• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. If your question applies to one of the existing thread topics, please post it there instead; if you expect to generate significant additional discussion, create a new thread. If, however, you have a simple question that only requires a simple answer and don't see a better place to post it, this is your thread.

Note that all forum rules still apply. Before posting, you should still Search (http://forums.elitis...showtopic=42818) to verify that the answer isn't already available. Asking people to make specific gear or spec decisions for you is still against the rules. Finally, keep in mind that proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling are even more important in short posts than long ones.
Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#2 Professor Hurt

Professor Hurt

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

I've been using Elemental Force while gearing up through heroics, and have noticed I'm not getting any procs. I then tested on a target dummy for about 10 minutes and didn't see any there, either. This has gone on for several days, spanning many heroics.

Am I missing something?

#3 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

It's either not showing up in the logs or there's a legitimate bug preventing it from proccing. I recommend going to Blizzard's official forums with a log report and your testing methodology to see what's going on in case it is an actual bug. Try testing at certain distances and angles from the target dummy since some effects have been known to not work unless you're right on top of the target.

#4 Professor Hurt

Professor Hurt

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

It's either not showing up in the logs or there's a legitimate bug preventing it from proccing. I recommend going to Blizzard's official forums with a log report and your testing methodology to see what's going on in case it is an actual bug. Try testing at certain distances and angles from the target dummy since some effects have been known to not work unless you're right on top of the target.

Edit: This was just a reporting error. The proc seems to function correctly.

#5 Nisall

Nisall

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

I only have very limited experience with elemental force since (and pre) 5.1 since I bought a cheap weapon with EF on it to farm Viscidus for the pet. I noticed my combat log didn't show any procs either, however it does work for shattering Viscidus. So I'm not sure where it goes wrong, but based on how the boss reacts EF does proc.

#6 Kwayver

Kwayver

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

What are the stat weight differences between PvP power and Strength for Ret Paladins?

#7 Icharispally

Icharispally

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have a question about Execution Sentence. Which buffs increase the DPS of this spell.
Strength, Haste (more ticks?), AP (= more SP), etc?

#8 Nisall

Nisall

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Execution Sentence takes a snap shot of your AP/SP, crit, AW and Inquisition when you cast it. So it's smart to use ES together with procs/potions/GoAK/use items whenever possible without delaying it too much. I believe others in the ret have tested/shown that it does not get affected by haste or bloodlust.

#9 duebasta

duebasta

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I have a question. I have not been able to find the time to check this out or not, hoping to before tonight's raid.

Does a disc priests bubbles and a holy pally's bubbles stack, or cancel? I mean if a disc priest divine agies is stacked up to 200k and the holy pally's is stacked up to 120k does the tank have 320k absorbs?

#10 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

I have a question. I have not been able to find the time to check this out or not, hoping to before tonight's raid.

Does a disc priests bubbles and a holy pally's bubbles stack, or cancel? I mean if a disc priest divine agies is stacked up to 200k and the holy pally's is stacked up to 120k does the tank have 320k absorbs?

Yes. Blizzard would have rather angry players breathing down their necks if the core features of the specs didn't stack.

#11 rayrayray

rayrayray

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

When it comes to stats, I understand that ret paladins are supposed to make it their first priority to cap hit and expertise, as mentioned in the ret paladin thread here. However, I have a question about this -- what is considered expertise capped for a ret paladin? Should a ret paladin be stopping at 7.5%, or push for the full hard cap of 15%?

#12 TerellinMisha

TerellinMisha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

As a ret, or in general any DPS that is subject to parry, you should be attacking from behind as much as possible, which means that going for expertise over the dodge cap is unnecessary, as bosses cannot parry attacks from behind. So the 7.5% is all you need to shoot for.

#13 Anvilandy

Anvilandy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hello everyone,

me and another ret Paladin from my Guild are facing a pretty stupid Problem, maybe some of you already experienced the same problems and even came up with a solution.

It's a bit hard to describe, but basicly our problem seems to be some kind of lag issue, the better our gear gets - the more haste we get to be specific.

It sounds kinda stupid, but it looks something like this: Pushing the button for exorzism causes the attack in the bar to pop up and triggers the global cd but nothing happens for a while! After the gcd passed half or even three fourths the cooldown of the attack starts and deals actual damage.

Its even worse with the skills that consume holy power like TV. The GCD is almost ready when the holy power is consumed.

The entire thing is pretty annoying since it really costs dps, in tries where the "lag problem" as we call it is none or low, we deal about 20 to 40 k more dps, and the entire thing is waaaaaaaaaay worse in bloodlust.

First two things you might think is our PC's suck and our internet sucks. Both is defently not! the case, we both got pretty awesome computers and fast internet connection. We didnt face this kind of problem before, untill ret paladin became a haste class.

Do you have any experience or even solution for this situation? Some kind of network setting, maybe an addon, maybe a particular addon wich causes this to get rid of? We appreciate EVERY kind of help, since this is really affecting our gameplay.

if you want to inspect our chars because of haste values or what not, we're Anvilandy and Verithy from EU Dethecus.

Thank you very much in advance, looking forward hearing from you!

#14 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

...Pushing the button for exorzism causes the attack in the bar to pop up and triggers the global cd but nothing happens for a while! After the gcd passed half or even three fourths the cooldown of the attack starts and deals actual damage.

Its even worse with the skills that consume holy power like TV. The GCD is almost ready when the holy power is consumed.

The entire thing is pretty annoying since it really costs dps, in tries where the "lag problem" as we call it is none or low, we deal about 20 to 40 k more dps, and the entire thing is waaaaaaaaaay worse in bloodlust.

As I haven't personally experienced this issue, I'm inclined to say it's not a global issue with WoW or Ret Paladin. You clearly state you do not always have this issue - at least some portion of the time this problem does not exist and your DPS does not suffer. As such, I would try to track down what is unusual when it does occur.

Does this only occur during peak times (such as early evening local-time)? This could be your ISP (de-)prioritizing packets, essentially creating network lag specifically to WoW (a tunneling service could resolve, if true).

Is it more in 25s than 10s or 5s? If so it's probably spell effects. Especially if this started to occur right after a video driver update (new is not always better). Try dialing down the graphics or even rolling to an older version of the video drivers. Even top end video cards sometimes have issues. Remember WoW is over 7 years old. How they handle graphics and how cutting edge video cards handle graphics aren't always ideally compatible.

If not the above and more or less random, try disabling various mods. If you can normally get this to occur every LFR, then turn off every single mod and run an LFR mod-naked and see if it occurs. If no issue without mods, then you can start the long process of tracking down which is the culprit. Comparing what mods you use to your friend could help narrow down the common possibilities.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#15 Icharispally

Icharispally

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I have a question about AOE situations. At what point (number of targets) does HoR and DS overtake Exo and HoW. And is this affected by SW?

So if I cast a SW and am fighting X targets, at what point does my rotation change from HoW>Exo/J>HoW>TV to HoR>HoW/Exo>HoR>DS?

#16 Ronark

Ronark

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

It would be between 4-5 targets for HotR to pull ahead of Exorcism unglyphed and normal HoW. At 2 targets, HotR/DS overtake CS/TV.

With the possibility of Mass Exorcism, and the reduced cooldown on HoW for additional DS, you could roughly assume it would take 6 or 7 targets for the duration of Sanctified Wrath for HotR to pull ahead again.
Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful nice.

#17 Shoein

Shoein

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Sorry, could I have clarification on ret: should I be going for 7.5% expertise or 15%?

#18 Curulan

Curulan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Expertise caps at 2550, which is 7.5%. The same values apply to Hit.

#19 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

More accurately: boss level mobs have a 7.5% chance to dodge attacks and 15% chance to parry.

Thus at 7.5% expertise, a boss level mob can no longer dodge when you are beside/behind him. This is sufficient for Ret. If you were to stand in front of the boss, you would still have a remaining 7.5% chance to be parried. This is why you want to stand behind the boss.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#20 Nooska

Nooska

King Hippo

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Even more accurately, Boss level mobs have 7.5% chance to dodge and 7.5% chance to parry. Expertise takes away dodge first, then parry, so the first 7.5% expertise leaves just the 7.5% parry, which you can avoid by being behind the boss.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Holy, paladin, healing, BiS, Best in Slot 10N, Best in Slot 10 Normal, Tanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users