• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. Post here IF:
  • Your question requires a simple, brief answer.
  • Your question does NOT belong in one of our existing threads.
  • Your question is unlikely to spark sufficient discussion to warrant being its own thread.

Please note ALL forum rules still apply. For that reason, this is NOT the thread for:
  • Begging for hand-holding
  • Asking a question that could be answered by reading another thread
  • Inventing new and interesting ways to violate the civil rights of ellipses
  • Whining
  • Violating any of our forum rules, with which you should be familiar before posting anywhere. Especially here.

#2 MicheLzorD

MicheLzorD

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Is Echo of Light of Holy affected by haste?

#3 Vintoran

Vintoran

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

No, but it is indirectly. If you have more haste you can cast more spells per time and have therefore more Echo of Light. The same is true for crit by the way: EoL can't crit, but when the triggering spell crits, EoL is higher.
Mancher wird nie süss, er fault im Sommer schon. Feigheit ist es, die ihn an seinem Aste festhält.

#4 kouby

kouby

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

On the Tsulong encounter what are you guys healing with in the 5sec bracket after the sun breath? IF+Gheal then 2 flash & 1 or 2 ticks of penance? Is it worthwhile to put a renew in there or is the sun breath buff dynamic and renewing Tsulong would be useless?

#5 Hamsda

Hamsda

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

I can only recommend you to switching to holy for that encounter, since guardian spirit once per day phase is an enormous hps boost to all healers and holys mastery does net you a benefit while discs does practically nothing.
If you only have a disc specc I'd say precast IF GH while he is casting the breath, penance and flash spam afterwards.
Since renew snapshots your buffs/debuffs it will only be empowered if cast while you have the bathed in light debuff. Therefor renew is not really worth it, maybe if you can't squeez in a flash anymore, you could apply a renew with your last gcd... as holy in serenity chakra you can apply it beforehand and it will get updated once you refresh it via a direct heal.
There are only 10 types of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.

#6 kouby

kouby

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Disc was easier for me on this fight simply because we had a rather low third healer so we were basically two healing the night phase and I simply couldn't pull the numbers as holy (I haven't played holy since WotLk). I hadn't thought about Guardian Spirit helping the other healers though so I'll probably force myself to do it next time. Thanks again.

#7 Hamsda

Hamsda

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Holy works pretty well during the night phase, too. PoM bouncing all the time due to the debuff and Coh keeping people up together with things like healing rain etc work quite well. Also shamans will love you for the guardian spirit... our resto shaman did a 3.5mio crit yesterday on the first breath during the first day phase with my GS up thanks to his mastery :)
There are only 10 types of people... those who understand binary and those who don't.

#8 clintonio12

clintonio12

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Is Atonement healing affected by stacks of Grace?

Do Atonement ticks from Holy Fire update dynamically with crit rating as other DoTs do? Does the healing from those ticks?

Do Atonement heals proc Price of Progress or is it just healing spells like PoM, PoH, Renew, etc?

Does healing done while SS is active proc Price of Progress? I know it's affected by Grace and AA, but is it still considered a "healing spell?"

#9 Hamsda

Hamsda

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Atonement Healing is affected by Grace, though you cannot apply it with dealing damage and healing through atonement.

Neither the dot component from HF nor any other DoT for that matter updates dynamically with crit rate. DoTs and HoTs always snapshot the casters current stats (crit, haste, sp, etc) and are only dynamic in regards to the debuffs/buffs the target of the DoT or HoT has.
If you have a Renew on you tank who currently does not have Grace, applying Grace to him will increase the next ticks of Renew whereas gaining a SP procc yourself does not change the value of the already running renew in any way.

I can't really help you with PoP since I don't wear it anymore and was Holy nearly all the time when I did.

#10 urumii

urumii

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Neither the dot component from HF nor any other DoT for that matter updates dynamically with crit rate. DoTs and HoTs always snapshot the casters current stats (crit, haste, sp, etc) and are only dynamic in regards to the debuffs/buffs the target of the DoT or HoT has.
If you have a Renew on you tank who currently does not have Grace, applying Grace to him will increase the next ticks of Renew whereas gaining a SP procc yourself does not change the value of the already running renew in any way.

Hamlet, who made the Boomkin guide on Elitist Jerks would disagree with you. According to him, crit updates dynamically with your dots.

DoT ticks use your spellpower, haste, and +% damage (e.g. Eclipse) values from the moment the DoT was cast--they do not update in real time until the next time you cast the DoT. Crit chance of the ticks, on the other hand, does change dynamically if you gain or lose crit buffs while the DoT is ticking.

It's possible this is a Boomkin only thing, but it would seem very odd to me if this didn't apply to all dots.

#11 Hamsda

Hamsda

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Could you provide a link to that?
I would be very puzzled from a programming standpoint why only one of the values would be checked and not the others...
Also testing it seems near impossible with an rng based stat like crit which has to change during a HoT/DoT.

Edit: I'm stupid... I noticed I can just go to the quoted post. Has Hamlet provided any tests or something for that behaviour? This really strikes me as an odd behaviour if crit were to dynamically update...

#12 ohcrocsle

ohcrocsle

Hvitserk Hook (aka Stinky)

• Guild Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Could you provide a link to that?
I would be very puzzled from a programming standpoint why only one of the values would be checked and not the others...
Also testing it seems near impossible with an rng based stat like crit which has to change during a HoT/DoT.

Edit: I'm stupid... I noticed I can just go to the quoted post. Has Hamlet provided any tests or something for that behaviour? This really strikes me as an odd behaviour if crit were to dynamically update...

DoTs/HoTs roll for crits on each tick so why not use the caster's current crit rate instead of maintaining individual crit rates for each DoT/HoT placed by the caster?

#13 urumii

urumii

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Could you provide a link to that?Has Hamlet provided any tests or something for that behaviour? This really strikes me as an odd behaviour if crit were to dynamically update...

I haven't read the whole thread, but to my knowledge he hasn't provided specific proof of this claim. I am only quoting what he wrote. He's been doing druid guides for awhile here on EJ, so he is credible.

#14 Hamsda

Hamsda

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

I know Hamlet and I read his blog but it just baffled me, although ohcrocsles explanation makes sense... crit does not need to be predetermined like haste, but why would SP be snapshotted aswell... clintonio12s question is somehow not as simple as I first thought.

#15 ohcrocsle

ohcrocsle

Hvitserk Hook (aka Stinky)

• Guild Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

I know Hamlet and I read his blog but it just baffled me, although ohcrocsles explanation makes sense... crit does not need to be predetermined like haste, but why would SP be snapshotted aswell... clintonio12s question is somehow not as simple as I first thought.

Since each spell has a different relation to your current spellpower, it probably makes more sense to assign a damage value to each tick when the spell is applied than it does to re-evaluate the amount based on current spellpower for each tick of each spell. Determining the damage output of a tick of a spell based on a spellpower value is computationally intensive compared to the (X or 2X) decision performed by a crit roll.

#16 Jeges

Jeges

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

A simple, silly question (silly because I suspect I know the answer): does Glyph of Purify work on Tsulong? I haven't been able to find an answer via Google, but unless they've made a major oversight, I suspect it does not.

#17 clintonio12

clintonio12

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hamlet's theorycrafting is actually what made me ask the question in the first place. My main is a boomkin, and since disc (which I love) also uses a dot, I figured the same rules apply. It does seem shady that crit would be the only stat to change for the duration of a dot, but it does make some sense.

I'd still like to know if SS and Atonement heals proc Price of Progress if anyone else does!

Thanks for the help thus far :)

#18 kouby

kouby

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I'd still like to know if SS and Atonement heals proc Price of Progress if anyone else does!

As Atonement healing activates spirit procs on healing trinkets I'd hazard a guess that PoP follows the same rules. Then again, this is just a guess as I don't have the trinket anymore.

Just a random question: are any of you guys using PW:Solace or is everyone sticking to Mindbender? I truly don't understand why everyone seems happy with a fixed amount of potential regen when so many of the fights accommodate low healing/regen phases.

#19 urumii

urumii

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

As Atonement healing activates spirit procs on healing trinkets I'd hazard a guess that PoP follows the same rules. Then again, this is just a guess as I don't have the trinket anymore.

I just tested Atonement and Spirit Shell. I can confirm that both of these proc Price of Progress.

#20 madar

madar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I have an alt shadowpriest with item level 480, but i am not happy with the damage done in LFR. I feel I am using the correct ability-priority. However, on this item level I don't see how should I reach the second haste breakpoint at 8085 - I am still missing around 2000. Should I keep the first haste breakpoint at 2021, and reforge to crit, or should I stick to the haste, even if is no chance to reach the second breakpoint in the near future?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users