• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Earen

Earen

Likes Peachbellinis!

• • Guide Author
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

In the hope that I'm not stepping anyone's toes in posting this, I thought I'd go ahead and cross-post an FAQ that I did in preparing for the patch today. I did't see anything up with regards to 5.0.4 yet, and with the patch day at our doorstep I thought it might be useful for people looking for information. If I've made any errors (possible!), kindly point them out to me and I will be happy to correct them. Additionally, if you think anything needs to be added, also point it out to me and I will be happy to make the addition.

How Should I Spec?

I think the first question that is on the forefront of everyone's mind is "what do I do with these new talents". The new talents are such that the intention is for one not to be exceedingly better than the other, which leaves you many options. You should explore the talents, and find ones that suit both your play style and the dynamics of each encounter. With the ease of respeccing, you may find that certain talents are more advantageous for different encounters. As such you may want to consider using the new flexibility to respec based on the demands of each encounter.

Here is a basic "generic" spec that will get you started in the right direction.

What haste breakpoint do I need?

Since we are still at level 85, and most of our pertinent abilities have remained largely unchanged, our haste breakpoints will remain the same at this time. You will still want to have 2005 haste. Keep in mind, however, that you will be losing your idol. So if you had any haste on your idol, you will want to be sure to find somewhere to reforge or regem so that you are at 2005 again.

Do I really only have 100k mana?

You do! You will also be losing revitalize as a source of regen, replenishment has been removed and intellect no longer has an effect on your mana pool or regen. From my play on the beta, I think that you will probably feel the pinch a little, but not an extraordinary amount at level 85. If you find that you are running out of mana too quickly during encounters try backing off of your rejuv use some. If that still isn't sufficient, reforge some spirit back onto your gear. I ran at about 2600 spirit at level 85 on the beta and utilized a heart of the unliving, so if you are one of the players who dropped down below 2000 you will likely want to reforge some of that spirit back before stepping into your first post-5.0 raid.

So what, exactly, does Intellect do now?

Intellect will continue to give you additional spell power, as well as increase your critical strike.

What do I use for regen?

Spirit will be your new regen stat. As you move into MoP you will need to find a balance between spirit and intellect that feels good to you, and will be subjective to each player. I don't think you will need to make drastic changes at 85, but if you are running with an exceptionally low amount of spirit, you may find that your mana cannot keep up with the way that you are used to healing.

Will my Stat Weightings Change?

Outside of perhaps wanting to add more spirit if you are low in that area, your stat priorities will remain largely the same at this time.

What Glyphs Should I Use?

For major glyphs, I have been favoring: Regrowth, Wild Growth and Lifebloom. If you are uncomfortable with the change that the Regrowth glyph brings to Regrowth, I'd recommend using the Rejuv Glyph. With Rebirth at a baseline 60% now, you no longer need the rebirth glyph as a "must have".

For minor glyphs, the world is your oyster...or something like that. Pick whatever you want! I like the orca and stag glyphs quite a bit!

What about this new Iron Bark thing?

Use it, love it, keybind it! It's on a relatively short cooldown and off the global cooldown, so I would recommend using it often and not waiting for the "perfect" time. I would recommend making a power aura to remind you when it's available. Additionally, don't forget that you retain barkskin and they do not share a cooldown.

What about these new Mushrooms?

Mushrooms are here to stay. My recommendation is to get used to using them by finding ideal time in your raids to both plant them and explode them. Explore them and make a decision on how you feel they work for you. Make sure to set comfortable keybinds for both placing and detonating your mushrooms. I personally have my drop mushrooms keybound to "shift-r" and my detonate to "shift-t". I'm not saying you should use those exact keybinds, but with the way you must target placement of mushrooms, I do strongly encourage you to have it keybound. Note: detonate is now on a ten second cooldown (up from the six it was in earlier beta builds).

What about Lifebloom and Harmony?

Both of these abilities have had their duration increased. Lifebloom is at 15 seconds and you only need to activate harmony once every 20 seconds. You may find yourself refreshing the abilities long before it is needed, out of habit, but with proper tracking of them I imagine new habits will be formed.

Can I still dispel?

Yes! However your dispel is now on an 8 second cooldown. You may want to consider making an aura for it.

But how will we be able to kill Spine or Sinestra?!

Don't worry! Blizzard has already thought of that. The debuffs on Heroic Spine will turn into the "friendly" debuff after only one cleanse (which will make it more challenging to get onto your tanks - so you may want to anticipate them taking more damage). For Sinestra, each time you cleanse wrack your timer on cleanse will be reset, so nothing will change about the cleansing aspect of this encounter.

Will the way I heal change?

Largely you will heal the same way. Our core toolkit has not changed much at all, and so the way that we heal remains very similar to how it is currently. You will want to try to work in mushrooms and if you find that you are struggling with your mana, you may want to use rejuv a little less. But largely I think you will feel fairly comfortable with your toolkit post 5.0.4.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

is recruiting! Learn More About Two Night a Week Progression!

Blog | YouTube | Twitter

#2 volkvin

volkvin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

With Rebirth at a baseline 60% now, you no longer need the rebirh glyph as a "must have".

First time i hear of this. Links?

#3 bobn64

bobn64

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

First time i hear of this. Links?

I just tested rebirth while totally untalented and unglyphed on the live realms, and it does res at 60%. I'm not sure if it's in patch notes (I don't remember seeing it), but it is accurate.

#4 Earen

Earen

Likes Peachbellinis!

• • Guide Author
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

I quickly tried to track down an "official" post for the change, but couldn't easily find one. It was changed in beta build 15913 back at the end of July/early August.

Rebirth now gives 60% health, up from 20%.

Source
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog | YouTube | Twitter

#5 Lazerdollarz

Lazerdollarz

Moonkin Hatchling

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

I'd argue strongly that, especially in Dragon Soul, Wild Charge is superior to Feline Swiftness, especially if you keep run speed on your boots. The ability to min/max movement with an Intervene on a 15 second cool down is quite powerful for the both the current and many future encounters. I'd argue that FS is a more topical choice, suitable in MoP for fights like Wind Lord's tornado gauntlet where sustained increased movement speed is more valuable than the Intervene effect.

#6 Earen

Earen

Likes Peachbellinis!

• • Guide Author
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

I don't think that Wild Charge is poor option, but I am not sure that I agree it has more value than feline swiftness as resto. I did play around with WC in the beta, but I am hard pressed to turn down a static run speed that stacks with other movement speed enchants and gives you the option to run a pure stat boot enchant, should you choose.

As for how it plays out in Dragon Soul, I can only think of one or two fights where it might be superior (Blackhorn, maybe Zon'ozz if your group is prepositioned). While you can certainly find times to use it throughout the zone, I'm not sure I'd call it a "superior" ability. I do think that first tier is going to be largely subjective and encounter specific as we move forward into MoP, and either option would be suitable. It would be my suggestion as we move into Mists to chose the ability that suits your playstyle and/or the encounter best.

Blog | YouTube | Twitter

#7 Phaelon

Phaelon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Im not sure I see how natures swiftness would be a better choice than cenarion ward. The quick CD on CW adds a really nice HoT to already having rejuv and LB rolling. Would work nicely on the tank if you are tank healing.

#8 Fumsy

Fumsy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Your thread inspired this blog post.

It's important to note two things:
1. Each talent per tier facilitates execution of very different encounter mechanics
2. We can now change a single talent (out of combat) without having to visit a trainer

For these reasons, it no longer makes sense to strive for the perfect talent tree because there is no such thing. Talents should be considered individually on a fight-by-fight basis.

Some talents might not be worth choosing because their tuning is off (read: Force of Nature), but I highly recommend trying to break the mold that is the cookie cutter spec. You should plan on changing talents throughout a given raid night to adjust for each boss you fight.

#9 Sprucelee

Sprucelee

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Im not sure I see how natures swiftness would be a better choice than cenarion ward. The quick CD on CW adds a really nice HoT to already having rejuv and LB rolling. Would work nicely on the tank if you are tank healing.

Well the whole idea is to make the talents very close to each other, so it is not a surprise some will favor CW.

The reasons I prefer NS:

1. It provides a tool in an area we are weak. I already have hots, lots of hots, and CW is basically a 6-second, 3 tick rejuv. It's really not all that interesting (to me) to be honest, or particularly strong, and I worry about it over-healing if used proactively (triggered by a small amount of damage). A large instant heal is not something I have lots of choices for, and is also a great tank healing tool considering the boost. I can also control its over-healing better.

2. Frankly, I have used NS forever and it would feel odd not having it. And from my perspective it only got buffed on its cool new 1 minute CD, so I am all the happier to use it 2x as much these days.

I'd argue strongly that, especially in Dragon Soul, Wild Charge is superior to Feline Swiftness, especially if you keep run speed on your boots. The ability to min/max movement with an Intervene on a 15 second cool down is quite powerful for the both the current and many future encounters. I'd argue that FS is a more topical choice, suitable in MoP for fights like Wind Lord's tornado gauntlet where sustained increased movement speed is more valuable than the Intervene effect.

I am also on the FS side of the fence (as my standard choice). I have yet to see an argument for using WC all the time that did not seem mostly forced, where FS could have performed on a specific mechanic almost as good, BUT also provided faster movement for every other mechanic, especially basic "get out of fire" ones. My testing in DS last night did not change my opinion really, there was not one fight I felt WC would have been better overall than FS.

I will add that I think it is "nifty" and fun. And I bet many druids will be pro at using all the variants in each form, but at the end of that day I will still feel it is a bit forced and more fun than effective.

I know there will be exceptions where WC will be really handy, and I expect I will spec into it for encounters, but I think it is the exception and FS is baseline.

#10 Tigerlady

Tigerlady

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

I think it is important to note that the haste bonus from Soul of the Forest works for Wild Growth so it may be worth taking instead of Incarnation in many situations.

#11 Earen

Earen

Likes Peachbellinis!

• • Guide Author
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

I have clarified the talents section to include better direction on the flexibility of the talents, as well as clarified the offered spec as a basic starting spec to get people moving in the right direction. I also updated it to have a link, rather than a graphic so as not to be misleading.

If you think it should have more clarification, just let me know!

Blog | YouTube | Twitter

#12 Trikolas

Trikolas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

I find Soul of the Forest to be a much better overall HPS talent in almost every situation over Incarnation. The only time I have been switching to Incarnation in the mogu'shan vaults was on bosses with extremely hard healing periods, even then I wasn't sure that a "Soul of the forest - Tranquility" wasn't a much better option than the old tree of life form healing that Incarnation allows.

Just my .02,
Trikolas

#13 Earen

Earen

Likes Peachbellinis!

• • Guide Author
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

How are you finding SotF vs. Incarnation in DS currently? I found that I really valued the mana savings from ToL on the longer fights (Spine, DW) the other night.

Blog | YouTube | Twitter

#14 Sprucelee

Sprucelee

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

I agree with both of you. I really like SotF and plan on it being my preferred talent, BUT like you were thinking Earen, I just stuck with Incarnation for my DS run the other night for the mana cooldown.

BTW, Soul of the Forest doesn't effect tranquilities output, only the channel time, which can be helpfull in its own right depending on the mechanic.

The constant buff to WG from SotF is pretty dramatic though... and if you have a tank heavy fight or responsibility, buffing LB/RJ on them can also be nice.

#15 Fumsy

Fumsy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

@Beru, thanks for the extra clarification. I think that works nicely. Are you planning on going into detail for the talents or do you intend to leave that for whoever does the lead post?

Healing DS with the nerf last night, SotF made some fights extremely easier, obviously the ones with lots of stacking. So I think SotF cannot be ignored for those fights: Morchok, Yor'sahj, Ultraxion, and Madness.

For Blackhorn, SotF will still be stronger. In P1 the hardest part to heal having a strong WG makes a huge difference. In P2, spike tank healing can be the biggest problem but you can keep a hasted LB up on the tank almost the entire time. LB last 15 seconds and SM has a 15 second CD so at some point the CD's will line up such that you will lose the hasted LB due to latency, but that can be remedied by, near the end of the SM CD, you use LB->SM-> LB so there's only a single GCD with which you don't have hasted LB rolling on the tank.

The hardest part about healing Zon'ozz isn't the part where you're stacked, it's the black phases. The way healing works on Spine (the most difficult parts being spread out ~3 minutes for rolls), lines up very well with long CD's. So for those 2 fights, Incarnation is certainly the superior choice. Those are also two very good fights for conserving mana, of course.

Hagara isn't a very difficult heal with 3 healers, so I would use Incarnation for that fight for the stronger healing or saved mana during lightning phase. But we used 2 healers, so I chose Incarnation, but when I got iceblocked we lost somebody so I might actually use Force of Nature next time we 2-heal so there's a little bit more than just whatever HoT's managed to get out before being frozen.

#16 Earen

Earen

Likes Peachbellinis!

• • Guide Author
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

I do not plan on going into more detail on the talents here as this is intended as just a quick FAQ/reference to tide us over.

The Mists Compendium will have more detailed information on talents.

Blog | YouTube | Twitter

#17 Kjeldorian

Kjeldorian

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Haste is not extending the number of direct heals from Tranquility, but it extending the number of ticks from the HoT portion of Tranquility.

Here is some napkin math on Beta @90 between Tier 4 Talents. (Please note these are ideal situations, not taking into account cost, overheal, etc. Just an ideal HPS scenario)

Tier 4 Calculations
Sample Calculation 5.0.4 (16010 Release)
15k Spellpower, 6650 Haste
FoN evaluation: In a 3 minute window, three casts, assuming 7 healing touch casts, healing for 5.7k results in a total of 359k healing. Versus casting 3 rejuvenations in lieu of the FoN results in 220k healing done (assuming no overheal, harmony is up). Net Healing 139k Healing in the worst case scenario more likely 249k Healing due to the typical rejuvenation overheal. With a mana saving of 29k mana.

Soul of the Forest: In a 3 minute window, without the talent and casting WG off CD (glyphed and with 9th breakpoint) the potential is a total of 18 casts resulting in 2.916 mln. Syncing the WG with swiftmend to maximize the talent and assuming no PvP 4 piece bonus (-2 second to Swiftmend CD) resulting in WG tick 13 we get 12 empowered casts resulting in a potential of 4.00 mln. (12 WG synced with Swiftmend (864k gain) also 6 empowered Rejuvs (221k gain)) Net Healing is a 1 mln GAIN.

Incarnation: Three wild growths with 15% increase and 2 additional targets subtracted by the 1 gcd for casting incarnation results in a gain of 259.2k with the additional 27 seconds assuming a maximized 27 rejuvenations which is ideal only for throughput results in a gain of 298k (the 15% from tree). Total of 557k gain.

How SoTF is working atm:
It is multiplicative resulting in a flat increase and a multiplier to your existing haste value (includes trinket procs)
Your Haste = 50% + Your current haste *1.5 [w/o 5% spell haste]
With the 5% spell haste the math gets a little tricky.
Your Haste = 50%*1.05 + Your current haste * 1.5 *1.05 + 5%

#18 Kjeldorian

Kjeldorian

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

Misc Addendum to the FAQ if you think it's necessary:

Note the loss of Replenishment (1% total mana over 10 seconds) and Revitalize has hampered our pre-5.0.4 mana regeneration.

Mastery went from ~179 points per 1% to ~143 points per 1%

Rejuvenation - Immediately heals for 1 tick equivalent

Wild Mushroom: Bloom CD went up from 6 seconds to 10 seconds from Beta (16010) -> Live.

Dash / Ironbark / NS are off the GCD.

#19 Earen

Earen

Likes Peachbellinis!

• • Guide Author
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

I have a question with regards to your Incarnation math - it looks to me as you are largely only calculating WG and a rejuv from the bonus, for maximum throughput gain, is this correct? If so, do you think it might be beneficial to also add in what you might gain from the additional LB healing, OoC proc and subsequent Regrowth (glyphed) healing (or at least an estimate/average) as well as the mana savings from the ability into your calculations?

While maybe not as a large a throughput increase, I think it is likely pertinent to include both the healing done and the mana savingins in an analysis of the benefit, otherwise you are missing a fair bit of what ToL offers by narrowing it down and limiting it to just WG and Rejuv and strictly maximum throughput benefits.

I don't disagree that SotF is going to be very powerful at 90, but I also think you might be selling ToL a little bit short.

Blog | YouTube | Twitter

#20 Earen

Earen

Likes Peachbellinis!

• • Guide Author
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

I did have a quick question for you (or anyone else) on something I noticed in testing the other day - have you observed the "efflorescence" portion of swiftmend critting? In some testing I did the other day I noticed that I was having that portion of swiftmed coming up with a "critical" heal, but it was almost always the first tick when it occurred. If this is not a bug, then it appears that the "efflorescence" portion is now capable of critting.

Blog | YouTube | Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users