Photo

World of Logs Analysis (Help me not suck thread)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Fierss

Fierss

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

I had a few gear questions. I can evaluate gear normally, but these are counter-intuitive results, and I didn't want to clutter the main Ret thread asking about it.

From my sims, I see the 502 H Elegon gloves and the 502 H. Will pants both beating the 509 tier pieces for those slots (barely, ignoring the tier bonus). I also see the 502 H Elegon weapon beating the 496 Shin'ka with a +500 str Sha touched gem.

#22 Charybdis

Charybdis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Counter-intuitive does not necessarily mean incorrect since there are many things about WoW that aren't "intuitive." For the gloves and pants it shouldn't be surprising or counter-intuitive because the Elegon and Will items are almost perfectly itemized for us with hit/haste. The tier gloves and legs are expertise/crit and expertise/mastery, respectively, so not as strong as the off set items. If you're looking at the item level difference, half a tier is definitely within the boundaries of a better itemized but lower level item trumping a worse itemized but higher level item.

The weapons difference is more difficult to identify, but it's entirely possible that the extra weapon damage on the 502 Starshatter and slightly better itemization with expertise/crit instead of mastery/crit on Shin'ka means it pulls ahead despite the extra strength with the gem on the latter.

If you think there's a legitimate problem with the way SimC (if that's what you're using) evaluates the items then you're always welcome to open an issue at Issues - simulationcraft - World of Warcraft DPS Simulator - Google Project Hosting.

If you're wondering about the results from Exemplar's spreadsheet then ask him about it through PM.

#23 Astrothebe

Astrothebe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

how important is youre weapon damage? i have a ilvl of 484 and i am only pulling about 55-60k dps and i currently rock a 463 wep..

OFC pushing harder when there are strange buffs etc. but i think its really low..

Astróth @ Auchindoun - Community - World of Warcraft

and here is my logs

Dashboard - 13-12 19:35 - adult swim - World of Logs

#24 Konke

Konke

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Weapon dmg is the highest dps increase at the moment with 4set t14 and with good trinkets (lei shi and xuen for example)

#25 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Quick glance at my spreadsheet says that 70%+ of our damage is impacted by weapon damage (autoattack, Seal, Censure, CS, etc). So, yes, weapon damage will vastly alter your overall DPS. Weapons have historically been, and remain, the single largest DPS upgrade for DPSers (casters see a huge jump in Spellpower on their weapons).

Until you have a good weapon I highly recommend burning your bonus coins on Elegon and Sha (or their LFR versions, as necessary). As has been pointed out, a normal Starshatter can beat an LFR Shin'ka (or Heroic Star beat normal Shin'ka), though race has an impact (humans get the expertise bonus on swords).
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#26 TheXFamily

TheXFamily

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Consistently 90-99% of rank limit. Never quite there. Hoping this community will be able to poke around and find a flaw in my performance, perhaps I am missing something fundamental.

Parses:
World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis
World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Armory:
Xilit @ Exodar - Community - World of Warcraft

Any feedback is appreciated.

#27 Icharispally

Icharispally

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Quick glance at my spreadsheet says that 70%+ of our damage is impacted by weapon damage (autoattack, Seal, Censure, CS, etc). So, yes, weapon damage will vastly alter your overall DPS. Weapons have historically been, and remain, the single largest DPS upgrade for DPSers (casters see a huge jump in Spellpower on their weapons).

Until you have a good weapon I highly recommend burning your bonus coins on Elegon and Sha (or their LFR versions, as necessary). As has been pointed out, a normal Starshatter can beat an LFR Shin'ka (or Heroic Star beat normal Shin'ka), though race has an impact (humans get the expertise bonus on swords).

Astroth,
I noticed in your world of logs a couple of issues that are impacting your DPS. I reviewed that data from you final attempt on the Blade Lord as this was your longest attempt at 8:13. In your Buff Details under Buffs cast you will note that your Inquisition is up only 84% of the time. That needs to be closer to 98%. Also your second most frequent buff is Sacred Shield with an uptime of 55%. Casting SS this often is a DPS loss as you are not doing any DPS.
The other thing i noticed was that you only used your Hammer of Wrath 9 times (Buff Details, Buffs Cast, Power gains). Given that you cast Avenging Wrath 3 times, you should have more Hammer of Wrath casts.

#28 bromli

bromli

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

98% uptime on Inquisition is impossible on Blade Lord, due to the tornado dodging phases. 84% might be less than perfect, but it's not nearly as bad as Icharis would have you believe. 90% may be attainable, but there are other factors. Letting Inq fall off during blade tempest might be a gain depending on ability cds.

Sacred Shield can be cast during unseen strikes, during phase 2 running, and during blade tempest. Additionally, depending on what's happening with your healing team it might even be worth refreshing at the expense of dps while on the platform in phase 2. Reasonably high uptime on SS isn't that hard to get.

9 HoW, on the other hand, is a major issue. During normal stand-still dps, with SW talent, you should get at least 9 HoW during a single AW.

#29 BentBlyant

BentBlyant

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

Just wanted a quick checkup. Downed Windlord first time today and since I have no reference, just wanted to see if there were any things I could improve on:

Logs: Damage Done - 14-01 20:26 - The Sheep who say Nii - World of Logs

Armory: Bentblyant @ Saurfang - Community - World of Warcraft

Thanks

#30 Metasaigneur

Metasaigneur

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

@BentBlyant

Try to maintain censure on the boss for the whole fight. I personally run with SoR until we kill the first set of adds (even on heroic) and switch back to SoT right before recklessness, in order to have a 5-stacked Censure on the boss right before it gains the debuff so that I don't lose heavy ticks, but it's up to you to run with SoT all along ;) .

Try a macro like :
#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast [@boss1,mod:alt,nodead,harm][nomod]Judgment
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Boss1 should be Mel'Jarrak at all times in normal mode.
If you are going for heroic soon, due to the repop of adds, it may be re-arranged and boss1 may become the fresh Menders set of adds. So you are better off with an extra button with a macro like :

#showtooltip
/tar wind lord
/startattack
/cast Judgment
/targetlasttarget
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Given this, you should go for the "glyph of double jeopardy" to maximize your target-switching with judgment to maintain censure up. I noticed you specced into Selfless healer and threw 5 FoL in total. 3 of them were during your strength procs, which you might want to avoid. Besides, you ran the boss with a 3 healers composition so that shouldn't have been necessary. Try to spec into Sacred Shield and cast it only for the rains of blades and kor'thik strikes on yourself (along with a glyphed divine protection). That should save you some lost GCDs and improve personal damages taken

Maybe it is a bug on WoL but I don't see you using your pre-pull potion.
That's about anything I can say here.

I have a request of my own for Lei Shi 10man normal mode :
I've been running with SW as my L75 talent since I have 4p, but wasted my wings often on adds or during hide. So I tried HA and had a better use of my CDs, while being aware about the boss's life for protect, and DBM's timers for specials.
All in all, I lost a full use of my CDs (3 casts instead of the 4 possibles uses) due to avoiding wasting them.
Should I use them on the add of Protect anyway ? What are your opinions on Divine Purpose for this fight ?

Another question about Lei Shi. WoL considers DPS(e) for rankings and during hide, we can't do anything to dps the boss. Should we be spamming hands (freedom, sac) and/or emancipate to virtually keep our active time up ? Maybe it is selfish, but seeing my 86k DPS drop to 65K DPS(e) makes me wonder what I can do to avoid it.

Here are the logs : Details for Metasaigneur - 16-01 20:56 - Redefined Classics - World of Logs

Armory is in my profile.

#31 Capstone

Capstone

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

Increasing your active time would reduce your effective DPS. Recount measures damage done during time spent attacking, which is why it is higher. WoL measures damage done during the length of the boss fight, so spamming utility abilities won't affect that, although if it did, it would affect it negatively, not positively.

#32 Gloryrider

Gloryrider

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Although World of Logs uses effective DPS (DPS(e)) to rank players against each other, the DPS is still shown in the analysis window. You could take a couple samples within a certain range (for example pick 10 players from rank 150-200) and then compare their not-effective DPS to yours. You could get some more info out of that

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing that the higher the value of a player's [DPS - DPS(e)], the more negatively the DPS(e) was affected by the fight's mechanics, and so, lowering your rank.
Then again, this works against people who are using utility-spells during downtime, since it artificially increases their active time, reducing their DPS (but not their DPS(e)), so it's not exactly a solid way of comparing yourself

#33 hosea

hosea

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

I haven't been here in awhile but I've always found it to be a great resource. I'm looking for help in improving my numbers healing wise. I haven't been able to get a handle on the new rotation or spells; so I know I'm much lower than I should be. I'm including a link to my char on epeen Malåchi - Epeen Bot - RaidBots - Web Tools for WoW Nerds

My main healing usage is to Beacon one of the tanks of course; then I utilize Holy Shock to gain Holy Power, for Holy Radiance usage. I use Holy Light as my filler spell and Diving light for higher damage. This expansion is a bit more technical; so any instruction that someone could point me to or provide would be very helpful.

#34 Zunda

Zunda

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

I think you're on the right track. Right now I am able to keep up with healers in my raid who are much higher geared than myself by utilizing a HS HL HL HS rotation. Make sure you're using word of glory of eternal flame. My preference is eternal flame as the ticks will also leech over to your beaconed tank. I also prefer to use holy avenger rather than divine purpose as I like knowing I can control when I will really need the extra holy power for higher damage phases.

It's important to remember that after casting a holy radience you will always proc daybreak which will take the next healing of your holy shock and heal the target plus heal all people within a certain range. Also I think LoD is not without it's benefits in a 10 man raid.

#35 Kaptenfunck

Kaptenfunck

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Details for Beefanator - 15-04 19:58 - Apex - World of Logs

I just cant get my HPS up, im far behind other paladins with equal gear and i ant find whats wrong, pls help me

#36 SupaShurume

SupaShurume

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

I've got two logs from the same night here. I can't figure out if my dps is lower compared to the rest of the melee because they're better than me and there's ways I can improve, or if it's mostly other factors like gear/class/spec/encounter mechanics. There's only one other ret that's really raiding at all in my guild, and they are always below me, so they're not much of a barometer. I follow the rotation in the Ret guide, and it's not like I do bad damage, at least for my guild. Anyway, I just want to know if there's something I'm missing, because some of the other guys are ranking with some regularity, and I haven't reached that level yet. Thanks.

Jin'Rokh 25N
Details for Duerin - 09-04 19:30 - Integrity - World of Logs

Council 25N
Details for Duerin - 09-04 19:30 - Integrity - World of Logs

#37 Calefax

Calefax

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

@Supa...There are definitely a few things you could be doing differently to help your dps. I'll keep my comments to the two parses that you linked.

On Jinrokh, you screwed yourself over as soon as you popped all of your cds at the start. On that fight you want to save everything for bloodlust the first time the pool buff is available. It makes a huge difference, especially because you aren't going to lose a cast of your cds later with a 3:51 fight length. You also want to be sure to use your dps potion with your cds, not separately.

On Council, don't be afraid to divine storm instead of TV if you can hit 2+ targets with it. Another thing I noticed is that you could be using your 2nd guardian better. You're only gonna get two, so you might as well delay the 2nd cast to a time where you have AW up also. Finally, if you want to rank on council you're going to need to utilize glyph of double jeopardy and roll censure on multiple targets. I compared your parse to one of mine (Details for Calefax - 10-04 21:54 - The Requiem - World of Logs). My parse is far from perfect, but I noticed that you had 296 ticks of censure to my 313, which is pretty significant when you consider that my parse was more than 2 minutes shorter than yours.

#38 SupaShurume

SupaShurume

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thanks Cal. I do normally remember to save my CDs for Hero on Jin'Rokh, so that was probably not the best parse to offer up. And I do need to keep better track of using my pots deliberately.

The Guardian bit was new to me, but definitely makes sense. In my head I was just thinking "use it as often as possible", so that will be a boon. And really, yeah, just handling multiple targets better in general like you mentioned.

You said you kept your comments limited to the linked parses, but if you had others in mind, I'd love to hear them. I'm sick of being overlooked by my guild, and am looking to really refine my dps. Or if that's too much hand-holding, I understand. Thanks again. :)

#39 ave416

ave416

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

My guild is a fairly casual one however i still take my performance seriously. We've been killing jin'rokh for weeks now (Only normal lol) and are up to tortos however tonight we had a lot of trouble keeping people alive during lightning storm. The third healer in our group was supposed to be a fix for the lightning storm damage but i am confident that we can 2 heal it. Not sure what i could have done to increase my output during those phases. I'm the paladin Kalic in the group

WoL Jin'Rokh Kill

#40 Rrui

Rrui

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

If you simply drop the second paladin (Evadp) that's seemingly doing nothing, your dps will go up and hps will naturally go up as well and the boss will die.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users