmful this becomes a disadvantage. Unholy is stronger than it appears on paper when you spend a lot of time out of range of the boss (including out of HB and Siphon range), since diseases and pet damage can continue -- but like other DoT and pet classes has to pay extra attention to "stop dps" timers.

#16 terophile

terophile

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

How is Plague Leech the best talent for single target DPS in the first tier. I'm probably misunderstanding the math behind it, it drops Blood Plague and Frost Fever from the target, and gives us one Death Rune, it then costs us one Unholy and one Frost rune to put the dots back on the target. Would we only use Plague Leech when Outbreak was off of cooldown?

#17 Uspoonybard

Uspoonybard

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

How is Plague Leech the best talent for single target DPS in the first tier. I'm probably misunderstanding the math behind it, it drops Blood Plague and Frost Fever from the target, and gives us one Death Rune, it then costs us one Unholy and one Frost rune to put the dots back on the target. Would we only use Plague Leech when Outbreak was off of cooldown?

For 2h frost you use it whenever you have a rime proc and there is less than 1sec left on Blood Plague or it the cooldown on outbreak is less than 1sec.
For dw frost it's generally if there is 1sec left on Blood plague and you have a Frost/Death rune up since your main filler is HB and of course if outbreak is about to be off cooldown.
For unholy I'm pretty sure it's if outbreak is off CD, since your diseases will have plenty of uptime then.

#18 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

The key behind utilising Plague Leech is coinciding its use with Outbreak of other methods of free disease application. It requires a great deal of micromanagement and adds a new level of complexity to gameplay. I personally can't claim to find it appealing at all for Unholy.

For Frost however, consider that Frost Fever already has a near 100% uptime thanks for Howling Blast usage. DW Frost already prioritises Howling Blast spam rather than Obliterate (and games Frost/Death Runes by always holding 1 Unholy rune), thus you'll usually want Blood Plague up for its own sake rather than as a damage modifier. You could therefore time Plague Leech usage to coincide with your second Unholy rune coming off cooldown and immediately using the resulting Death Rune to Howling Blast and then Plague Strike to reapply Blood Plague.

In summary: Plague Leech is a proven DPS increase, but its level of micromanagement varies for all specs. DW Frost definitely has the most forgiving margin for error here, making it a safe spec to begin with if you like the idea of the talent.

#19 Minoan

Minoan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hello, hello,
I need an advice of Unholy DKs killed Sinestra in 5.0.*
The reason I'm asking is, I killed Sinestra as a DK 3 times in my life.
1st-for achievement
2-for Undying achievement
3-for Guild Achievement.
All three times were on 4.2-4.3, all three times I was used to spec to frost just because my Timmy was running under Sinestra and was soaked by molten lava.
Even if I was placing him manually face-to-face, he was running away...after DT, and Sinestra is not a fight where you want to spend lots of time to control your pet(got something else to control as well).
Does anyone knows how it goes now? Guys are calling me to join their last tries, and I have no idea if I'm able to burst with unholy now.
Really appreciate your help,
thanks.

#20 and

and

Glass Joe

• Validating
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

With Mogu'shan Vaults unlocked, what rotation do you plan to use as a Frost DK during The Stone Guard 10M encounter? Single Target or Multi Target? We can hit two Guards at once but in similar situations (double target) I'm not sure what's the best way to go.
A different way to ask this question is: how many targets do you need to start using your multi target rotation?
Thank you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users