Photo

Unholy DPS 5.2 | Thunderstruck

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#61 Mendenbarr

Mendenbarr

Oh, I never leave home without my party cannon.

• • Guide Author
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

Good point, you skip about 2.7 cycles on average. That's 243k over a 7.5 min fight, or 500 dps. Bumps the benefit up to 0.75%.

<Midwinter> - 14/14 HM -25m - LF exceptional raiders
http://www.mwguild.net/
DK Theorycrafting/Game Dev Blog
DK Gear/log reviews/audits

#62 Mendenbarr

Mendenbarr

• • Guide Author
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

Oh yea, set bonuses got changed.

Short version:
1.65% boost for unholy 2-set
1.91% boost for unholy 4-set

This taken with a 15 sec duration for the unholy 2-set, and 2 second extensions for unholy 4-set, using napkin math for a base and simC to confirm.

Details on how these numbers were reached can be found at Destiny Softworks: Tier 16 DPS set bonuses.

Will update if bonuses change again, but looking like it's gonna be an overall weak set of bonuses. Let's hope the proc weapons make up for it.

#63 Mendenbarr

Mendenbarr

• • Guide Author
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

The RC bug has revamped the way unholy should gem, at least until 5.4 hits and changes everything again.

Prior to this bug being known, unholy players gemmed strength in red, str/haste or str/crit in yellow, and str/hit or just straight str in blue, depending on the socket bonus. The reason you always went for the socket bonus in yellow is that str and 2x haste/crit were very, very close, and the socket bonus was always worth more than the lost itemization from having a subpar stat. For many geared players, haste/critx2 actually beat the stat value for str, but due to the way stat weights affect each other (see unholy gearing post), adding a significant amount of haste or crit increased the value of strength and decreased the value of haste/crit, to the point where you wanted to go back to gemming strength.

This changed when we found out about the RC bug though, because what the bug does is make RPPM effects proc more. The most common RPPM effects are trinkets, and any unholy players with access to them used feather and rage, both of which procced strength. With a higher uptime on both trinkets, average strength increased a fair deal, which increased the values of both haste and crit, without increasing the value of strength. This tipped the stat balance into the favour of secondary stats pretty heavily, and my testing confirms that even after swapping gems over, the balance remains in favour of secondary stats.

Here are my personal stat weights with strength gemming (Note I have tested about 10 players at this point, and they all have similar results)

Str: 5.12
Haste: 4.11
Crit: 3.08
Mastery: 2.67

Keep in mind this includes AMS soaking. Haste is so high because it double dips, both multiplying the already high uptime of rppm effects, and letting you get more attacks in during said high uptimes.

Here are my stat weights after changing my str gems to haste whenever possible, but still keeping socket bonuses.

Str: 5.41
Haste: 3.67
Crit: 3.23
Mastery: 2.76

As well as a net 3.5k dps increase.

You can see that, despite the significant drop of haste, and the expected increase in other stats, it's both an overall gain, and doesn't drop haste low enough to not be worth taking for me.

I would highly suggest everyone to re-run basic stat weights with 530-6 of simC, inserting this line after autoattack:
actions+=/antimagic_shell,damage=100000

In some cases I've found the value of crit to exceed that of haste, but for me personally and about 70% of the people I tested, haste reigns supreme, and will continue to do so until 5.4.

#64 Damyou

Damyou

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the update, but are those results using FB or the standard unh priorities? I'm sitting on a lot lower haste and I would like to find out what the weights look like for my gear level.

#65 Mendenbarr

Mendenbarr

• • Guide Author
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

They use standard unholy.
RC's significantly increased trinket uptime makes festerblight less of a gain, as simple disease gaming has a very good shot of keeping "feathered" diseases up the whole fight. I thought about doing a whole analysis of by exactly how much, but to be honest, festerblight is dead in a month or two anyway, and this tier is all but over, so I'm instead going to direct my efforts towards 5.4 content and analysis.

#66 Macheen

Macheen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

What settings did you use in simc? I'm just curious because for myself, I can only get about a 100 dps gain. This is using light movement however.

#67 Mendenbarr

Mendenbarr

• • Guide Author
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Light movement is currently coded in as not being able to melee, but still being able to use all special attacks like SS and FeS. I would not suggest using it as a dk. If you want to simulate actual movement, I'd suggest turning player skill down a notch, as when I'm moving, I find myself more likely to press a wrong button or skip one I should hit.

I used the default settings, in the dev build, with AMS soaking added in.
If you're editing the gear_strength=X things, make sure to remove the # in front, which comments it out.

#68 blessed

blessed

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

Looks like blizzard nerfed all feather-like trinkets on ptr, and reduce duration of buff to 10 sec (feather, wushoolay and renataki's), without buffing proc. Also, new gear have become upgradable, don't know if this a bug, or did the valor upgrade will move to 5.4 through.

#69 krekot

krekot

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

They said before that valor upgrade will stay in 5.4.

#70 d00mgiv3r

d00mgiv3r

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

"Unholy Might now increases the Death Knight's Strength by 25% (up from 10%)."

Its tooltip fix or?

#71 Mendenbarr

Mendenbarr

• • Guide Author
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

"Unholy Might now increases the Death Knight's Strength by 25% (up from 10%)."

Its tooltip fix or?

No, this is a buff.

It was 10% in 5.3, and unless they revert the change, will be 25% in 5.4.
This is great compensation for losing the RC bug, and should be a net buff.

#72 roarfacelol

roarfacelol

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

No, this is a buff.

It was 10% in 5.3, and unless they revert the change, will be 25% in 5.4.
This is great compensation for losing the RC bug, and should be a net buff.

Shouldn't it be an even greater buff? Because trinkets we're gonna end up using don't use the RPPM system. Plus they're upping the RPPM for current tier trinkets, so wouldn't that have already compensated for the RC bug? or am I missing something? From my perspective, it feels more like we're just flat out getting 15% str since the trinkets we're going to use isn't going to rely on RPPM.

Edit: Sorry totally forgot about the meta and the legendary cape. Hopefully the buff will net UH enough to remain competitive in the next tier cause encounters are apparently not melee friendly.

#73 Mendenbarr

Mendenbarr

• • Guide Author
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

I'm still hard at work on getting numbers set up, but currently, it looks like all 3 dk specs are closer than ever before, and all competitive.

We gain the UM buff, and UP now benefits gary cast speed, as well as a SLIGHTLY higher trinket base proc rate.
We lose the RC bug, which increases trinket uptime by much, much more, as well as haste buffing trinket rates, which nullifies roughly 80% of the buffs in t15 gear. It's also great motivation to swap over to the new trinkets, and becomes a (comparatively) better buff the more rppm effects we drop.

#74 onlylucky13

onlylucky13

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Tentative BIS, pending 5.4 going Live and fresh Sims:

Unholy & 2H Frost - Normal

Head: Helmet of Cyclopean Dread, Thok the Bloodthirsty
Neck: Malkorok's Tainted Dog Tags, Malkorok
Shoulders: Pauldrons of Cyclopean Dread, Siegecrafter Blackfuse
Back: Gong-Lu, Strength of Xuen
Chest: Breastplate of Cyclopean Dread, Sha of Pride
Wrists: Bubble-Burst Bracers, Immerseus
Hands: Tar-Coated Gauntlets, Iron Juggernaut
Waist: Demolisher's Reinforced Belt, Iron Juggernaut
Legs: Greaves of Cyclopean Dread, Paragons of the Klaxxi
Feet: Wolf-Rider Spurs, Kor'kron Dark Shaman
Finger: Asgorathian Blood Seal, Siegecrafter Blackfuse
Finger: Seal of the Forgotten Kings, Secured Stockpile of Pandaren Spoils
Trinket: Evil Eye of Galakras, Galakras
Trinket: ** Pending sims. **
Weapon: Greatsword of Pride's Fall, Sha of Pride (does not include the Account-bound drop from Garrosh)

Please feel free to correct or contribute as you see fit.

Mendenbarr's already working on this and will undoubtedly do a more thorough job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users