• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#141 DarthMetatron

DarthMetatron

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

The runspeed enchant can be quite significant on movement fights for bot the mechanics and also DPS. If you get to a spot 1 second faster you're getting an extra second to DPS, which means an extra 50-90k damage right there. Given the number of movement fights, the DPS gain from going with the runspeed enchant is better than going for the slightly better itemization.

Let's go on the low end of things and say 40k in that second. If the better itemization gave 100 dps then it would take 6 minutes and 40 seconds for the better itemization to be equal to the runspeed. Chances are you're going to move more than once during the fight though, so that extra DPS time really adds up and could go past 100k, which means you'd need to spend over 16 minutes in the fight. How many Patchwerk fights have there been that lasted that long? None. Stick with the runspeed and make things easier on yourself and your raid by being quicker.

There are a lot of "ifs" and "buts" in this classic debate, but it boils down to the fights themselves. I doubt anyone is craving 100-150 DPS so badly that they are going to swap back and forth boot enchants between high and low movement fights.

Pandaren's Step is a 9% speed increase (10% with Death's Advance activated), which if you run for 5 seconds, will give you .45 seconds more to DPS. 50% of a GCD...if you have available resources Obliterate (~60k) or Frost Strike (~35k) (most likely no KM if you're moving). In a 7 minute Patchwerk fight, the Haste enchant (more like ~150 DPS) would net you ~63k damage.

My recommendation is that if you spend more than 10 seconds running towards the desired target (trying to get into melee range) in a specific encounter, it is worth having the Pandaren's Step enchant.

But if you look at the current tier, how many fights would this be the case? Appears to be less than half.

Possibly a small increase in overall damage, but not enough for me to drop the utility of the minor run speed improvement.

#142 djxak

djxak

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Runespeed enchant means not only DPS difference. It is QoL increase. You can run from void zone faster etc.

#143 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

GC added some more information:

Death Knight
- We are changing the 4pc Frost / Unholy set bonus from Army of the Dead to Killing Machine and Sudden Doom proc more often. We don't have numbers yet and it's possible they won't work out. In addition to all the concerns mentioned, it was a really valid point that Army of the Dead is hard to use in Raid Finder, where most of our players experience raids. You rarely get countdowns before a pull and players in general are used to yelling at DKs who use Army because they had a bad experience at some point with the ghoul taunt.

In short, it seems we can kiss any set bonus modifying AotD goodbye since they've realized not everyone thinks it gets used well.

Changing it to work on KM and SD has some interesting effects. Since this is Frost, I'll go over my thoughts about the potential KM increase:

Balancing this for both 2H and DW looks like it might be difficult at first, but because of the way each setup uses KM it might very well even out. It's obviously a boost to damage, so it comes down to whether it will impact stat weights and general gearing. I'm basing this on the relative values in the OP of course.

For 2H, I don't see the current Haste>Crit>Mastery setup changing unless it's found that using an FS on KM before an OB can be used is better, and even then it would take a lot of FS use for Mastery to pull ahead. The set bonus will probably make Haste more attractive because of more autoattacks making more pros and having more resources per time to use those procs.

For DW, it's possible that Haste will edge out Mastery. The undead troll does physical damage as of this posting, so its contribution won't be affected by mastery thus slightly lowering the percentage of frost damage we do. Haste will mean more attacks in a given timeframe and thus more chances to proc the 2p. Whether the minion itself will benefit from haste by speeding up its attacks remains to be seen.

The extra KM procs from the 4p is difficult to eyeball whether it would favor haste or mastery. Having more haste means more procs and resources, thus more FS uses. Mastery of course just takes those extra procs from the bonus and makes them hit harder. Crit will stay on the bottom, no question.

#144 Zock

Zock

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Why is Scimitar BiS for DW OH and not Kilrak?

Isn't it 120 hit + 20 mastery vs 160 strength?

#145 Ellianne

Ellianne

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Zock, the Scim was BiS when it wasn't possible to get double Eye of the Black Prince in your weapons. Now that you can, 2x Kilrak's are the BiS weapons.

A lot of the profiles that were made (including mine) were made before 5.1 came out and people need to realize that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users