Photo

World of Logs Analysis (Help me not suck thread)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Forum rule #7 ("Do not beg for hand-holding.") is not in effect for this thread. If you're not happy with your performance and want some advice, post here. Some guidelines:

• This thread is no exception to the rest of the Forum Rules. Whining, rudeness, ingratitude, and poor grammar will be dealt with harshly.
  • Your post must contain a link to a public World of Logs parse. Don't post damage meter screenshots.
  • The parse must be from a 10 or 25 man raid. 5-mans and target dummies are not welcome.
  • You must be max level (90). We're not about to look over a log from a level 70 Sunwell run.
  • Your profile MUST work. If you tend to change specs/log out in PVP gear please create a character profile through Wowhead or a similar site. If you have two similar specs, indicate which one you were using in the parse.
  • You must give a few sentences regarding what you think your problem is. Are you moving a lot due to fight mechanics? Do you perform some vital secondary role that may impact your rotation? (kiting, interrupting, etc). What is your healing assignment? We can't help you if you don't help us.

Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#2 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm considering expanding this thread to include challenge-mode 5 mans. We'll see if that's a topic that wants class-specific discussion over the next month or two.
Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#3 Brokenone

Brokenone

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm extremely curious about the disparities between these two logs. This is me on Spirit Kings (10) last night; I ranked top 10 or something for Prot Pallies:

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

This is the number 1 ranked guy for that fight:

His consecrates are hitting for 4 times as much as mine on average. His AS are hitting 3 times harder than mine on average. Can anyone explain these massive differences? He took a bit more damage than me, so possibly had more vengeance, but I can't imagine it would account for that large of a difference.

#4 Allysia

Allysia

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'm extremely curious about the disparities between these two logs. This is me on Spirit Kings (10) last night; I ranked top 10 or something for Prot Pallies:

This is the number 1 ranked guy for that fight:

His consecrates are hitting for 4 times as much as mine on average. His AS are hitting 3 times harder than mine on average. Can anyone explain these massive differences? He took a bit more damage than me, so possibly had more vengeance, but I can't imagine it would account for that large of a difference.

Maybe I'm missing something (I'm by no means an expert on WoL), but the major difference I'm seeing is his block of a Massive Attack for 476k, with an absorb of ~911k. This seems to be after the 9-28 vengeance overkill fix (I can only find an Oct-3 date), but maybe the huge jumpstart of vengeance might account for some of it.

#5 Zyphenz

Zyphenz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why I do considerably low dps.

Here are some logs of mine:

And here is my armory:
Zyphen @ Frostwhisper - Community - World of Warcraft

The rotation I follow is pretty much: Use every HP-generating spell on CD (Exo>HoW>J>CS). TV when I have 5 HP (or as a filler). I try to keep Inquisition up as well.
For my cooldowns I pop GoAK for 10 sec, then wings + holyavenger. (Execution Sentence when I got my Inq up).

I stack haste, got my hit/exp cap.

I really have no clue why Im ending up so low. I don't actually move a lot on any fight whatsoever.

Thanks in advance,
Zyphen.

#6 Allysia

Allysia

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Zyphenz - The primary thing I'm seeing is a lack of AoE. DS pulls ahead of TV on two targets, as does Light's Hammer, and on Stone Dogs you should just about always have two dogs together to hit.
A note about ES: Since it takes a snapshot of your stats, you're better off popping it later into your GoAK use, to have as close to full stacks as possible, and make sure to use it during Wings definitely. The Ret thread has recently has some good comments about the opening sequence, and how things line up after that. Somewhere around page 8-9.

#7 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Zyphenz - I didn't look at the AOE-impacted fights, since Allysia already analyzed those. On the single-target non-gimmick (Feng and Spirit Kings) I'm not seeing your DPS as 'considerably low' based on the gear on your armory. Low to mid 50s is reasonable for the gear you're currently wearing.

Only comment I would make is you could probably get more mileage replacing your Coaster with something else, including the Dragonling trinket. The on-crit mechanic of Coaster and the fact it's AP instead of Str make it weaker for Ret than the ilevel suggests. A Dragonling with 600 Hit, Expertise, and Haste nets 1800 secondary stats, compared to 904 and an infrequent AP proc. Then move to a real trinket when one drops or you decide to spend the Valor on the Shado-Pan one.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#8 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Expanding on what Exemplar said, the heroic is actually better than the coaster for many specs. If you have it or can obtain it easily I would recommend simulating it in SimCraft to see if it would translate to a gain for you. The same is true for many of the heroic dungeon trinkets since the coaster really is that bad.

#9 bromli

bromli

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

The rotation I follow is pretty much: Use every HP-generating spell on CD (Exo>HoW>J>CS).

CS should be above J in your priority. This is a sizable dps loss.

#10 Zyphenz

Zyphenz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

CS should be above J in your priority. This is a sizable dps loss.

I dont think this is true though. Just look at my (pretty old) logs.

Crusader Strike:
Average Hit: 27291
Average Crit: 57217

Judgment:
Average Hit: 41774
Average Crit: 87785

p.s. Thanks for the feedback guys. Did a lot of gearing upgrades and now my dps seems fine :).

#11 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

CS is used before J because CS has a shorter cooldown. If J were put first there would be fewer CS and more dead spots during play, thus leading to lower DPS by virtue of fewer abilities used and less HoPo being generated which means less TV. There is a reason SimCraft has CS above J, and testing J>CS in it will show why.

It's also because of cooldown issues that HoW should be used before Exo. Delaying Exo is not as big of a hit as delaying HoW.

#12 Balhale

Balhale

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

With HoW vs Exo there is also the fact that HoW hits quite a bit harder than Exo after mastery is factored in.

#13 Allysia

Allysia

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

With HoW vs Exo there is also the fact that HoW hits quite a bit harder than Exo after mastery is factored in.

And the same for CS vs. J.

#14 Balhale

Balhale

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

CS doesn't hit quite a bit harder than J, it hits slightly higher at high gear levels.

In T14H BiS, CS is 46326 DPET vs J 45880 DPET. HoW is 132162 DPET vs Exo 63399 DPET.

For my last 25N Spirit Kings kill, HoW was 145391 DPE vs Exo 68316.5 DPE while CS was 46023 DPE vs J 53088.5 DPE.

Factor of 2 difference between HoW/Exo vs CS below J.

#15 Singus

Singus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

I want to see if more experienced eyes than mine can find any flaws in my performance even though it seems decent right now.

My armory.

Logs from our night of normal HoF.

We have no specific assignments on the fights that were logged so I am healing where I feel its appropriate. For example; on Vizier, raid during force and verve, random idiots during attenuation, those taking damage after mind control or simply tanks throughout the encounter.

I feel like sometimes I hold onto my cooldowns for a bit too long in anticipation of having to use them during a situation requiring elevated throughput in some way. I could probably also get better use out of Holy Radiance by always choosing the best target to cast it on more quickly.

#16 Fierss

Fierss

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

On the CS vs J comparison: I often have J come up just a tiny bit before CS. If I cast J first, following the concept of "hit whatever comes up first", they will continually clash together, with CS being delayed. So in this specific situation, I wait the 1/10th of a second and cast CS first and go on my merry way until they clash again a little bit later. I just want quick confirmation that going with my gut here is the correct move.

#17 Gloryrider

Gloryrider

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

On the CS vs J comparison: I often have J come up just a tiny bit before CS. If I cast J first, following the concept of "hit whatever comes up first", they will continually clash together, with CS being delayed. So in this specific situation, I wait the 1/10th of a second and cast CS first and go on my merry way until they clash again a little bit later. I just want quick confirmation that going with my gut here is the correct move.

It is. Has been pointed out in both the prot and ret forums before. CS > J, even though CS hits for less hard.

The cooldown of J is 6s, CS is 4.5. A GCD is 1.5s. I'm leaving haste out of the equation here since it lowers the cooldown AND global cooldown of both abilities (thus cd on CS will always be 3 GCDs, the one from J always 4 GCDs).

Because of this, when J and CS clash in your rotation, and you choose to do J first and right after that CS, CS will happen 1.5s later than your J, and thus they will both have 4.5s left meaning that 2 fillers later the 2 abilities will clash again.
By doing J > CS again, you are using CS on an effective cooldown of 6s (and judgment too).

Putting CS in front of J will result in less clashes and thus more total casts over a fight and less empty GCDs.

However, i'm not sure if there are exceptions to this, if you are generating your 5th Holy power on that clashed GCD (either with J or with CS), the 2 options will turn out something like this:
CS > 5HoPo TV > J > CS > ...
or
J > 5HoPo TV > CS > ? > J > CS > ...

Someone of the ret-math geniuses will have to figure out which would be generaly better, since Exo and HoW (during AW/execution range) have to be taken into account as well.

#18 Kwayver

Kwayver

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Has anyone factored double jeopardy into J vs CS arguement?
This glyph proves useful for a few fights in MSV (guardians, gara, elegon, will of emperor)

#19 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

CS v J - the simple form
Both CS and J are off CD. You can use either.

Scenario one: J before CS.
[table="head"]GCD|Usage|Conflict?
1|J|Yes
2|CS|No
3|Something|No
4|Something|No
5|J|Yes
6|CS|No
7|Something|No
8|Something|No
Continue to prioritize J and you delay CS by one GCD every single time (1/3 of a CS). In 8 GCD you had 2 CS and 2 J.

Scenario two: CS before J.
[table="head"]GCD|Usage|Conflict?
1|CS|Yes
2|J|No
3|Something|No
4|CS|No
5|Something|No
6|J|No
7|CS|No
8|Something|No
Same 8 GCD and you've managed 3 CS and 2 J. You delayed J only once (1/4 of a J).

Simple math:
Lose 2/3 CS vs lose 1/4 J

Double Jeopardy:
Lose 2/3 CS vs lose (120% * 1/4) J
Lose 2/3 CS vs lose 3/10 J
(Hint - 3/10 is not quite 1/3.)

Minimize your loss - put CS before J.

You eventually have another conflict where both J and CS are off CD, but losing 1/4 of a J infrequently is a lot less of a loss than 1/3 of a CS every 4 GCD.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#20 Chibe

Chibe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Details for Chibe - 28-11 19:23 - Sin - World of Logs

For some reason I have really low hps considering my gear

Chibe @ Darksorrow - Community - World of Warcraft

Would be nice if someone could tell me some pointers =)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users