• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Kwayver

Kwayver

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:54 AM

in the dungeon often you end up in a boss fight where there are no adds, and the tank DPS drops radically. How do we increase our damage in that situation?

Glyph of Focused Shield
Glyph of Final Wrath

Consider the dps legendary meta. Pallies have one of the highest proc rates for it, and with the 1 hander + haste stacking your proc rate should be excellent.
Have a spare wep with a dps enchant on it like dancing steel, something you can swap mid-fight incase of oh s#%t situations.
Fabled Feathers of Ji-Kun provides an obscene amount of strength when it procs and the wad of expertise will help reach cap nicely

#42 s133zy

s133zy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

Now that 5.4 is released, I'm gearing faster then ever! My question is tho, as a ret paladin, when can I give up my 2 set bonus from the tier 14? Its bygging me to give up 15% more damage on TV, can you persuade me to change my mind?
When do I give it up?

#43 tokyo bill

tokyo bill

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

I've been healing almost exclusively since the end of Cata, but now it looks like I may be required to dps a bit to help my team. My ret set is 511, but with no tier bonuses whatsoever. I'm rusty as anything on rotations and looking for a current priority script for clcret to help. I've checked the ret concordance and clcret threads, but can't seem to find anything definitive.

The most current I was able to find looks like this:

inq tv5 how tv4aw cs tvaw j exo tv3

I wonder if this is correct, and also if it is appropriate to add in execution sentence anywhere?

Any help most gratefully received.

#44 Maelchav

Maelchav

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hello all.

Starting to heal in arenas, and I was wondering if it'd be worth it to get a DPS weapon for all-out-burn-down times. After getting all the healing gear I need, of course.

I know Retribution paladins have their Spell Power determined by their Attack Power, and nothing else can improve it; is there any corresponding mechanic for Holy paladins and their Attack Power? Would switching from a healer weapon & shield to a Strength 2-hander (or an Intellect 2-hander) give my attacks any extra oomph?

Thanks.

edit:

Also wondering if weapon speed matters at all.  I noticed that the PvP Intellect mace is faster than the PvP Intellect sword... is there an advantage to one over the other?

Edited by Maelchav, 18 December 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#45 TerellinMisha

TerellinMisha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

In my experience running both specs in arenas, there's no reason for a healer to be switching weapons and trying to add to melee damage or anything like that. As holy your damage is scaled based on spellpower, which is normalized on weapons based on item level. Best bet for increasing damage if you're trying to help burn would be getting all the int you can, and going for a shockadin build with the denounce glyph and the harsh words glyph. All in all, though, you're better off keeping your opponent's partner locked down as best you can so that your partner can have a decent burst window.

#46 Beastlock

Beastlock

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone at all has seen some decent prot pally Haste/Mastery weights for AMR?

Been playing arround on AMR,  and I have my own weights, but I was wondering if anyone had any diffrent ones?

That way, I can play around and see if there is anything I can do on AMR to improve my Haste/Mastery abit!

Any tips is welcome! :D

PS : If you have any, I would love to see them!

06HFepw.png

#47 Agenteusa

Agenteusa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone can give me some clues about Ret DPS.

I'm a returning player( raided in Cata quite a bit on my main DK and a played a bit on Deathwing xp) and somehow I can't seem to dps properly with the paladin.

True that my gear isn't anything special but farming and getting a max of 30k dps is kinda weird specially since I know (or I think I know since it worked perfectly in previous expansions) the rotation and let's be honest it isn't rocket science.

I haven't gemmed my gear just reforged it since I'm not spending Money with gear that is going to be replaced.

If anyone would be kind enough to look at my gear (it's the char I posted with) and tell me why I'm doing such a low dps I would appreciate it.

This also extends to the holy spec since I was trying proving grounds and I can't get past silver (heck I barely made it past basic) and it isn't a question of bad healing, it's just my spells don't heal enough. I could only keep the tank up by popping 2 cd's and spamming Divine light which obviously shouldnt be done but I wanted to test it.

PS If you want for help purposes to take a look at my holy gear you can search for my name at mr. robot.

Thanks in advance

#48 Grawknar

Grawknar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Hello, I'm a bit new to the paladin class. I was wondering how the single target priority came to be -- at level 75, Exorcism is hitting all mob types for well over twice the ammount of damage CS and Judgement do. I was wondering if this is still the case at level 90, or is there a mechanic, such as say, Art of War, that explains why it's this way. Or do CS and Judgement simply scale better and outdamage Exorcism at max level?

#49 Pdawg

Pdawg

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

It's due to scaling, like you suggested.  Exorcism has a high base damage with low scaling.  When you first hit 90, Exorcism hits hard relative to CS and J, but as you gear up, CS and J hit harder than Exorcism.  Additionally, the suggested rotation in the ret thread emphasizes maximum holy power generation.  Exorcism has a longer cooldown than CS and J.  Using Exorcism over CS or J reduces the amount of holy power that you generate over the course of a fight, leading to lower DPS.

Early in this expansion, Exorcism hit so much harder at level 90 than CS and J that it was worth prioritizing Exorcism higher than CS and J, even though less holy power was generated.  With the buffs to Sword of Light over the course of the expansion, this is no longer the case, and CS and J now take higher priority at all gear levels.

#50 Larod

Larod

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hello,

I'm sort of confused with the healing strategy for Paladins, I'm a TBC veteran, just started playing again about two months ago. So I'm sort of struggling trying to look for info and re-learning my class. I'm noticing that I'm excessively using Holy Radiance + Eternal Flame + Light of Dawn. I'm casting almost no Holy Lights and No Divine lights whatsoever. Although at first I was having mana problems no I have good enough gear that mana is not such a big issue at the moment, now HPS is. I'm getting beaten in HPS throughput by similarly geared people. I know I'm giving no context and playing style has something to do here but I would like sort of a short healing strategy for max HPS, bellow is a summary of my current strategy for healing.

Beacon tank, get in melee range if the fight is sort of static like Sha of Pride, etc... I start to build holy power using holy shock as much as possible and crusader strike (if on melee range). I start casting Light of Dawn if there is a lot of AOE dmg or cast Eternal Flame on tanks for the HOT or for any spike damage that might occur, sometimes I start to cast eternal flame on everything that I can and I can get my HPS a bump there, in short I'm relying to heavily on my holy power heals. Practically no Holy Lights, no Divine Lights and no Flash of lights whatsoever. Maybe this is the way to go, just feel bit lost. 

Thanks for the time.

Edited by Larod, 18 February 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#51 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

I start to build holy power using holy shock as much as possible and crusader strike (if on melee range).

This is probably a good handle to start with corrections: Crusader Strike is an egregious mistake.  Holy Paladin are not DPS-healers.  They are straight healers.  You can spend a GCD on Crusader Strike, or you can spend that same 1.5 seconds casting an actual healing spell which also generates Holy Power.

Holy Shock is likely not the best choice a lot of the time, as well.  Yes, it's an instant heal, but in the 1-1.5 seconds it takes to cast (being a spell the GCD is reduced by Haste) you could get off much of a larger no-instant cast-time heal.

Bottom line, generate your HP through healing.  I expect a real Healadin will have more specific advice.

Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#52 Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Hello,

I'm sort of confused with the healing strategy for Paladins, I'm a TBC veteran, just started playing again about two months ago. So I'm sort of struggling trying to look for info and re-learning my class. I'm noticing that I'm excessively using Holy Radiance + Eternal Flame + Light of Dawn. I'm casting almost no Holy Lights and No Divine lights whatsoever. Although at first I was having mana problems no I have good enough gear that mana is not such a big issue at the moment, now HPS is. I'm getting beaten in HPS throughput by similarly geared people. I know I'm giving no context and playing style has something to do here but I would like sort of a short healing strategy for max HPS, bellow is a summary of my current strategy for healing.

Beacon tank, get in melee range if the fight is sort of static like Sha of Pride, etc... I start to build holy power using holy shock as much as possible and crusader strike (if on melee range). I start casting Light of Dawn if there is a lot of AOE dmg or cast Eternal Flame on tanks for the HOT or for any spike damage that might occur, sometimes I start to cast eternal flame on everything that I can and I can get my HPS a bump there, in short I'm relying to heavily on my holy power heals. Practically no Holy Lights, no Divine Lights and no Flash of lights whatsoever. Maybe this is the way to go, just feel bit lost. 

Thanks for the time.

Like Exemplar said CS is typically no no, you're not melee hit capped and even though it's a small risk that you'll miss it's still a waste of mana and a gcd. However, using Holy Shock on CD is something you want to do, it's super cheap, short cd and generate your precious Holy Power. Our heals cost more mana than other healers equivalents because we do have our Holy Power, maximizing HP generation and thereby getting "free heals" is a must. 

Regarding playstyle, if you are specced into EF you very very very rarely ever touch Light of Dawn, the only time you would do that is if several people would die unless you heal them now, which honestly never should happen. Your typical "rotation" will be Holy Radiance->Holy Radiance->Holy Shock->Eternal Flame (You want to have 3HP EF's on tank(s) and yourself 100% of the time). If you instead go the route of speccing Selfless Healer you will cast alot of Light of Dawn, and your "rotation" will instead be Judge->Holy Radiance->Holy Shock->Light of Dawn. If you go for EF you want to get your haste to 3506 or 7170 (depending on gear and preference), spirit til comfortable and then mastery. If you instead go for SH you can get rid of all spirit basically and instead just go for mastery>haste. 

A big part of paladin healing regardless of EF/SH is your cooldown usage. You didn't provide any logs so I can't tell if you're already using them wisely, but doing so is key. Try to plan your cd's ahead of time depending on the damage pattern in the fight. 

#53 Larod

Larod

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

I want to thank you all for your replies! This was very helpful! By avoiding wasting gcd on CS and just focusing on healing spells my HPS went from 88khps to 99-108Khps. I feel much more effective now! Thanks a bunch for the tips!

#54 tilano-fenris

tilano-fenris

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

Is there a list somewhere that lists the BiS for tanks for pre Heroic SoO? I have read in some forums that the 4 piece is best while others have said that the tier bonuses cease to be optimal once you get above a +13 ilvl per gear piece threshhold.

• tilano-fenris likes this

#55 stoesl

stoesl

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hi,

I was wondering what blessing is better suited if im not in a group. Blessing of Kings or Blessing of Might?
At the moment I favor Blessing of Might but im not sure about the choice

#56 Konke

Konke

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

Might is correct
"He's got to make his own mistakes and learn to mend the mess he makes. He's old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it. He's noble enough to win the world, but weak enough to lose it. He's a New World Man..."

Rush - New world man

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Holy, paladin, healing, BiS, Best in Slot 10N, Best in Slot 10 Normal, Tanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users