• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#41 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Oh, I updated the whole accuracy part in the OP (what?!?! people aren't re-reading all 20k words obsessively, looking for points I might have edited?). After crunching some more numbers, I decided that I am indeed sold on the value of Hit, but I remain a skeptic of Expertise.

In a nutshell, Exp not working on J is a big Achilles' heel since J is 3/8 of our potential HoPo generation (not counting talents. If you take SW, J is bigger than that), making Exp ~62% as good as Hit. By my math, this puts it behind even Haste both in terms of Damage Reduced and, I believe, ShoR uptime and while Exp was well behind Mastery in Damage Reduced already, I believe Mastery also will do a better job of smoothing incoming damage.

The damage smoothing vs ShoR uptime metric comparison is something I'm struggling with right now. Mastery, for example, does a lot of things to improve the smoothness of your damage intake and while part of it is controllable, adding more Mastery does nothing to let you incrementally control it *better*. Expertise and Haste do let you control it better, but they do it in different ways. Expertise lets you more reliably make use of your stream of potential HoPo, while Haste increases your stream of potential HoPo by making the potential HoPo happen closer together, shortening the time you have to go without HoPo on average. In a sense, Haste reduces your mean time between HoPo generation while Expertise reduces the standard deviation of their variability. Weighing these different kinds of variability reduction against each other is thwarting me so far. In terms of overall stat value, I'm comfortable that it goes Mastery > Haste > Expertise, but if I try to break the value of the stats down into their component parts, it gets a lot hazier.

Another tricky point is that while Control > Damage Reduction in general, there's clearly a point at which that's no longer true. Each itemization point of STR will save 3-3.5x as much damage as those itemization points put into Expertise. Is the improved control worth that? I'm not sure.

I've decided to add a 3rd gearing option, "Control" to go with "Avoidance" and "Mitigation". In the Control set-up, you go for Hit cap and then Exp hard cap (Exp sees no drop off in increasing HoPo generation until you hit hard cap, though certainly variability goes down as Exp goes up) before stacking Mastery. I don't think its the right approach, but its consistent and I understand its logic, making it similar to the Avoidance option in that sense.

Edit - What's the coefficient on FoL?

#42 Hamsda

Hamsda

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Oh, I honestly didn't reread the whole thing, but I guess I should, now that it is more polished than right after the 5.0 release.

I wasn't quite aware that expertise was that much worse than hit but I guess I am not quite used to J generating HP since I didn't ret with 2p13 at all^^

So in terms of raw damage reduction, regardless of spikyness, the different approaches look something like:
1. "avoidance": dodge/parry (balanced according to thecks formula) > str > mastery > others
2. "mitigation": mastery > accuracy stats = haste > rest
3. "control": accuracy stats > mastery > haste > rest
And with increasing control/consistency you will gradually take more total damage?

I think Blizzard actually did quite a good job this time, because gearing is not just "get CTC and afterwards either stam or avoidance" anymore but much more subtle.
There are only 10 types of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.

#43 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Some of the details are off, but generally speaking that's right on the different approaches. At 85, STR > Parry/Dodge for "avoidance", and "mitigation" is really more Mastery = Hit > Haste = Expertise but you're basically right.

Roughly speaking, at level 85, "control" will take 10% more physical damage than "avoidance" and "mitigation" will take perhaps 5% more. In return, "control" will be able to manage probably 8-10% higher (depending on talents) ShoR uptime than "avoidance" plus "control" will be able to use that uptime somewhat more precisely.

If you have 2 HoPo, CS is 3 seconds from being off cd, and Impale is coming in 4 seconds, "control" can breathe easy knowing ShoR will be up in time to cover it, "mitigation" will probably be fine, but might not be, and "avoidance" is kinda crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.

The reason I'm not more of a fan of "control" is that I think you can accomplish its biggest goals just by managing your HoPo more carefully. You should really never be in the situation above. If you're taking the next impale, its no secret when its coming. When the impale actually comes, you should be sitting on 5 HoPo and with your rotation lined up (last night I was tanking 10H Madness with a DK and we were discussing whether we could have handled the Impales without using any of our *own* cooldowns, much less any external ones). "control"'s higher ShoR uptime is certainly nice, but I don't think its even as valuable as Mitigation's higher block% which people usually forget about. Sure, if a fight involves big random, unblockable physical attacks then higher ShoR uptime would be better, but that doesn't happen much.

I agree about liking Blizzard's handling of gearing this time. For reforging gear, I can think of situations in which any stat except Spirit or Crit could be optimal for reforging to. That's pretty amazing.

#44 Tyvi

Tyvi

Never, Mags. Never!

• • Guide Author
  • 1884 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Another tricky point is that while Control > Damage Reduction in general, there's clearly a point at which that's no longer true. Each itemization point of STR will save 3-3.5x as much damage as those itemization points put into Expertise. Is the improved control worth that? I'm not sure.

I've decided to add a 3rd gearing option, "Control" to go with "Avoidance" and "Mitigation". In the Control set-up, you go for Hit cap and then Exp hard cap (Exp sees no drop off in increasing HoPo generation until you hit hard cap, though certainly variability goes down as Exp goes up) before stacking Mastery. I don't think its the right approach, but its consistent and I understand its logic, making it similar to the Avoidance option in that sense.

Edit - What's the coefficient on FoL?

While it is interesting to see how much damage each of the gearing options takes, wouldn't it be best to add a more balanced set as well? As you implied earlier, at some point adding more of the same stat will have diminishing returns on your survival/damage intake because you will have enough of that stat to get enough HP/min, avoidance or ShotR damage reduction that you are better of focusing on a different stat.
For clarity, think of it like Stamina. It's important but you only need to get "enough" of it before you start focusing on other stats and we need to find said sweet spot:
In theory, once you get "enough" HP generation through accuracy to be able to WoG/ShotR every X seconds, you should focus on Mastery. Avoidance also interacts with how much constitutes as "enough" HP generation on average because it allows you to save HP on every avoided hit (i.e. I like to think that every avoided hit from a boss with a 1.5 sec swing timer is 1/3rd of a HP through Crusader Strike you just got for "free" because you don't need to use WoG/ShotR due to not taking damage) but avoidance isn't very reliable and doesn't help you on magical or unavoidable attacks - so it's behind Mastery.

So how much is "enough" HP generation and what is our X? My gut feeling would be that once you can ShotR/WoG in response to every 4-5th boss swing you should be fine. With the 1.5 sec swing timer most bosses have that's every 4.5-6 seconds before avoidance (your base avoidance of 20-25% should give you another +1.5 secs time on average).
Once you meet that criteria, get more Mastery to make WoG/ShotR more powerful, especially for telegraphed attacks.

But that's just my take on it, really.

FoL has a a 112% SP coefficient so at 120k AP (which is not that hard to get from Vengeance) at level 90 it should heal for ~80k. Now looking closer at the Sacred Shield scaling, WoWDB shows the latter at absorbing 117% of SP every 6 seconds which renders the comparison moot if the SS numbers are actually accurate (definitely did not see that coming). :x

#45 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

SS is pretty amazing. Looking at WoL for this week, I tanked the the first 5 bosses of DS (all on heroic 10s, solo tanked Hagara, Yor'sahj and Zon'ozz, and I tanked second against Ultraxion) and we were 2-healing with resto shaman/resto druid.

Just looking at boss fights, I had ~95% SS uptime, and SS was 35% of my total healing received. SS "took care of" more damage than Lifebloom, Rejuvenation, Riptide and Earthshield, combined. It absorbed an average of 13k per absorb, and I had 201 absorbs over those 5 fights. Since it was only 12:44 worth of boss fights, I was clearly averaging more than 1 absorb per shield refresh, meaning my average refresh was for significantly more than 13k.

My self-healing was actually astonishingly high. Adding everything up, I was responsible for 45% of my total healing, and that was despite self-casting WoG exactly once and not using LoH at all. Can that be right?

Edit - I'm afraid I have to disagree with your take on HoPo generation, though. I don't think there's an "enough" level for HoPo generation. While its perfectly fine, advisable even, to "bank" extra HoPo in case of emergency, you really want your ShoR uptime to be as high as possible. And while there are times when WoG is the right move, ShoR should be the default use for HoPo and should consume the vast majority of our HoPo.

If WoG or another reactive move was our main HoPo use, then I might agree with your take on avoidance, but its not. ShoR is primary and its proactive. You can't know ahead of time whether you will Dodge an attack and thus not need to use ShoR against it. That's how DKs work, not Paladins I'm afraid. Rather, you want to just keep ShoR up for as many attacks as possible and hope for the best.

This is why the Avoidance stats and the Mitigation/Control stats don't really play well with each other, by the way. Its nice to avoid an attack and its nice to have ShoR reduce damage by more, but you can really only do one or the other at a time which is why those stats make each other worse, not better.

#46 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Oops, accidental double post.

#47 Sagemor

Sagemor

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I actually find myself casting WoG often enough. But I use my paladin for the most part when A) raid NEEDS a tank just to happen, or B) running heroic HoT 5 mans. I play dps so much that I do not often care to raid tank. So I guess the point of this post is that it varies from situation to situation. I often have macros for tanking that utilizes putting my healer as my focus, and so that when I right click certain spells (heals, cleanse, LoH, Hand of Sacrifice, AoE taunt before it was removed, etc) it would cast on the healer. I also picked up Divine Purpose for the 75 talents, which I must say in a couple of fights procced A LOT. Seriously. I had 4 ShoR back to back off of just 3 HoPo for the first one. Then followed it up with a WoG on myself cause I could.

Edit: Read it and fixed a few grammar issues.

#48 Tyvi

Tyvi

Never, Mags. Never!

• • Guide Author
  • 1884 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Edit - I'm afraid I have to disagree with your take on HoPo generation, though. I don't think there's an "enough" level for HoPo generation. While its perfectly fine, advisable even, to "bank" extra HoPo in case of emergency, you really want your ShoR uptime to be as high as possible. And while there are times when WoG is the right move, ShoR should be the default use for HoPo and should consume the vast majority of our HoPo.

If WoG or another reactive move was our main HoPo use, then I might agree with your take on avoidance, but its not. ShoR is primary and its proactive. You can't know ahead of time whether you will Dodge an attack and thus not need to use ShoR against it. That's how DKs work, not Paladins I'm afraid. Rather, you want to just keep ShoR up for as many attacks as possible and hope for the best.

This is why the Avoidance stats and the Mitigation/Control stats don't really play well with each other, by the way. Its nice to avoid an attack and its nice to have ShoR reduce damage by more, but you can really only do one or the other at a time which is why those stats make each other worse, not better.

Yeah, I agree there is a good chance I might be overestimating the reactive nature of the Prot Paladin active mitigation because that is what I am used to from playing my DK. But I am not convinced that it is ideal to just try to increase ShotR uptime without regard of your own health (let's ignore telegraphed attacks for a moment, ShotR usage for that isn't going to change regardless of which method you use). Using a 40%+ damage reduction ability while you are at full health just doesn't seem effective because you are safe as it gets at 100% health. Wouldn't it make more sense to use it when you are, say, half health? As long as you don't die with the ShotR buff up, you don't waste damage mitigation and doing it this way allows you to make your survival more likely.

Maybe comparing ShotR with Shield Wall will help illustrate my point further: Do you think that using SW at full health is better than using it when you are low and truly need it (assuming you don't wait long enough so that you actually die with the SW buff up because you used it at too little health for the damage reduction to actually help you survive the next swing)?
It also makes avoidance easier to swallow if it happens while ShotR is up. If you avoid swings at full health with ShotR up it feels like a waste. If you avoid swings at low health even with ShotR up you still achieved the goal of buying more time for your healers to bring you back to full health, didn't it?
(Time to live doesn't change for either scenario but you shift your ShotR usage to where you are most likely to die.)

#49 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm not so sure Shield Wall versus Shield of the Righteous is an effective comparison since SW is an ohshit cooldown while SotR is closer to a rotational ability. Having played both DK and pally, I'm not even sure if there's a good equivalent rotational ability between the classes.

As far as Shield Wall (and similar abilities like Icebound Fortitude and Guardian of Ancient Kings) go, the choice on whether to use them at high or low health will depend on the situation:

The pros of using CDs at high health are more peace of mind for the healers, which might be enough to keep you from getting too low in the first place. This also has the advantage of mitigating damage before it even happens, and as such is proactive. This might also let the healers conserve mana for when the shit does manage to hit the fan.

The cons of doing so might be that it's not available if you do start getting pounded and end up with low health during the cooldown, thus needing a different and possibly worse CD to get you by. It might also lull the healers into thinking you're easier to heal, so when an unlucky hit streak happens their reaction times aren't as good.

The pros of using such CDs when low on health are that if the damage is consistent then it means the healers will almost certainly be able to keep up if they're on their toes. It might allow them to use cheaper/slower heals and not have to go batshit crazy in an effort to get you up.

The cons of doing so are that you didn't really lower the damage that got you to low health in the first place, which is probably the most important part. The CD might not even be needed because the burst was survivable without it and you can be brought up to a good health level without needing to change anything. Put another way, it might turn into a reactive ability that didn't really do anything because there wasn't much for it to do.

So which way is best? It'll depend on the situation, not just the encounter itself but how well your healers respond to damage. Based on my experience healing as well as how my healers have communicated while I tanked, I've had better a better experience using CDs while I was high on health. I've generally had good or excellent healers who knew the encounters decently though, so it will probably change based on how well they perform and how well they know what's going on.

If I were to play in MoP, I'd probably use SotR more while I had higher health so that my healer(s) weren't so stressed seeing my health rollercoaster.

#50 Theck

Theck

Don Flamenco

• • Former Guide Author/Contributor
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

A few comments:

Tyvi: I consider SS a better anti-burst tool for several reasons. One you seem to have already discovered - that the SS absorb bubble is actually larger than the FoL heal that Selfless Healer will grant you. Another is that SS cannot be lost to overhealing, while your FoL can be (as can WoG). SS guarantees ~100k absorb during any burst window, which isn't EH, but plays a similar role. Furthermore, SS costs you a GCD to put up, but doesn't necessarily cost you a GCD during the burst window. SH does, which may mean delaying HP generation that denies you the SotR or WoG that would save your life.

Wrathblood: Regarding exp and haste, recall that stat weights are very sensitive to gear. For a nearly naked paladin, my analytical calculations showed haste and expertise more or less neck and neck as far as TDR value, as is shown on the first two graphs. Stack some hit and expertise, though, and haste pulls ahead of exp. Add some mastery and exp falls even further behind. But add some haste, and suddenly exp gets better and catches up, surpassing haste once again.

This is part of the reason I took the time to write the spreadsheet I linked earlier. It's going to be nigh-impossible to come up with one set of TDR stat weights that's "true" for all gear configurations. Even two different paladins using the same "control" scheme may have different stat weights due to having picked up significantly different pieces.

I think the general point, however, is that if you're following a "control" strategy, you're not doing it for TDR anyway. You've already decided to toss out the high-TDR stats (dodge, parry) in favor of low-TDR stats that give you more control. As a result, I don't think it's necessary to use TDR to justify your stat priorities in the control scheme - it's clear that you want hit and expertise to smooth HP generation and give you control, and it's clear that you want haste to increase your generation rate and improve SotR uptime. I think that exp>haste in that scenario simply because a missed HP generator at the wrong time is far more destructive than losing a percent or two worth of SotR uptime. Expertise gives you more control than haste does, in short.

Other news: I've finished running some Monte-Carlo sims that support the analytical results. I'll be posting them this week. I'm hoping to be able to address the "smoothness" question with them as well, because now I can generate statistics regarding the moving average of DTPS to characterize spike damage events (and, for example, show them on a histogram so we can see how things change by stacking different stats).

Also, it looks like Eternal Flame has received a stealth buff. The HoT is now being affected by Bastion of Glory.

#51 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Theck,

Good points as usual. First off, SS. Am I crazy or is this ability borderline (or possibly not so borderline) OP when looking at how it scales with Vengeance? I'm a little disappointed at the lack of tank comparison theorycrafting going on as it makes me feel on shaky ground making statements like that which shouldn't be hard to verify one way or the other.

I can't recall if I mention it, but I actually came up with my weightings by plugging my own gear into your spreadsheet as a starting point, and then varied different stats by various amounts and noting how the stats impacted each other both in degree and magnitude. I do note that weightings can vary based on differing gear, direct people to the spreadsheet, encourage them to plug their own stats and see how they shake out but I probably don't make the point as firmly as I should have. I know that people have a strong tendency to ignore disclaimers, latch onto any numbers presented as universally applicable gospel and run with it. Which is bad. On the other hand, I feel like I'm letting people down if I don't at least give them some idea of how things look, even if there's a risk of misinterpretation of the results.

Regarding a Control strategy, I totally agree that you wouldn't be following that for the damage reduction, but I did feel it was important that people had at least a ballpark idea of how much damage reduction you're giving up by following that strategy. The difference between it and Avoidance (on average) is actually quite significant. Doesn't mean Control isn't generally better, but as with everything, there's a price to be paid for not missing those CS's.

I take issue with your comment about missing a HoPo generator being critical, though. Certainly, it *could* be critical (as with the Impale example I gave) but for progression content, I argue that you frequently don't know in advance when those critical moments are doing to be (Slashlove and Celyndrashad and an interesting debate on this in the WoW tanking forum).

You know when the better telegraphed spikes will come (Impales, Morchok stomps, etc) with a decent amount of accuracy. While its possible to mis-time things, once you have a basic knowledge of the fight, accumulating sufficient HoPo to prepare for these situations isn't very challenging even for someone with minimal Hit or Expertise. For the spikes that aren't telegraphed as well (or are caused by non-damage mechanics, such as mechanics that cc healers or force them to move), Control can help by ensuring your next generator hits, giving you the HoPo for a ShoR to follow-up the WoG.

However, you can get most of the way there by simply making of habit of building up to 5 HoPo before ShoRing. If you're at 5 HoPo, 7 times out of 9 the Avoidance strategy will give you the same result as Control. Additionally, IMO, being able to fire off two finishers quickly is small potatoes compared with getting lucky and having the crisis occur during ShoR uptime. Because the damage is already done. Obviously, big mitigation is a lot less useful when you're already low on health from an EH-boosting standpoint. Using two finishers is great for bailing you out, but its better to avoid the situation in the first place.

I believe that maintaining the highest possible ShoR up-time is the best way of doing that. I suspect that anything which increases your ShoR uptime is going to be extremely valuable for survivability. However, my last couple paragraphs are shot through with "I think" and "I suspect" because while I can math out averages and guess at distributional effects, I'm very curious what your Monte Carlo work says because I hope it'll flesh out the results (especially the variability in damage intake) in illuminating fashion. I think I know how things will turn out, but I recognize its possible that I'm wrong and will have to change my tune in short order.

Edit - I've very curious to hear if you're planning on pushing for hard capping EXP or not. From a theoretical standpoint, maximizing HoPo generation and being able to perfectly deliver a critical HoPo requires going all the way to hard cap. On the other hand, broadly speaking, your results variability will certainly drop the higher you get and I'm curious to see if there's a point at which your variability is low enough that its simply not worth getting all the way there. I wonder if there's a sweet spot at like 12% Exp where you get 97% of the benefit with only 80% of the itemization cost and it turns out to be worth stopping there.

#52 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

I wouldn't worry about giving people exact numbers because they wouldn't be accurate anyway. The setup you currently have going over things like Hit>Haste>Mastery>Expertise should be fine as well as pointing them to the spreadsheet and saying "The values you get are for your unique setup and might not be anything like someone else's setup. That's just how the game works."

You could also emphasize the fact that there are no universal stat weights with big bold red letters so that a person would almost have to be blind to miss it. That or a troll decides to go "lolwut? me no get it, need numbers!" and then get a well-earned infraction.

#53 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1822 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

A little late to the party, but here's a non-Prot perspective on a few things (I've played a healer a lot of my time in WoW, and listened to them closely the remainder).

SS is powerful compared to the other abilities due to it being passive, not despite it. Think about it this way - yes, SH or EF may arguably be better for total healing/absorbtion/whatever. However, realize that by the time you cast WoG/EF/FoL on yourself, your healers have already picked their next spell and begun casting. If you spiked low enough that WoG/EF/FoL is truly useful, your healer probably has already started their fast-manahog spell. By the time they may realize you don't need it, too late, mana is gone. No one wants to hear "Oh, I didn't heal you because I thought you were going to self-heal" after a wipe, so the healer feels they must heal. Thus your self-heals are either overheal or causing your healers to overheal/over-manaspend. SS being passive helps reduce the spikes that cause a healer to panic, and doesn't make the healer second guess when they do swap to a fast heal.

Similar with tanking cooldowns. If you use a 40% damage reducer at 100% health, you're less likely to spike low and cause healer worry. Healers can potentially regen, use a slow heal, or perform some other action knowing you can survive the very next attack. If you wait to low health to use the damage reducer and it keeps you alive, your healers are still panicking and working to get you healthy enough to survive the next blow ASAP.

The total effectiveness of a damage reducer remains the same whether used at 100% or 10% (as long as you survive), but using it at the high end of the spectrum is a quality of life improvement for your healers. Also you don't have to worry about waiting a hair too long and popping the CD at X% and dying by overkill of 10 damage. As long as it's not wasted (popped during period where incoming damage is very low, or used during normal phase when a known damage spike phase is upcoming),

If any spec can understand that 'it's not always about what's best for me, but what's best for the raid', it would be the tanking specs. After all, you dedicate your lives to not topping either the DPS or the Healing meter.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#54 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

Decided that I wasn't nearly clear enough that the stat weights were based on my own gear and that people should really work out their own. Plus, I couldn't get a combo of readability and usefulness on stat weights that I was happy with. So instead, I took out the section and I'm putting it here in this post. If someone really wants to see some sample stat weights, they're quite findable without causing issues in the OP.

==The cost of control and Stat weights==

Lets give some perspective on what's at stake in deciding between Avoidance and Mitigation stats. Sure, giving up Parry for Hit will give you more damage smoothing, but how much extra damage will you take? In a nutshell, every 100 itemization points you put into Hit, Haste or Expertise instead of Strength will cost you about 0.4% damage taken. Hit is a little better, while Haste and Expertise are a little worse.

Reaching 7.5% Hit and Exp will take about 1525 points. If you were able to take all those points and put them into STR, you'd take a little more than 6% less damage on average.

Damage Reduction Stat Weights
1.00 STR
0.88 Parry
0.88 Dodge
0.75 Mastery
0.47 Hit
0.36 Haste
0.30 Expertise

Roughly speaking, each 0.7 of weighting is worth 0.5% damage per 100 itemization points. Also remember that stat weights will varying based on specific gearing and these are averages. Theck has kindly created a spreadsheet for you to calculate your own and its accessible here https://docs.google....RESkVXb0E#gid=0

Edit - Also, going to start redoing this thread for MoP launch. Will be heavily based on this thread, but edited to be 100% focused on level 90 play, and will be its own new thread. Hoping to have it up middle of next week.

#55 bubblecannon

bubblecannon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

I've been trying to test out the SS absorb and it seems weirldy tuned (if I can trust the values from SPELL_AURA_APPLIED and SPELL_AURA_REFRESH):

At 8363 AP absorb amount is 4922
At 4061 AP absorb amount is 1472

Assuming base + percentAP works out to 30 + 0.585*AP.

I also did some testing to see when the absorb used the vengeance value - it appears only to use it on a manual reapplication rather than a refresh. (i.e. when you recast the spell manually)
(Edit: for clarity - the SS 6 second shield size is calculated on SS manual cast - automatic refresh uses the original value and ignores current AP)

This seems to greatly encourage using a vengeance tracker and reapplying on either of two conditions for some quite considerable changes in absorption:
* always reapply when current vengeance AP > when cast (use some threshold to decide)
* when vengeance is about to drop

Given how easily vengeance can spike from burst this seems a very easy way to game SS usage.

#56 Iroared

Iroared

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

DP: 40% 51%
HA: 39% 49%
SW: 35% 44%

Do the ShoR uptime calculations take into account the fact that the buff doesn't overwrite itself - instead, it adds 3 seconds to the current duration? I've done some quick math and it seems HA is undervalued in the small uptime table.

If 41% is the untalented uptime with 100% hit/exp, simulating HA as 100% uptime for 21 seconds every 120 seconds (since it would last 3 seconds beyond the 18 second duration) yields 51% average uptime. Which is pretty close to the 49% in the table.
If, on the other hand, we use 4.4 CS, 3.3 J and 0.88 AS(GC) during HA (calculated as 18/4.5, 18/6, and 18/4.5*0.2, plus 10% haste raid buff), we get a total of 8.58 casts of ShoR in an average HA, resulting in 25.74 seconds uptime. This crude math yields a 55% average uptime.

Or am I totally off and this has already been accounted for? Skimming all 4 pages, I didn't find any mention of that.

#57 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

I did indeed assume the +3 seconds rather than overwriting. I don't have my spreadsheet here, but I believe I worked out that you'd be able to average... hmm, either 5.5 or 6, I forget which, ShoRs per 18 seconds of HA and went with that.

#58 Theck

Theck

Don Flamenco

• • Former Guide Author/Contributor
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

If, on the other hand, we use 4.4 CS, 3.3 J and 0.88 AS(GC) during HA (calculated as 18/4.5, 18/6, and 18/4.5*0.2, plus 10% haste raid buff), we get a total of 8.58 casts of ShoR in an average HA, resulting in 25.74 seconds uptime. This crude math yields a 55% average uptime..

Note that you don't actually get 18/6 Judgments. In a CS>J rotation, Judgment's effective cooldown is 6.75 seconds.

#59 Wrathblood

Wrathblood

Don Flamenco

• • Guide Author
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Still haven't gotten to check what I did in Excel, but I'm at least sitting now. With perfect play, over the course of the 12 GCDs of HA, with a little luck, you should be able to fit in something like: CS - J - AS - CS - Cons - J - CS - HW - AS (GC proc) - CS - J - Cons.

Assuming you're ShoRing instantly, you'd be able to fit in 8 ShoRs. Between having sub-perfect reflexes, potentially not getting a GC proc, and possibly not having your rotation lined up ahead of time, you could reasonably get as few as 6 ShoRs during that time. On the other hand, with perfect luck, you could get as many as 10.

If you're hit/exp capped, you should be getting about 41% uptime during that period anyway. So, if you're getting off 7 ShoRs, that's 21 seconds of uptime, during which you'd have expected to have perhaps 8.6 seconds of uptime time already, for a gain of 12.4 seconds, just over 10%.

I think I know what I did. I set the HA period to 12 GCDs and didn't account for HA procs affecting uptime out of that window. I'll fiddle with it a bit when I get home, but I suspect 51% is more accurate (I'd be willing to assume you can get 7 ShoRs off consistently during an HA, but 8 seems slightly optimistic). In fact, thinking back on it, I believe I originally had DP and HA tied at 51%, but during an edit I bumped HA down to 49% for reasons I'll have to look up.

Edit - Finally got to check, and the bounding was indeed the issue. Not sure where I got 5.5-6 in the earlier post (going off-the-cuff usually ends badly), I actually used 7.5 which would actually put HA uptime at 52%, above DP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users